AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2012-12-06, 02:50   Link #5201
molitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
It was a good episode. However, there were parts of Lucy's fight that did not make sense, like why didn't she use Cancer to completely cut Flare's hair, or why Taurus did not react to Flare's nice body. Also, Natsu was the only one noticing that something was wrong and helped out makes everyone else seem clueless. A lot more people should have figured it out or notice that Flare was cheating.

Finally, the biggest gripe of all was that no official declared Flare defaulted because the officials were not able to figure out or sense that Raven Tail cheated, while so many of the contestants and the old annoucer noticed. He could have said something but chose not to.

Other than that, the fight was great. It's like all the previous arcs. Fairy Tail has to lose first before they win it all in the end.
The first part of your question here is very simple to answer taking aways one weapon is not what Fairy Tail considers to be a fair fight. Not a single one of them has every taken weapon away but fought the opponent one on one even if the item gave there opponent the advantage. Lucy, is part of Fairy Tail and carries Fairy Tail's motto.

Secondly Lucy was easily winning Flare did not have a chance against Lucy until Flare cheated by threatening the child.

The only part of this arc I did not like is that they cheated so badly cancelling out her powerful magic that the ones refereeing had to realize but did not act on it. That cheating was allowed basically in what is suppose to be the great games competition.

What I am curious is about why did the author cause her great magic to fail? I imagine the author wanted to make sure that her great magic is unknown so it can be used later as the major balancing factor that saves the day otherwise I can not fathom any other reason for it to be even showcased in this arc than cancelled out.

Two factors is why I think her great magic was able to be cancelled out..

For those that have not read the manga may not want to read this...

Spoiler:
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 14:21   Link #5202
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Thinking on it, somewhat annoyed Lucy was counted out at that point. Yeah, she blew most of her magic on that attack, but we've seen that someone like Loke can just open the gate via his own magic. On that not I'm just surprised that none at least showed up to help her leave the arena.

Also an issue of when the fight was over. She's considered out of the fight after her big move, but not when she's tied up and getting beaten half to death?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
I don't really mind the cheating of Raven Tail. It was clear from the moment they took out Wendy that they aren't fighting fair. Of course it's low but that just shows that Fairy Tail is still too weak. And just for the record there was nothing wrong with the way Narlpudding fought the hidden game.
Cheating is ok because they've been cheating from the start? I'd love to pull that kind of explanation at an exam. I'm not sure what being strong or weak even has to do with this. How is being stronger going to do anything about hostages being taken? If they had some crazy tournament before the time skip the same thing could have happened with them on top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
They both noticed instantly.
I'm pretty sure that's referring to the hostage taking not the cheating at the end. How Makarov and Mavis didn't notice the hair waving around even though Lucy could see it from that far away.
Old 2012-12-06, 15:53   Link #5203
molitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Thinking on it, somewhat annoyed Lucy was counted out at that point. Yeah, she blew most of her magic on that attack, but we've seen that someone like Loke can just open the gate via his own magic. On that not I'm just surprised that none at least showed up to help her leave the arena.

Also an issue of when the fight was over. She's considered out of the fight after her big move, but not when she's tied up and getting beaten half to death?
Cheating is ok because they've been cheating from the start? I'd love to pull that kind of explanation at an exam. I'm not sure what being strong or weak even has to do with this. How is being stronger going to do anything about hostages being taken? If they had some crazy tournament before the time skip the same thing could have happened with them on top.
I'm pretty sure that's referring to the hostage taking not the cheating at the end. How Makarov and Mavis didn't notice the hair waving around even though Lucy could see it from that far away.
Do not forget that most of the time the hair wasn't not much over the ankle. She only made it near the head of the child long enough for Lucy to be able to see.. later it specifically showed the hair not much but a foot out of the ground.

Good think Lucy said it under her breath when she told Flare that she would go that far.. Natsu's hearing is better than we knew and a good thing too he realized from the conversation that something was wrong.

