AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-03-03, 12:10   Link #1621
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Hehe, Eri seems to have taken a liking to her new Evil Overlord costume. With Harima suddenly set on becoming an actor, could this be a sign of a cinematic rematch? ^^

Unbelievable...Only a few dozen chapters ago I would have only entertained that thought in one of Harima's imaginary manga. Looks like it's more believable now.

Hmm...Eri as a dominatrix...
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 12:11   Link #1622
Freeter
beyond

Beautiful chapter. Lots of revelations about Yakumo, and it FINALLY puts the naysayers to rest about her feelings for Harima. Though whether this spells the end for Onigiri could very well depend on Sara (she can either encourage her to go for it like before or help her move on).

Personally, I hope she goes for it. Then the rumble can truly be on
Old 2007-03-03, 12:48   Link #1623
Adam E
Riskbreaker

Well, this chapter reinforces my reasons for believing that Yakumo should definitely not become the main character; she’s just too angsty, and the series becomes way too melodramatic whenever it focuses on her since she seems incapable of playing both serious and comedic roles. Compare this to Eri, who makes a serious statement about her goal at the end, but manages to make it funny.

Anyways, it was nice to see Yakumo showing some regret for slapping Eri. Although, I think she’s confessing to the wrong person in Sara; all her problems seem to stem from her problems with Tenma, so that’s the one she needs to tell this to if she’s going to get maximum development as a character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuyakun View Post
Just read the scans now. Indeed, this confirms Yakumo's feelings for Harima.
Nope, they're still unconfirmed. We don't know why Eri loving Harima hurts Yakumo so much since it could also be due to her thinking that Eri and Harima are a couple (Chapter 211, she hears about Harima being on a “date“ with Eri), which goes against Yakumo's view of an unchanging Harima and apparent desire for Tenma to be with Harima. As for what she’s bottled up, Yakumo says she’s buried many things, which is vague and can’t be used to conclude that she’s burying feelings for Harima.

Yakumo is implied to have feelings for Harima in Chapter 215, but that’s nothing new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
In comes the reset for Eri.
Eri confirms that she still hasn’t given up, that she hasn’t changed her mind about “friends first,” and Harima has committed himself to the movie, indicating that there’s going to be more Flag chapters in the near future. How is that a reset for Eri?

Quote:
On comes the revelation from yakumo. What can be better for onigiri.
Uh, Yakumo reveals that she had a bad reason for slapping Eri, which isn’t really a good thing for Onigiri. Then, Harima decides to work as an actor instead of a mangaka, which also isn’t really a good thing for Onigiri since that's about the only thing connecting Harima and Yakumo. Then, Yakumo heard bad things about Eri again, making it likely she’d feel justified in antagonizing Eri again, which also isn’t really a good thing for Onigiri. Then, Yakumo confirms that she’s acting based on what she thinks is best for her sister instead of what her sister wants, which is bad for Yakumo, and Onigiri by extension.

Quote:
Looks like next chapter will be yakumo helping harima from the setback and back to working on manga time.
No, it looks like the next chapter will go back to the filming. Did you miss the part at the beginning about Harima deciding to become an actor?

Also, what’s with the belief of Onigiri fans that more manga making = more development for Onigiri? It’s clear that making manga with Harima hasn’t changed his opinion of Yakumo and has become a stagnant subplot, and that they’d need to start doing things outside the manga in order to progress the relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny View Post
This certainly looks like development for her. Whether it's really good development for Onigiri, though....I won't keep my hopes up just yet
Well, in a love triangle in a romantic comedy, physically attacking a rival for having feelings for the guy is one of the worst things a girl can do, while sacrificing feelings in order to make a guy happy with the rival is one of the best things a girl can do. So, Yakumo has done one of the worst things she could do by attacking Eri, while Eri has done one of the best things by sacrificing her feelings in the play arc.

Yakumo “sacrificing” her feelings in Chapter 206 is not good, though, since part of it stemmed from a clear desire for Harima not to be with Eri, and, by doing so, she also betrays her sister.

