AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-08-09, 13:23   Link #1
VampirePaladin

Girls Fightning Monsters

I am looking for series that is mainly focused on girls fighting monsters. I would prefer a female lead, but if you explain why I would enjoy it I don't mind a male lead.

Spoiler for List of series and thoughts on them:

As you might notice there are a lot of magical girl series there. I am open to other genres. You can also check out myanimelist. I am NOT interested in just a list without other information. Please tell me about the show.
VampirePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 14:41   Link #2
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Here's what I have:

Shakugan no Shana - Main girl is a warrior who fights to maintain balance in the world, and she does most of the fighting, but the main guy is there for support.

Yumekui Merry - Main girl is a denizen of the dream world with no memories of her home. Main guy helps her fight numerous enemies in an attempt to get her back home. Like Shana, girls does most of the fighting and guy is just there for support etc.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha - Like Madoka, it's a Mahou Shoujo so it a female dominate cast.

So what do you think?
Old 2012-08-09, 14:58   Link #3
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
Here's what I have:

Shakugan no Shana - Main girl is a warrior who fights to maintain balance in the world, and she does most of the fighting, but the main guy is there for support.

Yumekui Merry - Main girl is a denizen of the dream world with no memories of her home. Main guy helps her fight numerous enemies in an attempt to get her back home. Like Shana, girls does most of the fighting and guy is just there for support etc.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha - Like Madoka, it's a Mahou Shoujo so it a female dominate cast.

So what do you think?
He already seen the latter but I don't think he watched the other two.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 15:06   Link #4
VampirePaladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
Here's what I have:

So what do you think?
First, thank you for your recomendations and providing info about them.

Shakugan no Shana looks interesting, but I am concerned that it is also listed as romance. Is it the "typical male lead" kind of romance?

Yumekui Merry does look pretty promising, especially since it looks more like friendship between the leads.

Nanoha I do plan to watch eventually in my goal to see every magical girl series, but the fandom has turned me off from it to a decent extent.
Old 2012-08-09, 15:07   Link #5
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Is it the "typical male lead" kind of romance?
You've seen nothing. Watch it. You will not be disappointed.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 15:07   Link #6
VampirePaladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
He already seen the latter but I don't think he watched the other two.
I haven't seen any of them and I'm a girl
Old 2012-08-09, 16:33   Link #7
jedinat

How about Devilman Lady, except the girl also becomes a monster when she fights.

There's also Witchblade, though it wasn't my favorite...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 19:17   Link #8
gsilver

Alien Nine - Technically aliens instead of monsters, but close enough. Ranks way up there in the "dude, this is totally messed up" horror meter, especially in manga form.

Akazukin Chacha - Really fun and funny show. It features all kinds of monsters.

Project A-Ko - This has the main characher fight off aliens, mecha, and is full of over-the-top action.

Claymore - Probably the biggest "girl fights monster" themed show in recent years.
Old 2012-08-09, 20:11   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Female Leads:

Shakugan no Shana (1st season is good, 2nd season sucks, 3rd season is good again.)

Blood C (Only saw the first few episodes, a little bloody for my tastes.)

A Certain Scientific Railgun (Excessive "fanservice" but still a decent story, perhaps you ought to check out the manga if you don't like the anime)

Soul Eater
(Excessive fanservice in the first 3 or 4 episodes. Mostly disappears after that.)

Chrono Crusade

Read Or Die (The OVA series)

Rinne no Lagrange (Haven't seen)

Fate/zero (Haven't seen)

Male Lead but with significant female fighters:

Chrome Shelled Regios
Some good female characters to go along with the male lead.

Neon Genesis Evangelion Classic anime, has several very strong female characters.

Fate Stay Night
(Haven't seen)

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 21:32   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
Claymore - Probably the biggest "girl fights monster" themed show in recent years.
This. This. A thousand times this.

Next I'll suggest Blood+, a show loosely based on Blood, The Last Vampire, which you've seen. Saya appears again, but the story is much more complex. The chiropterans and their masters are still the enemy, though. I thought the series was more interesting than the movie, but I had some issues with the screenplay. It certainly fits your request, though. You can watch it at Hulu, but only with English dubs. There's a two box set of all fifty episodes on DVD, but it's very hard to find. Amazon has only third-party sellers for the first box with stratospheric prices; the second box is $90.

If you'd like a moe-themed series I recommend Sky Girls; make sure you watch the DVD Specials as well. It's none too serious, though, unlike Claymore. The tracker on the AS series page for Sky Girls is dead; use Google.

Yakushiji Ryoko
is the Head of the Supernatural Division of the Tokyo Police. She and her male subordinate fight monsters together in most every episode. It's actually not a bad show when it transcends the "monster-of-the-week" format.

Chizuku, the "Daughter of Twenty Faces," fights augmented humans who might as well be monsters.

Balsa squares off against a monster in Seirei no Moribito, but that's almost incidental to the rest of the story.

Finally, I'm a bit surprised no one suggested Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The opponents are witches not monsters, and incredibly stylized witches at that. Nevertheless it would be my next suggestion after Claymore.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-08-09 at 22:31.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 00:42   Link #11
Sky Knight
Darkness Is In All Of Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post

Soul Eater
(Excessive fanservice in the first 3 or 4 episodes. Mostly disappears after that.)

[)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
This. This. A thousand times this.

Next I'll suggest Blood+, a show loosely based on Blood, The Last Vampire, which you've seen. Saya appears again, but the story is much more complex. The chiropterans and their masters are still the enemy, though. I thought the series was more interesting than the movie, but I had some issues with the screenplay. It certainly fits your request, though. You can watch it at Hulu, but only with English dubs. There's a two box set of all fifty episodes on DVD, but it's very hard to find. Amazon has only third-party sellers for the first box with stratospheric prices; the second box is $90.

Claymore.
I second these, and maybe you should try to watch Ga-Rei Zero It has to female leads and is a pretty touching anime, its only 12 episodes but I strongly suggest =)
Old 2012-08-10, 00:51   Link #12
VampirePaladin

Thanks everyone.

I have already seen Soul Eater (which I love), Evangelion (I don't like the series but I like the rebuild moves), R.O.D. OVA, and Madoka Magica (which is listed in the series I have seen and that I have read Kazumi and Oriko and even listed under my favorites). Chrome Shelled Regios I have started but haven't gotten around to finishing.

I am not interested in the Blood+ anime at all from what I have read about it.

I think Claymore will be one of the first I check out, helps that there is a legal stream of it.
Old 2012-08-10, 02:43   Link #13
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHime View Post
I second these, and maybe you should try to watch Ga-Rei Zero It has to female leads and is a pretty touching anime, its only 12 episodes but I strongly suggest =)
I second this. It's very touching between sisters, lovers etc... and the action is high up in the ranks.

If your looking for squeal, than this anime has a long manga chapters 125+ (if I recall). Ironically this anime was made after the manga completion.
Old 2012-08-10, 18:51   Link #14
Lost Cause

Have you tried Devil Hunter Yohko?
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-10, 19:00   Link #15
VampirePaladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Have you tried Devil Hunter Yohko?
Yep, one of the first series I saw when I got into anime. Though thank you for reminding me of it, I just now realized I never put it on my anime list when doing old series I had seen.
Old 2012-08-10, 20:14   Link #16
AnimeFangirl

Freezing and Strike Witches. More girls fighting monsters than you can shake a stick (get your mind outta the gutter) at.
Old 2012-08-11, 03:10   Link #17
Dawnstorm

Otome Youkai Zakuro. Female fox spirits paired off with male army officers to fight rogue youkai in a human/spirits relations project. The girls pretty much do all the fighting, and the males are mostly there for support. It's set during a historic period (of an alternate universe Japan, I think) where Japan opens up to the west (but that angle is a bit underexplored).
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 14:54   Link #18
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
If you dont mind some gore you could watch:
Ga-Rei -Zero- An elite squadron trained to combat supernatural forces is called in to investigate reports of invisible monsters terrorising Tokyo, but their mission is complicated by the interference of a rogue exorcist. When the mysterious female slaughters the outmatched attack force, her former comrades are ordered to lock down the crime scene — and forever silence their old friend.
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 21:09   Link #19
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Quote:
Ga-Rei: Zero
I fourth this (is that even an idiom?).

In this show you've got great action but also a very straight-forward and effective plot dealing with friendship and love. Highly recommended for the low cost of 12 episodes!
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
girls, monsters, recommendation