Secondly the others attention was on Lucy and why all of a sudden she stopped fighting you could even see them leaning forward trying to figure out what was going on so would not have been able to see the hair even peripherally.
Old 2012-12-06, 18:29   Link #5204
TeNMaN
Lost & Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
Do not forget that most of the time the hair wasn't not much over the ankle. She only made it near the head of the child long enough for Lucy to be able to see.. later it specifically showed the hair not much but a foot out of the ground.

Good think Lucy said it under her breath when she told Flare that she would go that far.. Natsu's hearing is better than we knew and a good thing too he realized from the conversation that something was wrong.

Secondly the others attention was on Lucy and why all of a sudden she stopped fighting you could even see them leaning forward trying to figure out what was going on so would not have been able to see the hair even peripherally.
This is exactly correct and what I think a lot of people are missing.

It's not like Flare was waving 10 feet of hair in the back of Asuka or something lol. The hair was down near the ground and just waiting to pounce where no one could see it, including Natsu. The only reason Natsu knew where to look is that his superior hearing heard Lucy say Asuka's name. So Natsu rushed over there not knowing what the danger was until he got there and then saw the hair.

Also, as some have mentioned, I think nearly all the powerful mages in the arena new RT was cheating. The problem, as many have mentioned, is that no one can prove who it was that interfered and what specifically they did to interfere. So you can't prove anything even though you know foul play was involved.

I did think it was interesting that Lucy mentioned she wasn't at full power and even with Gemini she wasn't sure if she could pull off a full force attack. I wonder if that played into helping RT cancel her spell out.

Regardless, awesome episode!! They are really building a good foundation of emotion to make the arc epic! I'm just hoping Lucy get to avenge all her unfortunate battles by making the difference at the end of the series!
TeNMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 18:41   Link #5205
MAX_COLA_POWER!

I can't wait for the next fight>v<. Seņor Pistolas Fernandes (Mystogan) vs Jura -I did earth bending before it was cool- Neksis. AWESOME!, makes me wish Gildarts was there...
Old 2012-12-07, 02:30   Link #5206
homaster
inFORM Decisions

The OVA was on point!!!

The animation is astonishing, if they do every episode with the same animation then we would be having good times
Why don't they do so anyway ?
Loved the manga scenes and Lucy was randomly hilarious

Last edited by homaster; 2013-01-11 at 03:48.
homaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 03:01   Link #5207
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

^...cuz 'good times' cost money.
Old 2012-12-07, 12:11   Link #5208
homaster
inFORM Decisions

What do you think is the best selling point of Fairy Tail?
Title said it all, to be more exact, what makes you want to keep reading this manga

Note: I'm posting my opinions about the positive and negative points, so don't get mad reading it

1. The Setting/The World/The Theme
A world where magic is the main source of power, and it can even be bought or sold. The age seems to be mixed between classic and modern.
Just a twist of a regular fantasy rpg world, used in many manga, and not really unique for me.

2. The Story/The Plot
A team of mage going to mission when somehow they got involved in bigger action including personal problem or guild war. But there are no really main goal like "pirate king" or "hokage", so the story usually going nowhere. Although lately there is a bit foreshadowing of main villain like Zeref and Acnologia, too many minor plot making the story still seems really slow

3. The Characters
Most characters in the beginning are unique and a bit too unreal (building-destroyer, stripper, etc) and people likes to see them. But because of this unique persona, it's hard to change them and some become weird if they got too much changes so mashima mostly makes them just the same from the beginning until now, and most old readers find them become a bit boring. Most new characters usually are not as unique as the beginning and some feels just an upgraded copy of them.

4. The Fighting/The Action
Most characters have their own unique style, but most of their moves feel repetitive after a while since they look basically the same. And some power-up becoming ridiculous because mashima seems to running out of ideas (eating lightning, hey). And he seems to be lazy to make chapters when they training and get straight to the main plot, so readers mostly think Natsu from before is still the same in the after.
Some battles can get heat and emotional, while some becoming comedy and TROLLING. Even serious battle feels like trolling because mashima repeating the same pattern

5. The Comedy
Many comedy makes FT feels lighter compared to other shonen manga and enjoyable. But too much comedy without dark side makes it sometimes boring and too predictable

6. The Drama/Tragedy
Some of characters flashback is a "bit" tragic, but when it ends it's just happily ever after with their guild. The guild sometimes get sad moment, but the way they "overcome anything with friendship" also becoming more ridiculous...

7. The Fanservice
okay, i found this manga got more fanservice compared to other usual shonen manga. Most of the girl are young, cute and big boobs (and i'm getting bored of it). And mashima sometimes inserted comedic fanservice inside serious fight.
Heck, even most of new chapters lately are fanservice.

8. Others.. (explain)

Last edited by homaster; 2013-01-11 at 03:47.
homaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 12:49   Link #5209
molitar

They are always out powered and out gunned but pull through do to there companions. They are the underdogs when it comes to being out powered by the villains. It is this tenacity that keeps me coming back. Even though they are out powered usually by an artifact they never try to take the artifact or weapon away but fight fair themselves.

Guess that is what keeps me reading it.
Old 2012-12-07, 22:42   Link #5210
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
160 is out.

Spider woman vs. Ren, War Cry from QC vs. Orga from RT, and Mystogan vs. Jura... with an unexpected result (well, if you haven't read the manga, anyway, heh). Ultear is such a troll, heh. Other than that, not much to write home about. Other than Charle's bad premonitions (I know, it's supposed to be Carla, but I like Charle, dangnabit!)

Looks like Natsu gets into the action next week, with hints that a vehicle is involved, and thus his motion sickness will most likely get triggered...
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 23:00   Link #5211
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Spoiler for 160:
Old 2012-12-07, 23:01   Link #5212
Jellal
Anime Critic

UNoubtable my favorite episode yet!
haha, they made it better than it was shown in the manga.
Too bad they didn't decide to extend it. Laxus expression of "Lame" at the end, gave me good laughs!

That aside, can't wait for laxus to fight!
Jellal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 23:01   Link #5213
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for 160:
Old 2012-12-08, 00:10   Link #5214
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep160:
Old 2012-12-08, 00:26   Link #5215
Simonsy

The thing I hated most about this episode was that it reminded me that we never got to see Mystogun actually ever fight serious for a whole battle. Only a quick glimpse once against Laxus.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 00:40   Link #5216
forevers247

For me I wanna be like Gray. Because he is used to the cold and also can form ice with his hands.But except I'm not gonna take my shirt off though..... That would be embarrasing. It's really cool when your used to the cold and you don't need a jacket to wear in winter
Old 2012-12-08, 00:47   Link #5217
HiddenMessage
Tofu Driver

Spoiler for 160:
HiddenMessage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 00:49   Link #5218
Simonsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by forevers247 View Post
For me I wanna be like Gray. Because he is used to the cold and also can form ice with his hands.But except I'm not gonna take my shirt off though..... That would be embarrasing. It's really cool when your used to the cold and you don't need a jacket to wear in winter
You in wrong thread? Sounds like a comment in regards to a "who would you want to be in (manga) type thread"

To those who have read the manga, Do you think they will animate ch. 298 and 299 in the respective time slots they happen, or do you think they will animate them after they animate 297 material? You know like animate 298 after ch. 290 for example. Or 299 after ch. 285. You know something like that? I kind of hope they do.

To those non manga readers wondering what they are. They are basically just side chapters that take place sometime during the grand magic games. Like the start of one says "during night 3 of the grand magic games" When the previous chapter we were on night 4 or 5 or something. Basically a flashback showing what happened that we didnt' see earlier. Again just a fun side chapter that affects nothing really. Most think Hiro was just stalling to have ch. 300 be some big reveal. Thus he threw in two "filler type" chapters.

Last edited by Simonsy; 2012-12-08 at 01:21.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 01:19   Link #5219
NatsuDragneel
DragonSlayer

all hail fairy tail and natsu
NatsuDragneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 01:45   Link #5220
Taco Bell
Gordita's for Everyone

I was surprised by ogras lightning. I thought it was going to be an all black bolt instead of the yellow outlined in black.
Taco Bell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen