Old 2009-10-27, 08:42   Link #1921
Terminator98
Archangelic Demon Vampire
*Author

Quote:
A question...

who is the girl behind Shana?
To be simplier...

Didn't it hit you guys on the head that this Girl looks SO MUCH like Yoshida? (Juliette Haircut)

Old 2009-11-12, 17:57   Link #1922
TheAlucid

Quick question, how faithfully does the anime series follow the novels?

Personally I'm enjoying the idea that Yuji and Snake merged, albeit less so by the presence of another Snake who is supposed to be the 'real' one. Could you clarify this as well? Is the 'real' Snake just a portion of the entity that composes the full God-Snake fellow? Or is the Snake that Yuji merged with actually a kind of program designed to bring about the creation of said 'real' Snake?
TheAlucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-12, 22:11   Link #1923
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlucid View Post
Quick question, how faithfully does the anime series follow the novels?
Kinda half on and half off.
Old 2009-11-12, 22:32   Link #1924
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

when r we expecting novel 20?
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-13, 06:11   Link #1925
TheAlucid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Kinda half on and half off.
Could you give me some examples? For instance does the finale in season 2 actually happen in the books?

I'm kinda wondering whether or not to just read the novels instead, as I enjoy the sounds of the plot I'm hearing from them. While the anime hasn't gotten to the supposed 'juicy' bit.
Old 2009-11-13, 08:43   Link #1926
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

There are a lot of stuff that the anime didn't adapt, and the anime had an original story arc in the second season.
If you could read the novels in Japanese (or any available language out there), then it's a good choice, but there are some things you can only enjoy when it is animated.

*Honestly, I wished that I could read Japanese 'coz there are barely any translated chapters of the light novels in the Web. T_T*
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-13, 15:57   Link #1927
TheAlucid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
There are a lot of stuff that the anime didn't adapt, and the anime had an original story arc in the second season.
If you could read the novels in Japanese (or any available language out there), then it's a good choice, but there are some things you can only enjoy when it is animated.

*Honestly, I wished that I could read Japanese 'coz there are barely any translated chapters of the light novels in the Web. T_T*
Damn, will season three cover the merging of Yuji and SoTF I wonder? Where can I get access to translated chapters online?

Hate it when a series is butchered by some adaptation.
Old 2009-11-14, 02:54   Link #1928
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Nah, I don't think it's a butchering if I were to judge it, it's just the normal thing that happens when one thing gets adapted into another media.

But yes, the "merge" will most likely begin on the third (and the chunkiest action-wise) season of Shana.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2009-11-21, 12:25   Link #1929
nadini

Hello, In my quest in searching for the shana novel translations, and possibly spoilers, i came across this nifty thread.

Now i'm not finished reading it fully yet(30ish pages to go), so i apologize beforehand if i do ask a certain question that's widely known and come off as stupid.

In any case, i'm really enjoying the post vol. 14 stuff and i do hope Viz has in mind to finish the novels(but Viz being....well.. Viz, i won't put my bucks on it)

In any case, enough with my irrelevant 'buttering-you-up-before-i-claim-dominion-over-your-mortal-internet-souls' introduction.

Back to lurking.

Edit: and oh yes

Here's a relationship chart in the Eternal song manga, could someone with jap knowledge be kind enough to give some names and the stated relationships of the characters? It would be highly appreciated, if its already been done, could you redirect me to the page?

Sankyu

Spoiler for SnS X Eternal Song:
nadini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 20:48   Link #1930
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Spoiler for chunky novel info:

Oh, btw, since you've read the light novels, can I ask for your assistance in the Shakugan no Shana Wiki?
I need some LN stuff there.

Old 2009-11-22, 00:48   Link #1931
Elf song

Sophie's title gives little headache to me too, Marcus.

'Binder/Braider of Trembling/Rumbling Might/Dignity'

For me, I'd likely prefer 'Braider of Trembling Might'.
Since she uses thunder, so I imagine she 'braids' the trembling might of Heaven (= thunder) creating a sudden Blitzkreig styled attack on enemy.

By the way, latest chapter of Shana X shows more faces of Flame Hazes we've never seen before :
Pietro Monteverdi and Yamabe (Yep, the Japanese Flame Haze)
Spoiler for Pietro & Yamabe from Shana X drawn by Kiya Shii:

I saw in Shana Wiki and find out that they missing some Flame Hazes (they'd be crying by now) :

Paula Kletzki (homage to Paul Kletzki, Polish conductor and composer)
Bode (homage to Johnny Bode, Swedish composer)
Clemens Rott (homage to Clemens Krauss and Hans Rott, both Austrian composers)
Alex
Duni (homage to Egidio Duni, Italian composer)
Yamabe
George
Nam
Alma (homage to Alma Mahler-Werfel, Austrian composer and wife of Gustav Mahler)
Holmès (homage to Augusta Holmès, French composer)
Glinka (homage to Mikhail Glinka, Russian composer)
Dede (homage to Dede Efendi, Turkish composer)

and 3 Chinese Flame Hazes I dare not to translate :

季重
笵勲
劉陽
They all are homage to real people in Chu–Han contention (206–202 BC) that inspired the Chinese opera "Farewell My Concubine".

In vol.XVI, there is an Outlaw branch in Shanghai, known as 『傀輪会』 .The people with the most high rank are called 'Great Elders'. Only one of them the author gives name to us, 項辛. 項辛 is human not Flame Haze but he chose to join an Outlaw out of his affection for 虞軒, Flame Haze, thus he become one of the 'Great Elders' to be together with her. In sudden ambush lead by Sydonay, 『傀輪会』 was totally destroyed with their friends 季重 and 笵勲 died in the battle. 項辛 said he wanted his own death by 虞軒's hand instead of being killed by others and kissed her. 虞軒 followed his last will, beheaded him as he wished. She then went to fight with Sydonay and perished.

項辛 though not Flame Haze is the homage to 項羽(Xiang Yu), one of the most prominent general in Chinese history. He committed suicide after his defeat against Liu Bang.
虞軒 the homage to 虞姫(funny enough, her name is read in English as 'Yuji'), 項羽's beloved concubine who committed suicide the night before his death.
笵勲 the homage to 范增(Fan Zeng), 項羽's advisor.
季重 and 劉陽 are probably the homage to 劉邦(Liu Bang), 項羽's enemy who later overthrown him and become Emperor Gaozu of Han. His former given name is 季(Ji).
>>Recommend to read detailed version in wikipedia.

and, well some of Denizens are missing too.
(By the way, Decarabia and Haborym are part of Bal Masque too)

Bal Masque

-Wanderer(Patrol Warrior)
Ribesal

-Jäger(Scouts)
Pirsoyn

-Herold(Herald)
Stolas

-unknown rank
Barma
Bathin
Bufar
Egyn
Gaap
Larajie
Mamon
Orobas
Ose
Paimon
Phaleg
Purson
Uvall

-------------------------------------------------------------
Hyakki Yakou(Night Parade of One Hundred Demons)

Gyuuki
Para
Zemyna
Sēnmurw

Minack(Monastery of Stone Pillars)

Gogmagog

Others

Gavida
Kasha
Kraken(false name)
Nitika
Ōnamuchi
Rofocale
Ukobach

Last edited by Elf song; 2009-11-27 at 09:21. Reason: Not sure about Nam-baachan(Grandma).
Elf song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 04:13   Link #1932
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Whoa, that's some veeeeeeeery chunky info, Elf song.

Old 2009-11-22, 04:34   Link #1933
Elf song

Took me whole morning to typing them. *pant*
Never mind the homework, hahaha

Hope you enjoy
Old 2009-11-22, 05:32   Link #1934
Nietono no Shana
Godsword

Wooow thanks for the SnS X Infos, Marcus & Elf song!!!
Where can find the new Eternal Song chapter? I can't find it
Nietono no Shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 07:29   Link #1935
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Honestly, that's one among the most elusive story materials out there which isn't the translated light novels. Even I have a heckuva hard time looking. D:

EDIT: Anyway, the most active translators for the light novels are still on the works.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2009-11-22 at 09:12.
Old 2009-11-22, 09:54   Link #1936
Elf song

Let us wait for the Vol.2

Current chapter is 9 and 5-6 chapters concludes as 1 Tankōbon(Separate volumns)
Since Eternal Song is now starting serialize in Monthly Dengeki Maoh (not quarterly Dengeki Black Maoh),
I'm expecting the next Tankōbon in 1-2 months, after next Maoh come out on 27/11.
Old 2009-11-22, 11:39   Link #1937
Nietono no Shana
Godsword

I hope someday someone could translate the ES Manga.
And i'm looking forward to Vol.2 <3
Nietono no Shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 23:18   Link #1938
CapoExecutor
In R'lyeh where he dreams

I don't remember if it was Volume 17 or 18 but what was the Spiral Organ doing as a guest at the Seireiden?

Also, who is Rebecca Reid's contractor and what title does she go by?

ACQUIRING COMPLETE.

Last edited by CapoExecutor; 2009-12-09 at 23:57.
CapoExecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-10, 02:36   Link #1939
Elf song

I think her name is more like Rebecca Reed.
Her title is 『輝爍の撒き手』 roughly translated as "Scatterer of Shining Blaze" (kishaku no makite)
Her flame color is Pink. (too cute for someone like her, I seriously mean it!)

Her contractor is “糜砕の裂眥” バラル (bisai no ressei)
Roughly translated as "Widen Eye of Destruction" Balar
(the homage to another name of Balor, one-eyed king of Fomorians in Irish Mythology)

Balar's divine vessel is called クルワッハ (Cruach). It is a closed-eye shaped golden bracelet.

Not sure about Lamies' intention of joining Bal Masque
Old 2009-12-10, 03:00   Link #1940
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

My guess is that Seireiden is just welcoming a very high-level Crimson Lord just like how Outlaw might welcome Shana.

Tags
dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, romance, seinen, shounen