AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-09-03, 02:23   Link #2261
kujoe
from head to heel

Does it have to be Japanese? There's no region coding for PS3 games, and the blu-ray region codes for North America and Japan are the same.

The only problems you'll encounter are PS and PS2 games (plus DVD playback) which are still restricted by their respective region codes.

If these conditions are ok for you, then your search options can include both backwards compatible US and JP PS3 units.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 04:17   Link #2262
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

That's the kicker. I wish to play Japanese PS2 games....
Old 2009-09-03, 05:55   Link #2263
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Getting a Japanese PS2 is much easier in that cause though. I did that last month.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 06:01   Link #2264
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Guess I'll have to settle for that. I won't play Sengoku Basara in English.
Old 2009-09-03, 07:22   Link #2265
Shadow Kira01

Just a note..

If you are switching between NA/EU and JP games, you better have at least two memory cards or a single memory card with more than one page as that the saves are incompatible and will result in disappointment as that the JP save will replace all the NA/EU saves on one go.

I don't have the problem as that I have multiple memory cards while the 32MB one has 4 pages. Not sure how the technology works but it is very convenient.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 07:26   Link #2266
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Most probably not, since if I ever do get a PS2, it would be for Sengoku Basara and Dynasty Warriors (5 at least) Empires.
Old 2009-09-03, 12:41   Link #2267
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
If you are switching between NA/EU and JP games, you better have at least two memory cards or a single memory card with more than one page as that the saves are incompatible and will result in disappointment as that the JP save will replace all the NA/EU saves on one go.
I read about that, although I thought it only applied to PS1 memory cards. I didn't know that issue affected PS2 saves as well.

It doesn't bother me much because I got three 8MB cards years ago (before I was able to backup to PS2* or PS3 HDD) and now use a single card for each region (Black=US, Blue=Europe, Red=Japan).

*) I got FFXI for PS2 with the PS2 HDD (40GB) which allows saves to be copied to a "My Saves" section on the HDD. Fun fact: My US (fat) PS2 has a bigger HDD than some people have in their 360, lol
Old 2009-09-03, 23:21   Link #2268
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

For real?

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7978998

Eh... Sony...
Beware of Denshi Drug?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-04, 22:38   Link #2269
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
I know this must have been asked before .. and I only flew over the last two pages... but I still gotta ask, sorry xD

Slim or fat?

As far as I've read things the slim seems to be good - so no widely known problems with it? Doesn't have the PS2 compatability, or does it?

I don't own a PS3 yet, but I want to buy one soon and I wonder if I should grab a fat one as long as they're avaiable in local stores.
.. the slim came out with the same gig size and USB port number for all .. did it?
Is the slim easily upgradable (regarding HDD) as the fat one?
(I'm getting the PAL (EU) version ..)

Glad about warnings / informations / recommandations.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 00:36   Link #2270
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I'd say get a Slim, unless you need a feature of the old model, like the ability to install Linux (but if you want to try Linux, it's better to just install it on PC as PS3 has limited RAM).

Things the PS3 Slim does not have compared to launch model PS3:
- PS2 HW BC (but this has been absent from all models from the past 1-2 years or so!)
- 2 USB ports (Slim has 2, initially there were 4)
- Memory card reader (External USB reader works fine though)
- Other OS install (ie. Linux)

What the PS3 Slim does have:
- Slightly smaller & lighter design
- Significant lower power usage
- Quieter
- Better HDMI support allowing Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD to be output over HDMI as bitstream
- Different loading times, some better, some worse, but in the end: they're just loading times
Old 2009-09-05, 12:44   Link #2271
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
I'd say get a Slim, unless you need a feature of the old model, like the ability to install Linux (but if you want to try Linux, it's better to just install it on PC as PS3 has limited RAM).

Things the PS3 Slim does not have compared to launch model PS3:
- 2 USB ports (Slim has 2, initially there were 4)
- Memory card reader (External USB reader works fine though)
- Other OS install (ie. Linux)

What the PS3 Slim does have:
- Significant lower power usage
- Quieter
To me, these seems to be the only comparisons...

Regarding the quiet game loading of the PS3 slim, does it mean that the PS3 original makes lots of noises? Currently, my PS2 does make a lot of noises but it is still acceptable as long as the discs aren't scratch and the games boot up fine while running smoothly.

About installing Linux on the PS3.. Isn't it possible to load a PS2 emulator in Linux enabling the backward-compatibility feature on the PS3 that way?

And, how smooth does the internal memory card reader work? Currently, mine on the laptop causes freeze but external memory card readers work perfectly fine. Generally, I am asking whether the PS3 original has similar issues or not. Thanks!!
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 14:38   Link #2272
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
To me, these seems to be the only comparisons...

Regarding the quiet game loading of the PS3 slim, does it mean that the PS3 original makes lots of noises? Currently, my PS2 does make a lot of noises but it is still acceptable as long as the discs aren't scratch and the games boot up fine while running smoothly.

About installing Linux on the PS3.. Isn't it possible to load a PS2 emulator in Linux enabling the backward-compatibility feature on the PS3 that way?

And, how smooth does the internal memory card reader work? Currently, mine on the laptop causes freeze but external memory card readers work perfectly fine. Generally, I am asking whether the PS3 original has similar issues or not. Thanks!!
The internal card reader works well on the old PS3s =)

The original PS3s does make quite a bit of noise due to the fan, when the PS3 heats up, which is like 10mins after you turn it on, the fan kicks in and its noticeably loud during night gaming sessions when you have to turn everything down, but on a normal basis I don't really hear it, given I do sit a good 10m from my TV (40")
Old 2009-09-06, 04:35   Link #2273
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
The internal card reader works well on the old PS3s =)

The original PS3s does make quite a bit of noise due to the fan, when the PS3 heats up, which is like 10mins after you turn it on, the fan kicks in and its noticeably loud during night gaming sessions when you have to turn everything down, but on a normal basis I don't really hear it, given I do sit a good 10m from my TV (40")
Thats odd. My fan never kicks in until like 2 hours after I turn it on. I also sit like 5 feet from the tv because I just love ruining my eyes. I rarely hear them at all. I bought a cooler thinking that it might overheat and go stupid on me like the 360 that redeyed. But without that on I never really hear my fan at all. And when I play I play games for like 4-5 hours straight.

Like lately I've become addicted to a game called Fat Princess which is probably one of the most funnest games I've played in a while
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-06, 23:01   Link #2274
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

I've been having a Frame rate lagging issue ever since I downloaded 3.0. Is there a patch out for it yet? Or anyway to solve the problem?
It's been happening with mostly online play (LBP) . My Connection is 5 bars usually so I don't think that's the problem.

I don't usually game for longer then an hour but my fan is never noticeable. Maybe because it's in a TV stand?

On a totally random Sidenote: Sometimes my Ps3 changes outputs to .. 580i? - then resets my theme. Is this totally random or am I hitting something on accident?
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 02:17   Link #2275
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

i don't know what happen, but i got kicked out from online games half the times from lagging
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 09:26   Link #2276
EvilMonkzilla

Send a message via MSN to EvilMonkzilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreshadow View Post
On a totally random Sidenote: Sometimes my Ps3 changes outputs to .. 580i? - then resets my theme. Is this totally random or am I hitting something on accident?
no its totally random

i don't really notice the fan when it comes on
EvilMonkzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 11:44   Link #2277
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Lord Have Mercy

Japan: PS3 Slim sells over 150k in three days

UK PS3 sales up 999%, outsells Xbox 360 by 3:1
Old 2009-09-07, 12:15   Link #2278
ShinGundam

^
^
Indeed
ShinGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 13:14   Link #2279
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

lol i can't wait..
I really hope it has English subtitles
Old 2009-09-07, 13:48   Link #2280
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
lol i can't wait..
I really hope it has English subtitles
No way, lolz. It's Japanese version after all.

Tags
console, ps3, sony