AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2008-09-26, 13:25   Link #941
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
Quote:
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A Shelby County man and his wife said two doctors amputated the man's penis without his consent, and have filed a lawsuit.

According to the lawsuit, Philip Seaton, 61, went to have a circumcision last Octoberas part of treatment for a medical condition. Seaton said when he woke up from the procedure, he realized his penis had been amputated.

Seaton has suffered mental anguish, pain, and has lost the enjoyment of life, according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit was filed in Shelby County court last week against Dr. John Patterson, who performed the procedure, Dr. Oliver James, who administered anesthesia, and Commonwealth Urology, PSC.

The lawsuit states that Patterson received consent to perform a circumcision and only a circumcision, and that Seaton did not consent to his penis being removed.

Kevin George, the plaintiff's attorney, said Patterson amputated the organ after finding cancer, but he only had consent to remove the foreskin.

"Sometimes you have an emergency and you have to do this, but he could very easily closed him up and said, 'Here are your options. You have cancer,' and the family would have said, 'We want a second opinion. This is a big deal,'" George said.

The lawsuit also claims the plaintiff did not consent to general anesthesia.

WLKY attempted to contact the doctors, but have not been able to reach them.

The Seatons are seeking punitive damages against both doctors and the medical practice. Attorneys for the defendants will now have a chance to respond to the suit.
Hm, what was that word again? Hmmm...

Ah, I remember. Ouch.
aka Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 17:58   Link #942
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
But what do phases of the moon tell us about the shape of the Earth?
Earth's shadow? If the earth was flat at some point there would be a shadow like a line on the moon. Since this never happens, you can conclude the earth is in fact not flat.

Quote:
As for going round the world until you reach your starting point, it's easy, just fly in a big circle!
"Same general direction." You can fly a plane due east and you'll arrive back at your starting point. If the Earth was flat, you'd wind up at the edge.

Quote:
I think the only convincing thing really for an earth-dweller is how things gradually appear/disappear over the horizon, but you need a big flat area to be able to observe such a thing, like watching ships out at sea. I think that was what made people originally conclude the Earth might be round.
That works too.

Though according to Vexx this is something like the flying spaghetti monster and they don't actually believe it. If I hadn't been lazy when I made that post and had googled them before posting, I would have see through it since their website makes it obvious. Just check the fine print at the bottom of the page.

I should take that as a lesson for the future and do some of my own research before trusting an article even if it comes from a reputable source, since a lot of this stuff is just pulled off a news wire. Of course that would involve not being lazy.
Old 2008-09-29, 11:39   Link #943
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Earth's shadow? If the earth was flat at some point there would be a shadow like a line on the moon. Since this never happens, you can conclude the earth is in fact not flat.
The phases of the moon aren't due to the earth's shadow though. And even when it does cast one during lunar eclipses, the shape is determined by the outline of the earth: a discworld would cast the same shadow as a sphere.

Quote:
"Same general direction." You can fly a plane due east and you'll arrive back at your starting point. If the Earth was flat, you'd wind up at the edge.
But when travelling thousands of miles, how do you know you're holding your direction? A compass reading might change towards the rim and lead you in a circle, kind of like how it becomes tricksy at the poles. There are many classic cases of aeroplanes and ships which went massively off course without realising it, sometimes with tragic results. Even people who get lost whilst going for a walk in have been known to walk in a circle without realising it.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-29, 12:39   Link #944
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
The phases of the moon aren't due to the earth's shadow though. And even when it does cast one during lunar eclipses, the shape is determined by the outline of the earth: a discworld would cast the same shadow as a sphere.
Yes, lunar eclipse is the keyword, not moon phases. However, your argument is wrong.

The shadow of a disk will in general be elliptic. A disc earth will cast a round shadow on the moon only if the moon is exactly in the zenith - which is never the case if you don't live close enough to the equator.

The moon's phases are a proof that the moon is a sphere though.
Old 2008-10-07, 13:33   Link #945
Robotnik
Not a member

Robot suit for rent in Japan to help people walk
Quote:
TSUKUBA, Japan - A robotic suit that reads brain signals and helps people with mobility problems will be available to rent in Japan for $2,200 a month starting Friday — an invention that may have far-reaching benefits for the disabled and elderly.
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 23:02   Link #946
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Tuesday 10/7 Kyoto, Japan

A fully stripped naked 6-foot tall caucasian foreigner climbed the walls of the imperial palace in Kyoto, and took a swim in the waters.
He dodged the police chasing him, threw rocks at them, then took another dive.
He supposedly did this to find a bag dropped by his companion in the waters.

......oooohkay.
Old 2008-10-07, 23:05   Link #947
Echoes

Wow. That's one insane guy.

Maybe be lost a bet

How serious of a crime is that, I mean, what's the guy looking at if he's not ruled legally insane?
Old 2008-10-07, 23:06   Link #948
Cherudim Arche

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Tuesday 10/7 Kyoto, Japan

A fully stripped naked 6-foot tall caucasian foreigner climbed the walls of the imperial palace in Kyoto, and took a swim in the waters.
He dodged the police chasing him, threw rocks at them, then took another dive.
He supposedly did this to find a bag dropped by his companion in the waters.

......oooohkay.
That is one crazy nudist!!!!!!!
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 23:30   Link #949
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Great.... it only takes one to make all the tourists look stupid or confirm worst suspicions.
Old 2008-10-08, 00:19   Link #950
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

You can also see news coverage up on youtube about this:

kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 00:25   Link #951
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post

......oooohkay.
No wonder they call him "Caucasian".
Tripfag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 02:17   Link #952
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Maybe be lost a bet
Maybe he won a bet...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 03:06   Link #953
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Idiot...
I'd not care if he done that in Shibuya or something, but to swim in the pool of the freaking Imperial Gardens!!? That's disgusting, shameful and he should be deported as far as I'm concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Great.... it only takes one to make all the tourists look stupid or confirm worst suspicions.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
I look forward to them taking some kinda steps for foriegn tourist entry to there now...
Culture respect from Gaijin: 53
Xenaphobia: 109285834 (and rising)

Curious though, does it say his nationality? I've a bad sneaking suspcion...

EDIT:
Watching the video, WTF are the police running away?!.. well them and the reporters too... (I guess since he was throwing rocks at the police in the boat, they'd be petrified)
(and seriously, were some peeps saying 'shoot him' or am i hearing wrong?) O.o

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2008-10-08 at 03:34.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 11:56   Link #954
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique
Watching the video, WTF are the police running away?!
I just rolled my eyes on that one <.< Dude is naked, nothing harmful on him. If that sh!t happened here in the states he would have been tackled down within minutes before the press swarm the scene. Oh well, least the tourist there were enjoying the show
Old 2008-10-08, 14:59   Link #955
Shadow Kira01

Talking What a joke!

The guy actually launched himself into the Imperial Palace moat just to get a bag. But wait... How did the bag ended up in the moat in the first place? I don't get it. Unless the bag was toss into the moat, it is actually impossible to drop it there. Then again, if it was a toss, then what was the point of fetching it. I still don't get it.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 15:41   Link #956
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hawk View Post
I just rolled my eyes on that one <.< Dude is naked, nothing harmful on him. If that sh!t happened here in the states he would have been tackled down within minutes before the press swarm the scene.
I can so picture a Japanese policeman thinking "I'm not paid enough to tackle a naked guy". Where's Hard Gay when you need him?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 19:41   Link #957
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Send a message via ICQ to Tornix Send a message via AIM to Tornix Send a message via Yahoo to Tornix
Greeaatt...another disrespectful tourist.

Well, here's some other news from Japan. Looks like someone has a couple of monkeys trained to be waiters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEgn3kClWGs
Old 2008-10-09, 21:43   Link #958
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

(Imperial Palace moat story) The man was from the UK and claimed he'd dropped his bag and went in to retrieve it. Your mileage may vary.

yeah, I can see why they ran... I'd be using a net from a long way off on that giant ghostly apparition.

Its going to take a whole squadron of Shinto priests to clear the impurities from that area
Old 2008-10-09, 23:51   Link #959
FateAnomaly

So would I.

The naked, resisting arrest and assaulting police officers part is probable chargeable but is the swimming part illegal?

Anyway, i think the bag is just a lame excuse.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 00:13   Link #960
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its roughly the equivalent as vaulting the fence onto the White House lawn and then claiming you were just retrieving a golf ball.... yeah, right

The spiritual issues are just icing on the stupidity.

Tags
humor