AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2009-01-14, 00:58   Link #481
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I'm kinda curious myself.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 12:59   Link #482
everkam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
What and which is this Macross continued you are referring to?
I mean continued after Frontier
everkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 13:05   Link #483
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Well, there's the movie. Dunno about a continuation proper, tho.

Old 2009-01-14, 13:12   Link #484
everkam

Thanks =) will go forward
everkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 13:13   Link #485
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Well, there's the movie. Dunno about a continuation proper, tho.
That'd be too sweet. Realistically speaking, however, we only know about the movie at this moment.
Old 2009-01-14, 14:09   Link #486
March

The Macross Frontier movie is the only new Macross production on the radar.

I know the popularity of Macross Frontier has created a resurgence of interest in Macross, but the Macross franchise is not known for producing a large amount of product on a continuing basis. The franchise is 25 years old and has only produced three television series in that time. This is not to say that more Macross products/productions aren't forthcoming (such as music, videos, toys, games, OVAs or films) but another Macross television series seems very unlikely in the near future.
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-12, 04:42   Link #487
CZEN2

what is the deal with the rights to macross in the U.S. ? why can we not get DYRL or Macross Frontier i think if they brought it over it would do really well
CZEN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-12, 05:00   Link #488
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Discussion on that is found here: Macross Legalities
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 19:30   Link #489
bishopcruz

Here's one, what exactly is canon from the original SDF Macross and DYRL?

In the history segments of Macross F, they always show scenes from DYRL, many of which are directly contradictory to what happened in the original series (Roy on the Zentradi ship for example). There is also the idea of the Meltradi, and the song 'Ai Oboiteimasuka' that has shown up throughout the series.

Macross 7 had some of this as well, with Exedore looking like he did in the movie.

So how does this all work?

also is there a good Storyline/Canon guide outside of the compendium? It's good for what it is, but lacks detail.
bishopcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 19:35   Link #490
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopcruz View Post
Here's one, what exactly is canon from the original SDF Macross and DYRL?

In the history segments of Macross F, they always show scenes from DYRL, many of which are directly contradictory to what happened in the original series (Roy on the Zentradi ship for example). There is also the idea of the Meltradi, and the song 'Ai Oboiteimasuka' that has shown up throughout the series.

Macross 7 had some of this as well, with Exedore looking like he did in the movie.

So how does this all work?

also is there a good Storyline/Canon guide outside of the compendium? It's good for what it is, but lacks detail.
Lets just say whatever happened in DYRL is what all macross canon follow, which sucks for us SDF fans because DYRL is not that good.....
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 19:47   Link #491
bishopcruz

So the whole idea that I have read that DYRL was simply a movie retelling of Space War 1 was a horrible horrible lie?

I think I may cry now.
Old 2009-03-17, 19:56   Link #492
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
So the whole idea that I have read that DYRL was simply a movie retelling of Space War 1 was a horrible horrible lie?

I think I may cry now.
Pretty much they chose to use DYRL for most of the canon, or at least as how I understand it whatever is in DYRL overrides SDF.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 20:15   Link #493
magnuskn

You donīt say. I wonder what Beto has to say about this? ^^ ( He should know what I am talking about. )
Old 2009-03-17, 20:23   Link #494
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
You donīt say. I wonder what Beto has to say about this? ^^ ( He should know what I am talking about. )
Be sure to add random Evangelion references while in a discussion!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 20:48   Link #495
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

People, people, Macross 7 explicitly references Do You Remember Love as a fictional movie inside the universe, a la the "Bird Man" episode in Macross Frontier. Some official references to the movie also regard it as such. Sure, they have taken most of the visual and design references for the later media products from the widely successful theatrical movie, but that does not, in any way, make it the official chronology.
Also, I can't search for it right now, but I seem to remember reading an interview with The Hory Froating Head himself stating this much.

Oh, and please... no random End of Evangelion references. I'm still recuperating from the last batch...

Old 2009-03-17, 21:00   Link #496
bishopcruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
People, people, Macross 7 explicitly references Do You Remember Love as a fictional movie inside the universe, a la the "Bird Man" episode in Macross Frontier. Some official references to the movie also regard it as such. Sure, they have taken most of the visual and design references for the later media products from the widely successful theatrical movie, but that does not, in any way, make it the official chronology.
Also, I can't search for it right now, but I seem to remember reading an interview with The Hory Froating Head himself stating this much.

Oh, and please... no random End of Evangelion references. I'm still recuperating from the last batch...
Ok, I feel better, but it still doesn't quite seem to fit. IIRC, SDFM did not differentiate between Meltrandi and Zentradi, but later series do. "Ai Oboeteimasuka" never appeared in the original series, but is around in the universe. Also, if the design references were taken from the film, the Melt ships are now different, and Boddle Zer is now a giant biocomputer-thing.

Or is it that no completely canonical version of Space War 1 actually exists?
Old 2009-03-17, 22:08   Link #497
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Or is it that no completely canonical version of Space War 1 actually exists?
That is correct. Dyrl was an attempt by the producers to revise some of the things in SDF they thought perhaps needed improvement.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 07:19   Link #498
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

That's pretty much it. Then, they took most of the visual and design decisions they'd made for the movie and went with it for the later series. Surely, no Max macronization in Macross 7, eh?

As for the song's popularity, really... what's the name of that Titanic song, again?

Old 2009-03-18, 07:59   Link #499
bishopcruz

Kinda makes my head hurt, but I guess that;s how it goes, as I said some of the visual changes actually mess with things a lot. As for the song, I think I'll just personally retcon it to one of Minmay's final songs before she, Hikaru and Misa got sucked into a black hole, that gained new found popularity in the 2030's when the movie came out.

Thought of another Q though:

What language is officially spoken in the UNS/NUNS? DYRL makes it pretty clear that it's English, does that hold for everything else?
Old 2009-03-18, 10:42   Link #500
magnuskn

Well, the question raises itself, if they took basically all their visual cues from DYRL, and a lot of storyline cues ( like that Minmay, Roy and Kaifun were also abducted by the Zentraedi ).... where does that leave the TV series?

This kind of lack of clarity stokes my fear that Kawamori will give Alto to Ranka in the movie and declare that the "official" continuity.

Tags
q&a