AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-05-16, 15:21   Link #1
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Gatekeeper/Gatekeeper 21

This has been buggin me for a while.

Can someone fill me in on the what happen during the time gap between the end of Gatekeeper and Start of Gatekeeper 21?

And what happen to each of the characters after the ending of the original gatekeeper?
Old 2006-05-16, 17:55   Link #2
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

I don't know but here I'll make something up. And this is real old so I'm not sticking it in a spoiler.

Shun and Ruripei get married. They have a child. While she was a little girl, Shun gets killed. All the others slowly get killed and Ruripei dies eventually too. Shun's daughter is raised by his sister (Who appears to be a single mom too).

Just like Shun, he daughter is really pissed that her dad left her at an early age. 10 years later, we have Gatekeepers 21.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-16, 17:57   Link #3
sorvani

you know i have never seen GK. only GK21.. i really need to break down and watch that. thanks for reminding me of the series Xellos... i think.....
sorvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-16, 20:51   Link #4
youknowme

Here's somewhat of an explanation of what happened

http://www.geocities.com/aegisfiles/gk1985.html
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-17, 13:08   Link #5
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Crap! I got it Wrong.
Ruripei does not marry Shun...damn

Ayane's mother is Youko Isuzu. (Whomever that is)

Here's the main link for that page

http://www.geocities.com/aegisfiles/

Old 2006-05-17, 13:36   Link #6
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowme
Here's somewhat of an explanation of what happened

http://www.geocities.com/aegisfiles/gk1985.html

Now that answer most of my question but opens up many more. i wish they anime that inbetween part of it witht he Death Ageis, sounds a lot better then the original GK or GK21. GK21 has a lot potiential but needs more eps.
Old 2006-05-17, 13:49   Link #7
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
There was some news back a long while ago that Gonzo was going to make a GK21 TV series, but nobody has heard anything about that in a long time, so I would doubt that it's still on the table.
Old 2006-05-17, 14:35   Link #8
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
There was some news back a long while ago that Gonzo was going to make a GK21 TV series, but nobody has heard anything about that in a long time, so I would doubt that it's still on the table.
It was not a GK21 TV series, but a GK1985 anime.

For those who do not know, there's a GK1985 novel.

GK1985 novel is a direct sequel to the original Gatekeepers anime that serves as a bridge to link the stories of Gatekeepers and GK21 altogether.

Each sequel in the GK universe takes at a precise interval of sixteen years.

Gatekeepers (1969) - - > GK1985 (1985) - - > GK21 (2001)
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-17, 14:46   Link #9
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
It was not a GK21 TV series, but a GK1985 anime.
Gonzo switched to that later. They first announced a GK21 TV series way back a couple years ago, but it never got past the planning stages.
Old 2006-06-18, 05:05   Link #10
rei
Nya~ I'm a good actress

GK21 isn't that great to me. I'm really disappointed I prefer the GK series. GK21 is a little 'dark' for me.
rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 01:07   Link #11
Nemuru

Just finish watching GK TV and GK 21 OVA.

I'll have to say I'm quite please with the show, Junichi Sato and Koichi Chigira work both shine in Gate Keepers the TV series. Currently watching Tower of Druaga, it’s a nice follow up on his (Koichi Chigira) work. Something’s I’m quite disappointed about, my Ruripee never got the man she wanted. At first I was overjoyed knowing that Ayane from GK 21 could be their child but that theory got shot down fast when you consider her family name Isuzu. The reappearance of Yukino and Reiji are both appreciate and finally the sequel ended nicely as both Ayane and Miyu grew a little inside.

I will have to give credit to Hiroshi Yamaguchi for being capable in directing GK21. Miu/Miyu Struggle to find her role as a gatekeepers and her final resolve are some of the shows aspect that I enjoy. On the other hand Ayane growth as a character and her acceptance of MIyu/Miu as friend was quite touching.
It sadden me Hiroshi Yamaguchi couldn’t bring out the same feeing to Rosario+Vampire.

