Ace Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
...Will and Grace.
...Scrubs
...Nip tuck.
...Small Ville.
...The O.C
??? those shows arent uhoh =D , smallville, The O.C, One Tree Hill all immense! cant wait for the continuation for Prison Break, Scrubs is legendary tho =]

i thought that maybe some of these shows targetted at teenagers may make it to japan, me and my friends do 'acquire' american TV shows as they often take a year or more to air on UK TV. Not sure about western animation.
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 18:18   Link #42
sorvani

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
about TV shows... well... are there many english fansubbed j-dramas anyway?
the short answer is yes.

http://www.d-addicts.com is my most common source. Is it as large as the anime scene? based on the number of leechers, i see.. no. but it probably isn't that far behind.
sorvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 19:59   Link #43
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

many many countries add subtitles to american sitcoms. this has been around far longer than the english anime seen doing it. i think the cosby show is subbed and dubben in over 20 languages.

i know at least full house is very popular in asia. not sure about beverly hills 90210....

not sure whats popular with recent shows though.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 09:16   Link #44
Tabris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
I can picture it now....Screech from saved by the bell (Dubbed) BAWAHAHAHA!
Speaking of Saved by the bell, my step brother was flicking through channels on Sky after I'd watched Soccer AM, he came across Extreme Dodgeball in which Mario Lopez (Slater) was a player. How things have gone downhill for him.

I can imagine fansubs working both ways.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 10:43   Link #45
I EAT BABIES
With Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris
Speaking of Saved by the bell, my step brother was flicking through channels on Sky after I'd watched Soccer AM, he came across Extreme Dodgeball in which Mario Lopez (Slater) was a player. How things have gone downhill for him.
Such is life. I think everyone in that cast has pretty much faded out of the lime light. They might still get a part here and there, but only Tiffany seems to still be doing half-way alright.
I EAT BABIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 11:31   Link #46
Roopoo
Roo

Send a message via MSN to Roopoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Not that I have heard of.

Anime otakus here could care less of what Americans make.

The majority of Japanese have very little interest in American shows.

Shows that are touted as "very big" (i.e: "Sex and the City" etc. etc.) are highly exaggerated - they do not get nearly the big hit ratings as Japanese (and more recently, Korean) dramas
Then just think what they are missing. Sex and the City was great!!!! So funny but I think u had to be female to enjoy it.
Roopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 13:38   Link #47
daflecta
(^_^)

This is what what happens when American cartoons are on air in Japan!
daflecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 14:18   Link #48
I EAT BABIES
With Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflecta
This is what what happens when American cartoons are on air in Japan!
I know plenty of people who would buy that. And yes, they are adults. But this wouldn't fly in the US. They'd be saying Nickolodean is promoting smoking.
I EAT BABIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 14:40   Link #49
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by I EAT BABIES
I know plenty of people who would buy that. And yes, they are adults. But this wouldn't fly in the US. They'd be saying Nickolodean is promoting smoking.

Well, you know Sponge Bob and Joe Camel hang out together on thier days off.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 14:47   Link #50
Dark Steno
Zigadongdong!

Send a message via MSN to Dark Steno
From what I heard through my friends studying there, they dont do something like fansubbing. Like certain Americans, they prefer dubbing. It is because they dont like to read subtitles. Subtitles somtimes annoying.
Dark Steno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 17:41   Link #51
XBlackRoseX

I don't see why they wouldn't dub an english show. It would be pretty odd though. Just imagine Miami Vice dubbed. o_O
XBlackRoseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 19:52   Link #52
ShikaShika
無罪

From my own experiance, Japanese tv does not seem to import many American shows at all. During my 1.5 month stay I can only remember catching one thing of American origin, the movie Dante's Peak, which was subbed. And we had the tv on practically all the time when we were at home. The impression I've gotten (from reading guide books and such) is that Japan used to dub a lot of imported movies and shows, but that the trend is going more towards subs in order to improve the general level of English in the country. Some Japanese guys at the place I stayed rented a movie which was subbed. You've generally got a choice though, and I think more advanced tv channels even offer a choice of subs or dubs, but I haven't seen that for myself, it's just something I've read. All I can say is that during my stay I can't remember seeing anything dubbed.

And completely off topic but I have to mention the absolutely hilarious show they've got from which you're supposed to learn English. There's this American that helps demonstrating phrases and the guy is just too much. I wish I could have brought a taped copy, it was the funniest thing ever.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 20:44   Link #53
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikaShika
From my own experiance, Japanese tv does not seem to import many American shows at all. During my 1.5 month stay I can only remember catching one thing of American origin, the movie Dante's Peak, which was subbed.
I was in Tokyo for a week, a couple of years ago, and I hardly watched TV, just a little in the evening, and I saw around 10 different shows. And the neat thing I remember was that you could change the audio to English - dubbed Japanese or a mix of the 2 at the same time. The show I really remember was ER, I compared the original to the dubbed voices, and was impressed with how the Japanese actors voices and delivery matched up quite well to the originals.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 00:53   Link #54
Dark Steno
Zigadongdong!

Send a message via MSN to Dark Steno
Perhaps paid channels are different?
Dark Steno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 12:09   Link #55
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki
I was in Tokyo for a week, a couple of years ago, and I hardly watched TV, just a little in the evening, and I saw around 10 different shows. And the neat thing I remember was that you could change the audio to English - dubbed Japanese or a mix of the 2 at the same time. The show I really remember was ER, I compared the original to the dubbed voices, and was impressed with how the Japanese actors voices and delivery matched up quite well to the originals.
Wow, talk about a difference then, maybe it depends on the channels available. Though now I remember seeing another American show, a sitcom, though not one of the more popular ones, I couldn't even name it. And yeah, that audio switching thing is what I had heard about, that's pretty neat. (Though it would be completely useless here in Sweden since nobody watches dubs here anyway.)
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-20, 23:54   Link #56
BPS
Banned

well our toons arent as popular so im sure there are some but not as many. It would probably have its own term in japan if they did.
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-21, 01:04   Link #57
Tone

I once saw an english episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, only dubbed into japanese.

No, im not talking about Super Sentai or anything, im talking american power rangers.

boy, was that weird.
Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-21, 11:29   Link #58
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone
I once saw an english episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, only dubbed into japanese.

No, im not talking about Super Sentai or anything, im talking american power rangers.

boy, was that weird.
That is weird.

Oh, and Japan is now making Powerpuff Girls Z.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-21, 12:01   Link #59
Paper Lilies

Send a message via AIM to Paper Lilies
Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
That is weird.

Oh, and Japan is now making Powerpuff Girls Z.
Oh, God. That is nothing short of rad.

And slightly scary.
Paper Lilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-21, 12:45   Link #60
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I have, sitting on my harddrive, a fansubbed episode 1 of 12 Oz Mouse, translated into japanese that I created with a native japnese speaker as an experiement.

I haven't attempted to actually distro it to anyone, however... as I'm not exactly sure how.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote