AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 9 16.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 24.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 32.08%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 11.32%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 5.66%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.77%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.89%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-07, 23:23   Link #181
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Its an inside joke in the Macross forums

And its not a problem since the victim enjoys that status.
I know and I know, but it's best to save it for threads where the "victim" is a participant so that you don't spread the wrong idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
To be frank, the anime probably took too many liberties with the story in regards to Kloden Wildwood, which is why it seems silly that there's two Generals and their armies deployed to cover one small woodland base, and being beaten by two platoons.

As this video shows, the Imperials had set up defences to cover the plausible routes of attack against their base, and the animal trail only enabled Squad/Platoon 7 to sneak a number of troops through a lightly guarded "side door".

Not only that, but there weren't any Generals there before the attack, only Jaeger and his Lupus tank showing up later on to organise an orderly withdrawl because they intended to abandon the base in the first place!

So yeah. Game scenario = logical. Anime scenario = wtf?
To be honest, from the linked video, there doesn't seem to be all that much difference between the two depictions aside from General-ranked officers being present in the anime. What you describe is precisely what happened except that Squad 7 also provided the troops to fix the main Imperial force in place. Realistically speaking, a supply base of this nature (and supposed significance) would be run by hundreds of personnel, and they'd be present unless the front was being broken up by a larger assault. In all other cases, the soldiers running the supply base would still be present to repel any attacks. It's almost impossible to envisage a scenario where a small platoon-sized infantry force can take the base on their own.
Old 2009-05-07, 23:45   Link #182
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
To be honest, from the linked video, there doesn't seem to be all that much difference between the two depictions aside from General-ranked officers being present in the anime. What you describe is precisely what happened except that Squad 7 also provided the troops to fix the main Imperial force in place. Realistically speaking, a supply base of this nature (and supposed significance) would be run by hundreds of personnel, and they'd be present unless the front was being broken up by a larger assault. In all other cases, the soldiers running the supply base would still be present to repel any attacks. It's almost impossible to envisage a scenario where a small platoon-sized infantry force can take the base on their own.
Speaking of which I just noticed that Faldio's squad is made up of members that are recruited in Squad 7 from the game. So in essence, the whole thing was squad 7 to begin with Faldio and that boy tagging along.

And if we are to argue the base's defense, the base itself seems awfully small for such an important position. I just don't see how a base could support the Imperial's central army's supplies.
Old 2009-05-07, 23:55   Link #183
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Speaking of which I just noticed that Faldio's squad is made up of members that are recruited in Squad 7 from the game. So in essence, the whole thing was squad 7 to begin with Faldio and that boy tagging along.
Well, their faces are anyways. We have yet to hear much more than a peep out of the lot of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
And if we are to argue the base's defense, the base itself seems awfully small for such an important position. I just don't see how a base could support the Imperial's central army's supplies.
It is awfully small, but the larger it is, the less plausible it is that it could be taken by a small force as well. In a more realistic situation, such a base would be located near a road and/or rail junction and be broken up into multiple depots, spread out over dozens of kilometers, making it impossible for it to be sneak attacked like that. It would never be placed inside a forest like that, nor would it ever be close enough to enemy lines to be attacked. But the show is based on a game, and it's only expected that concessions are made for game mechanics.
Old 2009-05-08, 04:48   Link #184
kalbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Well that's partially due to the fact that it's an A-rank run on the base. Meaning people don't try and clear out every enemy that's there. If you watch the map you'll notice that the scouts spot troops in various strategic defensive positions. The person playing it just avoided them by exploiting the enemy AI, that's all.

Also, Jaeger was only sent there to ensure that the withdrawl was completed. It had already begun long before Squad 7 got there, hence why you could easily say it was undermaned. Otherwise there'd be no way that they'd have been able to empty out all the supplies from the base like what is said to happen.

Basically the base wasn't a good idea in the first place really, as Kloden really doesn't let anything move through it in great numbers, so it was doing very little at all for the Imperials. I'm guessing the only reason it was established was so that the Empire could more easily move down south into Federation territory after the "cakewalk" of beating Gallia.

All things considered, the base was pretty much insignificant given the main two thrusts of the Empire came from far further north. If you want an idea of exactly where this supply base was this shows at the end where the invasion came from. The base is a fair distance SE of Randgriz/that large lake you can see.

(Also note that the game really doesn't have too many scenarios where there's more than ~20 enemy soldiers at any rate, so for its time and place in the game Kloden really is rather heavily fortified.)

Edit: Having re-watched the scenes again it seems more that the base Squad 7 took was simply one of perhaps many. Or perhaps not. It's somewhat vague. Ah well. Guess even the game doesn't hold up to too much scrutiny. XD

Last edited by kalbron; 2009-05-08 at 04:59.
Old 2009-05-08, 08:16   Link #185
4Tran

Quote:
Well that's partially due to the fact that it's an A-rank run on the base. Meaning people don't try and clear out every enemy that's there. If you watch the map you'll notice that the scouts spot troops in various strategic defensive positions. The person playing it just avoided them by exploiting the enemy AI, that's all.
I was mostly just commenting on the layout of the battlefield and the dispositions. I ignored the actual gameplay part because of game mechanics and all.

Quote:
Also, Jaeger was only sent there to ensure that the withdrawl was completed. It had already begun long before Squad 7 got there, hence why you could easily say it was undermaned. Otherwise there'd be no way that they'd have been able to empty out all the supplies from the base like what is said to happen.
Here it's still very much a question of frontage and proximity of the frontlines. Unless the Imperial troops were overrun by a Gallian offensive, there should still have been a lot of force interposed in front of the base.

Quote:
All things considered, the base was pretty much insignificant given the main two thrusts of the Empire came from far further north. If you want an idea of exactly where this supply base was this shows at the end where the invasion came from. The base is a fair distance SE of Randgriz/that large lake you can see.
My point of speculating what a "realistic" base of this nature would look like doesn't posit it to support some sort of huge force. Basically, any base for even divisional-level forces would have to be of that kind of magnitude.

Again, I'm not really criticizing the game or anything like that - the reality of game mechanics means that a lot of liberty has to be taken with realism, and that's only to be expected. I haven't played the game, but I wouldn't imagine it to be any more realistic than, say Front Mission 4, so that kind of thing is alright.
Old 2009-05-09, 20:45   Link #186
slayer545-sama
Banned

Post after sub thoughts

After seeing the subs I can safely say the animal shit was just bad as a joke. I felt more than anything disgusted.

On another note Faldio calling Alicia a Valkyur I found this as interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie

You all want to know why Alicia is like that? Because Valkyries were female warriors that were proud of themselves including to serve Odin. For them to choose their lover they have to be careful because Odin knows that the person who their lover should he not be worthy he will be slain. In my religion we have contact with Odin as a belief so I know. Alicia does not get intimidated that easily at all.
Old 2009-05-09, 23:08   Link #187
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer545-sama View Post
You all want to know why Alicia is like that? Because Valkyries were female warriors that were proud of themselves including to serve Odin. For them to choose their lover they have to be careful because Odin knows that the person who their lover should he not be worthy he will be slain. In my religion we have contact with Odin as a belief so I know. Alicia does not get intimidated that easily at all.
Yeah, and I suppose you have exclusive access to Wikipedia.

This is absolutely irrelevant, and totally unrelated to the story as it does very little in helping to explain the character of Alicia.

Aside from being warriors and female, the Valkyries of this anime is drastically different than the Valkyries of myth. I do not believe I need to explain why.

At this time, I think its best you stop contradicting yourself and get a fucking clue, because its getting very irritating.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-05-09, 23:39   Link #188
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

^^ no need to be so harsh. going in with no background knowledge about the show and not playing the game, its pretty easy to see connections between what a Valkyrie is and the characters in the show, even though they're probably incorrect. i just started playing the game yesterday, so i can't speak knowledgeably about the show.

of course i could have missed the point of your post.. haha. its late and i'm tired.
Old 2009-05-10, 01:34   Link #189
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Well, I really did not want to burst his bubble, but since you have taken a shot...

- Tak
I call it like I see it Tak you know that.

Seriously he's about | | far from being put on my ignore list with his antics.
Old 2009-05-10, 09:32   Link #190
vorpal83

I'd frag my sarge if she were that reckless. Stupid sergeants get ppl killed...
Old 2009-05-10, 10:15   Link #191
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorpal83 View Post
I'd frag my sarge if she were that reckless. Stupid sergeants get ppl killed...
HAHAHA so you're the officer who's sitting behind while waiting for support?
Old 2009-05-10, 14:50   Link #192
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I can't let her get fragged.

At least until the middle of the show.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-05-10, 18:49   Link #193
vorpal83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
HAHAHA so you're the officer who's sitting behind while waiting for support?
Nah, I used to be a sgt
Old 2009-05-13, 22:00   Link #194
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
So yeah. Game scenario = logical. Anime scenario = wtf?
Seriously.

I just finished the episode and I'm currently re-clearing the game. I think maybe that's a bad idea because I'm obviously extremely partial to the game and thought it was darn near perfect while the anime has been... disappointing... so far.

And I think what I've found most entertaining about this board so far has been the arm-chair general discussions I've been able to observe.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Closed Thread