AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-09, 04:41   Link #1561
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Depends how the propaganda is presented. It is suggested that Earth fired on an early Gamilas visit to the system, but why were the Gamilas there in the first place? The propaganda department could be combining Earth "barbarians" with the Comet Empire 'barbarians" for military effect (more spending).

It could be something else though. In the original it was suggested that Gamilas was a dying world and they were preparing to migrate to Earth after the humans either surrendered or died off. It is assumed the Gamilas had some sort of Cosmic Cleaner device like Iscandar does. Plus in this version they had the floating continent (a piece out of Gamilas' outer crust) at Jupiter to help reform the planet Earth after the humans were gone (or at least that is what has been suggested).
Old 2013-02-09, 13:29   Link #1562
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherzo09 View Post
I saw another thing note that it doesn't make any sense for the Kirishima to be able to fly through Earth's atmosphere. It doesn't have any lifting surfaces and it's pre-Yamato, so it's not like it's floating on a bed of EM particles.
Maybe the Earth had both an antigravity and repulsor/lift system prior to their contact with Iscandar?

Quote:
Honestly I felt the ETA in that episode was a bit of a flub on their part because an object moving at 25 times the speed of light, well, it wouldn't be visible. I sort of wonder what the actual time scale is during Operation M, since relays between the Earth and Pluto would take several hours because again there wouldn't have been FTL comms Pre-Yamato.
That crossed my mind as well when watching that, but I just chalked it up to theatrics for better storytelling.
They could have just done the "Star Trek" thing and showed a flash of blue(?) light near Mars for the radiation discharge from coming out of FTL speed and then Sasha's ship decelerating towards the Red Planet. That would have been a nice update to the show from a technical (more scientific) perspective.

Quote:
On that note, reminds me of something else I was thinking about; why the Heliopause would block comms. IRL there doesn't seem to be much of a problem relaying to Voyager 2 as it leaves the Solar System, and obviously the Gamilans can communicate fine. I've come up with an idea: assuming the idea that Sol has a Bow Shock (It doesn't but they wouldn't have known that when making the show), the interstellar comms would blueshifted due to being accelerated beyond the speed of light and therefore hit and bounce off the Bow Shock. Either Gamilans have stronger equipment on both ends, or they use some form of Quantum Entanglement to communicate.
I facepalmed on that one when I saw that in the show.
Knowing that Voyager is still transmitting back to us without a problem, it did make me wince inside when they claimed they'd no longer be able to contact Earth once they passed through it.
That was a flub.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh and if there's this idea that Earth struck Gamilas first, at least with Gamilan propaganda, wouldn't that mean at least some of them believe Earth has been FTL capable?
Hmmmmm, that is a really good question.
I would have to side with the idea that Earth had a primitive FTL drive considering the Izumo plan. Obviously not fast enough to reach Iscandar, but clearly fast enough to go to other star systems within the local group of stars and find another Earth-like planet.
Old 2013-02-09, 14:04   Link #1563
denshousha

Now I want to play this game.
Spoiler for Super Talan Brothers:
denshousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 14:55   Link #1564
Scherzo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Maybe the Earth had both an antigravity and repulsor/lift system prior to their contact with Iscandar?
Well the obvious answer is the Kirishima did the same thing and looked the same way in the original. It doesn't seem like they bother to hand wave it, but if I were to I guess you could say there's some sort of rudimentary EM Levitation, like Minovsky Craft System in Gundam; something that doesn't enable FTL or Artificial Gravity but would allow to get into orbit from flying horizontally. Again it's still Handwavium but for this universe I think it'd work.

Quote:
That crossed my mind as well when watching that, but I just chalked it up to theatrics for better storytelling.
They could have just done the "Star Trek" thing and showed a flash of blue(?) light near Mars for the radiation discharge from coming out of FTL speed and then Sasha's ship decelerating towards the Red Planet. That would have been a nice update to the show from a technical (more scientific) perspective.
What I probably would've had them do is exit warp near Pluto, then warp again. Sort of like the Yamato itself, Jupiter's gravity messes up the jump and that's what sets it on a collision with Mars.

Quote:
I facepalmed on that one when I saw that in the show.
Knowing that Voyager is still transmitting back to us without a problem, it did make me wince inside when they claimed they'd no longer be able to contact Earth once they passed through it.
That was a flub.
Well again, it also was something from the original they wanted to reference. I'm certain you could handwave a reason why it wouldn't work. Plus I don't think they knew the Sun lacked a bow shock when they made that episode.

Sorta related to what I was saying though; you agree that FTL comms is something that only came about after Yamato, right?

Quote:
Hmmmmm, that is a really good question.
I would have to side with the idea that Earth had a primitive FTL drive considering the Izumo plan. Obviously not fast enough to reach Iscandar, but clearly fast enough to go to other star systems within the local group of stars and find another Earth-like planet.
It'd probably still be highly theoretical before the Wave Motion Engine; producing the exotic particles necessary for generating a warp field would still be a pain in the ass and more than a bit prohibitively expensive.
Scherzo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 15:37   Link #1565
Beltane70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Side note: in this version, where did Kirishama dock? In an underground berth of some kind. Some hard dock, or wheels? I doubt they have a giant pool of water for her to land in anymore. So it can be assumed that they might have a shipyard down there. Though Kirishama doesn't stay long as it's in orbit before Yamato is.
I'm assuming in pretty much the same place as it did in the original, since, in the new version, the landing scene of the Kirishima is almost identical. The only difference is that they don't show the ship in the dock in the new version.

Quote:
Well the obvious answer is the Kirishima did the same thing and looked the same way in the original. It doesn't seem like they bother to hand wave it, but if I were to I guess you could say there's some sort of rudimentary EM Levitation, like Minovsky Craft System in Gundam; something that doesn't enable FTL or Artificial Gravity but would allow to get into orbit from flying horizontally. Again it's still Handwavium but for this universe I think it'd work.
Some of the scenes in the first episode suggest that the Kirishima does have artificial gravity, at least in some parts of the ship. It's possible that they may not use it during combat situations.
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 16:49   Link #1566
Scherzo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltane70 View Post

Some of the scenes in the first episode suggest that the Kirishima does have artificial gravity, at least in some parts of the ship. It's possible that they may not use it during combat situations.
There doesn't seem to be any Artificial Gravity as far as I can see (Though there might be an internal Centrifuge for living areas like in Gundam). Prefer there not being any gravity field manipulation until they get the Wave Motion Engine.
Old 2013-02-09, 17:09   Link #1567
GundamFan0083

Quote:
That makes sense, since the show doesn't seek to explain it, we'll just have to make an "educated" guess and assume some type of levitation and/or gravitational control (albeit very primitive).
Or just a McGuffan to move the story along.

Quote:
What I probably would've had them do is exit warp near Pluto, then warp again. Sort of like the Yamato itself, Jupiter's gravity messes up the jump and that's what sets it on a collision with Mars.
That certainly would be interesting, but why not just take a different route into the solar system to avoid the large gas giants altogether?
I realize the scene near Neptune was meant for dramatic effect, but why have Sasha travel past any of the heavier astral bodies at all and not just have her go straight to her destination?
Anyhoo, they did it the way they did, and it still looks cool.

Quote:
Well again, it also was something from the original they wanted to reference. I'm certain you could handwave a reason why it wouldn't work. Plus I don't think they knew the Sun lacked a bow shock when they made that episode.
I gathered that was the case.
However, perhaps they could have made it the last transmission they could send before warping out of range for Earth's communications systems in lieu of the heliopause idea?

Quote:
Sorta related to what I was saying though; you agree that FTL comms is something that only came about after Yamato, right?
We agree that there were no FTL communications devices in the possession of Earth prior to the delivery of the Isandarian techology, yes.

Quote:
It'd probably still be highly theoretical before the Wave Motion Engine; producing the exotic particles necessary for generating a warp field would still be a pain in the ass and more than a bit prohibitively expensive.
Most likely it would, but when the survival of the human race is at stake methinks that economics would take a pass and high-risk projects would take center stage.
No doubt whatever primitive FTL they tried would probably have been based on captured parts of the Gamillas ships since they did destroy some of them at Mars according to the story.
We aren't really told how much technology they managed to cannibalize from the wreckage of the Gamillas ships they destroyed.
Perhaps they didn't have any FTL drive prior to their contact with Gamillas, and after they destroyed the first force of the alien ships, they managaed to 'boost' their understanding of the alien technology and thus create improved systems such as antigravity, and primitive FTL.
Old 2013-02-09, 18:03   Link #1568
August138

Quote:
Okay this will be interesting:

http://yamato2199.net/news.html#dreamteam

Bringing in the older heavy hitters?

Also does it suggest that the TV version of the show will have a slightly different opening theme sung by this "Yamato - Allstars" grouping. Or just the regular theme song sung by all of them?
Yes, it's a new opening for the television version — to attract a younger audience. Kageyama and JAM Project (I know that Kageyama founded JAM Project) are each going to contribute the ending songs to Chapters 5 and 6, respectively.

Quote:
It was stated that the wreck on the surface was camouflage so the Gamilas spy planes and ships wouldn't notice the construction of a large warship near the planet's surface.
This convention was also part of the 1977 feature film version — and was carried over to the English dub.

Quote:
Izumo Plan seems to have been for a Sleeper Ship.
Yes, that's why they were building the Yamato, until Yurisha arrived.
Old 2013-02-09, 22:25   Link #1569
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I realized that if Dommel's flagship in 1/1000 scale it would be about 29 inches long.
Old 2013-02-10, 00:09   Link #1570
Scherzo09

Was thinking about a couple things:

Anyone notice that this version of Yamato kinda mirrors a compressed version of Halo's canon? It sounds like in the Mid 22nd Century there was a series (at least two) interplanetary wars between Earth and its off-planet colonies which ends with mankind being unified under the UN's command. But then mankind is forced to the brink of extinction by multi-racial, caste-based empire seemingly hell bent on humanity's annihilation. Mankind fights a losing war for several years and seems on the brink of utter destruction, but an artifact from an alien civilization sends them on a desparate search for a technology that could turn the tide of the war.

I mean, sure, there are a lot of particulars that are different, it just interests me to think about.

Also if I'm reading it right, the Cosmic Forces hadn't be as ineffective as they had seemed in Operation M. I get the feeling that they had been in sort of a (losing) arms race with Gamilas, and that their reflective con-formal armor was just their latest advancement.
Old 2013-02-10, 03:08   Link #1571
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We know the UNCF was able to stop the Gamilas advance at the Second Battle of Mars (Operation K2). It cost a lot of ships and lives but the Gamilas stopped the conventional advance towards Earth and resorted to long range Planet Bombing instead.

The background notes suggest they were stopped by the use of the Earth battleships and cruisers' bow mounted Shock Cannons. These are similar prototype weapons to what Yamato would use for her turrets. My guess is that this weapon also inspired the engineers to mount a bow weapon on Yamato, just they didn't imaging the power and damage the Wave Motion Gun could do. (They were trying to just blow up the Gamilas base on the floating continent...not take out the whole continent).

However we have yet to see an older Earth ship use this bow mounted weapon.

Maybe we will see it in a flashback or the sometimes suggested prequel OVA about the leadup to the Battle of Pluto.

Or maybe we will see it when Yamato returns home. Kirishima is still in service, and you can never be sure of what might follow Yamato home.

We can gather that the Earth Forces fighter groups have been active for a little while at least since they have veteran pilots and men lost in combat already. Also the Comso Falcons are said to have been modified for Carrier operations, while the Comso Zero was newly designed for shipboard use. One would imagine the Cosmo Falcons being assigned to defense units aroiund Earth, Luna, and Mars engaging Gamilas vessels. The Cosmo Falcons and Cosmo Zeros seem adequate for use against Gamilas attack craft and at least smaller Gamilas warships. We've not seen them attempt a run against anything the size of a Gamilas Destroyer yet.
Old 2013-02-10, 03:45   Link #1572
Scherzo09

The Space Fighters may have also been deployed from Orbital Combat Air Stations. It seems like they were initially designed for point defense of planetary or orbital assets, not for interplanetary fleet actions.

I also think that the Gamilans armor probably was new.

Any thoughts on the Interplanetary Wars? Kinda find it interesting that Spacenoid identity stuff probably happened in this canon.

Rewatching the episode, Kodai's reason for not using the Wave Motion Gun on Pluto seems a tad flimsy. What's the loss of one Dwarf Planet?

EDIT: Watching the trailer for episodes 11-14; have to say some of the stuff sounds rather friggin silly. Raise to Dimensional Periscope Depth? Dimensional Ballast? I know you want to invoke it being a submarine but seriously? Is Yamato going to use 'Dimensional Depth Charges'? Geez...

Last edited by Scherzo09; 2013-02-10 at 04:35.
Old 2013-02-10, 05:13   Link #1573
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Massive rambling to follow......

TL;DR…
Pluto
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

TL;DR…
Interplanetary War and Human colonies

TL;DR…
Gamilas vs the UNCN 2191-2199 around Sol

TL;DR…
Gamilas and Yamato

Spoiler for The elder Kodai?:

Last edited by Ithekro; 2013-02-10 at 06:00. Reason: Spelling corrections and tags
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 05:30   Link #1574
macdawson

Quote:
I realized that if Dommel's flagship in 1/1000 scale it would be about 29 inches long.
That ship never got the model treatment except for theSaucer ship (which is now part of this juggernaut), and being that big, they'll either skip it or, much like they did with Zuoder's fortress, make it in a smaller scale. I would be happy with a 1/1000 model as the DIII looks badass and would be awesome to have it in scale with the rest of the fleet but if they decide to go smaller, hey, at least we get a model.

Quote:
Rewatching the episode, Kodai's reason for not using the Wave Motion Gun on Pluto seems a tad flimsy. What's the loss of one Dwarf Planet?

EDIT: Watching the trailer for episodes 11-14; have to say some of the stuff sounds rather friggin silly. Raise to Dimensional Periscope Depth? Dimensional Ballast? I know you want to invoke it being a submarine but seriously? Is Yamato going to use 'Dimensional Depth Charges'? Geez...
The reasoning stands. Even if it's been demoted to dwarf planet, Pluto has important interactions within the solar system, destroying an asteroid isn't a big deal but a planetoid that size could have unpredictable consequences, from gravitacional shifts to pieces of the planetoid flying into the inner solar system and slamming Earth. OK, in 2199 Earth is a wasteland but you still wouldn't want a piece of Pluto crashing into it.

Izubuchi has explained that those expressions were used for the cool factor, basically. They could have come up with some more ellaborate jargon but that just sounds right in a work like Yamato.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 06:04   Link #1575
Scherzo09

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post

The reasoning stands. Even if it's been demoted to dwarf planet, Pluto has important interactions within the solar system, destroying an asteroid isn't a big deal but a planetoid that size could have unpredictable consequences, from gravitacional shifts to pieces of the planetoid flying into the inner solar system and slamming Earth. OK, in 2199 Earth is a wasteland but you still wouldn't want a piece of Pluto crashing into it.
I still don't buy it. I mean sure there are practical concerns (Yamato treading space for several minutes which could leave it susceptiable), but that's not really Kodai's reasoning.

...Though I guess there is the idea that they want to show the Gamilan's they don't just obliterate their enemies no matter the cost because they can, that we use precision. I guess I can sort of get behind that.
Old 2013-02-10, 06:12   Link #1576
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They are also a little afraid of the Wave Motion Gun after what they did on Jupiter. It was way more powerful than they expected. By the time they start warping around Okita seems slightly more willing to use the weapon, but they've not used it yet on any living targets (that I am aware of) since Jupiter.

The local Gamilas commanders are also a bit freaked out by it since they have no idea what they could have used to put a new giant black spot on Jupiter. Later when they have an audience, the weapon gives several Gamilas generals concern, especially the Talans since Gamilas is working on something like that...but the Terrons have it already?

It doesn't seem to concern Goer much for some reason. Maybe he wasn't paying attention. Though data on that weapon was circualted since the EX-178 knew about it.
Old 2013-02-10, 17:28   Link #1577
Scherzo09

Quote:
Massive rambling to follow......

We don't know much about the Interplanetary Wars. We can assume the UNCN was built up around ships designed for at least one of those wars as the Earth Cruisers and Battleships were built around 2170. Okita and his age group would have be young officers in the early 2160s.
I think before then, honestly. If I remember the short story from Episode 9 correctly, Terraformation of Mars was in full swing by the late 21st Century. I'm not saying they'd have capital ships by the turn of the 22nd Century, but more like smaller patrol vessels.

Sort of tertiary, but thinking the .UN's ascendancy probably comes from a series of Macross style unification wars in the the 21st Century. There seems to be now a united East Asian Federation.

Quote:
We know Mars was colonized and at least partly terriformed by the late 22nd century as we see cities and even an ocean of some sort in this series. Not much evidence of heavy Gamilas Planet Bombing, so we can assume it was abandoned before that, perhaps as a result of the last War prior to the Gamilas arrival (as Yamamoto described she was born during the last war and she's 19 as 2199 begins). So that war ended in the 2180s. Yamamoto says her family was forced to migrate to Earth so one assumed that the Mars colony was abandoned at that point aside from probably Earth military bases or Earth loyalists. (unless I misheard and it was her grandmother that was from Mars had migrated at the end of the last war)
I thought she said she was born after the war? Was thinking that war ended in the 2170s. Anyways I think most of the Martian infrastructure, like the Arcadia Por, was destroyed as part of a fleet action by Gamilas, and that any damage from the Interplanetary Wars was probably repaired by the time of their arrival.

Quote:
We know humans had at least one mining base in the Saturn system mining Cosmotite (a metal used in the construction of space age engine components at the very least). No world on if they had other bases around the other gas giants. We know they didn't know about the floating continent, but that was imported by the Gamilas at some point during the war. If the Earth has bases out there, they would have been destroyed or abandoned during the early stages of the war as the Earth Fleets couldn't defend them spread out like that.
If they had bases on something as tiny as Encleadus; I'd expect they'd also have outposts on Titan and Europa. Those too were probably destroyed by Gamilan fleet actions in the first couple years of the war, though they may have been abandoned anyways as the UN focused on protecting assets inside the Asteroid Belt.

[qoute]
Combat data suggests that the Earth Fleet, being native to the system and with their industry base there in system, originally outnumbered the Gamilas Fleet. But attrition eventually lead to the Earth Fleet at Pluto in 2199 being just 21 ships (1 battleship, 8 cruisers, and 12 destroyers). It is assumed that there were other designs (perhaps more modern than the Far Eastern (Japanese) ships) for the UN Fleets from at least the US and EU. These being the large industrial powers still in 2199 as evident from the amount of power they were providing for Yamato to ignite her engine for the first time.[/quote]

Was the first fleet the last UNCN Fleet remaining? It's sort of implied but it's hard for me to imagine just the Kirishima there defending the Earth. It also strikes me as weird that the UN's forces aren't standardized; East Asia seems to operate it's own indigenous designs. I think the Cosmo Falcons though are joint US/East Asian projects, like the F-2A Falcon Zero irl. At any it seems like besides the Yamato the UN was probably constructing a new generation of warships, which may be why the OK'd operation M.

It also makes me wonder just how extensive the Geo fronts are. Are they all interconnected? Plate tectonics would seem to make that hard.

Quote:
The larger number of Earth ships would slow down the Gamilas for a time. Perhaps the Planet Bombing was used to group of the Earth Fleet for ambushes by the Gamilas Fleet. It would take some firepower to take out a Planet Bomb, and the Gamilas could use that to target isolated UN Fleet elements or threaten other areas requiring UN command to decide to either intercept the Gamilas Fleet or the Planet Bomb. If they go after the fleet, the Planet Bomb hits Earth. It they go after the Bomb, the Gamilas Fleet jumps them and starts taking them out one at a time while they try to take down the Planet Bomb (this might have prevented some of the Planet Bombs from hitting Earth, but not enough of them, plus it would wear down the fleet over the years). The shock cannons being bow mounted also doesn't help since that would be the primary weapon to use against Planet Bombs and Gamilas warships alike.
It sounds like trying to intercept Planet Bombs was sort of a futile endeavor. The Kirishima doesn't even try to intercept it in episode 1. Though your right in thinking any attempts of trying to intercept it by fleet action would be chances for the Gamilans to pick them off. Planet Bombing though seems to generally be a terror weapon, to force humanity into submission. It makes me wonder what Gamilus' actual goal in the Sol System is. Yuki geussed that it was Gamilasforming the Earth to be habitable for them; but that doesn't seem to be the case seeing as Shultz refers to it as a 'Red Husk'. I think it may be a combination of Sol's resources, potential colonization after rehabilitating Earth (after we're all dead, though), and nipping in the bud a space-fairing civilization before they could become a problem for them.

It seems like before the series the Gamilans had been drawing down their forces in the Sol System, which had never been that impressive (by Gamilan standards) to begin with, as they percieved Terons to be on their last legs. The base on Jupiter seems like the first step towards colonizing the Sol System, but again it doesn't seem like something Dessler or the Gamilan Military Command ever took that seriously.

Quote:
No idea if the UN attempted to attack Pluto prior to Operation M. They didn't seem to know for sure where the Planet Bombs were coming from until Yamato spotted one being created (or right after it was created as they didn't notice the huge cannon that fired on it from the distance they were from the dwarf planet. As they were not intending to head towards it on their way out of the system due to time constraints). They knew the Gamilas had sort of colonized Pluto and where altering the envoroment of the dwarf planet since 2191.

We also know first contact was near Pluto in 2191.
I think they knew that Pluto was their Command Center for Sol operations; they just didn't know that Pluto was literally the location where they launched the planet bombs from. It was obviously know that they were leading the activities in the region, as Kodai was adamant about attacking the base in Episode 4.

Quote:

Schultz and his men were attached to Dommell's command at some point prior to them being under Goer's command from Balun. One wonders if Dommell's fleet was originally tasked with suppressing the Earth, but when it turned to a Planet Bombing campaign he was assigned elsewhere. The Zults personel remained behind under Shultz command under Goer's distant command of the Milky Way Theater of Operation (or something like that). It is wondered if this is a punishment assignment, or if this is a good posting for a second-class citizen as they are given full command of a system with a fleet to suppresss or dispose of the natives?
I don't Dommel was ever involved with the Sol campaign. It always strikes me as a backwater, dead-end position. Sounds more like Shultz's men at one point served under Dommel against White Comet before being reassigned to Earth. I think it's a bit of both reward and punishment, in a sense. It probably rewards their service against White Comet, but at the same time puts them in a position where they can never achieve any real glories or advance their position further.

Quote:
It is unclear what loses the Gamilas have sustained in the Sol System since 2191. The Jupiter Base Commander is rather confident that no Earth weapon could punch through their armor and that four ships was overkill verses one Earth ship. Though it is seen that at least Yukikaze could defeat Gamilas armor with torpedoes and Gamilas attack craft can be shot down with missiles and cannon fire from Earth fighters. Plus the Gamilas carrier was shot down by shell fire from Yamato (though that might be an entirely new thing).
I think in the early days of the war Gamilas probably did sustain notable loses, but as I said it seems like Gamilan armor had advanced over the course of the war. Why the Jupiter commander was so cocky, I don't know.

Quote:
Goer makes a similar boast that he could handle one or even two Earth ships with ease. We see no proof that he is incorrect as the outcome of that battle was decided by forces of nature. (Yamato's methods with dealing with massive number of enemies seems to be:
A) Warp/run.
B) Wave Motion Gun (they've not tried that yet in this series).
C) Pray for a miracle (to allow they to run or use the wave motion gun). or
D) have the enemy get distracted to the point they leave Yamato alone (orders from above in the chain of command).

So far Yamato has escaped combat with Gamilas Fleet elements (outside the Solar System) via use of the Wave Motion Gun. Neither use of the gun was directed at the enemy forces...but the results of the use of the weapon aided Yamato against the Gamilas both times. More data will be acquired about combat from Episodes 11 - 14 later. The teaser images suggest Yamato will need some miracles from episode 15 - 18 against Dommell's Fleet.
In that sense they're kinda like the Galactica; they're not going to want to sit around and try to engage an actual Gamilan fleet. So far at most they've either just fought squadrons or gotten lucky and destroyed the corpus of the Sol Occupation Fleet when it was at dock in Pluto.

Quote:
Spoiler for The elder Kodai?:
Spoiler for 'Ditto':

Oh and I so agree with a thing you said about 20 pages ago. One of the reasons I signed up for this board is because it's one of the few places where there is an active Yamato 2199 discussion. No one else in the West seems to be talking about it, which makes me a bit sad because I'd love for this to get a quality dub. It's pretty much what I wanted UC Gundam to be.
Old 2013-02-10, 20:12   Link #1578
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Spoiler for Mamoru Kodai:

One thing we are not sure about in this series run is just how they are going to handle any deaths of major characters. Or even if they will have any deaths of major characters. We know the Captain's health is an issue, but there is no way to be certain what road they will take this time.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2013-02-10 at 20:24.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 21:10   Link #1579
Scherzo09

Anyways, was thinking about a Potential dub; who would be y'alls preferred casting choices? Here's some of mine:

Yuri Lowenthal as Kodai
Laura Bailey as Yuki
Brina Palencia as Akira
John Swasey as Okita
Aaron Dismuke as Shima
Patrick Seitz as Kato
Crispin Freeman as Dessler
Monica Rial as The Nurse

Any suggestions?
Old 2013-02-10, 21:42   Link #1580
August138

Quote:
We know the UNCF was able to stop the Gamilas advance at the Second Battle of Mars (Operation K2)... The background notes suggest they were stopped by the use of the Earth battleships and cruisers' bow mounted Shock Cannons.
According to the series, it was a Positronic Beam, adapted from Gamilas tech, not Shock Cannons.

Quote:
Watching the trailer for episodes 11-14; have to say some of the stuff sounds rather friggin silly. Raise to Dimensional Periscope Depth? Dimensional Ballast? I know you want to invoke it being a submarine but seriously? Is Yamato going to use 'Dimensional Depth Charges'? Geez...
"Silly" or freakin' Cool? This is space opera adventure, if you want hard (boring) science, subscribe to Scientific American.

But, seriously, here's what the men who made the series had to say on the subject (Dimensional Subs first appeared in YAMATO III, 30+ years ago):

http://www.ourstarblazers.com/745_mechtalk/index.html

Scroll down to Point 3 for the details on the Dimensional Submarine.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato