Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2012-05-19, 07:24   Link #161
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
So she said she was "impacted hugely"...and she said that wants people to support "NowMari" (rather than, I suppose, "PastMari").

What's there to disagree with?
No, she's saying she'd rather be remembered by (and talk about) her work after Macross. The part inside the parenthesis, I have no problem with, it's her life. I just have no interest in joining her. But, sadly, and I'm repeating myself, you don't get to choose what you're remembered for. If you're remembered at all.

She also said:
Quote:
I didn't build my career based on Macross. I'm ALL ABOUT MUSIC.
And that's as big a fallacy as I've ever seen.
Forgive me for being blunt, but when you think of her, do you picture her "twenty fucking albums" post-SDFM, or Minmay?

I rest my case.

Also, she seems to act harshly towards fans, depending on her mood, and that's a big no-no with me, as well. Will Smith backhanding a stupid reporter that tried to kiss him on the lips is one thing; treating your fans badly, no matter what they like you for, is quite another.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 07:55   Link #162
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
No, she's saying she'd rather be remembered by (and talk about) her work after Macross. The part inside the parenthesis, I have no problem with, it's her life. I just have no interest in joining her. But, sadly, and I'm repeating myself, you don't get to choose what you're remembered for. If you're remembered at all.
True...but you can't blame someone for trying.

Quote:
She also said:

And that's as big a fallacy as I've ever seen.
Forgive me for being blunt, but when you think of her, do you picture her "twenty fucking albums" post-SDFM, or Minmay?

I rest my case.
Before I started going to her concerts or after? Before, yes, definitely...afterwards, well, it varies.

But then, I'm a huge Macross nerd. I have met people at her shows how have never seen or heard of Macross (admittedly, I doubt they're in the majority of her fans).

Quote:
Also, she seems to act harshly towards fans, depending on her mood, and that's a big no-no with me, as well. Will Smith backhanding a stupid reporter that tried to kiss him on the lips is one thing; treating your fans badly, no matter what they like you for, is quite another.
I agree with you there...although I've gotta say that every time I'v seen her in person, she's pretty polite and gracious. The flare-ups seem to be an online thing (not that that excuses them...it doesn't).

So yeah...I wish she'd...how to say it...somehow make her peace with Minmay and make it stick. That said, I do find her frustration comprehensible. And some of her "fans" have, over the years, been astonishingly rude to her for NOT being Minmay. Again, it doesn't EXCUSE anything, but I think it helps create a context for the outbursts.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:31   Link #163
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Perhaps a little off-topic - not to mention that it was filmed as a spoof and with full cooperation of the actor in question...

But might I suggest googling "Bridget Jones Interviews Colin Firth" for an idea of what the past 30 years might have felt like to Mari?

-----

Personally, I think I can understand both sides. But since I don't know the particulars of what has actually happened, it's not something I can really comment on...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 14:01   Link #164
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

^
Don't worry. Though Mari came before my time, I followed her music outside of Macross. But even I don't have all the facts behind her troubles. Still, she should be thinking about others. Less this be like Charlie Sheen...
Old 2012-05-19, 22:43   Link #165
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

^LMK please read these tropes: Type Casting and I Am Not Spock to get a better idea of what she is going through and why she feels that way.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 06:38   Link #166
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

^
When I referred to that, I was meaning towards the history behind her outbursts. Since she was before my time, I don't really have information as to whether or not this has happened before. And my reference to Charlie was meaning towards she isn't the first person whose gotten typecasted. So I really think she should think about others less be like her character of Minmei and think only of herself.

But thank you anyway.
Old 2012-07-30, 17:54   Link #167
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
^
When I referred to that, I was meaning towards the history behind her outbursts. Since she was before my time, I don't really have information as to whether or not this has happened before. And my reference to Charlie was meaning towards she isn't the first person whose gotten typecasted. So I really think she should think about others less be like her character of Minmei and think only of herself.

But thank you anyway.
As my good friend Save once said...

"Who cares? Aya Endo."
Old 2013-12-04, 13:02   Link #168
sa547
*Author

It wasn't until about 3 days that I finally found out what happened and why she put up that announcement on her official blog:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...tus-from-music
http://otanews.livedoor.biz/archives/51969510.html

I was like, "WHAT?"
Old 2013-12-04, 13:25   Link #169
Frontier

Well, at least she'll still be working as a seiyuu .
Old 2013-12-04, 16:50   Link #170
magnuskn

Eh, I wonder why. She had been steadily gaining in singing talent after the TV series and rankas songs during the movies actually were a bit better than the ones for Sheryl.
Old 2013-12-04, 18:40   Link #171
Syaokura

I'm not a super huge fan of Nakajima or anything, but wow... that was really surprising.
Syaokura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 00:49   Link #172
isamu99

I didn't even know she was a singer. I had always thought she was only a VA. Her songs in MF were OK but nothing to write home about. When the studio decided to bring in Maaya Sakamoto to sing the OP for MF that should tell you right there singing isn't Nakajima's strong point. I don't understand why they didn't simply hire Sakamoto-san to VA Ranka.
isamu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 08:21   Link #173
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu99 View Post
I didn't even know she was a singer. I had always thought she was only a VA. Her songs in MF were OK but nothing to write home about. When the studio decided to bring in Maaya Sakamoto to sing the OP for MF that should tell you right there singing isn't Nakajima's strong point. I don't understand why they didn't simply hire Sakamoto-san to VA Ranka.
Because the whole point was to have a new, fresh-faced talent on the show?
I'm surprised, as well. Not that I'm a huge fan or anything, but I do not dislike her, honestly. Well, hope she feels better about it, later.

Old 2013-12-05, 12:32   Link #174
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

You guys are taking this way too seriously. Its not like something drastic happened to her well-being.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 20:00   Link #175
wisteria233

I wonder if this has something to do with her vocaloid?

Or maybe she just decided that she needed to focus more on her VA career, I mean she's still being typecasted in roles for Loli characters, maybe she's trying to escape that. She's doing okay so far, but its not as if her career blew up like Maaya Sakamoto's did.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 14:07   Link #176
darkplataform

Nah, most probably she just got a boyfriend
Old 2013-12-06, 14:47   Link #177
Tak

Oh no.

Broken bird syndrome, here goes.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2013-12-06, 16:18   Link #178
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Another one? Within the same franchise? Gawd...

Old 2013-12-06, 22:22   Link #179
John117xCortana

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
I wonder if this has something to do with her vocaloid?

Or maybe she just decided that she needed to focus more on her VA career, I mean she's still being typecasted in roles for Loli characters, maybe she's trying to escape that. She's doing okay so far, but its not as if her career blew up like Maaya Sakamoto's did.
What do you mean? Maaya's isn't doing well?
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 23:41   Link #180
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
What do you mean? Maaya's isn't doing well?
Yeah, well is in blew up well.

- Tak