AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2009-02-08, 01:39   Link #101
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm getting to like Yen Press more and more for their choices --- just hope they can move on the properties at a decent clip.
Is it just me, or does anybody else have the feeling that we'll see the novel and manga released in the States before the anime?

Also, I too am getting to like Yen Press a little more each day.
RampagingEvangelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 05:40   Link #102
salv87
Can't think of a title^_^

he kinda looks more like a baka to me ^_^
salv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 11:39   Link #103
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampagingEvangelion View Post
Is it just me, or does anybody else have the feeling that we'll see the novel and manga released in the States before the anime?
With volume 1 of the novels scheduled for a Dec 2009 release, I'd say it's very likely the novel's release will beat any anime release. Even if a distributor is found for the anime before then, it's unlikely a DVD release will happen before then, especially if the series is dubbed. If the series isn't going to be dubbed, it might could happen. But in the current economic climate, I have my doubts about the timing.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 21:26   Link #104
Kaguya
an idler

Wow, so cute.
Nora appeared at last!
The episode of current number of Dengeki Maoh is an original story.

Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 14:06   Link #105
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Oh shit! Buying it right now!
Old 2009-06-18, 16:11   Link #106
FTGT

I just found the time to read the chapters 8 to 10 of the manga version. Its just marvelous. ^^

Spoiler for I love this picture (chapter 9):
FTGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 17:37   Link #107
Kaguya
an idler

From Dengekibunko mail magazine

"Spice and Wolf Dengeki comic anthology " A release day is scheduled for September 27.
The first anthology comics appears in "Spice and Wolf"!
A cover is a illustration of Keito Koume.
A tribute illustration is offered by EIWA, Yuu Katase, HIMA, Yasu, etc.
The members of a gorgeous cartoonist gather also about a comic!!

I want to look at the illustration of Horo by Yasu personally.
Old 2009-07-27, 04:29   Link #108
Kaguya
an idler

Wow, the extra of the Dengeki Maoh September issue is a 35-page booklet of S&W.
The collaboration Yuri illustration by Keito Koume and Juu Ayakura, side story novel "A wolf and a silver sigh", the anthology comics and etc. are contained.
It seems to be the trial version of the anthology comic released in September.
I was made to buy two magazines.
Spoiler for image:
Sorry, double-posting.
Old 2009-07-28, 10:08   Link #109
FTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
Sorry, double-posting.
Personally I think, if you have interesting news like that you can do "infinity-posting".
FTGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 13:20   Link #110
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Yeah, I just ordered that magazine. Should be shipping out on the 11th with another magazine I wanted, but have to wait for. ;_;
Old 2009-09-21, 17:35   Link #111
Kaguya
an idler

Spice and Wolf Dengeki comic anthology is released on September 26.
About a participating artist, the following members are added to post #107.

Tekehiro, IkutaTakanon, MorinaSuzuha, ProfOotsuki&Suigetsu, Weather&HALO, ArataToshihiro, KusumiRanma, Hiura R, HoshizakiHikaru, MinazukiShinobu, MorinaSuzuha, etc.

yesasia.com
Old 2009-09-22, 04:54   Link #112
DreXav
Amused one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
Much <3 for that one! =]
Old 2009-09-22, 12:56   Link #113
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That is.... a very distracting cover for #3. In the words of Igor (Dorktower): "It MUST be mine!"
Old 2010-02-07, 13:23   Link #114
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just a reminder - the first volume of the S&W manga translated to english by Yen Press is due out in April 2010.

There have been 3 volumes released in Japan.
Old 2010-02-18, 22:33   Link #115
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

This is at least 90% manga related, so I figured I'd throw it out there to see what others were thinking, but...

As I had been exploring the net for fan fiction (which I generally like because these people try to reflect the nature and personality of the characters and tend create good material and take stories in a direction that has/had not yet been explored or maybe had not yet been explored to such a degress that they tied up loose ends), I stumbled upon the dozin style.

I was not familiar with this particular form of story coneyance, since I have never really gotten into a particular manga, anime, etc. Sooooooo, I downloaded scans of them and was shocked as to how all the stories I opened spiraled into ummmm... a shallow, graphic, physical encounter, which was rather degrading to Hol(r)o. Prior to this, I was unaware that the dozin typically followed this format.

I don't think myself prudish, but I really, really, really did not like seeing Hol(r)o drawn and written into such a situation whether or not it was even remotely consentual. Obviously, the solution is for me to simply follow the canonical manga and avoid these , but I guess I just really don't like seeing a character I love being depicted in this way.

I am aware that the arguement could be made that I have imposed onto her a framework of behavior and morality that I follow and consider desirable, and may not represent the value system she holds if I spoke with her creator, but...

I have discussed this with other folks recently, but I figured I would mention it for anyone who wanted to share... what say y'all? I really don't mean for this to become heated, so if this is determined to be even a touchy subject, I won't be upset if someone wiser and/or more familiar and in charge of the forum shuts this line of discussion down as I do not want to be a source of conflict and woe for others here.
Old 2010-02-18, 22:52   Link #116
BashZeStampeedo

I find it's hard to get upset about it. To begin with, it's tough for people to find the time to invest in writing good quality fics, and for someone like a doujin maker (who may want to make a buck while they're at it) it's often easier to find an audience who wants fantasy/wish fulfillment than something in-character and canon. And of course, wish-fulfillment often takes the form of hentai, which isn't everyone's thing.

On the serious side of the fandom, it's especially difficult to find good fanfics for something like Spice and Wolf. It requires a great deal of effort to be convincingly consistent with the original work in something like this without rely on lame stereotypes or obvious characterization (such as Lawrence = merchant twit doomed to fail, Horo = flirty action girl saving his ass).

In the end I say live and let live. There are some surprisingly good fics out there. For instance, I really enjoyed this one.
BashZeStampeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 23:07   Link #117
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
This is at least 90% manga related, so I figured I'd throw it out there to see what others were thinking, but...

As I had been exploring the net for fan fiction (which I generally like because these people try to reflect the nature and personality of the characters and tend create good material and take stories in a direction that has/had not yet been explored or maybe had not yet been explored to such a degress that they tied up loose ends), I stumbled upon the dozin style.

I was not familiar with this particular form of story coneyance, since I have never really gotten into a particular manga, anime, etc. Sooooooo, I downloaded scans of them and was shocked as to how all the stories I opened spiraled into ummmm... a shallow, graphic, physical encounter, which was rather degrading to Hol(r)o. Prior to this, I was unaware that the dozin typically followed this format.

I don't think myself prudish, but I really, really, really did not like seeing Hol(r)o drawn and written into such a situation whether or not it was even remotely consentual. Obviously, the solution is for me to simply follow the canonical manga and avoid these , but I guess I just really don't like seeing a character I love being depicted in this way.

I am aware that the arguement could be made that I have imposed onto her a framework of behavior and morality that I follow and consider desirable, and may not represent the value system she holds if I spoke with her creator, but...

I have discussed this with other folks recently, but I figured I would mention it for anyone who wanted to share... what say y'all? I really don't mean for this to become heated, so if this is determined to be even a touchy subject, I won't be upset if someone wiser and/or more familiar and in charge of the forum shuts this line of discussion down as I do not want to be a source of conflict and woe for others here.
Saw your PM just now.. sorry about not answering.

Explicit doujinshi is endemic to almost every series in existence - Spice&Wolf is no exception. It doesn't matter HOW innocent the source material is - someone has done a XXX fan manga of it. In fact... more than a few manga artists have done such doujinshi of other works themselves - which results in some quality work (XXX or not), some of which gets officially published in authorized collections.

I've probably seen the ones you came across and yeah... they were pretty shallow. The authors didn't seem to grasp that some more effort into the premise/storyline would increase the authenticity and ergo the eroticism.

I *will* say that, on average, japanese doujinshi does a better job of keeping characters IN character (unlike a lot of Western fan fiction I come across for series like Star Trek or whatever).... but.

But doujinshi are most definitely NOT canon... either they're wish-fantasies... or perhaps speculation about those "between scenes" moments. A lot of them are pretty immature or amateurish.

Forum rules don't forbid discussion of doujinshi... but links to unlicensed material must pass "PG-13" requirements to keep AS marginally safe for all ages (haha... yeah, depends on the clues of the parents).
As usual, a license rights holder may request material be taken down (though I've not seen any anime/manga rights-holders go after fan art, image snaps, wallpapers, etc yet). The final say is up to the OWNER of the AS site - so if you have doubts about a specific link, I'd say ask a mod about it.

Edit: oh and you don't have to worry about the Holo/Horo thing...
If the romaji fight is that bothersome just type ホロ.
Old 2010-02-18, 23:30   Link #118
Attoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashZeStampeedo View Post
On the serious side of the fandom, it's especially difficult to find good fanfics for something like Spice and Wolf. It requires a great deal of effort to be convincingly consistent with the original work in something like this without rely on lame stereotypes or obvious characterization (such as Lawrence = merchant twit doomed to fail, Horo = flirty action girl saving his ass).
It is very difficult to find fanfics for a series like Spice and Wolf. Being a fellow fanfic writer myself, the hardest thing is to stay true to the characters of the original story. This is especially hard for Spice and Wolf, since the series involve a lot of character development through interactions and dialogues between the 2 main roles. Capturing Horo's personality and respones is the greatest challenge for a finfic writer for this series, which deter a lot of authors because the fic is as a good to the extend of how well you are able to capture the 2 main roles personalities and interactions. Also, the setting and the focus on economics also limits the flexiblity and creative space for the series. The series is hard to write a fanfic on because it actaully requires a good and interesting plot, and a considerable amount of thought to the contents of the story, unlike those fanfics related to Shonuen fighting series.

Last edited by Attoney; 2010-02-19 at 00:53. Reason: well the quote somehow got messed up, anybody able to fix it for me?
Attoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 00:04   Link #119
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You are missing a "/" in the closing quote tag.
Old 2010-02-19, 01:32   Link #120
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Saw your PM just now.. sorry about not answering.

Explicit doujinshi is endemic to almost every series in existence - Spice&Wolf is no exception. It doesn't matter HOW innocent the source material is - someone has done a XXX fan manga of it. In fact... more than a few manga artists have done such doujinshi of other works themselves - which results in some quality work (XXX or not), some of which gets officially published in authorized collections.

I've probably seen the ones you came across and yeah... they were pretty shallow. The authors didn't seem to grasp that some more effort into the premise/storyline would increase the authenticity and ergo the eroticism.

I *will* say that, on average, japanese doujinshi does a better job of keeping characters IN character (unlike a lot of Western fan fiction I come across for series like Star Trek or whatever).... but.

But doujinshi are most definitely NOT canon... either they're wish-fantasies... or perhaps speculation about those "between scenes" moments. A lot of them are pretty immature or amateurish.
No problem, well done in multi-tasking by taking care of multiple things in a single post!

Yeah ホロ does kind of take care of the issue...

I guess what I find frustrating is that when I read a novel or manga or anything, I like to be able to relate to a character and put myself in their place. So, when I saw those I felt frustrated and even embarassed.

On top of that (and I know it was touched on but), when the set-up for a story is "Hey, since we're at an inn..." or "Ummmm... I'm feeling a little hard up, so... you wanna go at it?" I really don't relate well to that, because if I were to somehow in end up in that situation, I would likely find myself chewing on the head board of the bed, praying for a cold shower, or looking for a pastor FAST to perform the short, short version . Of course, as a friend had already pointed out to me, given ホロ's relationship with the church that last one likely wouldn't be an option.

Tags
fantasy, seinen