Then, there’s the timing of this development, which is terrible to say the least. If Yakumo actually does like Harima now, it’s much too late in the series. Also, if she does become a rival for Eri, she’ll be becoming one immediately after Tenma stopped being an effective rival for Eri, indicating that she’s going to be used to develop Flag. It’s too convenient for Flag for a new obstacle to appear right after the old one disappeared.

Finally, but not least, is the overwhelming presence of Flag. Eri’s feelings for Harima have been considerably developed, and Harima’s feelings for Eri’s have been slowly changing throughout the series, so it simply would not make any sense for Kobayashi to make Yakumo and Harima love each other out of the blue and disregard all the development Flag has gone through.

Anyways, I think you have good reason not to get your hopes up just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny View Post
Well, it's a 'latent' talent he has discovered, anyway. The last chapter had me cracking up a little from how nonchalantly Eri tore up his important work, and it seemed even stranger still to have him immediately make up his mind to become an actor all of a sudden just because of that setback.
Nah, it’s pretty normal for Harima to disregard his dreams whenever Tenma compliments him for something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ajax- View Post
Not the first time she has had a blank face while doing something like that.
Eri has a vein throbbing on her head in that picture, showing us that she’s angry there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
FINALLY puts the naysayers to rest about her feelings for Harima.
Not quite.
Adam E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 13:36   Link #1624
Freeter
beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam E View Post
Not quite.
Unbelievable....still doubting even after all this time. You're really just turning a blind eye now, since she's practically confessing at this point.

Quote:
As for what she’s bottled up, Yakumo says she’s buried many things, which is vague and can’t be used to conclude that she’s burying feelings for Harima.
Of course it can. She's jealous of both Eri and Tenma but doesn't want to be hostile towards them (for the former, she tried to justify the slap as simply protecting her sister, and the latter needs no explanation). At the same time she wants to be closer to Harima but is still afraid of being rejected (and now that he apparently wants to be an actor, the manga connection will be lost). She's hurt and confused, which is precisely why she spills everything to Sara since she has no one else to turn to.

If it really was just for the sake of an ideal, she would've said so outright ("I thought he'd always be so-and-so, now he's like this..." or something to that degree).
Old 2007-03-03, 13:44   Link #1625
-Ajax-
Fanatical Kyon Follower

Send a message via AIM to -Ajax-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam E View Post
Eri has a vein throbbing on her head in that picture, showing us that she’s angry there.
Ah yea I know that makes the largest difference between the two but her face is still blank, that was my only point lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
About this acting: I think this is just a short stage for Harima, because Tenma said it... like the time when she told him he would look better without Beard... he shaved it, but after a while he grew it back, because that's who he is. I guess in about 6-10 chapters his "career" is over.
I can guarantee you his "acting" career won't last very long.

Quote:
Yakumo beeing in love seems so out-of-character for her... If she is also going to interfere now, I can abandon all hopes for this manga to end soon.
Exactly. Unless it will be used as a plot device to somehow drive either Onigiri or Flag.
-Ajax- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 13:55   Link #1626
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Smile On Yakumo's Redemption

Excellent, excellent chapter.

Before we jump to any conclusions, let's take a look at the sequence of events.

b29, p.1 - Yakumo walks back after the Cultural Festival Play, where she fought with Eri.
"Hey Iori, do you think that Sawachika-sempai loves Harima-san? But she's always harsh around Harima-san, and it's not like we have a special relationship. It's fine like this, right?"

Yakumo suspects that Eri likes Harima. She recognizes that if Eri does love Harima, then she would have caused Eri a lot of suffering over the past little while. However, she dismisses the thought, rationalizing that Eri probably doesn't love Harima. The words "It's fine like this, right?" are a means by which Yakumo justifies her actions to herself.

206, p.4 - Yakumo denies having feelings for Harima. This could mean one of two things - either she really doesn't like him, or she likes him and she's hiding it.

206, p.5,6 - Yakumo becomes aware of the fact that Eri and Harima may be getting closer, and she actively takes steps to prevent the two dolls from being placed together. This means one of two things - either she doesn't want Eri to end up with Harima because she's jealous (ie. wants him for herself), or she doesn't want Eri to end up with Harima because she wants to see Harima paired up with someone else.

Note her words in Ch. 206, p.7,8:
"He's not the type of person who would change his mind."
"He's not so careless as to fall for someone just like that."

And when asked about whether she's been confessed to, she says "no" with a smile - to show that she's pleased about the fact that he hasn't gone after her - pleased with the fact that he is living up to that ideal.

206, p.9, she places the Harima doll and the Tenma doll together on her own. This indicates that her desire to see Harima and Eri separated had nothing to do with jealousy - it's simply because she wanted him to end up with her sister. It makes no sense for Yakumo to want to end up with Harima and then to actively try to set him up with someone else.

In Ch. 207, Yakumo sets her plan in action by having Tenma write manga with Harima. That was the same plan that set up for the climax in Ch. 212.

Now, let's take a look at this chapter. Since Ch. 212, we've seen no signs of remorse from Yakumo, despite her sister's pleading. The trigger that actually makes her recognize her wrongdoing is Harima's explanation in p.5. Eri's plan to make Harima choose clearly establishes Eri's feelings regarding Harima. With that, Yakumo's lingering doubt in b29 has finally been confirmed.

Note the side caption on that page: "Yakumo, can't go back now."

Now that Yakumo knows about Eri's feelings for Harima, she can't go back to the old way of thinking in b29. She now knows for sure the full extent of what she's done in the past - there's no turning back.

Now look carefully at the words on p.9: "I know Sawachika-sempai is in love with Harima, and it hurts me inside so badly."

This is not the same as: "I know Sawachika-sempai and Harima-san are in love with each other, and it hurts me inside so badly."

Yakumo isn't sad because Harima is being taken away from her by Eri. Rather, the sudden realization that she has in this chapter about Eri's feelings for Harima are the cause of her feelings of guilt.

Then:

"I've buried so many things inside of me, and it's all building up. I'm becoming a terrible person."

What has she buried? Feelings? No, because having feelings for Harima wouldn't make her a terrible person. What else could you bury and have build up, making you feel like a terrible person?

Guilt.

Guilt that she's held inside since b29. All throughout the manga, she's constantly interfered with Eri's relationship with Harima. She undid Eri's sewed gift to Harima. She interfered in Eri's play. She constantly pushed Tenma to be with Harima, knowing that Tenma wasn't interested. All this she did unknowingly, but with a lurking doubt deep down that she may be hurting Eri.

Ch.215, p.8: Yakumo tells us why she slapped Eri - it was entirely for the sake of her sister. But why does she add "That's what I thought when I slapped her, but... I was wrong."? The only thing that has changed since then is that Yakumo now knows Eri's feelings. She now knows the conflict that was going through Eri's head - she now knows that Eri really loves Harima.

Note that she confirms that the phone call in Ch.211 had nothing to do with the slap. Therefore, there is no jealousy towards Eri involved here.

Remember how I was talking about the idea of Yakumo redeeming herself? This is the very first step. It's now her responsibility to make amends with Eri. With this chapter, she can no longer be used as a plot device used to interfere with Flag - she's a full character in her own right.

I find some of the earlier remarks to be somewhat bizarre. Here we have a character who has just admitted to having a lot of guilt because of constantly hurting someone else (unintentionally, of course) over a period of months, and the first thing on some people's minds is: "Yeah! Does this mean she'll step in and interfere some more?" As p.5's side comment notes, there's no turning back now. Now that she knows that Eri loves Harima, she cannot interfere with a good conscience. It would undo everything that elevated her character in this chapter.

I've waited a really long time for this. It's kind of cathartic, really - she's been a real thorn in Eri's side for the past 100 chapters or so. It's a relief to see her finally 'fess up to everything that she's done - it shows, that despite all the trouble she's caused, she still was acting with good intentions. With a little luck, she may even make for a valuable ally for Flag. You know, I wonder... could this be that inroad into the manga writing thing that we've been looking for?

On another note, I really liked the conversation on the last page. It's good to see Akira talking a bit more freely: "Do you have to give up love and friends to be a devil woman?" Eri has this habit of deliberately building walls around herself. Flag still has a lot of work to do.

Last edited by Swampstorm; 2007-03-03 at 14:21.
Swampstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 14:13   Link #1627
Adam E
Riskbreaker

Quote:
I just read the chapter...
Somehow it's pretty stupid. What's with the first scene?
Eri didn't destroy the manga, she just ripped it into two clear pieces. Everyone with a Scotch tape could have fixed this in a few minutes, but Harima goes to the editor with empty hands?
Besides: Even if it were lost, shouldn't he be able to reproduce his work?
Excellent point. In fact, isn't scotch tape used to fix up his manuscript way back near the beginning of the series?

Oh well, you can’t expect characters to be smart in stories like these.

Quote:
About this acting: I think this is just a short stage for Harima, because Tenma said it... like the time when she told him he would look better without Beard... he shaved it, but after a while he grew it back, because that's who he is. I guess in about 6-10 chapters his "career" is over.
Harima shaved his beard in Chapter 66, and "grew" it back in Chapter 161...that wasn't really a short stage.

Anyways, I think the acting gig won’t last long, either, since it seems like it’s just going to be for the story arc.

Quote:
Unbelievable....still doubting even after all this time. You're really just turning a blind eye now, since she's practically confessing at this point.
Practically confessing and actually confessing feelings are two different matters. One implies feelings, and one confirms feelings.

Quote:
Of course it can. She's jealous of both Eri and Tenma but doesn't want to be hostile towards them (for the former, she tried to justify the slap as simply protecting her sister, and the latter needs no explanation). At the same time she wants to be closer to Harima but is still afraid of being rejected (and now that he apparently wants to be an actor, the manga connection will be lost). She's hurt and confused, which is precisely why she spills everything to Sara since she has no one else to turn to.
No, it can't be used to confirm she has feelings for him so long as there's evidence indicating likewise.

Quote:
If it really was just for the sake of an ideal, she would've said so outright ("I thought he'd always be so-and-so, now he's like this..." or something to that degree).
Yeah, and if she was bottling up romantic feelings for Harima, she should’ve said so outright, as well.

@Swampstorm: Nice use of logic; it makes the most sense to me, since Yakumo being in love suddenly seems to contradict how she’s been acting previously.
Adam E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 15:24   Link #1628
arias

I approve of the recent developments.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 15:35   Link #1629
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Talking Welcome Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
I approve of the recent developments.
I thought you were an Onigirist? No matter. Welcome to team Flag!
Your timing couldn't be better. We've just finished signing up one Tsukamoto Yakumo, as a matter of fact.
Old 2007-03-03, 16:24   Link #1630
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
I thought you were an Onigirist? No matter. Welcome to team Flag!
Your timing couldn't be better. We've just finished signing up one Tsukamoto Yakumo, as a matter of fact.
What? This chapter could be the catalyst of a huge onigiri push. I wouldn't get too cocky.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 16:41   Link #1631
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetor
What? This chapter could be the catalyst of a huge onigiri push. I wouldn't get too cocky.
That was cocky? I'm sorry that you've taken offense to my words, then.

I was speaking honestly, though. I personally thought that this chapter was all about Yakumo finally recognizing all the trouble she's caused Eri over the past five months, and that she'd finally started to feel remorse. That's why I thought it to be rather absurd for people to be suggesting that she try to cause further problems for Eri, afterwards. It looks really bad on your character if you admit to feeling guilty and then go back and keep repeating your mistake. This apology has been a long time coming for Flaggers. As the chapter itself notes, she can't turn back, now. She has to make amends.

Every chapter can be a catalyst for a huge Onigiri push, in theory, but then again, the same holds true for any other faction. If Yakumo pursues Onigiri at this point, though, she turns those tears that she shed into a lie.

By the way, did you miss this post?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever
In comes the reset for Eri. On comes the revelation from yakumo. What can be better for onigiri. Looks like next chapter will be yakumo helping harima from the setback and back to working on manga time.
You must have had to swim through an ocean of Onigiri cockiness just to get to my post. I feel tired just thinking about all that effort.

All that I've done is to set the record straight.

Last edited by Swampstorm; 2007-03-03 at 17:02.
Old 2007-03-03, 16:43   Link #1632
Freeter
beyond

Quote:
And when asked about whether she's been confessed to, she says "no" with a smile - to show that she's pleased about the fact that he hasn't gone after her - pleased with the fact that he is living up to that ideal.
That panel was also paired with a concerned look from Sara, which casts some doubt as to whether Yakumo really was "pleased" with not being pursued by Harima.

Quote:
It makes no sense for Yakumo to want to end up with Harima and then to actively try to set him up with someone else.
She resigned herself to thinking that Harima would never go for her (the denial and false smile were indicators of such), so she wanted to absolve those unrequited feelings by seeing his love for Tenma fulfilled.

Quote:
Now look carefully at the words on p.9: "I know Sawachika-sempai is in love with Harima, and it hurts me inside so badly."

This is not the same as: "I know Sawachika-sempai and Harima-san are in love with each other, and it hurts me inside so badly."

Yakumo isn't sad because Harima is being taken away from her by Eri. Rather, the sudden realization that she has in this chapter about Eri's feelings for Harima are the cause of her feelings of guilt.
Perhaps she's always known, especially since Eri's so easy to read. It's just now that she has to come to terms with it.

Quote:
What else could you bury and have build up, making you feel like a terrible person?

Guilt.

Guilt that she's held inside since b29. All throughout the manga, she's constantly interfered with Eri's relationship with Harima. She undid Eri's sewed gift to Harima. She interfered in Eri's play. She constantly pushed Tenma to be with Harima, knowing that Tenma wasn't interested. All this she did unknowingly, but with a lurking doubt deep down that she may be hurting Eri.
The undoing of the sewed gift was unintentional (Harima's miscommunication is at fault for that one), and she apologized for the interference of the play at the dance and cleared the air with Eri. Holding those against her is unfair.

However, the pairing of HarimaXTenma was done solely at her discretion, and that she can be held accountable for. She knew that doing so would hurt Eri, but she went through with it anyway.

Quote:
Ch.215, p.8: Yakumo tells us why she slapped Eri - it was entirely for the sake of her sister. But why does she add "That's what I thought when I slapped her, but... I was wrong."?
Because she despised Eri for actively pursuing Harima when she couldn't and was looking for a means to unleash that hatred, and she comes to the realization of this ugly truth. I too initially thought she was only protecting her sister, but now I can understand your disgust over her actions in that chapter.

Quote:
Note that she confirms that the phone call in Ch.211 had nothing to do with the slap. Therefore, there is no jealousy towards Eri involved here.
But did Yakumo even know that Eri was with Harima at the time? I dont recall Tenma ever telling her such.

Quote:
I find some of the earlier remarks to be somewhat bizarre. Here we have a character who has just admitted to having a lot of guilt because of constantly hurting someone else (unintentionally, of course) over a period of months, and the first thing on some people's minds is: "Yeah! Does this mean she'll step in and interfere some more?" As p.5's side comment notes, there's no turning back now. Now that she knows that Eri loves Harima, she cannot interfere with a good conscience. It would undo everything that elevated her character in this chapter.
You center the guilt entirely around Eri (much like the rest of this manga), when it could also attribute to Yakumo's own selfish desires (which grotesquely materialized in the form of that slap). The side comment could mean that she has to be honest with herself and decide whether to truly pursue Harima or let him go completely. Sara will undoubtedly be a huge influence on that decision.
Old 2007-03-03, 17:57   Link #1633
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter
That panel was also paired with a concerned look from Sara, which casts some doubt as to whether Yakumo really was "pleased" with not being pursued by Harima.
Read the side panel: "Always... Forever." The only thing connecting that phrase (taken from her thoughts in the previous page) and the page that the side panel is on is Yakumo's response. The flowers and the contented look all tie in to that. She can find peace in the thought that he'll never pursue her, because he'll be the same - always... forever.

Sara's response shows surprise because up until then, she suspected that Yakumo had feelings for Harima - even as early as the start of that chapter. The confidence of Yakumo's reply contradicts Sara's original belief.

Quote:
She resigned herself to thinking that Harima would never go for her (the denial and false smile were indicators of such), so she wanted to absolve those unrequited feelings by seeing his love for Tenma fulfilled.
You would have to first prove that she was in denial, though. In addition, we see no mention of absolving unrequited feelings. It's up to the author to demonstrate such ideas at the time.

Quote:
Perhaps she's always known, especially since Eri's so easy to read. It's just now that she has to come to terms with it.
No difference. She's been running from the truth, either way.

Quote:
The undoing of the sewed gift was unintentional (Harima's miscommunication is at fault for that one), and she apologized for the interference of the play at the dance and cleared the air with Eri. Holding those against her is unfair.
I'm not. I hold nothing against Yakumo, as of this chapter. Those feelings of remorse were all that I needed to see. I brought them up because b21 was the only mention that I could find on the subject, and it is related to those two incidents, and it occurs after the apology.

Quote:
However, the pairing of HarimaXTenma was done solely at her discretion, and that she can be held accountable for. She knew that doing so would hurt Eri, but she went through with it anyway.
Well, she was evading the idea that Eri loved Harima all this time. Now that she's faced with it, that isn't really an issue.

Quote:
Because she despised Eri for actively pursuing Harima when she couldn't and was looking for a means to unleash that hatred, and she comes to the realization of this ugly truth. I too initially thought she was only protecting her sister, but now I can understand your disgust over her actions in that chapter.
You know, it's kind of funny. About three chapters we were arguing the opposite sides. Now we've switched sides.

Ch.215, p.8: Yakumo gives us a big explanation on why she slapped Eri, and she finishes with "That's what I thought when I slapped her."

The slap isn't out of hatred for Eri. It was out of anger towards seeing Eri berate Tenma.

I don't have any disgust over her actions now that she admitted that she was wrong - I thought I made my views clear back in Ch. 212. You don't need to drag her name in the mud just to build a case for an interest on her side.

Either option doesn't help Onigiri. If the slap was out of anger for Harima and Eri being together, then there's no moral justification for the two to be together. If the slap was done to help Tenma, then she has no interest in Harima, but she's a good person. When faced with Scylla and Charybdis, why not choose Scylla? You don't get anything out of making a monster out of Yakumo, either way.

Quote:
But did Yakumo even know that Eri was with Harima at the time? I dont recall Tenma ever telling her such.
At the start of Ch.211, Harima calls Yakumo asking her to send Tenma over to work on the manga. He then says that he wasn't able to get any work done because he spent the night with Eri. That's how Yakumo figures out that Tenma was still waiting - if she isn't with Eri, then she probably is outside of Eri's house.

The phone call didn't factor into Yakumo's explanation in this chapter, though.

Quote:
You center the guilt entirely around Eri (much like the rest of this manga), when it could also attribute to Yakumo's own selfish desires (which grotesquely materialized in the form of that slap).
Context. Why would Yakumo start to feel selfish just now? She didn't feel remorse at the time of the slap.

Remember the trigger. Harima gave her the last piece of the puzzle, just now. Until then, she didn't understand Eri's motivations in that conversation - all she saw was Eri berating her sister.

Quote:
The side comment could mean that she has to be honest with herself and decide whether to truly pursue Harima or let him go completely. Sara will undoubtedly be a huge influence on that decision.
Again, context. That page says nothing of her having an interest in Harima. The choice has to be made apparent to the viewers, at least.

Remember that Eri's interest in Harima wouldn't be a threat, even if Yakumo was interested. It would only be a problem if Harima reciprocates. So why would there be any need for jealousy?
Old 2007-03-03, 18:36   Link #1634
-Ajax-
Fanatical Kyon Follower

Send a message via AIM to -Ajax-
@ Swamp's analysis: Makes perfect sense to me. *thumbs up*
-Ajax- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 18:56   Link #1635
drowzyus

Flag ending is still possible but time is growing short... should be less then 40 days before *Torimaru* leaves...

(i know this might sound lame but what about the other characters? We havnt heard from souo, mikoto, sarah, etc... in such a long time )
drowzyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 19:10   Link #1636
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
That was cocky? I'm sorry that you've taken offense to my words, then.

I was speaking honestly, though. I personally thought that this chapter was all about Yakumo finally recognizing all the trouble she's caused Eri over the past five months, and that she'd finally started to feel remorse. That's why I thought it to be rather absurd for people to be suggesting that she try to cause further problems for Eri, afterwards. It looks really bad on your character if you admit to feeling guilty and then go back and keep repeating your mistake. This apology has been a long time coming for Flaggers. As the chapter itself notes, she can't turn back, now. She has to make amends.

Every chapter can be a catalyst for a huge Onigiri push, in theory, but then again, the same holds true for any other faction. If Yakumo pursues Onigiri at this point, though, she turns those tears that she shed into a lie.
Just because she feels bad for what she did doesn't mean she has to make up for it. There is nothing in that chapter that shows that Yakumo is forcing herself to stand by as Eri pursues Harima. She is even asking Sara what she should do. I have a feeling Sara will nudge Yakumo into trying to get closer to Harima because she is that type of person.

There is no reason for Yakumo to make amends and the slap can frankly be taken care of by a simple apology.

The main point of the chapter is that Yakumo has finally realized her feelings. If Yakumo were to stand by even after all this, there would be no reason for the mangaka to make this chapter at all. He made it for a reason and this shows a change in Yakumo's personality and also in her attitude towards Harima. For her to not do anything after this realization would be turning the tears she shed into a lie.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 20:51   Link #1637
taichikun14

too bad, i was hoping the chapter would've picked up from last time. i was hoping to see everyone's reactions to harima picking tenma over the manga (especially tenma's!) and i was hoping to see harima go crazy over the manga. oh well, i enjoy a little angst every now and then in SR.

i just hope they follow up on how people feel about harima picking tenma... it seems more and more people are finding out who likes who, so i'm hoping more people find out about who harima really likes.
taichikun14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 21:52   Link #1638
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
@ Swampstorm: Pretty good. I'm almost entirely convinced, because I find some truth in your analysis as well. It can probably only be done by a true Flagger, though, because most of us here were fixated on the changes in Yakumo shown in this chapter and any connection to the slap than going further back.

Her guilt, unfortunately, can be the cause of her own confusion as well. Making apologies is one thing, which I would approve of very much, but supporting Flag? What about her own opinion? After her little talk about how Tenma has been treating her and how great her sister was, I have little doubt that even if she apologize, there was little that can be used to stop her if she finds out Eri has "put down" Tenma again. Supporting Flag would need Yakumo to get rid of any and all prejudices she has against Eri, because guilt to her is one thing: Obstructions to her sister are another. It won't be right either if she were to support Flag out of guilt either, just to "make things right" for Eri.

It's up to one's interpretation of what "things" she buried inside her. For one, your explanation sounds rather logical. It's still too early, though, to decide completely if she does or doesn't have any feelings for Harima. This chapter only shows a change in her. We need more actions, more reactions from Yakumo to decide on a clearer picture.

The bad thing about Onigiri is that most of it is vague at best. Good to discuss, hard to decide. It has never been entirely clear like Oudou or Flag, which are easier to point out. Getting embroiled into an argument about it will be quite endless, IMO.

Still, I can't help but feel even if this spells a revelation for Yakumo's feelings for Harima, the indication that Harima had chosen Tenma over the manga might actually be a signal to tell us that Onigiri has taken a step backwards. It's because of the fact that Onigiri mainly has its connections through the manga. This would probably be good for Yakumo, though, considering how focused she is on supporting Oudou now.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 21:56   Link #1639
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Just because she feels bad for what she did doesn't mean she has to make up for it.
No, everyone still does. Eri felt really bad in Ch.211, but that still didn't stop the slap. This chapter was put in to save Yakumo's character.

Quote:
There is nothing in that chapter that shows that Yakumo is forcing herself to stand by as Eri pursues Harima.
No, but there's also nothing in this chapter that shows that Yakumo is interested in Harima. We actually managed to disprove that she's interested in him using a combination of b29, 206, and this chapter. If you disagree, you're welcome to develop a counterargument.

Quote:
She is even asking Sara what she should do. I have a feeling Sara will nudge Yakumo into trying to get closer to Harima because she is that type of person.
She's asking Sara what she can do to make amends.

Quote:
There is no reason for Yakumo to make amends and the slap can frankly be taken care of by a simple apology.
Usually you absolve feelings of guilt by making amends. Of course, maybe Yakumo will continue to feel guilty throughout the rest of the series. Go with whichever one you prefer.

Quote:
The main point of the chapter is that Yakumo has finally realized her feelings.
Which is completely disproved by my earlier posts.

Quote:
If Yakumo were to stand by even after all this, there would be no reason for the mangaka to make this chapter at all.
I predicted back in Ch.211/212 that Yakumo would recognize that she's made a mistake by interfering with Flag. Remember that Yakumo is the captain of Team Oudou at present - having her come to a realization is the best way to overcome that obstacle.

Also, remember that happy endings are all about perception. If Yakumo still has an axe to grind with Eri, and Eri ends up with Harima, it isn't a happy ending. This way, Eri gets Yakumo's blessing.

Quote:
He made it for a reason and this shows a change in Yakumo's personality and also in her attitude towards Harima.
Eh? I see much mention of Eri, but little of Harima.

Quote:
For her to not do anything after this realization would be turning the tears she shed into a lie.
Tell you what. Read over the posts above you, and refute them. Then we'll chat. You seem to have glossed over most of them.

The biggest problem here is that some people have jumped to conclusions (yet again!) regarding Yakumo's opinion of Harima. Instead of taking that assumption for granted and making claims based off of that idea, come out and prove it, first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny
Supporting Flag would need Yakumo to get rid of any and all prejudices she has against Eri, because guilt to her is one thing: Obstructions to her sister are another. It won't be right either if she were to support Flag out of guilt either, just to "make things right" for Eri.
Well, I think the first step towards making amends is for Yakumo to get rid of that prejudice. She can decide what she wants to do afterwards. She doesn't have to actively help, either - just so long as she doesn't decide to obstruct things.

Quote:
It's still too early, though, to decide completely if she does or doesn't have any feelings for Harima.
Oh, I get that. Even if she doesn't have feelings now, she can still develop them later, in theory, or she may be revealed to have them later. The point here, though, is that this response of guilt is tied to Eri, not Harima.

Quote:
Still, I can't help but feel even if this spells a revelation for Yakumo's feelings for Harima, the indication that Harima had chosen Tenma over the manga might actually be a signal to tell us that Onigiri has taken a step backwards. It's because of the fact that Onigiri mainly has its connections through the manga. This would probably be good for Yakumo, though, considering how focused she is on supporting Oudou now.
It's not really about Onigiri, at the end of the line, though. It's about Yakumo. Her character is what benefits by this act. Onigiri is more a matter for the fans, than for her, until she demonstrates an interest in Harima.
Old 2007-03-03, 22:16   Link #1640
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:

You must have had to swim through an ocean of Onigiri cockiness just to get to my post. I feel tired just thinking about all that effort.

All that I've done is to set the record straight.
A whole ocean of onigiri? LoL you are exagerrating. Finally seeing an onigiri moment after such a long flag development should naturally bring some cheer and optimism.

And I highly doubt harima really going to acting for good. He still has a manga to write. He may even have to do it concurrently to meet the deadline. Something he definitely need yakumo with.

Tags
hige, ojou, school