AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-10-06, 11:28   Link #21
Sumeragi
Banned

I think we need a paradigm change: There is no truly "unique" idea. It's about bringing regular ideas to life that makes things seem unique.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 11:30   Link #22
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeReality View Post
What I mean is that I want to write about something that probably won't happen to me in real life - you could say it's a way of escapism. The problem is that I have trouble imagining how people would behave when put into those situations.
Then ask yourself, what would you do?

Always start with yourself, then work out possibilities that you could have done otherwise. If you are a corporate slave working adult it makes it easier to visualise.

Read psychology textbooks if you want to know more about human behaviour. It helps, but still, theory is theory; you have to seek practicality. Reading online news' commentary sections helps alot too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I think we need a paradigm change: There is no truly "unique" idea. It's about bringing regular ideas to life that makes things seem unique.
What she said. For example, if you watch Ro-Kyu-Bu's main female character - *IS SHOT*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 11:40   Link #23
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

Quote:
I never understood why people cared so much for originality of plot and theme. There are only a few general ideas that are interesting. It's the same with philosophies and religions - in the end most of them are saying the same thing, just under different circumstances. It is the unique relationship between a particular circumstance and familiar plots and characters that creates a fresh story. This is why fanfiction, which puts unoriginal characters into original circumstances, is so popular.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 11:47   Link #24
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I never understood why people cared so much for originality of plot and theme. There are only a few general ideas that are interesting. It's the same with philosophies and religions - in the end most of them are saying the same thing, just under different circumstances. It is the unique relationship between a particular circumstance and familiar plots and characters that creates a fresh story. This is why fanfiction, which puts unoriginal characters into original circumstances, is so popular.
All hail the light of purity shining out of the bums of the stoic!

Actually it is just another form of OCD. Don't have to worry about these people.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 11:53   Link #25
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
All hail the light of purity shining out of the bums of the stoic!

Actually it is just another form of OCD. Don't have to worry about these people.
Life is a form of OCD; i.e. "here's a situation, time to apply worldview". And which people do you refer to, the complainers?
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 17:03   Link #26
Lightning_Wing

I find this to be helpful sometimes.
Old 2013-10-06, 18:04   Link #27
willx
Nyaaan~~

Here's a list of "bad ideas" that may actually be good:

1) Heart Warming Stories Every Day! -- Shows/stories are all "real" and negative and bloody nowadays - go the other direction!

An episodic series where every "episode" ends in a heart-warming manner. Series starts with a pompous arrogant news anchor that gets into trouble because of his attitude. He gets demoted to doing only "fluff" human interest stories. His cynical stoic attitude slowly starts to change as he meets "everyday heroes" every day!

2) Reverse "Independence Day" -- Aliens, monsters, nazis from space .. there's been too many invasions, how about:

A superior alien race takes an interest in mankind after our most recent <insert> scientific/technological development. They're here to elevate us to a new level of civilization/enlightenment. Think about the "transition period" before Star Trek starts. The twist? The aliens are actually good. No evil intentions. Humans remain paranoid, civil unrest, religious chaos, all kinds of good plotty things ensue!

3) My Best Friend is a Hero! -- Shows are always about the "chosen one" .. what about his sidekick?

A story from the perspective of an ordinary person .. who one day wakes up to find that his childhood friend has super powers! While trying to go about his normal day, his friend drags him through life-or-death situations .. that he can't do anything about! The trials and tribulations of a "normal" who's best friend is a hero!
Old 2013-10-06, 18:58   Link #28
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Annoyingly, I agree with you. -_-

The art of storytelling is a mature art. It's as old as mankind itself. Ever since people could speak they've been telling stories to each other. Truly original stories don't really exist anymore, it's all about your spin on things.

For instance, take Person of Interest. It takes a common dystopian theme - pervasive surveillance by Big Brother - and twists that around: The surveillance is done by a computer, which only alerts to persons of interest, be they victim or perpetrator.

The Blacklist is another series that's not truly unique, but it gives a different spin to things, which makes it so enjoyable to watch. (That, and Reddington is such a classy, masterful troll, able to elicit both repulsion and admiration. Props to James Spader.)

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 19:36   Link #29
Kerspunkle

I believe that the way a writer comes up with ideas is sort of specific to that writer, so I don't really think I can help you with that. Well, there's a ton of good advice in this topic already.

I don't think that writing a character that fits a trope is really that big of a problem. Every writer is going to have a character that fits some trope or other. Just remember that there should be many facets to your character's personality. Every experience shapes a person, and the same goes for characters.

This might help you. In a class I was given a questionnaire that asked things like "What is your most memorable childhood experience?" and "What are your hobbies?" Ask yourself questions and think of how you would respond. Then ask the same questions but answer as your character. You could take a personality quiz and try to answer it as your character. Even if you don't know about your character, doing an exercise like that might help you come up with aspects of your character.
Kerspunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 20:19   Link #30
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Remember this: Never just to look only in one side. Analyse an event in many perspectives could give you ashtonishing result.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 20:51   Link #31
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Another approach that I do is to really try and get in the head of my characters, albeit this is because for the most part my writing tends to be character-focused. This is probably due to the various TV shows I've watched which have been character rather than plot-focused.

I'm of the opinion that once you truly understand your characters, the story will follow.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote