AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2009-03-12, 04:10   Link #81
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
What about the original TV series? Was that also based off a novel or was it it's own thing? Or more than likely based off of a manga.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 05:32   Link #82
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
What about the original TV series? Was that also based off a novel or was it it's own thing? Or more than likely based off of a manga.
Manga and LN has nothing to do with each other.
Remember the first and second movies were both a re-vision of the manga and the second movie was about Kyosuke in his second year in college.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 15:09   Link #83
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

I see. I knew that the movies were sort of remakes but I never knew what the base of the original TV series was.
Old 2009-03-15, 07:25   Link #84
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Okay, uhm...Hi I'm usually stuck lurking on the Spice and Wolf forums, with occasional flurries of posts, but I finally decided to branch out after 1 year and see what else the A-S forums have to offer. And here I find this...^_^

Anyway, there have been some interesting novels mentioned, but for the most part, it seems to reiterate novels undergoing some form of work at Baka-Tsuki, whether a teaser, stalled project, review, etc. (Ex: Boku no Imouto....C^3....etc.)

Recently, I've come up with an idea, and it's been in place for around a week or so now, and I'm wondering what you guy's think, posting here about light novels, reviews, recommendations, etc etc etc.

http://shou-setsu.blogspot.com/

I'm using this website for synopsis' only. It won't have long stupid reviews, boring information, or be cluttered like wikipedia. It will be a clean image of a novel, then a synopsis underneath it. Each week I've added a poll, and you can vote on which novel you'd like me to translate a teaser for. The teaser will usually be short, around 3 japanese pages in length. Enough to give people an idea of the grammar, word choice, etc, and some more detailed background on the story. That way, if someone else is interested in translating one of them, they have a place to start.

I just got really tired of searching for novels on english sites, it was really hard and aggravating, lol. So on this site, I have the novels separated into their respective labels, for example, if you want to see all the novels under the Dengeki Bunko label I have a synopsis translated for, you need only click on the tag link: Dengeki Bunko. You can't miss it. *right side of the blog*

I will be adding and changing the site more as time goes on depending on what would make it work better for its purpose.

Anyway, tell me what you think.

On another quick note, when I was testing it, I used some novels that already have their synopsis to test layout with, so there are like 7 novels you should recognize. Among them: Spice and Wolf, Toradora! Chrome Shelled Regios, Puipui! Full Metal Panic, and a few others.

As for novels you may not have heard of, what do you think of:

Nine's Contract, Accel World, or Dragon Crisis!. Have you heard of them before? Anyway, I'm sure you'll find it pretty nice, and if not....well, at least I've got a place where I can browse for novels when I want a new one. (aka reading english is still faster than japanese atm)

What do you think?
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 07:35   Link #85
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Ah, so you were hiding there all along XD. I had some titles I'd like to suggest being put there, and all of them are not much heard of.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 08:17   Link #86
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

do you have a synopsis to go along with them as well, or do you just know of the title? If you come up with a synopsis and can get me an image larger than or equal to 200x286 pixels, (I resize all images to those specs), then I'll put it up and link the credit to "Soul Assasin @ Anime-Suki" unless you've got another name/place. (also putting in their label would be helpful)

But sure, I'm up for it.

PS: Dengeki is by far the most famous label to my knowledge, but I'm realizing Dash has a couple good ones too, as do most of the labels. HJ Bunko J, GaGa, MF, etc etc.
Old 2009-03-15, 08:39   Link #87
Tri-ring

Each label has it's own signature series;

Kadokawa Sneakers has Rental Magica
MF has Kanokon
Fujimi Fantasia has Tenchi Muyo series
Dash has Kurenai
Dengeki has Toradora and Wolf and Spice
Which label handled Kyoran kazoku Niki?
One of the odd ones is the Moribito series which isn't a light novel at all.
The hard backs came out from Kaiseisha first as boy's novel like the Hardy boys, but it caught on by more mature fans and Shincho-sha is reprinting them as paper backs now.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 10:16   Link #88
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaghyn16 View Post
do you have a synopsis to go along with them as well, or do you just know of the title? If you come up with a synopsis and can get me an image larger than or equal to 200x286 pixels, (I resize all images to those specs), then I'll put it up and link the credit to "Soul Assasin @ Anime-Suki" unless you've got another name/place. (also putting in their label would be helpful)

But sure, I'm up for it.

PS: Dengeki is by far the most famous label to my knowledge, but I'm realizing Dash has a couple good ones too, as do most of the labels. HJ Bunko J, GaGa, MF, etc etc.
I do have a synopsis and pictures of them, however as much as how I'd like to PM you about them my current connection will take me forever (or even fail) to do so. By the way, you can credit me as "Assassin @ Baka-Tsuki". Labels? Labels as in publisher names? o.o

Anyway I'll get to you about them later once I manage to recompile every single bit of information I can gather (and have gathered).

About publishers, Dengeki is by far the most famous that I've heard so far. Next one I know of is HJ Bunko, Dash is new to me until someone said their signature title is Kure-nai. And Dengeki doesn't only have Toradora and S&W as their signature titles, they have a loooottt... Shana etc.

Old 2009-03-15, 11:52   Link #89
Solafighter
Hige

My novel reommendation:

Onegai Twins (Please Twins) | おねがい☆ツインズ

"We might be related. We might be strangers."

Kamishiro Maiku, who was abnomed in an early age, has only one hint about his family and house. A picture, about him and his twin sister, playing in front of the house, where they were born in. After the seeing this house in the news, that was reporting about UFO´s close by the area, he decided to move in this house to discover and find himself and his family. After a while living in this house, he could affort by working as a programer, 2 girls, who have the same picture as him, appear. One of the girls (Miyafuji Miina[Red hair on cover], Onodera Karen[Green heir on cover]) is the twin and one the stranger. The problem: They dont know, who is related to Maiku, and who isnt.

Onegai Twins is a story, that happens some time after the Onegai Teacher storyline with some known characters like for example the president of the student council, Morino Ichigo and the teacher from outer space, Mizuho Kazami.

Its a toutching story about 2 girls and a boy, who dont know, who is related, and who is not. Who might be part of the family, and who might be a completly stranger. Who might be allowed to love Maiku as a lover, and who as a twin.

Onegai Twins, Volume 1 "One and a Pair" and Volume 2 "A Pair and One".
By Go Zappa.

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

Compare: Anime and novel.

From my little experience, i have with novels of animes, i must say, that this novel is a masterpiece in that way, by keeping every small detail of the characters, but with other outcomes. Novels descripe in more detail what the people are feeling and thinking and this novel will ban you directly into the story.

To enjoy the Onegai Tins series, watch the anime first and then the novel. Without spoiling any detail, the novel doesnt follow the exactly happenings of the anime.

To enjoy the novel even better: Buy/get the soundtracks of Onegai Twins(from my point of view, it has a brilliant soundtrack) and let them play silently in the background. Thats the way, i did and i love it.

----

huh, its been a long time, since i wrote something like that and it was in school.
Oh well, hope you like it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 2009-03-15, 22:01   Link #90
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

@ Solafighter - Question, wasn't the base of both Onegai Twins and Teacher a game? I really wasn't thinking that it was novel. Or is the novel just an adaption like the anime?

@ seaghyn16 - I like what you're trying to do. That's one thing that's really bothered me is the lack of a concise housing of all things light novels in English, or rather in general. I would love to have something like AniDB.net for light novels. (Please inform me if I’ve been ignorant of my utopia) If your site could become something close to that that'd be great.

Last edited by Ryuou; 2009-03-15 at 22:12.
Old 2009-03-15, 22:28   Link #91
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

There's Lightnovel.Org but then again I realized it's kinda on hiatus.

Old 2009-03-15, 23:34   Link #92
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

@Ryuou: As for the future of "my" (it's technically google's, lol) site, I really can't say. Sure I'd like to see it have it's own domain name, get some good site revamping, maybe using dreamweaver, etc to make a killer website, but as it is, I'd need both $$ and time, both of which are already fairly limited. So as for now, all I can manage to do is keep the blog updated as you see at the site, and add gadgets and small features here and there to help make light novel browsing easier and more interesting.

@Assassin: True there's LN.ORG, but if you go to their site, 1) no updates since November, 2) They have 9 Japanese Novels Reviewed, 3 of which can be found by googling their names, 3) the reviews have personal opinion on writing style and feel of the book, over a more detailed synopsis, 4) Under the Japanese releases section, you can browse books and titles to find one you like, but without a spoiler and a link to a page with out one, or else it's in Japanese, it's fairly useless for those who can only read/browse in english.

With those reasons, I've made my site . Reviews are great and stuff, but usually you want to find a book first, then you want to see what someone has to say about it. I help you find that book, LN.ORG (if they were more active) would tell you what to expect about the feel when reading it, and then where/how to buy it. So for learning translators or something, finding the book on the blog, then it's up to them. Easy synopsis, then they will know if they want to take the time to dig deeper or not.

anyway...off to work O_o got to hand out more flyers to college age students to see if any want to go to Australia for a homestay/study abroad program utilizing the english school that hired me 's teaching procedure

Last edited by seaghyn16; 2009-03-16 at 04:58.
Old 2009-03-16, 08:14   Link #93
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Double Post O_o

Anyway the teaser for Accel World is done.

For the record, I took 3 days to translate this, lol but with the early votes I expected it to win, so I started early. Even so, I didn't translate alot. It's kind of difficult. Makes me want to really go back to PuiPui! lol.

In the future, the translation will probably come out more around the end of the week, as opposed to the same time the poll ends.

Here is the link to the teasers at the blog:

http://shou-setsu.blogspot.com/search/label/Teasers

You can read the synopsis on that page as well, and underneath the synopsis is where the link is to bring you to the media-fire page for the teaser. (with images, lol)
Old 2009-03-16, 10:48   Link #94
Solafighter
Hige

Well i searched all along and im pretty sure, that there is no game about Onegai Twins.

If someone knows it, please post some informations about it(I MUST HAVE IT, THEN! ).

Im pretty sure, its

Anime(2003) -> Light Novel(2004) & OVA -> Manga(2005)
Old 2009-03-17, 01:50   Link #95
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
There's Lightnovel.Org but then again I realized it's kinda on hiatus.
Yeah I've been there several times hoping that it would be the one, but it does seem to have died.

@ seaghyn16 - Continuing on the path you are, I think you could still compile something impressive. I'm glad you're taking the time to do it. And who knows what it can grow into in the future. Oh, and I tried to vote but it didn't work for some reason. I guess I'll go ahead and favorite you blog.

Edit: Oh and how come it seems like you're doing teasers for novels that already have them? Are you redoing someone else's teaser/synopsis or something?

Quote:
Well i searched all along and im pretty sure, that there is no game about Onegai Twins.

If someone knows it, please post some informations about it(I MUST HAVE IT, THEN! ).

Im pretty sure, its

Anime(2003) -> Light Novel(2004) & OVA -> Manga(2005)
Hmm...interesting. I was really under the impression that the anime wasn't the original. Guess I was wrong though. I wonder what was making me think this. Did the CD dramas happen to come out first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
I would love to have something like AniDB.net for light novels. (Please inform me if I’ve been ignorant of my utopia)
And to clarify this part in hopes of actually getting some info, I'm happy with either a Japanese or an English site. I actually only really anticipate a Japanese site as light novels still have a long ways to go in the English speaking world.
Old 2009-03-17, 05:07   Link #96
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Quote:
@ seaghyn16 - Continuing on the path you are, I think you could still compile something impressive. I'm glad you're taking the time to do it. And who knows what it can grow into in the future. Oh, and I tried to vote but it didn't work for some reason. I guess I'll go ahead and favorite you blog.

Edit: Oh and how come it seems like you're doing teasers for novels that already have them? Are you redoing someone else's teaser/synopsis or something?
@Ryuou:

Well, I'll work on it ^_^. When it comes down to it, I saw some domain/webhosting combo's with unlimited space/bandwidth and included domain name, for $5.oo a month. If any of you guys know of something cheap along those lines, just for me to keep a blog on a site I can customize completely, let me know would you?

Hmm...When did you try to vote?? I was messing with the voting mechanism all yesterday, trying to figure out the right time for me vs google's internal clock's time, so the poll's ending time jumped around alot. It says now that there is one vote, so I'm assuming it will work, maybe just give it some time? If not, then I might take it down and put in a new one.

Doing teasers for novels that already have them?? I try googling the novels before posting them to see if anybody has done anything with them, and to my knowledge, nobody else should have put a teaser out...but I could be wrong...? Can you give me an example, or show me where the other teaser is?
Old 2009-03-17, 06:57   Link #97
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Double Post:

I have officially bought a Domain Name and Web Hosting for 1.99 a month, for the first six months. After which, it will be 3.99/month.

Upload Space: 10GB

Transfer Bandwidth/month: 300GB

As the site will contain really just text and images, and has an expected maximum of 2-3,000 page views / month, and each of the images will be around 40kb, the 300GB transfer limit seems quite reasonable.

Anyway, when it all gets finalized, and I get something up, I'll let you know the name for the website.
Old 2009-03-17, 14:14   Link #98
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Quote:
Hmm...When did you try to vote?? I was messing with the voting mechanism all yesterday, trying to figure out the right time for me vs google's internal clock's time, so the poll's ending time jumped around alot. It says now that there is one vote, so I'm assuming it will work, maybe just give it some time? If not, then I might take it down and put in a new one.
I don't remember the exact date, but I think it was this weekend. There were already two votes, and I think it said that the poll was still open. But whenever I clicked on the vote button, it just showed me the vote results. Oh well, it's working for me now though. That one vote is mine.

Quote:
Doing teasers for novels that already have them?? I try googling the novels before posting them to see if anybody has done anything with them, and to my knowledge, nobody else should have put a teaser out...but I could be wrong...? Can you give me an example, or show me where the other teaser is?
On your own blog already. These are the choices available for the poll and what's already on your site.

Dragon Crisis!
Spoiler for Space:

Kaguya
Spoiler for space:

Rapunzel's Wings
Spoiler for space:

Ect. for the other two. Is there a reason you're redoing these?
Old 2009-03-17, 18:15   Link #99
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Hmm..I'm still not sure I understand...for those teasers, I usually go to the publishers site, aka for Dragon Crisis! it's here:

Super Dash Bunko's Dragon Crisis! Page

And I also used the Japanese Wikipedia to get a better feel for the novel, as sometimes you need more than one synopsis to really understand a novel. I'll probably find a different synopsis of Kaguya as well, maybe on Amazon.co.jp, and translate that one as well.

But to my knowledge, I am only using Japanese websites, when there should be no ENGLISH synopsis out by anybody yet...

Can you link to show me if there is a website I missed where someone else is already translating a synopsis for Dragon crisis! in english??
Old 2009-03-17, 20:01   Link #100
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Hmm...hmm...let me try and get this. When you do your own synopsis, are you translating something or are you reading a bit of the novel and then making your own synopsis? What I'm confused about is, if you already have a synopsis from the novel's site, why are you making your own? Adding to it your own flair or something along those lines?

Tags
light novels