AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-01-06, 16:20   Link #1
Ibycus

On the hunt!

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and have been on an anime kick lately. I would love to get some suggestions for new anime/manga because I am coming up dry on my search.

I recently watched Steins Gate and thought it was awesome! Loved the story and I found the characters engaging. I also got sucked into Sword Art Online for its characters and awesome animation and fight scenes. I tried accel world but it didn't quite hook me. I've also tried to get into Fate/Zero but I'm not crazy about the story.

Things I've really liked
Steins Gate
SAO
Eden - except the ending
Battle angel - The manga is my all time favorite!
Cowboy bebop
Samuri Champloo
Naruto - but I don't like one piece
kurohime - sexy and fun
Akira - of course
Read or die OVA's were amazing but the TV show kind of lacks

I've never really gotten into mech based anime.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some recommendations if you have any.
Ibycus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 16:32   Link #2
kitten320

Sadly your description doesn't tell me much about what you are looking for.

I personally found SAO boring and with the most 1 dimensional/boring characters ever while F/Z was a treat for me.

What do you consider to be a good story?
What do you consider to be good characters?
What exactly do you like about Naruto but dislike about One Piece?

If you can give more information, I'll be glad to help but like that I don't really know what to recommend =/

The only thing that pops into my head right now is Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica.
Foe one don't get pushed away by cute art, it is a deceiving mechanism. Series are darker than that. Besides it has a lot in common with Steins;Gate, more than you may think at first.
I found story engaging with some nice action animation.
Characters are quiet engaging especially when you learn more about them. Homura is one of the best characters there but she is a mystery for biggest part of the series.
Old 2013-01-06, 16:39   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Fullmetal Alchemist would be my suggestion

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 17:32   Link #4
Traece
:cool:

You might give Fairy Tail a try.

I would also recommend going through and watching some slightly older and classic anime that had lots of popularity. Stuff like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Ghost in the Shell, Code Geass, DBZ, Darker Than Black, Full Metal Panic!, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Bleach, Macross, Mobile Suit Gundam, etc.
Old 2013-01-06, 17:39   Link #5
Ibycus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Sadly your description doesn't tell me much about what you are looking for.

I personally found SAO boring and with the most 1 dimensional/boring characters ever while F/Z was a treat for me.

What do you consider to be a good story?
What do you consider to be good characters?
What exactly do you like about Naruto but dislike about One Piece?

If you can give more information, I'll be glad to help but like that I don't really know what to recommend =/

The only thing that pops into my head right now is Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica.
Foe one don't get pushed away by cute art, it is a deceiving mechanism. Series are darker than that. Besides it has a lot in common with Steins;Gate, more than you may think at first.
I found story engaging with some nice action animation.
Characters are quiet engaging especially when you learn more about them. Homura is one of the best characters there but she is a mystery for biggest part of the series.
hmmm, I guess it's hard to classify what is "good" to me in those different areas. Let me think...Well it was a while ago I tried to watch one piece but it just didn't hold my attention and i can't remember why. In fact i tried to watch it two different times. Naruto on the other hand I've really enjoyed how the world is constructed, the reasons for everything (chakara etc), the conflict between characters, their motivations, and the awesome battles.

hmmm, to be honest I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly. It's a hard thing to describe because any way I think of describing what I'm looking for I can think of things I like and don't like that fit the description. I was hoping someone would see my list above and have similar taste and suggest something I haven't come across yet.

accel world for instance, I really love the animation and the main character but didn't like the fights or the design of the characters in the fighting online world. (perhaps I need to watch it some more) Sword art online was the first time I had seen a virtual world used and I really liked the idea of a game designer trapping everyone in the world to play to the death, also, I thought the animation and fights were done really well.

I'll check out Mahou Shoujo Madoka.
Old 2013-01-06, 17:44   Link #6
Ibycus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
You might give Fairy Tail a try.

I would also recommend going through and watching some slightly older and classic anime that had lots of popularity. Stuff like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Ghost in the Shell, Code Geass, DBZ, Darker Than Black, Full Metal Panic!, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Bleach, Macross, Mobile Suit Gundam, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have seen a few of those and really like Ghost in the Shell! I watched DBZ when I was in high school, that was fun, and I think thats why I like Naruto now, though they are not terribly similar.

I'm not sure why but I can't get into mecha anime I've tried but the only one I ever liked was evangelion. Macross and gundam I've never been able to get into.
Old 2013-01-06, 18:14   Link #7
Aqua Knight

Seconding Full Metal Panic.
It will definitely help you get in mecha slowly, though FMP plot isn't that really depend on mecha.

I consider FMP to be one of the best anime series ever done.
Old 2013-01-06, 21:06   Link #8
kitten320

Hhhmmm, I see... can't say that I 100% understand what you want but I have a better idea now so will try to suggest the following:

Ao no Exorcist - main hero is similar to MC by the fact that both of them have power of monster within them and are hated by majority. There are several conflicts arising and series have some nice action moments. Besides blue flame always looks good.

Baccano! - a very simple story but written in a way that makes you engaged and want to learn more. Huge variety of characters and each one with their own moto and story. Great action scenes as well. I'm sure you'll find characters of your liking there. Whatever questions you might have at first, will be answered later on. 1st episode is just an introduction, reall stuff starts in episode 2.

Berserk - if you don't mind something older than this is a great choice. It has engaging story and manages to flash out the characters well. Battles involve a lot of strategies and are fun to watch. Some major conflicts arise that lead to some dark times.
There are new movies coming out but I would recommend old anime over them. Movies simply miss a lot of material and feelings.

Death Note - this is a must for any anime watcher, especially if you like suspense and mind games.

I'll second FMA series, actually both seasons. Series have great vast of characters, each one with their own goal. Engaging story and battles. First season is an anime original material while Brotherhood follows manga. Only several first episodes are similar, afterwards series take 2 different takes on what is happening. I liked both seasons but if one of them won't fit you, try another one.

I duno if this will work but I'll still suggest it: Ga-Rei Zero. The main theme of the series is "Will you kill the one you love because of love?". Series have mood switch though. At first it is dark then it goes into happy flashback which eventually leads to the dark beginning and conclusion.
For me Yomi is one of the most interesting characters and the ones I got really attached to.

Hunter x Hunter - shounen with some interesting characters. Not too strong action wise at first, but gets better as it goes. My favorite arc is Phantom arc. There are old and new series. Which are better is hard to tell since both have their pluses and minuses. New version has faster start. I would recommend to watch new series and maybe later watch older version for comparison.

InuYasha - people have mixed emotions about this one but I loved it. It has big variety of characters and each one has their story and role to play. The setting is quiet unique too, it is mostly based in old times.

Katekyo Hitman Reborn! - since I didn't like SAO, I thought I could try to recommend another show that was not of my liking. There is a chance that you might like it since you like SAO. Series also have quiet big fanbase. It did have some nice action scenes. Just to warn you though, first 20 episodes are mostly useless fillers which for most part can be skipped. Really story starts after that.

Mirai Nikki - it has a similar concept to F/Z series but at the same time different. Several people are selected and given a future diary that can predict what will happen next. However, the way information is written differs for everyone. It depends on the way they kept their real diaries. Some people wrote about everything, others wrote about specific people and so on.
Using these diaries they have to fight each other and the one who wins will become the new God.

Monster - detective series. A surgeon once saved a child's life. However, years later he learns that the same child turned into a serial killer. To make it worse he is a suspect now. Surgeon is determined to stop the "Monster" and clean his own name. A lot of interesting characters and mysteries.

Seirei no Moribito - more down to earth series with a more realistic take on things. A female bodyguard Balsa is forced to protect a prince who is sentenced to death by his own father. Why?
Pursuers are after them!
Series have nice action scenes interesting characters with different goals and some interesting takes on how to deal with the pursuers.

Sword of the Stranger - this is a movie. It is not very strong in character development but if you liked Samurai Champloo, I'm sure you'll love this one for it has awesome sword fights.

Toaru Majutsu no Index - interesting series where main theme is magic VS science, which one is better? Some cool characters and battles with unique powers. Some characters create lighting, some use teleportation, others use fire and so on.

Hope some of these will be to your liking.

Last edited by kitten320; 2013-01-06 at 21:18.
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 23:02   Link #9
Ibycus

Thanks for the reply Kitten! Some of these sound really interesting like, baccano!, ga-rei-zero, and Toaru Majutsu no index. I'm surprised I've never heard of Sword of the Stranger because that looks great too. You also reminded me of Monster, which I had seen before but seem to have forgotton.
Old 2013-01-08, 13:25   Link #10
kitten320

It is surprising since movie is quiet popular. If you like sword action, I really recommend it.

And your welcome
Old 2013-01-09, 01:12   Link #11
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

If you liked the Battle Angel Manga then you have to check out Blade of the Immortal, the manga, not the anime.