AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-09-08, 10:14   Link #661
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I have been swapping between my Guardian and Thief constantly because thief on Critical Strikes and Acrobatics is REALLY hard to play.

For me, despite holding pure crit gear, it seems that my total damage with my crit is a whole lot more less than my Guardian, who is 6 levels below but can consistently dish out 100 damage every hit with a Greatsword. Unless I do an Infinite Slash Pistol Whip on someone, I can't get out damage between the 300-700 range.

I didn't put any on Deadly Arts for additional might. Should I have done so in the first place?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 13:34   Link #662
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I have been swapping between my Guardian and Thief constantly because thief on Critical Strikes and Acrobatics is REALLY hard to play.

For me, despite holding pure crit gear, it seems that my total damage with my crit is a whole lot more less than my Guardian, who is 6 levels below but can consistently dish out 100 damage every hit with a Greatsword. Unless I do an Infinite Slash Pistol Whip on someone, I can't get out damage between the 300-700 range.

I didn't put any on Deadly Arts for additional might. Should I have done so in the first place?
Play as a condition damage Thief. It increases a lot of your dps, even if your damage isn't that great. Deadly Arts is a must too btw, you should have increased that. I use condition damage gear, and can dish out some cool damage with it.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 14:12   Link #663
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
Play as a condition damage Thief. It increases a lot of your dps, even if your damage isn't that great. Deadly Arts is a must too btw, you should have increased that. I use condition damage gear, and can dish out some cool damage with it.
I am using a Sword/Pistol build and basing most on Critical and Condition Damage.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-09-08, 14:49   Link #664
leokiko

Quote:
I am using a Sword/Pistol build and basing most on Critical and Condition Damage.
I see. I'm using double dagger. Thief's damage isn't that great to begin with, but being fast makes up for that.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 15:14   Link #665
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
I see. I'm using double dagger. Thief's damage isn't that great to begin with, but being fast makes up for that.
The main trick with Sword/Pistol thief seems to be running around and swiping your enemies while you hold them down with Needle Trap - the earlier levels makes it more useless than it looks.

I guess I need to train her up. I manage to hit 800+ with crits now, but the damn crit rate keeps decreasing below 40%.

Old 2012-09-08, 16:23   Link #666
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
The main trick with Sword/Pistol thief seems to be running around and swiping your enemies while you hold them down with Needle Trap - the earlier levels makes it more useless than it looks.

I guess I need to train her up. I manage to hit 800+ with crits now, but the damn crit rate keeps decreasing below 40%.
That's pretty much standard tac for any dagger usage, I have to do the same with D/D ele.
Conditions do loads of damage so is good idea to gear towards it if your not generally not hitting high enough.
I'd personally only worry about crit once I reach 80 but then what do I know I was still using lvl 20 stuff when I'm lvl 50(don't worry I just spent some hard earned silver and copper and bought me some new threads and bling)
Old 2012-09-08, 17:28   Link #667
Xion Valkyrie

GW2 looks really great in screen shots.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Anyone know if you can reach this floating castle? It'd be awesome if it was a dungeon or something.
Images

Made a Charr warrior named 'Fenrawr the Purring'. Probably going to play him as my main for a while.

Images
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 17:38   Link #668
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I love GW2 for its subtleties. I just killed a couple of bears outside of a cave because, you know... Bears. XP. Loot. Then I went into the cave to see if there was something more there.

There was. A dead deer. And two bear cubs.

Kinda made me feel like a monster for a second there, as the feeling that I'd just orphaned two little bear cubs crawled up my spine.

Of course, I killed the cubs. Because, you know, bears, XP, loot, but the point is that I did feel like a monster for that one second. No dialog, no people screaming at me what a monster I was, just... two bear cubs in a cave you have to kill two bears to get in.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 17:39   Link #669
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I wish they gave the Guardian class the ability to channel buffs like a bard. That would certainly be fun to play.

Alright I got it right : apparently for Thief S/G you need to have a pure precision gear. I manage to get 45% Crit rate right now, and only every 6 or 7 hits I get a normal one, Pistol Whip consistently hits between 400-700, occassionally a rare 900 on mobs with +1 level above me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Of course, I killed the cubs. Because, you know, bears, XP, loot, but the point is that I did feel like a monster for that one second. No dialog, no people screaming at me what a monster I was, just... two bear cubs in a cave you have to kill two bears to get in.
One thing to note is that the cubs are the same level as their parents, so despite their small size, they still pose a similar level of threat.

Kill them all.

Old 2012-09-08, 19:10   Link #670
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Yes, that was quite a surprise when I started whacking the little pests.

And the channeling of buffs is more the area of the mesmer. Thematically they fit the bard the best too, since most non-hero mesmers tend to be entertainers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Well, the slimest norn bodytype is the one on the right...
Maybe it's that one (should be the one on the lower middle during character creation)

I could've sworn I picked that one, but I still got a bulky one.

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-09-08 at 20:46.
Old 2012-09-08, 23:38   Link #671
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

If you're having trouble with Thief in pve, either:

1) Put a pistol in your off-hand, and abuse Black Powder. Unlike most other Blinds, Black Powder keeps a mob/mobs blinded the entire duration (most blinds only work for one attack), regardless of how many attacks they do in that time frame. This includes aoes, magic casts, etc. Words can't begin to describe how good this skill is (and it's pretty darn awesome in pvp as well). Either trait for improving your initiative regen so you can essentially keep it up 99% of the time, or interweave dodges (or Sword's Flanking Strike, which has Evade built in). My Thief is now level 49, and generally takes little to no damage while killing mobs, without bothering to kite or do anything fancy. For group content, dropping Black Powder on anything that can be blinded can make that first time you enter the dungeons a far more pleasant experience, especially if you're pugging. Add whatever you want as an opener with your second weapon set. ie: Poison field to start with your shortbow, to set up combo field, etc.

or

2) Trait entirely for initiative regen and Conditions, slot Signet of Malice in your heal slot, focus your gear on Condition damage, and just Death Blossom away with dual daggers. You'll essentially be perma-evading, while slowly twittling down mobs. You can even use dual daggers in both weapon sets, if you've got any upgrades that give +whatever on weapon swap.

Obviously, you can do whatever you want, but I find the above two options are the most pain-free way of grinding mobs as a Thief.

Personally, I prefer option 1, but either of these should make pve largely trivial as a Thief.

On the subject of Downscaling, it's ez-mode for everyone, not just Guardians.

As far as WvWvW goes, my only two issues are:

1) The incredibly long queue on my server, Black Gate. I was in the queue for four hours today, before I logged off, without getting in, as an example. Granted, on the weekdays, or off-hours, the queue is usually a lot more reasonable (10 minutes to an hour at most).

2) To truly compete, you need a global community on your server. The very few servers that have a large presence from around the entire world end up just dominating vs servers that have a player base concentrate in one geographic area, when those server's bulk of players all go to sleep. I should stress that I don't find this unfair in any way. It's just one of those issues you have little power over, whether or not people from Asia and Europe choose to play on a NA server or not. Or, vice versa. There's at least one server that seems to have attracted guilds world-wide, but unless we get a few more that do so, WvWvW is going to settle into that one server just dominating everyone. As someone who loves to either be the underdog, or stiff competition, I am keeping my eye out as to what server, if any, ends up being able to pull together a large enough international community to combat the only current server that seems to have done so already.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2012-09-09 at 00:15.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 00:19   Link #672
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I got too carried away with my female guardian and now shes 20 levels ahead of my main. >->
Old 2012-09-09, 01:00   Link #673
Aesthetic Shampoo

Well, i'm completely bored with this game now, most likely because i've been spending too much time trying to get 100% completion on all the maps i've been to. Just going to run through the personal story quest and everything in between now, and hopefully the dull sparkle will come back.

Btw, for all you warriors out there, how are you finding it? I preferred warriors because of their tankiness (i couldn't be bothered dancing around monsters i fight) but i'm beginning to wonder if there's more to them than that.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 02:06   Link #674
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTEss View Post
Well, i'm completely bored with this game now, most likely because i've been spending too much time trying to get 100% completion on all the maps i've been to. Just going to run through the personal story quest and everything in between now, and hopefully the dull sparkle will come back.

Btw, for all you warriors out there, how are you finding it? I preferred warriors because of their tankiness (i couldn't be bothered dancing around monsters i fight) but i'm beginning to wonder if there's more to them than that.
My view on Warriors is that they are one of the most complete classes in the game, as well as being one of, if not the, prime burst classes you want to have on your team for small scale pvp/tournaments. Incredible burst damage if you wish, or you can play control/support with your hammer, or even a respectable ranged character with your rifle, or combine hammer with dual axes or a GS for control + Burst, or whatever. They have some incredibly good support skills for spvp/tournaments. I'm finding them middle of the pack in WvWvW though.

From a pve point of view, their tankiness that comes from insane health regeneration coupled with high damage mitagation, and large health pools, while also being able to put out crazy damage using dual axes or a GS, imo, makes them the simplest class to level. At early levels, I'm guessing the vast majority of Warriors are playing a signet + Precision Traitline build that has them at 80-90+ crit rates, which makes the first 30 odd levels incredibly faceroll. I'm not sure who at Anet thought it was a good idea for any class to walk around for 1/3 of the leveling treadmill with such high passive crit, but may as well take advantage of it while it exists. Even when their crit starts to drop to somewhat sane levels, they're still outputting such silly amounts of damage that pve continues to be the definition of ez-mode.

In fact, having played a Warrior first, I had to radically adjust my expectations and approach to playing the game when I started playing other classes. In some cases, I've yet to be able to do that, and find the following classes incredibly stale to play, despite my best efforts:

Engineer
Elementalist
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 02:22   Link #675
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Engineer's challenge lies in skill management, since equipping kits means you essentially have 30 skills on you at all time, all with uses varying depending on the situation.
Old 2012-09-09, 03:28   Link #676
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
I got too carried away with my female guardian and now shes 20 levels ahead of my main. >->
Guardian is an easy class to play. Not as challenging as Thief, which is so squishy that you can't even try it without getting Vit/Toughness equipment.

Old 2012-09-09, 03:37   Link #677
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Why are the hairstyles so short? I want longer hairs on my characters, as per anime style. >.>

Also, to level up my jeweling, I've had to go back to 1-15 areas for copper. I also upgraded a staff with a sigil that gives me +5 power when i kill something up to 125 til I die or enter a new zone which becomes crazy awesome when fully powered up. The zone restriction kinda blows, but I can just attack random animals or events to build it up again. The MF version of this seems cute as well.

The funny thing is that the attack buff can be carried over to your weapon switch, so my scepter can do some real damage if I switch to it.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 07:52   Link #678
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTEss View Post

lol a friend was telling me that he saw someone trying to discuss if we were all bored of the game yet.
I could only laugh and reply "it's only been a week how the hell could you get bored that quickly?!"
Seems there are people that re getting bored after all
I've also been trying for 100% with areas I've been to but haven't found it boring yet, I did Lornar's Pass yesterday which is simply massive but some of the views are amazing.
I'd advise jumping into WvW for some down time from PvE, it can be really good fun.
Old 2012-09-09, 09:49   Link #679
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I thought I'd mention that 100% area completions give you 10% of your current exp needed to level so you might be better of to leave it at 99% and complete it once you're in the lvl70+ range.

As for WvW, I got zerged too many times by other servers yesterday. And apparently I'm either in the wrong time zone or at the wrong place since except some random sentries we never managed to get one of the bigger objectives even though my server (Stormbluff Isle) seems to be pretty good WvW wise.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 11:53   Link #680
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Depends on the matchup we run into. While stormbluff have a sizeable force during offpeak hours, there are still servers with much bigger force than us. Not to mention we got tagged team quite a lot by both opponents during the last few matchup.