Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-03, 07:11   Link #1
ClassicDrogn
Raving Mechafreak

Talking Anime... on CRACK!

(edited for language)

Since I don't recognise most of the titles on Animesuki, I'm fishing for suggestions, obviously. So, here's a list of things I've seen and what I thought of them.

First off, (and true to the post title) I like the wierd stuff:
Excel Saga
Puni Puni Poemi
FLCL
Amazing Nurse Nanako
Moldiver
Shinesman
Real Bout High School
Agent Aika (and I wish there were less pantyshots to distract from the plot)
Read Or Die OVA
Maps

Second, I am a raving mecha fanatic. I draw, scratchbuild, and write about mecha. I hope to be reincarnated as a Cybertronian, and have performed voodoo rituals to that end. I dream of variable fighters flying in formation with me. Mecha shows are the backbone of my list:
Transformers G1
King of Braves Gao Gai Gar
Macross/Plus/7/Zero (NOT Southern Cross or espescially MOSPEADA, or that thing Macek made out of their violated corpses)
Megazone 23 I/II/III
Bubblegum Crisis (the real one)
Terrestrial Defence Force Dai-Guard (Like Evangelion without Anno-baka! Kickass!)
Nadesico TV
Tekkaman
VanDread

Finally, I like 'splosions... big, big 'splosions!
DBZ *movies* only (regular series drags too much)
Tenchi OVA
Project A-Ko series
Legend of Condor Hero (okay, so it doesn't have so many actual explosions, but it's like I thgouht Ranma would be without the stupidity and abusive relationships)
Iria: Zeiram the animation
Dirty Pair
Bastard!! (enough explosions and heavy metal references can indeed make up for being a high fantasy setting, Virginia) (I particularly fear the day some fanfic writer combines this with the previous one or two...)
E's Otherwise
Soultaker
Hellsing
Scryed
Trigun

Not Quite Favorites:
Macross DYRL/II (don't rag on Macross II, it had pretty girls, pretty machines, and pretty explosions, and for that I can accept a stock 'War is Hell' plot if it's not too gritty about it)
ADPolice Files (the real one)
Platinumhugen Ordian (despite the mecha, I should dislike it for being too gritty and peacenik preachy... but I don't, it's just not a favorite)
Slayers and sequels (if only it was a science fiction setting instead of high fantasy... even a magic-based 'futuristic' setting)
Violinist of Hameln TV (ditto - though I want a Pheonix sky-battleship, and Slur battle mecha are cool too, so it's part way there)

The Brown Acid: shows I thought I would like but did not (and why):
Evengelion (Anno-baka)
Ebichu (Anno-baka)
Popotan (too normal)
Bubblegum Crash (discontinuitous feel from first series, too preachy ending)
Tokyo 2040, again espescially the ending (above and beyond hating it for pretending to be BGC) (same as Crash)
Dragon Ball/Z (if it was edited to about 1/5 the length, it would probably be really good)
Crest of the Stars (drags worse than Drag-On Ball)
Texholnolyse (ditto plus Anno-baka-worthy mindfuck when it does do anything)
Any and all Gundam (too dark, when it's not dragging) G was a special dissapointment since I was told it was goofy instead of dark
Escaflowne movie (not enough time for mecha when they had to put the plot in)
Five Star Stories movie (ditto)
Ghost In The SHell (too compressed)
Gowcaiser OVA (It's a fighting game anime. 'Nuff said)
Cowboy Bebop TV/movie (couldn't tell ya, it just rubbed me the wrong way)
Ranma 1/2 (too stupid, and I don't find abusive relationships funny. Some of the fanfic is good, but only when it breaks sharply away from the actual anime and manga)
Great Teacher Onizuka (has its moments, but it honestly feels like the subplot in an action show, not something to carry a show on its own. Most 'schoolkids' anime is even worse about that)
Spiral (I don't much dig Mystery as a genre)
Castle In The Sky Laputa ('powers Man was not meant to wield' endings always piss me off)

Shows I know of but have not seen, and would particularly like to know about:
(Some are licensed, but that just means I'd get them from the store or rent instead of DLing)
Rahxephon
Gear Fighter Dendoh
Escaflowne TV? OVA? ??? (More mecha action than the movie, yah?)
Magic Knights Rayearth/MKR2
Read Or Die TV
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Naruto
Planetes
MD Geist
Black Magic M66
Detonator Orgun
Orguss/Orguss 2
Giant Robo
Utena/movie (I've heard it's similarly mindtrippy to Anno-baka's work, is so?)

Finally, does anyone know where to find Japan-only Transformers or more of the "Brave ______" shows? There are six or seven Braves in all, and about as many TF shows - 2010, Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, and Zone, as I recall, before the Braves took over up to the the beast era when they were broguht to the US again. Anything beasty I don't care about, and Car Robot came to the US as RiD, then Armada went there, and the new series is going to be released here as Energon, so they don't matter for finding fansubs (they're licenced shows, duh) but the earlier ones should be fair game. Actually, I would expect the Brave series might be a big hit, based on what I hear people say about GGG online, aand what I think of it.
Old 2004-01-03, 07:43   Link #2
MuGeN_BoY
<--- Lolita Complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicDrogn
(edited for language)

Shows I know of but have not seen, and would particularly like to know about:
(Some are licensed, but that just means I'd get them from the store or rent instead of DLing)
Rahxephon
Gear Fighter Dendoh
Magic Knights Rayearth/MKR2
Read Or Die TV
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Naruto
Planetes
MD Geist
Black Magic M66
Detonator Orgun
Orguss/Orguss 2
Giant Robo
Utena/movie (I've heard it's similarly mindtrippy to Anno-baka's work, is so?)

Rahxephon
Read Or Die TV
Naruto

Those i suggest you get..... escaflowne is a classic though the art may be a bit weird at first but once you get into the story and drama you won;t care for it..
Old 2004-01-03, 12:32   Link #3
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

omg man, your "hate list" lol. Has some great anime on there. ohh well. Anyways I can tell you about gits:sac since its my favorite anime. Its fuckin great man! no seriously. One of the best looking and coolest animes. Not really tooo much action going on though. You would think though being there a police agency in a way. But honestly alot of stuff is somewhat slow, investigative, there talking alot trying to figure stuff out about the "laughing man" in alot episodes. But it is indeed one very very good anime.

The second season started on the first and by what i saw (ep 1 and 2 raw). Its going to be a very good season 2. The first episode was about a raid much like the first season and the second episode was about some guy and a girl who looks like the major. Don't really know much past that since i couldn't understand it. Defintly though check out the first season cause its godly.
Old 2004-01-03, 19:18   Link #4
ClassicDrogn
Raving Mechafreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto03
omg man, your "hate list" lol.
Well, there's no point to a 'hate list' (though that's putting it a bit strong for everything except Eva, which I bought the box set of sight unseen and then took great pleasure in putting each disc in the microwave and watching them sparkle - most therapeutic) - a 'hate list' that's just a bunch of things anyone can see sucks ass. It's only useful if it's stuff that would normally fall into the range I'd expect to like, but did not, so I intentionally picked mostly things that were good shows BUT...

An interesting bit of trivia I just confirmed looking at old emails is that I know the girlfriend of the guy who drew the manga that the Legend of Condor Heros anime is basing its character designs on - she sent me scans of a few panels while explaining where her character in a PBeM game was drawn from. Picture a young Koko with a tech fixation (as in, takes apart home electronics and builds weird contraptions) who's a mecha simulator pilot after school and on weekends. Wiggy.

- CD
Old 2004-01-04, 17:11   Link #5
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

R.O.D. Tv, but...is it licensed?
Old 2004-01-04, 17:51   Link #6
tsuki_desu
Hidden in the darkness...

Kodomo No Omocha and Pita Ten!
Old 2004-01-04, 18:01   Link #7
corp20
Internet God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk
R.O.D. Tv, but...is it licensed?
Yes it is. There is still fansub groups that still sub it though.
So you are looking for anime that is one crack? If so watch Narutaru. It disturbed the hell of of me. Watch it....... don't stop at the first 3 eps either.
Old 2004-01-04, 18:10   Link #8
aahhsin

uhh... u like crazy wierd stuff huh...

Go for Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu, that's crazier and more rediculous then anything out there.
Closed Thread