AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-06-20, 19:41   Link #1
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Steam Summer Sale - 2014 Edition

Couldn't find the last topic, but did stumble across the 2012 version... Figured I'd make a new one.

Far Cry 3 on sale for 75% off today. Awesome deal. Might have to pick that up, freeing up space on my HDD by getting rid of Far Cry 2, which was really no where near as good as I'd hoped.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-20, 20:34   Link #2
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I don't quite get what the teams competition thing is about, but it seems horribly biased for the Purple team.
Old 2014-06-21, 17:51   Link #3
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I don't quite get what the teams competition thing is about, but it seems horribly biased for the Purple team.
Basically, Steam users are split into five teams, and during the days of the Steam sale, they have a chance to score points for their teams by crafting badges (which is done by collecting trading cards), with more points being offered by crafting a badge based on the Summer Sale (with people getting cards for that by either crafting badges, spending $10 on games during the sale, or, once they reach a certain level, voting three times for the which group of games should be on sale next).

The competition last for 24 hours, with everyone who provided a point during the day receiving a Summer Sale 2014 card, those who scored points for that day's winning team getting two cards, and thirty random people who scored pointed for the winning team that day receiving three games from their wish list.
Old 2014-06-21, 19:03   Link #4
Xacual

About the competition thing. I heard a rumor that it's set up so that every team will "win" two times during the event. Considering how each day so far one team has pulled way ahead of the others, I'm starting to believe it.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-21, 21:17   Link #5
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
About the competition thing. I heard a rumor that it's set up so that every team will "win" two times during the event. Considering how each day so far one team has pulled way ahead of the others, I'm starting to believe it.
Watching over the past few days that's the assumption I came to. I'm pretty sure there isn't enough team spirit for these groups to suddenly go from being dead last one day to winning the next. Probably just being used to get people to feel like they are invested and buy even more games .
Old 2014-06-25, 20:10   Link #6
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Bioshock Infinite is 75% off right now, FYI, as is Company of Heroes 2.

FF XIV is 50% off.

Metro: Complete Edition is 66% off, I think.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 17:15   Link #7
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I picked up Pac-Man Museum for $5, Ikaruga for $5, Gone Home for $3. I have been meaning to get those when the next Steam sale occurred (that being this current one). For a big budget AAA game, I picked up Far Cry 3 for $7.49.

I learned not to buy a bunch of shit at Steam sales because I've bought so much in past Steam sales and I won't play or play through so many of the games I've bought. But Far Cry 3 for $7.49...couldn't pass that one up. That is a game I might end up playing. There are other good big budget games I'd like because of great prices, but nah, I won't end up playing so much of this stuff.
Old 2014-06-26, 17:28   Link #8
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah I haven't done much with this steam sale so far. Pretty much just Bioshock Infinite since it was down to $7.50. Didn't bother with the DLC, if I enjoy it then I'll just wait for the winter sale. Not always big on shooters, but it's gotten enough praise that it seemed worth playing.

Agree that I've learned enough not to go stupid when it comes to these. If there is a game I know I'll go and play then I'll get it. Otherwise if it's just a game I might like to play...I'll sit on that. Game list has too many of those games that I haven't gotten around to .
Old 2014-06-26, 22:50   Link #9
kirikirito334

Nothing's pretty good in the sale this time except BioShock I was actually disappointed at it.
kirikirito334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 22:56   Link #10
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

*just bought Bioshock Triple Pack and Far Cry Blood Dragon*

Both for just $14, such a steal

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 02:14   Link #11
Saravis4

I finally bought Dragon Age Ultimate Edition and Borderlands 2 GOTY 17.50.

Also, since it somewhat relates, Smudged Cats are giving away free steam keys of their game; Adventure's of Shuggy.
I found it through Dealnews so I'm not sure of the Direct Link, but this is the link from their site;
The Adventures of Shuggy for Windows
Old 2014-06-27, 11:42   Link #12
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

I highly recommend picking up State of Decay if you like zombie games. I've been playing it for 2 days straight now haha.

There are some pretty good steals right now IMO, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Rome 2, Dishonored, Civ 5, and Watch Dogs is 20% off now on flash sale (20 min left though).

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 12:54   Link #13
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Civ5 full edition is a steal. I already got all of them from previous sale, though.

Just got Age of Wonders 3, it's a pretty good game for that price. Actually, it's a pretty good game at original price, too.
Old 2014-06-27, 13:30   Link #14
VDZ

Quote:
A group of people tried to rig it such that everybody wins. Valve didn't like it as it took the competition out of the competition (and this is a competition you win by throwing money at it) so they disrupted the group's strategy by offering prizes for second place and third place. PC Gamer wrote an extensive article on it.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 19:14   Link #15
Xacual

The number of people that were trying to rig it was nowhere near enough to have any effect. Valve is just passing the blame off, hell it might have been one of them that made the thread on Reddit.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2014-06-28, 22:43   Link #16
VDZ

Quote:
The number of people that were trying to rig it was nowhere near enough to have any effect. Valve is just passing the blame off, hell it might have been one of them that made the thread on Reddit.
Valve didn't say anything, they just silently changed the rules. That's not exactly blaming anyone. If you think Valve found that the attempt was futile, then they just decided to give extra prizes for the hell of it. Either way, you can't exactly blame Valve - regardless of whether the threat was real or not, handing out free stuff is hardly a solution you can complain about.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 23:50   Link #17
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
Valve didn't say anything, they just silently changed the rules. That's not exactly blaming anyone. If you think Valve found that the attempt was futile, then they just decided to give extra prizes for the hell of it. Either way, you can't exactly blame Valve - regardless of whether the threat was real or not, handing out free stuff is hardly a solution you can complain about.
Considering they aren't giving out free stuff at all and make thousands off all the card buying and trading going on, yeah I don't think it's a big deal. All this contest did was whip certain groups of users into a frenzy on the marketplace even more than usual.

Old 2014-06-29, 11:43   Link #18
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I picked up The Stanley Parable, Magicka, Borderlands 2 Skullgirls and Tomb Raider: Underworld from this sale, as well as leveled up my Summer 2014 badge twice. All in all, a good sale

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2014-06-29 at 14:23.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 16:52   Link #19
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

FYI, today is the last day of the sale, so pick up whatever you forgot because tomorrow it is over!

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 17:04   Link #20
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Sssshhh!! My brother already sold half of his house to buy anything with a "-%" mark on from Steam. Please don't remind him that today is last day, he may move to bathroom next