AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-12-02, 23:21   Link #2021
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

The cheesiness of that 'QUALITY' translation by MOMO is beyond belief. I can't stand how the attacks were named at all...

with Haruhi, the 'H' remains, albeit the connection is weakened. At any rate, I understand that Japanese actually don't have alot of liberty with the Kanji subset that can be used for naming their children, not because the kanji doesn't exist but because from I remember they can only select from a preset.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-06, 12:44   Link #2022
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

lol, I got a mail from Kyon.

Everyone who applied to be a SOS-dan member at the official site (eons ago) got the first issue of "SOS-dan mail magazine" in their inbox today. Apparently Haruhi suddenly gave Kyon the order to write it up, at a time where everybody else has already forgot long ago that such a system even existed in the first place. Even the computer club was dragged into distributing the mail. That's Haruhi-quality for you.

The contents are no different than a regular newsletter, but written in Kyon's words. Kyon's comment about all the anime magazines with Haruhi on the cover made me laugh ("If they keep putting her up on covers here and there, Haruhi might get cocky and say something like "Next I'll go up on TIME magazine!", it's scary")

And the PC club's secret message at the end about a revenge at the end of the year sounds very interesting.

You gotta hand it to the production team, even their spam mail is fun to read.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 11:55   Link #2023
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
lol, I got a mail from Kyon.

Everyone who applied to be a SOS-dan member at the official site (eons ago) got the first issue of "SOS-dan mail magazine" in their inbox today. Apparently Haruhi suddenly gave Kyon the order to write it up, at a time where everybody else has already forgot long ago that such a system even existed in the first place. Even the computer club was dragged into distributing the mail. That's Haruhi-quality for you.

The contents are no different than a regular newsletter, but written in Kyon's words. Kyon's comment about all the anime magazines with Haruhi on the cover made me laugh ("If they keep putting her up on covers here and there, Haruhi might get cocky and say something like "Next I'll go up on TIME magazine!", it's scary")

And the PC club's secret message at the end about a revenge at the end of the year sounds very interesting.

You gotta hand it to the production team, even their spam mail is fun to read.
I hear the PC club had placed a secret link inside the website for anyone interested in their "revenge".

Also, in the membership application page, there is now a new option for you to "Cancel Membership", AKA "Receive the Death Penalty".
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 14:24   Link #2024
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
I hear the PC club had placed a secret link inside the website for anyone interested in their "revenge".

Also, in the membership application page, there is now a new option for you to "Cancel Membership", AKA "Receive the Death Penalty".
Whatever it is, it's going to happen on 12/29 (since the URL was http://www.haruhi.tv/comic1229.htm ). The first day of Comiket...

The president getting revenge on Haruhi...

Ero-doujinshi popped into mind first ^^;
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 16:44   Link #2025
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
Whatever it is, it's going to happen on 12/29 (since the URL was http://www.haruhi.tv/comic1229.htm ). The first day of Comiket...

The president getting revenge on Haruhi...

Ero-doujinshi popped into mind first ^^;
This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I love this whole franchise like a cat loves yarn. This stuff is made of fun and win.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-08, 21:27   Link #2026
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Suzumiya Haruhi Character Marriage Prospects, Version 1.0.

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen.

The following topic has enjoyed some moderate success on the Mai Hime/Otome boards, that of discussing various appeal/lack of appeal of Suzumiya Haruhi characters as (fantasy) life partners.

Until this actually gets a thread of its own, this is more or less a "Beta Test."

Each entry should include the following categories:

Name:
Looks:
Personality:
Intelligence:
Economics:
Competition:
Warrior Skills:
Housekeeping Skills:
Sex:
Father/Mother Material:
Overall:

Ready, Steady, Let's Kick it off!!
__________________________________________________ _______________

Name:
Asahina Mikuru

Looks:
To quote from the novel, with a little personal spin: "YOWZA!! What a Looker!! Her head is crowned with a cascading waterfall of rich chesnut colored hair, beneath which is an adorable face that can have her easily mistaken for a grade schooler. Dead center are a pair of big, watery puppy-dog eyes that cry out "Please Protect Me." This appearance alone is enough to make most men hug her and say "Of course I'll take you home", even when you do not put her abundant mammery capacity into consideration. It should be noted that her future adult counterpart, though more beautiful and somewhat mature, is no less adorable.
Personality:
Innocence, thy name is Mikuru. Trusting, polite, kind and above all considerate, this constituent of purity is therefore quite helpless against forceful personalities of deities like Suzumiya Haruhi. Painfully shy, she has an endearing tendency to weep when her appeal to the males of our species garners less than wanted and more than excessive attention. Warm and honest, it is a rare friend you can find who you can confide in better than her. Thankfully, though more experienced in life and less sexually-shy, her adult counterpart is no less sweet and kind. The sight of her nostalgically hugging her "old" Maid Costume really brings a warm breeze into one's heart. Her moral and loyal nature ensures that unlike many other time travellers, she would never bend the past to selfishly accomodate to personal needs and agendas.
Intelligence:
Mikuru is an adequate secret agent in the fact that she does what she is told and follows textbook procedures to the letter. However, adequate hardly equates to competent. Any intelligence she may possess is eclipsed by her unassertive and considerate nature. Unlike Haruhi, Mikuru-Chan would never assert, and therefore carry out, any opinion at the detriment of other people's well being. Mikuru-Oneesan on the other hand, carrys herself a dignity and confidence that implies that she has learnt much more, and is quite capable of handling the complexities of life.
Economics:
It is quite certain that by today's standards, Special Agents like Mikuru-Chan are paid an arm and a leg. Forget about asking her to tell you future lottery numbers though, first of all its mean and second of all "It's Classified Information."
Competition:
An entire legion of adolescent males that is the population of her school. It has been noted that there is an unspoken oath amongst all the boys for collective vengeance should any single male dare to "have his way" with her. Of course, Mikuru being Mikuru, is scared off by such excessive attention. Kyon's affections, on the other-hand, being moderate and genuine, is fully reciprocated by her. It is quite clear on both sides that their feelings for each other are a hair's-width of crossing from platonic-respect into romantic-love, if only the necessity of sating Haruhi's rage and boredom was not in the way. Oh, and note that Haruhi's overbearing affections can be interpreted (especially amongst Yuri fans) of repressed "feelings" for our adorable sempai.
Warrior Skills:
Oh deary me. She is such a soft and kind girl that to quote Kyon when the SOS was attacked by the giant cricket "I doubt she will be of any use even if she had a ray-gun from the future." Besides, if you REALLY love Mikuru-Chan, it is YOUR duty to protect her, oh Gallant Sir-Knight!!
Housekeeping Skills:
Through Haruhi's grueling routine of enforcing a Maid Personality unto her, Mikuru-Chan is said to make one smashing cup of green tea, one of Kyon's few true genuine delights in the SOS.
Sex:
For a girl who so easily incites feelings to perform such acts, to even approach Mikuru-Chan about such a matter would quite likely drive her into tears of terror, not to mention earn the collective wrath of 300 boys. Even if you somehow manage to initiate the act, her frailty would ensure that for both to be satisfied, you have to be nothing but slow, gentle and considerate.
Father/Mother Material:
If it is the Mikuru-Chan of the "present" she has so much growing-up to do that quite likely by the time her children can walk, THEY will be the parents of the relationship. The futuristic Mikuru-Oneesan, on the other-hand, is an endless resevoir of love, warmth, care, consideration and strength that will ensure your children to grow up to be just and kind, sweet and cute as she is.
Overall:
In the ragtag collection of misfits that is the SOS, Asahina Mikuru-Chan is easily the best catch of all. Incomparably sweet and endlessly huggable, protecting her from the harsh world will be a full time job, though it will be one that most men would gladly perform. Wait a few years however (who knows how long, as Mikuru-Oneesan stated that her "current" age is "classified information" and YOWZA you'll have a lady and a half by your side for the rest of your life.... no matter what timeline you're on.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Let the Fun Begin.

Last edited by Ronin Aquila; 2006-12-08 at 21:57.
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-15, 20:47   Link #2027
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Is there any slight possibility that if there is a second season, I and others might be able to enjoy it without the internet being flooded with silliness everywhere I look and it being brought up when I'm really not in the mood to hear about how awesome it is for reasons that don't convey awesomness in any way, but instead something about how the poster liked a particular pose and how it made the episode perfect, when the reasons for why a particular episode may actually be good are largely ignored and my watching of other anime suffers because it has to be compared to Haruhi every five or so posts which may consist of five or so strings of letters of which a couple are actually real words and the rest are FTW, KyoAni, OMG, LOL, HAWT, ZOMG or a combination thereof. Hold on that gave me carple tunnel syndrom symptoms.

That would be awesome cause Jeez Louise ya guys all turned the board into an AOL chatroom for 3 months the last time the show was aired and it nearly drove me and several other people I know from other boards insane to the point where me and my friend on Anime Academy occassionally flipped out on some people on our respective boards. He may not be sorry, but I am, and I really don't want all that to happen again for everyone's sake. Thanks.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-15, 21:05   Link #2028
killeraargh
Yuki FTW!

Send a message via MSN to killeraargh
Um. That was hard to decipher..>.>

But in answer to your question, probably not. There are stupid people everywhere, and the best thing to do is just ignore them...

And, I know this is a bit....a lot....slow, but my Mandarin name's quite retarded too..>.>
killeraargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-15, 22:12   Link #2029
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Is there any slight possibility that if there is a second season, I and others might be able to enjoy it without the internet being flooded with silliness everywhere I look and it being brought up when I'm really not in the mood to hear about how awesome it is for reasons that don't convey awesomness in any way, but instead something about how the poster liked a particular pose and how it made the episode perfect, when the reasons for why a particular episode may actually be good are largely ignored and my watching of other anime suffers because it has to be compared to Haruhi every five or so posts which may consist of five or so strings of letters of which a couple are actually real words and the rest are FTW, KyoAni, OMG, LOL, HAWT, ZOMG or a combination thereof. Hold on that gave me carple tunnel syndrom symptoms.
If you don't want to read people talking about the anime, don't read the thread. Nobody's forcing you to.
Old 2006-12-15, 22:37   Link #2030
DrakeNavarone
Fairy Tale Transparently

Send a message via AIM to DrakeNavarone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Aquila View Post

Warrior Skills:
Oh deary me. She is such a soft and kind girl that to quote Kyon when the SOS was attacked by the giant cricket "I doubt she will be of any use even if she had a ray-gun from the future." Besides, if you REALLY love Mikuru-Chan, it is YOUR duty to protect her, oh Gallant Sir-Knight!!
No mention of the devastating might that is the Mikuru Beam?
DrakeNavarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-16, 00:00   Link #2031
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka View Post
If you don't want to read people talking about the anime, don't read the thread. Nobody's forcing you to.
Except its not quite that easy with certain shows. Certain shows have a way of creeping into other facets of the internet. I could be on a thread looking for info on an RPG on Gamefaqs and the series would come up last summer, it was ridiculous. I could be trying to read about Eureka 7 and there it was being compared to Haruhi and how Eureka 7 wasn't as good. I could be on a blog looking for reviews on anything and it would be compared to Haruhi like it was the gold standard that everything had to be measured too and it would kill the discussion almost every time. I like how things are now a seperation of Haruhi and other shows. I want Haruhi when I'm looking for Haruhi and other shows when I'm looking for other shows.
Old 2006-12-16, 00:20   Link #2032
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I perfectly understand where you're coming from, Kai. Lord knows I've run into that plenty of times in various situations...

But alas, it'll be better if you start prepparing yourself for the worst. There are fans, and then there are fanboys. When it comes to big-name shows, you can't have one without the other.

Note I'm not insulting the Haruhi fanbase, of which I'm a part of. (albeit, not to as much of an extent as others ) I'm just stating a fact. There will be Haruhi forum spamming everywhere. This I can guarantee.
Old 2006-12-16, 00:33   Link #2033
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

For once, I actually agree with Kaioshin. I love Haruhi, and I don't really mind that everyone else does, but like he said, it has no business coming up in places where it just plain shouldn't.
Speaking of annoyance, I was thrilled when I found a Haruhi fansite in English (which shall remain nameless) very early in the series' run, but then I was largely disappointed when I found that the site was largely inhabited by idiots, had a dedicated 'H' image board, and ran polls to the effect of "what underwear color in the series is your favorite?" on the main effing page.
My piece has been said.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-16, 02:15   Link #2034
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Okay, I get it. More succinctly, you're trying to say, "Yes, I know Haruhi is the best anime ever, so please stop mentioning it in unrelated posts." Good point.
Old 2006-12-16, 07:59   Link #2035
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka View Post
Okay, I get it. More succinctly, you're trying to say, "Yes, I know Haruhi is the best anime ever, so please stop mentioning it in unrelated posts." Good point.
If that's what it takes I'll go with that, but I have no real best anime ever only a personal favourite and thats Zeta Gundam.
Old 2006-12-16, 13:39   Link #2036
Xargs

Haruhi appears in Gaza strip

Someone from another forum posted this picture from a French newspaper. I can't read French, but it looks to be about some protest in the Gaza strip. In the picture, a little girl is holding a picket sign with Haruhi's picture on it.

If anyone knows Arabic, I'd be curious to know what the sign says. Or maybe the French article can shed some light on it.

Xargs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-16, 14:23   Link #2037
Skane
Anime Snark

Is that an actual scan or a photoshop?

Hmm...
Old 2006-12-16, 14:24   Link #2038
Kazu-kun

I hope you don't take that seriously. That's obviously fake, just a joke!
Old 2006-12-16, 14:29   Link #2039
Skane
Anime Snark

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt first, but with much guarded cynicism.

Narf.
Old 2006-12-17, 23:18   Link #2040
orz

http://www.haruhi.tv/
404 now XD
orz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen