AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2004-09-30, 07:46   Link #221
Sydney2K

Send a message via ICQ to Sydney2K Send a message via AIM to Sydney2K Send a message via MSN to Sydney2K Send a message via Yahoo to Sydney2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
Spoiler for Del Rey readers!:
Spoiler:
Sydney2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 18:02   Link #222
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihiman
So whos was it that was gonna translate??? anyways.... haven't I seen u on the forums.... oh well~~ btw 70 is the last translation for konayuki right??
VMS and this other guy will pick up on the scanslation for the GCH forum, so don't worry, there will still be Chinese scanslations (just no more funny side commentaries). And yes, 70 will be the last for Konayuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney2K
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Del Ray readers:
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 19:51   Link #223
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoukamu
I know what I'm referring to might have long since passed away, but I was reading the first pages 1-5 and I couldn't help but be disturbed by "Snoopy"s words. About 5-70 percent why Japan even has hentai, and mangas like Ken Akamatsu's is because of the high suicide and stress rate Japanese citizens recieve. As the 2nd smartest country in the world, and being one of the words largest technological suppliers and creators, I don't see why we cant save a couple human lives by letting them vent off their rage on fighting video games, and read stimulating manga just so they don't DIE.
I don't mind henti/ecchi stuffs to begin with, and if they save lives by reliving stress, then all the more reason to watch them. XD
Old 2004-09-30, 22:45   Link #224
Sydney2K

Send a message via ICQ to Sydney2K Send a message via AIM to Sydney2K Send a message via MSN to Sydney2K Send a message via Yahoo to Sydney2K
I don't know; perhaps it might be better if you reposted it as its own thread, to stop this one going wildly off topic?

Widya Santoso
Old 2004-10-01, 00:57   Link #225
USCPharmacist

oops I thought the spoiler botton works? Must something wrong with my comp or I am really careless.....sorry about that, let me try that again (already piss off someone else in the Madlax forum for spoiling the last episode )

edit: crap I guess I've been using the wrong way to make spoiler botton, can someone tell me how to do it?
USCPharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-01, 02:19   Link #226
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCPharmacist
oops I thought the spoiler botton works? Must something wrong with my comp or I am really careless.....sorry about that, let me try that again (already piss off someone else in the Madlax forum for spoiling the last episode )

edit: crap I guess I've been using the wrong way to make spoiler botton, can someone tell me how to do it?
[ spoiler ]"post"[ / spoiler ]

Just remove the spaces in the bold tags. If you're still not sure, click on the reply button on this post, and see what gets included in the quote.

Spoiler for This is a test spoiler:

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-01, 05:21   Link #227
Sydney2K

Quote:
sorry about that, let me try that again (already piss off someone else in the Madlax forum for spoiling the last episode )
Hmmmm... wouldn't want to piss them off... same with the Noir and Gunslinger Girl forums... they'd put a contract on you...
Quote:
Don't forget to fix your previous post when you learn how! ?:-)

Widya Santoso
Old 2004-10-01, 05:58   Link #228
Sydney2K

Quote:
VMS and this other guy will pick up on the scanslation for the GCH forum, so don't worry, there will still be Chinese scanslations (just no more funny side commentaries). And yes, 70 will be the last for Konayuki.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler for Del Rey readers:

BTW, it's Del Rey.

Widya Santoso
Old 2004-10-01, 06:10   Link #229
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Hmmm, is that going to affect the supply of raw scans to Negima Ahead? (Or were they translations? I can't read them anyway.)
There won't be any problems with raw supply, but I think Negima Ahead will either start their own scanslation or collaborate with VMS's release.

Quote:

Quote:
BTW, it's Del Rey.
Ah, thanks for the correction; I don't buy English manga so I'm not familiar with its name.
Old 2004-10-01, 07:50   Link #230
Sydney2K

Quote:
Spoiler for Volume 3:

Widya Santoso
Old 2004-10-01, 08:31   Link #231
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Spoiler for Volume 3:
Spoiler for Volume 3:

Quote:
Spoiler for Volume 3:
Spoiler for Volume 3:

Quote:
Spoiler for Volume 3:
Spoiler for Volume 3:
Old 2004-10-01, 11:51   Link #232
Diaphanus
Usor Linguae Latinae

You all have lost me! I guess I'll have to wait until I get done reading volume 3, eh?

I've noticed that a certain fan-translated version of Chapter 10 shows "SAGITA MAGIKA!" instead of the proper Sagitta Magica (Magical Arrow). Another chapter's translation shows these: "Elven spirits of the wind, become a seal and bind my enemy! (Undekim spiritis aeris wincurm fientis iminicum caputent!)" and "(Sagitaur magika Air Captorae)." My inner Latinist doesn't like that.

Anyway, I've written some technical comments on the Latium Lexicon Negimarium in the English version of volume 2. Should I post them?

Last edited by Diaphanus; 2004-10-03 at 10:34.
Diaphanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-01, 13:36   Link #233
USCPharmacist

spoiler for anyone who hasn't read 69th hours yet
Spoiler:

Last edited by USCPharmacist; 2004-10-01 at 14:11.
USCPharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-01, 16:55   Link #234
Sydney2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphanus
You all have lost me! I guess I'll have to wait until I get done reading volume 3, eh?

<CLIP>

Anyway, I wrote some technical comments on the Latium Lexicon Negimarium in the English version of volume 2. Should I post them?
Yeah, I think some of us are probably whetting your chops, as far ahead as we are. Just think, a year from now you can revisit this part of the thread and make your comments on it!

Yes, please post them. It's useful havin' a Latin' spoutin' manga fan' to give us some classical l'arnin'

"Ooh arr, we be der Neggiemah mahhngah fahhnbois, dat wot we arr."
Old 2004-10-01, 17:21   Link #235
Sydney2K

Quote:
spoiler for anyone who hasn't read 69th hours yet
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
<CLIPped subjectively to make USCPharmacist look bad> Personally I like to see the girls fight so I don't like the idea that much (I'm sure that's not Mr. A ideal either eheheh) What do you guys think?
What do I think? I think you're perverted... cat fights, indeed!

Widya Santoso
Old 2004-10-01, 18:15   Link #236
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Spoiler for 69th hour:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-03, 13:20   Link #237
Diaphanus
Usor Linguae Latinae

Originally, I meant to write "Anyway, I have some technical comments on the Latium Lexicon Negimarium in the English version of volume 2." Later, I made a change to my previous post. That's surprising, though. I don't usually make such mistakes. It's an anomaly.

I found a Japanese site that lists many of the Latin phrases and sentences that have been used so far. Most of them are pretty easy for me to figure out. There are some Greek words in there. They seem to be Kenotetos Astrapsato/De Temneto! Dios Tukos!! [Greek: κενότητος ἀστραψάτω δέ τεμνέτω! Δίος τύκος!!], meaning something like "Throw lightning of the emptiness, then cut! Axe of Zeus!" I'm using "Temneto" instead of "Temnato" because I can't seem to figure out what "Temnato" means. According to some of the fan translations of the Latia Lexica Negimaria (plural form of Latium Lexicon Negimarium) of other Japanese volumes, it looks like I correctly read many of the katakana-character combinations that approximate the Latin words. One of the fan translations shows "France" for "フランス." It's true that "フランス" is often used to approximate "France," but it seems that "Flans" ("blowing") is more appropriate in the phrases and sentences.

I want to put all of the Latin phrases and sentences in a special section of my Pāginae Latīnitātis. I'll call the section "Latinitas Negimaria," meaning "Latinity connected to Negima."

Anyway, I'm trying to figure this out:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Yes, please post them. It's useful havin' a Latin' spoutin' manga fan' to give us some classical l'arnin'
Oh, okay. Some of my comments are corrections, but others provide additional information about the topics discussed in that part of the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latium Lexicon Negimarium, English volume 2
Latium Lexicon Negimarium
"Negimarium" would mean "connected with Negima" if we are to think of it as coming from "Negima" (stem and base "Negim-") and the suffix "arius," meaning "connected to..." or "possessed by..." ("arium" is the neuter form of the suffix). In that case, "Latium Lexicon Negimarium" means "Latin lexicon connected to Negima."

Quote:
Here, magister means sensei
That's right. "Magister" can mean "master" or "teacher." In Latin class, my professor was called "Magister." The feminine form of the word is "Magistra."

Quote:
Basically, it translates Wizard Negi-Sensei
The Latin phrase "Magus Negi Magister" (or "Negi Magus Magister") would mean "Wizard Negi-Sensei". "Magus Magister Negi" can also mean "Magical Master Negi."

Quote:
The Latin used in Negima! has cases where the long vowels are not extended owning to the convenience of rhythm.
I really don't know what this is supposed to mean. In Latin, a long vowel is a long vowel. In certain situations, a long vowel becomes short. (Sometimes, in poetry, short vowels become long.)

Quote:
For example, magi is actually pronounced ma-gee but as he is often called ma-jai so he comes to be called magi.
In Classical Latin, "magi" was apparently pronounced "MAH-gee," but in later forms of Latin, it is often pronounced "MAH-jee." (The exact pronunciations that the ancient Romans used is not known, but we have a pretty good idea of what words sounded like.)

Quote:
Magister Magi also means magical people
Neither "Magister" nor "magi" means "people." "Magical people" would be "homines magici" in Latin.

Quote:
Magister here means people
None of my Latin dictionaries agree with this.

Quote:
Minister magi means 'follower of magic'
If "follower" here means something like "attendant," then "minister" can mean "follower." "Magi" doesn't mean "of magic" here. "Minister magi" looks more like "attendant of the magician" or "attendant, magicians." "Minister Magus" if the person is a male, or "Ministra Maga" if the person is a female, means "Magical Attendant."

Quote:
Age nascatur, potio amoris. Literally: well, in life, a love potion.
That's not so good.
  • "Age" is the present imperative active second-person singular form of "agere," meaning "to put in motion." The word is giving an order. In this case, it can mean "come now!" or "well!" as interjections.
  • "Nascatur" is the present subjunctive third-person singular form of "nasci," meaning "to be born." One person or thing is being born. The word is expressing an exhortation/3rd person command/wish/possibility. In this case, "nascatur" means something like "may he/she/it be born."
  • "Potio amoris" means "potion of love."
So the phrase means "well! may he/she/it be born, potion of love."

Quote:
Aer aer amplificet mammas. Air, atmosphere, breasts expand.
That's almost right!
  • The two "aer"s in there are the same word, and they mean "air."
  • "Amplificet" is the present subjunctive active third-person singular form of "amplificere," meaning "to enlarge." One person is making the enlarging happen. The word is expressing an exhortation/3rd person command/wish/possibility. An accurate translation of it here is "may he/she/it enlarge."
So the phrase means "air, air, may he/she/it enlarge the breasts."

Quote:
mammae crescant, which means, in short, "breasts become larger."
It actually means "may the breasts enlarge." "Crescant" is the present subjunctive active third-person plural form of "crescere," meaning "to spring up" or "to enlarge." Two things are doing the enlarging here. The word is expressing an exhortation/3rd person command/wish/possibility.

"The breasts enlarge" would be "mammae crescunt." If you are telling the breasts to enlarge themselves, you could say "mammae, crescete" (giving an order).

Quote:
Salent, penicili
"Penicili" should be "penicilli."

The phrase actually means "the brushes will dance."

Quote:
Tria fila nigra prommissiva, mihi limitationem per tres dies. Three black pledge strings, a restriction on myself for three days.
"Prommissiva" should be "promissiva."

A rather clunky phrase. It means "three black promissive threads, a fixing (limitation) to me through three days."

Another part of the book shows "tria fīla nigra promissīva, mihi līmitatiōnem per trēs diēs." That should be "tria fīla nigra prōmissīva, mihi līmitātiōnem per trēs diēs." Not all of the long vowels are indicated.

Quote:
Undecim spiritus lucis, coeuntes segittant inimicum, sagitta magica. The 11 pillars of spirit light! Come gather and light up my enemy, magic archer.
"Segittant" probably should be "sagittant."

The phrase is pretty clunky. "Undecim spiritus lucis, coeuntes sagittant inimicum, sagitta magica" means something like "eleven spirits of light, collecting, they are shooting with arrows [at] the enemy, the magical arrow."

Quote:
Fragrantia floris, amicis vigorem, vitalitatem, auram salutarem refectio. The fragrance of a flower, a wind that will fill my friends with energy, vitality, and health.
That's another clunky phrase. "The fragrance of a flower, a restoring to my friends, vigor, vitality, and a healthful breeze." Actually, "auram" probably should be translated as "breath of life" or "aura." It seems that the phrase is trying to say that friends' vigor, vitality, and aura (or breath of life) are being restored.

Last edited by Diaphanus; 2004-10-03 at 13:43.
Diaphanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 06:38   Link #238
Sydney2K

Di,

I just wanted to say that was a great job! Thanks!

Widya Santoso
Old 2004-10-05, 11:51   Link #239
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Very informative and interesting read, Diaphanus...I'll +rep once I'm allowed to. ^_^
Old 2004-10-06, 20:39   Link #240
jarret

>_>

uuh dunno if this is against ToS, but
can anyone plz tell me where to get the raw scans??
XD
jarret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy