Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-21, 11:28   Link #121
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Both Amagami and PhotoKano are not exactly like the usual VN (especially not the latter), because both games are probably closer to the old style dating sim (like the tokimemo series) in which you had a menu in which you had (the opportunity) to meet the girl of your liking instead going into routes based on choices.

Making an adaptation of that is probably less restricting (plotwise) than the usual VN
Both Amagami and PhotoKano are dating sims. Dating sim and VN are separate terms. A lot of dating sims are VNs(but not all, remember Dream C Club for example) and only small part of the VNs are dating sims. But this once are dating sims without any complaints.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 11:58   Link #122
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Both Amagami and PhotoKano are dating sims. Dating sim and VN are separate terms. A lot of dating sims are VNs(but not all, remember Dream C Club for example) and only small part of the VNs are dating sims. But this once are dating sims without any complaints.
While Amagami looks like dating sim, i think it's closer to a VN than photokano (which focused more on photographing the girls) or dream c club (the idol element)

Anyway my point was that Amagami and Photokano had more freedom for adapting into an anime with an omnibus format, because the original games had a dating sim structure unlike Walkure Romanze
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 12:31   Link #123
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

The main thing making some game a date sim are specific gameplay features: affection bar, specific events for every girl instead of choices like in normal VNs and so on. If they are presented — the game is date sim.
Old 2013-07-21, 12:59   Link #124
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
The main thing making some game a date sim are specific gameplay features: affection bar, specific events for every girl instead of choices like in normal VNs and so on. If they are presented — the game is date sim.
Affection bar is not neccesarily a dating sim-only mechanic, school days also uses such a bar and it's obviously not a dating sim. Eventhough that bar was only meant to meassure Sekai or Kotonoha's affection.

Specific events is vague, if we take eroges that have more gameplay element in it like Pastel Chime or Pastel Chime continue (haven't played Bindseeker because i didn't like strategy games) then you will also see lot's of specific events based on whom you took in your party.
Also those games usually have affection meters for characters used in battle
Old 2013-07-21, 13:22   Link #125
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

Quote:
While Amagami looks like dating sim, i think it's closer to a VN than photokano (which focused more on photographing the girls) or dream c club (the idol element)

Anyway my point was that Amagami and Photokano had more freedom for adapting into an anime with an omnibus format, because the original games had a dating sim structure unlike Walkure Romanze
But they could still go omnibus if they wanted, I mean the game featured several heroine routes you could complete, so there must be some way the anime could move from something like say; a common route to a more specific one. Same thing applies to pretty much any VN with more than one route you can enter, even the ones with enforced playing order. Even though omnibus for anime adaptations goes well with the dating sim themed games like Amagami, I don't think that format should only be restricted to just dating sim type games. Regular VNs could definitely have that style with their anime adaptation and still do pretty well I think.
greensoulreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 16:40   Link #126
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Events in RPG/Strategy VNs are a bit different thing. You could have some events for secondary heroines but main heroine routes still depend on choices mainly.

Arghh. It's a bit hard to explain right what I mean. Just that date sims have their specific set of gamplay elements so you always could separate once from other VNs and games.

greensoulreaper

The problem with omnibus adaptation is the amount of eps needed. One thing dating seems or moege like Yosuga no Sora there you could cut a lot of plot without serious affection for the story and totally other thing story-centered things. So they make only one route with a bits of others at best(see Key adaptations). Thats why I like VNs with arc story like Ef there you could make full linear story but still get couple of routes in fact.
Old 2013-07-21, 17:26   Link #127
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
greensoulreaper

The problem with omnibus adaptation is the amount of eps needed. One thing dating seems or moege like Yosuga no Sora there you could cut a lot of plot without serious affection for the story and totally other thing story-centered things.
Personally i thought YnS was more a charage than a moege, because it had (to a certain extent) developed characters and drama.

Quote:
So they make only one route with a bits of others at best(see Key adaptations). Thats why I like VNs with arc story like Ef there you could make full linear story but still get couple of routes in fact.
The chapters of the original "Ef a fairy tale of two" were pretty linear (without any real branching routes/paths)to begin with, so of course it's easier to adapt that into a linear anime. Eventhough the anime did skip and alter some story elements of the original, but whatever.

Last edited by hyl; 2013-07-21 at 17:43.
Old 2013-07-25, 15:55   Link #128
PGilis
B-Gamer and anime otaku

Send a message via Yahoo to PGilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by greensoulreaper View Post
Unfortunately that is the typical route they go...the "default" or essentially the poster-girl heroine for the series always gets the focus and all the other heroines get shafted. I know some people hate it, but I prefer the omnibus format that shows like Amagami SS adapted. It gives a chance for all heroines to have their story told. Omnibus format could be a disaster if the pacing is off though. Photo Kano's anime wasn't as satisfying as I thought it would be - it felt too rushed to me, and that I think is an example of horrible omnibus-style adaptations of VNs.
Yeah, i know.

I'm not telling the "typical childhood-friend girl" is allways bad, it's just sometimes there are other heroines in the same show who are far more interesting and/or could create some more interesting drama than her, like how happened in Shuffle! for example.

There's even a chance the chosen main girl is exactly the weakest / least interesting / more boring / more enervating female character of the show. If given the choice to the fans, the big majority would choose anyone BUT her! (I'm looking at you, HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD, TSUYOKISS and OREIMO!!

Like you said, surely an ominibus format made right would be a better choice for a show based on a romance game than risking ruining the entire show with a bad heroine, or no heroine at all.
PGilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 07:05   Link #129
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Old 2013-08-10, 08:09   Link #130
kobester11

8-bit does a good job... but i still prefer go hands...
kobester11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 13:33   Link #131
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I like how the final shot emphasizes on LEGS.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 23:40   Link #132
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGilis View Post
I'm not telling the "typical childhood-friend girl" is allways bad, it's just sometimes there are other heroines in the same show who are far more interesting and/or could create some more interesting drama than her, like how happened in Shuffle! for example.
While I'm glad that Ai Shimizu has a starring role in this anime (I don't believe she's had one for a while) I'd be perfectly happy if Celia won in the anime, since Kei Mizusawa (Celia's seiyuu) really deserves the mainstream anime exposure.

On a side note, I wonder whether Hiroko Taguchi will voice Risa Eostole differently than Sora Kasugano from Yosuga no Sora--Kei Komori (the original game's artist) practically cribbed Sora's design from YnS and changed the colours for Walkure Romanze.

Quote:
That looks nice, although it's too bad that we won't be seeing Mio's long hair for long (get it?).
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 01:16   Link #133
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
That looks nice, although it's too bad that we won't be seeing Mio's long hair for long (get it?).
I was initially going to be annoyed by the "spoiler", but I can't very well complain when the key visual for the show itself gives it away.
Old 2013-08-11, 03:42   Link #134
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

But she looks better with short one
Old 2013-08-11, 04:56   Link #135
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
But she looks better with short one
This is one of the rare cases when I prefer the new, short haircut since I have a hard time trying to get used with her old hairstyle, but we'll see.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 05:28   Link #136
n0m@n
C-Z

Mio certainly looks good with short-hair.
And thats weird because I usually prefer and think that girls looks betters with long hair.
Old 2013-08-11, 11:44   Link #137
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Blasphemy! Pink hair should be long. (T_T @ feldt grace)

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 12:51   Link #138
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I was initially going to be annoyed by the "spoiler", but I can't very well complain when the key visual for the show itself gives it away.
Didn't the first PV depict her with short hair too? The game website itself also largely depicts her with short hair as well.

Spoiler for Comparison to Hoshizora and KoiChoco anime, with end-spoilers:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-08-12 at 17:08. Reason: added spoiler tags
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 13:17   Link #139
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:
Aside from being spoilers for Hoshikake and Koichoco, she did voice the main/central heroine in those games >_>
Old 2013-08-11, 14:31   Link #140
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I bet osananajimi will win once more. Or we'll won't get any completed romance at all. Just another open harem end

Tags
ecchi, harem, jousting, knights, romance