Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-09-20, 10:00   Link #1201
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It would be pretty funny if Daneel gave his genes to Tamaki.

lmao That's exactly what I thought when I read that comment.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 10:23   Link #1202
Puu

Quote:
Having absolutely nobody with an actual name die in this end battle was a bit of a let down for me. The battle were good, but even I was looking at this and saying, "How many times are we just going to have these shots keep firing parallel barrages to each other? Guys! Space is a 3D battleground, you can move around more than this!"
I could swear someone from the Legend of the Galactic Heroes fandom explained why ships in space might do that rather than go 3D all over the place... (but trying to find it will be a pain) but I guess I'll just settle with, maybe they were just channeling Legend of the Galactic Heroes classic battles with battleships

Having said that, I wonder if they really sat down and decided to pay a lot of homages to various mech anime while making this....
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 11:46   Link #1203
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

So what are ships supposed to do, dodge lasers?

It's space, there's no cover, no high ground. What is there to do but point your guns at the enemy and open fire? If you try to get fancy and move around, you just end up presenting a bigger profile and being unable to concentrate your firepower.

The only question is how close to each other you want your ships to be. Close enough to fire on the same target, not so close that near misses on one hit the other, or they collide, or the explosion of one damages the other.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 12:14   Link #1204
dmaxzero

Combat wise, last episode was a blast. (It was the last episode right?)
Izuru badass, he pulled through a whole ton of death flags. I enjoyed it a lot.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 12:15   Link #1205
Puu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
So what are ships supposed to do, dodge lasers?

It's space, there's no cover, no high ground. What is there to do but point your guns at the enemy and open fire? If you try to get fancy and move around, you just end up presenting a bigger profile and being unable to concentrate your firepower.

The only question is how close to each other you want your ships to be. Close enough to fire on the same target, not so close that near misses on one hit the other, or they collide, or the explosion of one damages the other.
Randomly, this reminds me that unlike mechs (which are smaller), battleships are huge. I'm not entirely sure moving around is fuel-efficient with the kind of mass they're carrying...

Or maybe the bottomline is: huge battleships in space aren't really a good idea. Unless you've got force fields or something... then it'd be a battle of whose shield goes down faster...

Maybe...
Old 2013-09-20, 12:26   Link #1206
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
In real life... Battleships defend Aircraft carriers which launch/refuel/restock Fighter jets. Why not just use Fighter jets alone? Because they'll run out of fuel/armament without having an Aircraft carrier to restock them. Why have Battleships? To defend the Aircraft carriers (and attack large-scale enemy targets).

This finale of Majestic Prince works on a similar, though obviously much more flashy, basis.

Huge battleships defend Mecha carries which launch/refuel/restock Mechas. Those huge battleships also focus on large-scale enemy targets (the Gate, in this case). Why not just use Mechas alone? Because they'll run out of fuel/armament without having a Mecha carrier to restock them. One touch I really liked in this show is just how frequently they had a Team Rabbits mecha get fixed up and/or resupplied with weaponry. That justified the presence of these huge battleships/mecha carriers in a way that not every mecha show manages to do (*cough*Valvrave*cough* ).
Old 2013-09-20, 13:07   Link #1207
Kyruga

Quote:
In real life... Battleships defend Aircraft carriers which launch/refuel/restock Fighter jets. Why not just use Fighter jets alone? Because they'll run out of fuel/armament without having an Aircraft carrier to restock them. Why have Battleships? To defend the Aircraft carriers (and attack large-scale enemy targets).

This finale of Majestic Prince works on a similar, though obviously much more flashy, basis.

Huge battleships defend Mecha carries which launch/refuel/restock Mechas. Those huge battleships also focus on large-scale enemy targets (the Gate, in this case). Why not just use Mechas alone? Because they'll run out of fuel/armament without having a Mecha carrier to restock them. One touch I really liked in this show is just how frequently they had a Team Rabbits mecha get fixed up and/or resupplied with weaponry. That justified the presence of these huge battleships/mecha carriers in a way that not every mecha show manages to do (*cough*Valvrave*cough* ).

You said everything i was thinking about this anime. Its because that than i stay striking soo much in this series and hope for more
Kyruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 13:09   Link #1208
Puu

Quote:

Hey! Valvrave mechs aren't even just mechs! Aren't they like... biological weapons at this point? Not that I'm ever re-watching it or seeing the second season to confirm....

Randomly, that reminds me. I loved seeing the "basic" mech for the finale. It's like almost saying, sometimes super upgrades aren't enough... you gotta do stuff the old fashioned way.

Or something...

(I hope more people look back to this show and watch it...)
Old 2013-09-20, 13:27   Link #1209
whitecloud

Izuru goes Xenogear......
Old 2013-09-20, 16:13   Link #1210
Puu

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
Izuru goes Xenogear......
Weltall is kind of supernatural too in nature, isn't it? 8D

Spoiler for Xenogears spoiler...:
Is drawing better comics evil?
Old 2013-09-20, 19:08   Link #1211
Gundamx

next season last boss = Izuru
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 22:21   Link #1212
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Why would Prince Jiart would return... unless someone turned him into a cyborg!

But anyways, good job to Dogakobo for animating Majestic Prince!
It's the law of mecha anime. Unless you are absolutely sure he's dead, there's always a chance for a main character or villain to come back.

We saw from Klein that their alien mechs can take major damage, even being skewered, and still the pilot survives. And if Izuru survived that explosion, it wouldn't be too impossible if Jiart did too.

I don't know if he's alive or not, but if Jiart DOES show up again, I wouldn't be surprised.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 22:24   Link #1213
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Jiart should totally come back wearing a Char Aznable-esque mask. That would be very cool.
Old 2013-09-20, 22:30   Link #1214
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Jiart should totally come back wearing a Char Aznable-esque mask. That would be very cool.
And then we find out that this is just one reincarnation cycle and that in a past life Teoria turned her back on Jiart in favor of her space dog named "Izurun"
Old 2013-09-20, 22:56   Link #1215
n0m@n
C-Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
next season last boss = Izuru
Lol. That will be epic.

Seriously, that's what GSD should have done.
Old 2013-09-20, 23:03   Link #1216
Irenesharda

Izuru did look a little sinister there at that last shot. It really would be interesting if he were to become the villian in the next season. Like, what if Red 5, knowing it was going to "die" made a last unexpected push in the last moments of the battle and transferred into Izuru?

MJP seems the least likely too go that deep or dark, but it's interesting to think about.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 23:05   Link #1217
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Why would Prince Jiart would return... unless someone turned him into a cyborg!

But anyways, good job to Dogakobo for animating Majestic Prince!
well.. Jiart was a really good villain

S2 without him would not be the same
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 23:07   Link #1218
VTHokiePride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Izuru did look a little sinister there at that last shot. It really would be interesting if he were to become the villian in the next season. Like, what if Red 5, knowing it was going to "die" made a last unexpected push in the last moments of the battle and transferred into Izuru?

MJP seems the least likely too go that deep or dark, but it's interesting to think about.
Agreed. MJP didn't bother killing off any major good character's besides Patrick and Randy. Even most of the Wulgaru Commanders survived the final battle except that yellow pilot.
Old 2013-09-20, 23:19   Link #1219
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post

Do you think MJP would benefit from a Special Edition?
Old 2013-09-21, 03:36   Link #1220
Blaat

One day, a mecha writer will have the great idea to spend an half episode to tie in all the lose ends to create satisfactory ending and that day cannot come soon enough. I blame the original Gundam for this trend and not surprisingly Majestic Prince ending was a giant homage to that series ending.

Quote:
Destroyers and submarines defend aircraft carriers, battleships are no longer in use by modern navies.

Tags
action, actual mecha action, comedy, mecha, science fiction