AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer girls with or without make-up?
With 26 18.31%
Without 116 81.69%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-01-28, 20:15   Link #81
Ryu-kun
Dragon - Igniton
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Ryu-kun
Without make up because girls are just natural like that :P

Click siggy to join Toradora club~
Ryu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 20:31   Link #82
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

I'm not sure how I feel about the word "natural" in this context, now that I think about it. It's not like make-up turns me into a cyborg. I mean, technically, running around nude is pretty "natural", but I like my pretty closes all the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I love the things you post, Nogi.
Aw, thanks, that makes me happy! xD
Old 2011-01-28, 20:48   Link #83
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The image that girls chase--the shoes, the clothes, the makeup, the jewelry--it's a big business, makes billions of dollars a year around the world, and is almost wholly promoted, developed and perpetuated by dudes.
Yeah, because all the women in the cosmetics and fashion industries who sell and promote these products are just unthinking puppets of an evil male conspiracy. And all the women who buy into the myths are doing it solely to satisfy "the male gaze", because they're not made to feel any peer pressure from other women whatsoever...

Of course men are far from blameless here. We're all hypocrites to some extent whatever our good intentions. But let's not pretend women are helpless victims with no responsibility for their own lives.
Old 2011-01-28, 22:05   Link #84
Strygwyr
Attention Queen killer.
*IT Support

No make up. Natural beauty should not be hidden. Seeing a girl with too much makeup makes me uneasy.
Old 2011-01-28, 22:22   Link #85
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Hence the reason why I don't post here. Didn't bother.

Now if you excuse me, I am going to dig a spiderhole and put a couple of bulletproof vests over it, while Myst goes on an all out rampage.
*hides the smoking gun*
I finished before you got suited up.
Rage? What rage? *whistles*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
On that note, I doubt that this was made to be sexist. I highly doubt that it was Hera's intention. It was merely a poll to collect opinions, and every post has held honest beliefs with no slandering of anyone, until you arrived. This may be out of line for me, but do not instantly assume that things are always a battle of sexes, race, or anything else without trying to imagine the motive behind them. Is every survey about living conditions in the slums an insult to the economically challenged? No; it is an assessment of how different living conditions can be when you head 2 blocks away from your home. With no foul intent meant, you should not create it unless you are completely prepared to deal with the negative consequences that come with it. Pull your head out from wherever you keep it and try and look at things from another perspective.
Of course it wasn't made to be sexist, if there were any issues with the thread, Admins would have gone trigger happy and closed it by now.
Despite aiming this for guys Vexx, it'd be nice to have a poll on how the female members here feel as well, don't you think?
Guys talk about their preferences (hai, make up, no, natural)
Females discuss why they feel the need to wear or not wear make up.

Goodness knows for the majority of the youth who use this website, self confidence issues are prevalent and views on how today's media affects us all could be discussed.
Let's just say, I saw potential for this thread more than it being a neg rep field because guys can't say 'i like women without make up'. xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I got the feeling that post was supposed to be sarcastic and shouldn't be taken too seriously at all.
You my dear are getting a cookie.
If asking the OP to don up in makeup and post a pic on this website as a result of being 'sexist' is 'serious', then I'd hate to know what the concept of funny or amusing is with half of ya here.

Syn's covered a few main points about the multi-billion industry here, I don't need to repeat.
Guys who say they prefer 'no make-up', not calling you liars, but trust me, in your lifetime the majority of girls and women you've met are wearing make up.

As I said, the best application is the one where you lot think she has none.
Even if it's just the sole use of mascara to bring out the colour of her pupils, or just a blusher to make her cheeks have a rosy glow, or just even lip gloss to add a certain sparkle and fragrance, it's all cosmetics.
Men have this too (aftershave (hiding your nautral body odour?), body lotion (because you think dry skin is better?)
- It's not necessarily about 'hiding' as much as 'enhancing your natural beauty'.

Trust me, women do the dressing up, looking after themselves and men look.
You are visual creatures and we females know this all too well.
You may prefer the 'no make up' ladies, but it won't stop you from looking/checking out the smartly dressed and well applied make-up women in everyday working life. When other women notice where men often look, we then sometimes rethink about our own selves.

Aaaanyways, there goes my 'serious bit'.
Been a while since I've had a chance to be snarky and tick off newbies like Flinch here (by newbies, I mean those I've not interacted on here before, thus know my... sweet, adoring personality on the GC forums.) *halo*
Somedays, this semi-retired feline like to flex her claws once in a blue moon

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 06:41   Link #86
Aqua Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
No make up. Natural beauty should not be hidden. Seeing a girl with too much makeup makes me uneasy.
And when girl is natural but not a beauty? What do you do? I think she will use make-up contrary to all beliefs and ideals about natural beauty. It all depends on a girl and her looks,mentality etc.
Old 2011-01-29, 07:04   Link #87
Jjo

Makeup can't enhance anything if you are just naturally ugly to be honest. Of course that is subjective. There are plenty of girls that wear makeup, yes even "natural" looking makeup because they are insecure about their skin, or anything of the sorts.
Also I am not trying to enhance dark circles, or skin imperfections when I wear concealer..I am trying to get rid of them and hide them for the day, lol. :P

At the end of the day makeup is as vain as the next thing that has no life or death reason for it. There's nothing wrong with that, so the need to point out the difference between heavier makeup and "natural" makeup is kinda silly. This is coming from a girl, who wears what most here have described as more natural looking makeup pretty much daily. ^^; I don't know why some fine the replies here so offensive >.<
Jjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 09:25   Link #88
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
Wait, wait, wait.

Are you saying that if I wear make-up to cover up flaws, I'm basically lying to the world, and one day, someone will find out I have skin issues or something and they will dump me because of it? That's... huh.

For one, covering up flaws with make-up is not the same as never mentioning you have them. Even if you don't mention them, though, I don't see how it's that big of a deal.

Oh well. I'm just glad I don't swing either way, then, and can continue lying to the world without any fear of repercussions whenever I feel like it!
*presents Nogi with a pair of cat ears*

Put this on so I can date you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I got the feeling that post was supposed to be sarcastic and shouldn't be taken too seriously at all.
Risk management please! Are you trying to get us killed?

Her berserk button is different from others; hers launches nukes contained within a sealed nerve agent tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
*hides the smoking gun*
I finished before you got suited up.
Rage? What rage? *whistles*
Ok Myst. Put your hand away from the detonator. Nice, and slow. I'll give you lots of cookies ok?

TBH, I am fine with girls with or without makeup. I have seen a girl who messed up her makeup (and punched me in the face for pointing that out). Like anything else, don't overdo it.

It is the girls' way of dressing up to make themselves feel more confident, similar to guys who style their hair and put on sunglasses and act cool. It is a self-esteem thing.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 09:46   Link #89
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

This reminds me of a funny discussion I saw in college.

1. Let's say I agree that makeup is best, but then it becomes symbolic representation of the female oppression by instituting gender roles and requirements as dictated by a male society over women (having been actually stated out loud by an ultra-feminist classmate during a college sociology class). By doing so, I am considered by such standards as a male chauvinist pig.

2. Let's say I stay with my initial belief that women are better off without makeup, but then it becomes symbolic of the male inability to properly appreciate a woman's effort to be attractive in order to fulfill the gender roles pressured by an oppressive male society (a statement used by mild-moderate feminist classmate to contest the suggestion of the previous person.). By this logic, I am considered by such standards as male chauvinist pig.

Said debate became a rather heated one involving 50% of the women in the class. All of us men decided to stay the hell away from this discussion and just be quiet in one corner of the lecture hall lest we get clawed to death by making the mistake of getting in between a heated catfight.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 10:17   Link #90
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post

1. Let's say I agree that makeup is best, but then it becomes symbolic representation of the female oppression by instituting gender roles and requirements as dictated by a male society over women (having been actually stated out loud by an ultra-feminist classmate during a college sociology class). By doing so, I am considered by such standards as a male chauvinist pig.

2. Let's say I stay with my initial belief that women are better off without makeup, but then it becomes symbolic of the male inability to properly appreciate a woman's effort to be attractive in order to fulfill the gender roles pressured by an oppressive male society (a statement used by mild-moderate feminist classmate to contest the suggestion of the previous person.). By this logic, I am considered by such standards as male chauvinist pig.

Said debate became a rather heated one involving 50% of the women in the class. All of us men decided to stay the hell away from this discussion and just be quiet in one corner of the lecture hall lest we get clawed to death by making the mistake of getting in between a heated catfight.
The best answer is :

Hence catgirls are still the best girls. Every other girl is just "normal" and "ok only".

Really! It works! Albeit most people just give confused looks because they don't know what catgirls are.

What? What's with that "Aren't you supposed to be dead?" look on your face?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-01-29, 10:25   Link #91
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
*presents Nogi with a pair of cat ears*

Put this on so I can date you.
*puts on the cat ears*

The dating thing may not work, but cat ears are pretty. xD

Quote:

See, there's a difference between saying, "I usually like it when women (don't) wear make-up" and saying, "women should (not) wear make-up" or "women who (don't) wear make up are just sloppy/insecure/whatever".

If someone tells you that mere preferences make you sexist, they probably fail. However, in class, there will always be people who put their "preferences" in a very offensive way, and it's indeed not such a bad idea to back off when something like that gets those offended riled up, because what women do with their bodies is their business before it's anyone else's.
Old 2011-01-29, 10:34   Link #92
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The above experience has taught me that, when push comes to shove, the best option is not to give a damn with choosing.
Old 2011-01-29, 10:45   Link #93
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
*puts on the cat ears*

The dating thing may not work, but cat ears are pretty. xD
Say nyaa~! Please!

Quote:
The above experience has taught me that, when push comes to shove, the best option is not to give a damn with choosing.
Mistake. When it is between 2 female friends, you have to at least try and get them to make up with each other, or play the "real enemy role" when they ask you to choose. Standing in one corner and saying I don't know is as good as putting up a placard saying, "I am your mediator girls."

Girls are nothing but trouble. And I think that only catgirls are worth my trouble because I have yet to meet a normal one who is.

Yes I am what girls like to call a "chauvinist": I will certainly treat my girlfriend/wife (if I ever have one) like a plaything. After all, a guy has to be responsible for the toys he own and take good care of them.

Old 2011-01-29, 10:56   Link #94
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I think it's a foregone conclusion that you want your wife to wear cat ears and a maid outfit to welcome you home from work.

That's... that's just... I need a dictionary...
Old 2011-01-29, 11:04   Link #95
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I think it's a foregone conclusion that you want your wife to wear cat ears and a maid outfit to welcome you home from work.
Maid outfit is optional. And you got it wrong : I want my wife/girlfriend to be a REAL catgirl.

Other forms of kemonomimi are fine. And a loli form is preferred so I can cuddle her like a bolster when I sleep at night. Or anytime I want to cuddle her.

After all, the only way a guy who totally suck at speech communication can tell his girl that he loves her is to cuddle her.

Quote:
That's... that's just... I need a dictionary...
The word, as coined by "realists", is "unrealistic", or something synonymous. But I do believe that smart geneticists exist : someday one genius gene engineer will create catgirls.

Old 2011-01-29, 11:08   Link #96
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well they've managed to genetically engineer a rat to grow the helix of a human external ear on its back so... uh... yeah...

(No I'm not going to link that. You can find it easily yourself.)
Old 2011-01-29, 11:09   Link #97
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

I don't know what guys think, but I dislike make-up. Well, I'm kind of tomboy.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 13:30   Link #98
Espion

I actually don't mind that girls have make-up on. As long as it isn't all caked on, and that she wears it real heavily. 'Cause if one day I see her without it on, I'd probably wouldn't tell that it's the same girl
Espion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-29, 15:50   Link #99
Rena_Killer
Rena Fan

I said with. I see many girls wear makeup these days. I don't wear makeup myself though. i don't like it.

But I do realize later on girls that wear make up a lot end up getting their face damaged.
Old 2011-01-29, 16:59   Link #100
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena_Killer View Post
I said with. I see many girls wear makeup these days. I don't wear makeup myself though. i don't like it.

But I do realize later on girls that wear make up a lot end up getting their face damaged.
Erm; I'm going to go out on a limb and suspect it's not the makeup that's causing the damage; hehe. It's far more likely the damage is there and thus they're wearing makeup to try to hide it.

Unless you refer to skin issues such as acne, and that's not the makeup per se, it's the fact that they're not washing it off, etc (basic skin care)

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote