AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad series - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 280 64.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 22.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 7.19%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 2.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.23%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.16%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-09-24, 16:42   Link #241
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
I sort of wish I knew a little more of what the hell Kotomi did after.
Old 2009-09-24, 18:29   Link #242
Lilith
Your average fangirl

I regret missing the past discussion threads.

I rated it 8. The negatives are:
-Sometimes the comedy was repeated and out of place. Ruined the mood.
-I don't mind the fantasy element, but I would've preferred having the light orbs cure Nagisa from a fatal coma or something rather than rewinding events, which made the last 5 episodes "didn't happen"... or something.
-I really hate the ending song "Torch". I will never forget how dumbfounded I was when I heard it after Nagisa's death in Ep. 16. Horrible.

But I love CLANNAD, I really enjoyed it. Tomoya made me cry so much, it's amazing how attached I became to him. Tomoya x Nagisa OTP! >_<
Old 2009-09-24, 19:39   Link #243
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
I regret missing the past discussion threads.

I rated it 8. The negatives are:
-Sometimes the comedy was repeated and out of place. Ruined the mood.
-I don't mind the fantasy element, but I would've preferred having the light orbs cure Nagisa from a fatal coma or something rather than rewinding events, which made the last 5 episodes "didn't happen"... or something.
-I really hate the ending song "Torch". I will never forget how dumbfounded I was when I heard it after Nagisa's death in Ep. 16. Horrible.

But I love CLANNAD, I really enjoyed it. Tomoya made me cry so much, it's amazing how attached I became to him. Tomoya x Nagisa OTP! >_<
I guess you did miss a lot of discussions that went on earlier because this was one of the major topics. Just to inform you, all of what we saw happened, a lot of people make the mistake of assuming that none of the tragic events happened when the final episode clearly states that Tomoya has memories of it. Well the comedy was good for me and I'm not sure where it was out of place but I guess it depends on the person.

I completely agree with your comment about Torch, horrible decision to leave that ED during some of the most emotionally intense episodes.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 02:43   Link #244
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
when the final episode clearly states that Tomoya has memories of it.
Thanks, I was too emotional to pay attention to this important detail in episode 24: "I think it really did happen".

After spedning time reading the topics, it does make sense now. But still, I hoped the second chance was something else other than rewinding events and re-livings with different circumstances.

Sorry for beating a dead horse. I'll move along and continue dwelling in the aftermath of CLANNAD. <3

Last edited by Lilith; 2009-09-25 at 03:17.
Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 08:05   Link #245
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Haha.

In the VN, it makes a whole lot more sense.

The whole point of the orbs, functionally, was obviously to provide replayability. The After Story part of the VN does not unlock until you've finished all the School Life routes. Once you get to the end of After Story (first playthrough) you are told about these lights and that you should collect them.

Story wise though, both worlds are much more integrated. The whole connection is made very clearly; something which I think the anime missed until Yukine's arc, when Tomoya picks up the orb and Yukine explains the legend. The Illusionary World in the VN, however, intertwines with only Nagisa's route; you do not have it in any other route. This automatically makes Nagisa 'special'. Yes, it is partly Nagisa fanboy-ism, but the Illusionary World is almost a Nagisa exclusive (if you count Yukine's explanation of the town legend). Although others come up with ideas ABOUT the illusionary world, the only route where you consistently throughout the game encounter it is Nagisa's.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 03:20   Link #246
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Blargh.

I'ma double post cos I think it's about damn time I write something about this.

Anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haha. Clannad.

It was the first anime I actually watched seriously.

The only other anime I had ever finished at that time was Eureka Seven, and even that was a stretch for me. I didn't find it that compelling after a while.

But this...this, I could use to write essay after essay about for English. It teaches you so much, it uses so much at its disposal so well that it doesn't come off as plot device, but as something that feels right for the characters. The emotional intensity, although slightly lessened from the VN, feel EXACTLY the same as the VN anyway. (Weird, I know, deal. :P)
The pacing that allowed the emotional attatchment to the main characters was very well done; everything happened as it sohuld have - either sudden or smoothly, it didn't matter. Nagisa's death scene in the VN was already heartbreaking; in the anime, animated, with voices, just made it so much harder.

The story as well, is something you can relate to. It teaches you that everyone needs someone else to rely upon, no matter what. From Tomoya needing Nagisa and the others to resolve his problems (and vice versa), to Ushio needed her papa (T___T), this lesson resounded throughout the series.

Also one more thing: NAGISA IS DAMN CUTE.

NAGISA IS ALSO DAMN WELL THE BEST MATCH FOR TOMOYA.

SCREW YOU KYOUxTOMOYA AND TOMOYOxTOMOYA SHIPPERS.

NAGISAxTOMOYA FOR LIFE.

Why?

They helped each other grow.

Hell, I've played some of Tomoyo After, and I'm just not seeing the same growth between the two.

And from what I've read from reviews and things, it doesn't seem that way either.

Tomoya was cynical, sarcastic, yet kind.
He became caring, wise, content with life, AND kind.
Without Nagisa, I doubt any of the changes in him would have arisen.

Hell, in Tomoyo After, even from playing the Tomoyo arc in the VN, it just doesn't resonate. Perhaps it's the H that doesn't make it seem like emotional love (even though it is), but Tomoyo and Kyou just don't have that...positive outlook on life like Nagisa. Both of them got depressed; but neither of them picked themselves up without Tomoya. Nagisa got depressed, she got picked up by Tomoya, THEN resolved never to get that depressed again. It is that determination to get through life no matter what, from her courage-gaining "Anpan!" to her resolve to never cry again, that is really why, Tomoya x Nagisa forever.

And quickly; Animation/Voice Acting/whatever else: Very well executed. Scripting for some arcs could have done better, especially Sunohara or Yukine arc, those came out rather badly. Also they stopped the Nagisa and Tomoya love story JUST for 2 arcs, which is stark odd, because you can't expect even Nagisa and Tomoya to put their love on hold indefinitely just for that. (well, actually you can, but still...it's kind of weird.)

Also, WHERE IS THE TOMOYA AND NAGISA KISS! IT WAS IN THE FRAKKING VN GIVE ME MY ANIMATED KISS!

Overall: 10/10. It's what got me into anime for good.

Oh crap and about Torch: Yes it was a bad choice for some eps.

However, Chiisana Tenohira was only EVER played at the end of the VN and I PREFER it to be at the very end, rather than at the end of each episode.

Could they have made a better ED? Probably. There's a lyric'ed Shining in the Sky ffs. They should have used that, simply as an uplifting, yet kind of sad, ending for AS.

Last edited by Khu; 2009-10-08 at 03:38.
Old 2009-10-08, 06:10   Link #247
calorie

About that thing you said, how it got you into anime for good - I can totally relate to that. Before watching Clannad I had watched only two animes, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Dragonball Z (in my teenage years). Now yes, at the time I had already decided to make anime a sort of a hobby because I'm a sucker for quality animation and the whole japanese culture/humor/narration style was pretty amusing and new. But honestly, I thought it was only a matter of time before that started to bore me.

Clannad made me realize just how high animes can soar. Of course, there's a lot of junk out there as well but you know, there's stuff like that in every type of art. Not every song or book or painting is good right? When I hear people dismiss animes as something only emos/losers watch to bathe in their misery it's just annoying as hell.

Uh anyway, this post was rather a digression from the topic, I simply wanted to share some admiration for Clannad.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 17:13   Link #248
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post

Also one more thing: NAGISA IS DAMN CUTE.

NAGISA IS ALSO DAMN WELL THE BEST MATCH FOR TOMOYA.

SCREW YOU KYOUxTOMOYA AND TOMOYOxTOMOYA SHIPPERS.

NAGISAxTOMOYA FOR LIFE.

Why?

They helped each other grow.

Hell, I've played some of Tomoyo After, and I'm just not seeing the same growth between the two.

And from what I've read from reviews and things, it doesn't seem that way either.

Tomoya was cynical, sarcastic, yet kind.
He became caring, wise, content with life, AND kind.
Without Nagisa, I doubt any of the changes in him would have arisen.
Hey, hey! While I agree that a lot of the things that make Clannad good aren't possible without Nagisa, I will have to say a few things.
Quote:
Hell, in Tomoyo After, even from playing the Tomoyo arc in the VN, it just doesn't resonate. Perhaps it's the H that doesn't make it seem like emotional love (even though it is), but Tomoyo and Kyou just don't have that...positive outlook on life like Nagisa. Both of them got depressed; but neither of them picked themselves up without Tomoya. Nagisa got depressed, she got picked up by Tomoya, THEN resolved never to get that depressed again. It is that determination to get through life no matter what, from her courage-gaining "Anpan!" to her resolve to never cry again, that is really why, Tomoya x Nagisa forever.
I've never played the visual novels, but from what I gathered from Tomoyo's extra episode, she was the one that was picking Tomoya up. From the main series, it doesn't really seem like that kind of depression would slow her down. Understandably, the anime can't show any romance between the two, but Tomoyo's more like "ah ok" while Kyou and Ryou are BAWWWW lol.

You could argue that Tomoyo doesn't need Tomoya as much, which is really an argument both for and against.

You also can't ignore the bond between Tomoya and Kotomi. Despite the lack of romance in that arc, I can still tell. It the end it is simply diffrent. Of course, I won't argue that Nagisa's story is overall superior to the others but if anything Clannad has it that nothing is really left up to fate. You can make something out of any situation.

Quote:
Also, WHERE IS THE TOMOYA AND NAGISA KISS! IT WAS IN THE FRAKKING VN GIVE ME MY ANIMATED KISS!
Apparently, kisses don't exist in this world But yea, what was up with that?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 20:30   Link #249
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I've never played the visual novels, but from what I gathered from Tomoyo's extra episode, she was the one that was picking Tomoya up. From the main series, it doesn't really seem like that kind of depression would slow her down. Understandably, the anime can't show any romance between the two, but Tomoyo's more like "ah ok" while Kyou and Ryou are BAWWWW lol.
Tomoyo never showed any romantic interest in Tomoya in the main series. As evidenced by an exchange with Sunohara:

Sunohara: "You're not really interested in Okazaki, are you?"
Tomoyo: "No, I do not feel I am leaning that way. However, this emotion could be described as interested."

Now you can't ignore the last part, but I think that was more out of pity/disgust for Tomoya's ways.

Quote:
You could argue that Tomoyo doesn't need Tomoya as much, which is really an argument both for and against.
Well she doesn't need him so much as she has her own way forward, but then she also needs him fro emotional support. So both sides twill ignore that.

Quote:
You also can't ignore the bond between Tomoya and Kotomi. Despite the lack of romance in that arc, I can still tell. It the end it is simply diffrent. Of course, I won't argue that Nagisa's story is overall superior to the others but if anything Clannad has it that nothing is really left up to fate. You can make something out of any situation.
Well, Kotomi doesn't really make any emotional impact apart from making Tomoya D'AWW, and remember some childhood memories. Now I'm not trying to belittle the Kotomi arc, but what did it really do to Tomoya? If you think of it that way, he just regained a friend he'll probably have forever. Which isn't saying that much since he'll have all of them as friends forever I guess. I guess the ending for Kotomi's arc, the difference would be that she was probably the most tragic of all; all of them had to work together to make her realise what the world was about (and not just her father's theory). The letter and things from her parents were the icing on the cake.

And it's not that Nagisa's story that's SUPERIOR, as such, it's just that the two work together so much for other people, and then for each other. Also it's quite a bit longer. Perhaps if we'd seen more with each heroine?

Quote:
Apparently, kisses don't exist in this world But yea, what was up with that?
Yeah SURE they don't exist. How the fuck did they get the mood to damn well procreate ==" (no pun intended, just realised)
Old 2009-10-09, 01:27   Link #250
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Tomoyo never showed any romantic interest in Tomoya in the main series. As evidenced by an exchange with Sunohara:

Sunohara: "You're not really interested in Okazaki, are you?"
Tomoyo: "No, I do not feel I am leaning that way. However, this emotion could be described as interested."

Now you can't ignore the last part, but I think that was more out of pity/disgust for Tomoya's ways.
Hmm, Tomoyo also said to Nagisa "I'm glad it was you" Maybe it was just out of happiness for them, but I just wasn't that sure when i watched it.

But anyhow, I'm not much of a "shipper". I like Tomoyo better, but I think Tomoya and Nagisa are a better couple.

Quote:
Well, Kotomi doesn't really make any emotional impact apart from making Tomoya D'AWW, and remember some childhood memories. Now I'm not trying to belittle the Kotomi arc, but what did it really do to Tomoya? If you think of it that way, he just regained a friend he'll probably have forever. Which isn't saying that much since he'll have all of them as friends forever I guess.
I don't know. To me, he saved her. It was a start of him not just thinking of himself and how the world sucks, but to live for others too. This development started in the beginning of the series, but it really starts to show here.

Quote:
And it's not that Nagisa's story that's SUPERIOR, as such, it's just that the two work together so much for other people, and then for each other. Also it's quite a bit longer. Perhaps if we'd seen more with each heroine?
IMO, it's superior because well, there aren't that many romances that show them getting together, getting married, and having a child. And going in these things in depth. It's just so much more involving then many other romantic relationships in any form of media. It's true that if the cast members were given that kind of spotlight it'd be different, but Nagisa and Tomoya's relationship is what defines the series to me.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-12-03, 23:12   Link #251
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well... this is probably going to make for a weird first post on this Clannad subforum.

I actually just recently started watching... and finished watching... Clannad and Clannad: After Story.

With this in mind, I intend to do a 2-part blog review on it.

Part 1 is here.

Part 1 focuses on Season 1 of Clannad, while Part 2 will deal solely with After Story.

It's a bit long, but I think that most Clannad fans will like what I have to say about the anime. For those who read it, please tell me what you think!
Old 2009-12-03, 23:16   Link #252
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well... this is probably going to be make for a weird first post on this Clannad subforum.

I actually just recently started watching... and finished watching... Clannad and Clannad: After Story.

With this in mind, I intend to do a 2-part blog review on it.

Part 1 is here.

Part 1 focuses on Season 1 of Clannad, while Part 2 will deal solely with After Story.

It's a bit long, but I think that most Clannad fans will like what I have to say about the anime. For those who read it, please tell me what you think!
Well this is exciting because you'll come to learn that I'm one of, if not, the biggest Clannad fan around these boards I'm always excited to hear new reviews of this wonderful experience. I'll gladly read your first part review but I'll be anticipating the review for the best of the series, which is it's second season.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-12-04, 01:00   Link #253
WordShaker
In scientific terms only.

Send a message via MSN to WordShaker
Your decision to watch Clannad and Clannad: Afterstory is an awesome decision, by the by.

I read the blog post and I have to say that I largely agree (though, Kotomi was one of my least favorite characters...). I generally started watching anime in about the same way you did--through lots of action-packed, fast paced anime. KyoAni was probably my first broach into slice-of-life series. Clannad, therefore, takes a pretty lofty place in my mind for being such a great anime.

But, as DeX said, it's Afterstory that will really get you going. While it may start out just a tad bit slow, though I liked it, if only for how it slowly reintroduced us to the characters, the driving theme of Clannad will shine through without much delay and with a lot of aplomb, I assure you.
WordShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 01:32   Link #254
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

I played the VN of Clannad, then decided to watch the anime.

Clannad the anime got me into anime. lols.

Before I'd watched a few series, but not really anything that held me (Negima for a while...just cos of the girls...lol ) until Clannad came along.

Then I started expanding. ^^
Old 2009-12-04, 12:36   Link #255
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Well this is exciting because you'll come to learn that I'm one of, if not, the biggest Clannad fan around these boards I'm always excited to hear new reviews of this wonderful experience. I'll gladly read your first part review but I'll be anticipating the review for the best of the series, which is it's second season.
Thanks a lot! I'll make sure to put up a link to Part 2 of my review once it's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassupimviet View Post
Your decision to watch Clannad and Clannad: Afterstory is an awesome decision, by the by.
Thanks, and it was a good decision, yeah.

Quote:

I read the blog post and I have to say that I largely agree (though, Kotomi was one of my least favorite characters...).
Well, Kotomi does kind of fade a fair bit after her own arc, I'll admit.

Quote:
I generally started watching anime in about the same way you did--through lots of action-packed, fast paced anime. KyoAni was probably my first broach into slice-of-life series. Clannad, therefore, takes a pretty lofty place in my mind for being such a great anime.

But, as DeX said, it's Afterstory that will really get you going. While it may start out just a tad bit slow, though I liked it, if only for how it slowly reintroduced us to the characters, the driving theme of Clannad will shine through without much delay and with a lot of aplomb, I assure you.
Thanks for the encouragement.

I really liked Episode 1 of After Story, actually. It made great use of the full cast, and is the best baseball-oriented anime episode I've seen. I liked how it actually had bunts, double plays, and genuine baseball strategy.
Old 2009-12-04, 14:58   Link #256
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

I really liked Episode 1 of After Story, actually. It made great use of the full cast, and is the best baseball-oriented anime episode I've seen. I liked how it actually had bunts, double plays, and genuine baseball strategy.
Oh, I already responded to your blog post over there. I had to use the IE tab extension in firefox because it wouldn't let me post a comment in firefox... but fortunately I had cut and paste and went ahead and posted in IE. If you link another one I'm just gonna respond here.

And yes, I too like episode 1 because it was an episode that made use of the full cast. If After Story had any flaws, this was probaly one of the bigger ones-- it neglected a lot of its cast. Considering the first season did such a good job in building up that cast, it's a bit jarring when a lot of them don't even get a passable resolution except some vague insuation near the end.

It is of course a double edged sword of extreme focus, typical of Key stories. A very narrow focus will give a deeper story than a story that goes running around trying to fit all 3259023 characters in. But I definitely think there could have been better balance and was one of my disappointments about AS.

Clannad:AS is still one of my favorites, but I have to say that School Life in some ways is better than After Story, even if After Story is a superior story overall.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-12-04, 15:05   Link #257
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Well this is exciting because you'll come to learn that I'm one of, if not, the biggest Clannad fan around these boards
If there wasn't a Cross Game out there you'd hear hell from me just for this statement.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 15:34   Link #258
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
If there wasn't a Cross Game out there you'd hear hell from me just for this statement.

Cross Game is still fair game to become a top favorite considering it hasn't ended yet, so watch out

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-12-04, 17:58   Link #259
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ Aaaaah I dunno you guys. I mean Cross Game is stunningly brilliant and all but I feel like it's comparing apples to oranges.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-04, 20:13   Link #260
mammothb

you cant really compare as they are sort of different genres?
mammothb is offline   Reply With Quote