GateKeeper TV 8/10
GaeKeeper 21 8.5/10 because I like my anime with a darker theme more^^, Like how I enjoyed Nadesico the movie more than the TV
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 01:25   Link #12
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Never knew AEGIS became an illegal organization after their commander got offed...

Shame, but I haven't seen the novel and GK21. But I liked the series.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 01:30   Link #13
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Gatekeepers 21? I treat it the same as Macross II; to me, it doesn't exist lol. And even if it did, I'm treating Ayane as the product of a one night stand from Shun and her mom when Shun was terribly depressed about the disappearance/death of Ruriko. Speculation? Hell yea, but I've been part of a group known to be 'delusional', so whatever...

RurikoXShun FTFW... end of story lol.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 09:36   Link #14
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Gatekeepers 21? I treat it the same as Macross II; to me, it doesn't exist lol. And even if it did, I'm treating Ayane as the product of a one night stand from Shun and her mom when Shun was terribly depressed about the disappearance/death of Ruriko. Speculation? Hell yea, but I've been part of a group known to be 'delusional', so whatever...

RurikoXShun FTFW... end of story lol.
Agree Ruriko x Shun FTW.

lol, the sad part is how the TV series ended with an accidental kiss. It’s quite heartaching to know that Shun and Ruriko never got together but Ayane is a good girl.
Also knowing too much can be a bad thing.

Spoiler for Ruriko events in Gatekeeper 1985:
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 09:12   Link #15
Sciel
Etoilé

Sorry for bumping this fossil of a topic but after doing a search and finding this topic i felt i just had to post here .
I absolutely adored gatekeepers when it premiered on AXN Asia a couple of years back . I remember the times when i used to rush to the tele at five to catch gatekeepers. That aside , the series was made of win . The only thing i didn't particularly like was the Mecha , it just seemed out of place.

I didn't particularly enjoy G21 since i found out that Ukiya and Ruripe don't end up together . Kageyama coming back as a good guy was also all sorts of weird .

Anyways , i hope Gonzo continues the gatekeeper franchise (hopefully) sometime soon . Would love to see a sequal to the original (and maybe even a retcon of what happened in G21 *coughukiyaandshuncough*
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 17:53   Link #16
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Well it ended over 3 years ago...so I think your hopes are slim.

And I hated G21 almost as much as the Nadescio movie.

Old 2009-04-04, 07:54   Link #17
npcomplete

More fossil bumping. I actually like G21 much more than the original. Aside from better production values, it was darker, richer, melancholic, and grittier. It was just too short.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 02:49   Link #18
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

And then, even more fossil bumping i enjoy and like both Gatekeepers and it's sequel GK21 but i also admit that some details are a bit too confusing i already read the "Aegis Files" page about GK 1985 and i hope to someday find the novel translated to english i know much of the info but there are some things that i alsso want to read madly(like the Epic battle of Shun against the True Leader of all Invaders xD!).

Anyway, i really like GK21, aside from the deception that Shun did not end with Ruriko(i also liked that couple) the overall plot is really good, a bit dark but interesting Ayane is a Badass Bookworm with strong character and it's interesting how she start to showing more and more of her father's traits despite her claims that she hates him(just like Shun with her own father just a little bit bitter). My only complain aside from the "original gatekeepers" fates is that i felt that the story is too short xD
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 20:05   Link #19
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
i already read the "Aegis Files" page about...
Holy cow, that site is still on the internet?
>geocitrus
Lol. I guess Yahoo! didn't wipe pages when it killed the geocities service - just migrated them.

Ah, and your last statement, yeah they created such an interesting world in the series and it kinda sucks it'll never be revisited.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-02, 23:53   Link #20
davyu

I read minimal Japanese, but some godly being made a complete translated version in Chinese, which I do read. I'm considering sort of roughly translating it into English if there's enough interest in it.

Be warned. The Chinese translation goes into great depth with the Japanese terms (such as location names) and all that. I'm not that devoted, if I do it at all, I'm just planning to do it so that you guys know what happens between the 2 series.
davyu is offline   Reply With Quote