AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-08-29, 22:43   Link #1
Kushi

Different stages of life

Animes these days go through the story without the characters becoming any different at all. Then at the end they’ll usually have a short epilogue of them grown up and different. What I’m looking for is anime that spends time exploring that growth and for them to be in a different stage of life. I want these stages of life to be in a completely different perspective for us and the main character.

What I’m not looking for –

Shounen time skips – Most shounen animes with time skips is a just convenient way for the director to not have to show the main character training. They come back a little bigger and stronger, but there’s no actual change that occurred.

Spoiler for Examples of animes with what I’m looking for:
Kushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 23:51   Link #2
jedinat

Itazura na Kiss - follows the characters from high school into college/professional training... high school "romance" into marriage... It's not exactly realistic about it all (very shoujo) but it's not bad and keeps going past where these stories usually end.

Have you watched Clannad and Clannad After Story?
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 01:25   Link #3
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Itazura na Kiss - follows the characters from high school into college/professional training... high school "romance" into marriage... It's not exactly realistic about it all (very shoujo) but it's not bad and keeps going past where these stories usually end.

Have you watched Clannad and Clannad After Story?
He actually watched both Clannad series, even his avatar comes from.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 06:26   Link #4
Tenzen12

Bunny and Drop

I guess Space opere towards the Terra might also works as it's not realy classic shonen
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 08:02   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

It depends a bit on how many "stages" you want, but both Planetes and Nodame Cantabile, if you include the sequels, follow characters from late teens into early adulthood.

Cross Game tells the story of a pair of baseball-loving childhood friends from around age ten through the end of high school.

Hyouge Mono follows a vassal of of Oba Nobunaga as he navigates his way through the conflicts of the Sengoku Period and advances to positions of greater power and influence.

Nijuu Mensou no Musume covers a few years in the life of a young heiress. When the show opens she is kidnapped from her uncle and aunt's home by a mysterious master thief, Nijuu Mensou or "Twenty Faces." She joins his band but events intervene to make the next couple years of her life rather complicated ones.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 08:07   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Maison Ikkoku could serve.

Godai starts as ronin trying to get into college. The series the follows him through college and eventually finding a job and getting married.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-31, 12:32   Link #7
kitten320

If you don't mind sport anime, how about Major?
He starts as a 5 five year old and gradually grows into professional baseball player with wife and kids.

I'm not fully done with all seasons yet but he 100% has kids in last OVA.

Bakuman - characters start as school students end up as professional manga artists years later as adults.

Seirei no Moribito
- a bit different. even though not a massive time passes like years, main character the prince goes through big development and learns to live as a commoner.
Old 2013-09-01, 21:40   Link #8
king12354

Gungrave is a nice gripping story about a couple of main characters and their life from being teenage delinquents to legitimate mobsters. There's a little bit of fantasy involved but the character development really made the show great.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 17:40   Link #9
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I heavily recommend the following films:
Millennium Actress
The Wolf Children
5 Centimetres Per Second.

Last edited by Haak; 2013-09-02 at 17:53.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote