AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-08, 17:42   Link #101
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Wow that was awesome. I've never seen any of the other versions of this show before and I was really impressed. A lot of good stuff this season but this one could easily be my favorite if it maintains this level of quality for the entire run. Does anyone know how many episodes this is supposed to run?
Old 2013-10-08, 20:44   Link #102
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRealist View Post
Wow that was awesome. I've never seen any of the other versions of this show before and I was really impressed. A lot of good stuff this season but this one could easily be my favorite if it maintains this level of quality for the entire run. Does anyone know how many episodes this is supposed to run?
13 episodes.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 20:53   Link #103
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
13 episodes.
Thanks for the info. I couldn't help myself and read like 12 chapters of the manga today and, while I don't think the source material is terrible by any means, I'm glad that this adaptation seems to be making a fairly loose interpretation of it. The premise is cool but I'm just not sure if I like where the mangaka takes it.
Old 2013-10-08, 20:54   Link #104
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well its a nice start but it dosnt seem like a remake and Oh my those are some big goldfish
Old 2013-10-08, 21:41   Link #105
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRealist View Post
Thanks for the info. I couldn't help myself and read like 12 chapters of the manga today and, while I don't think the source material is terrible by any means, I'm glad that this adaptation seems to be making a fairly loose interpretation of it. The premise is cool but I'm just not sure if I like where the mangaka takes it.
The first 3 or so episodes are anime original because they don't want to cover the same stuff the first series loosely did. The first episode itself very strongly mirrors the first chapter of the manga by presenting most of the same points that it did (plus more) while being different enough to not feel like retreading. It should go back to the manga's storyline after that, though I have no idea what they're going to do with Hoshi no Umi since dark Zakuro is in the OP and they already did that story in the OAD.
Old 2013-10-09, 01:45   Link #106
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Great animation, pacing, and it looks like this time they will stick closer to the manga story, characterization and atmosphere...

BUT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
Urgh, they moeified all the characters. When the original work is done by such a fantastic artist as Yasuda Suzuhito, why mess with his designs?
Keeping the manga character designs was the only saving grace of the previous TV adaption. This time the anime character designs are horrible, but it makes sense to butcher the awesome manga art in order to be able to get fluid animation.

Quote:
Also to those whinging on about fanservice (which I assume to you mean pantsu shots) they toned it down from the manga.
Yes, there was more fanservice in the manga, but the difference isn't that great, plus with such atrocious static art its point is lost.

Quote:
Finally, why on earth does Cthuko translate Youkai as "beasts"? That's gotta be one of the worst translation localizations I've ever seen. Are they trying to steal Commie and GG'S crowns as the biggest butchers of both English and Japanese?
Beasts was indeed a strange choice for english subs, but I guess it depends on the culture (and its mythology) the translator is familiar with.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 08:53   Link #107
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
Ugh, Yasuda is terrible. These designs are much better, and suited to being animated. It has nothing to do with "being on a budget"; budget has to do with the amount of frames, not with how detailed they are. They couldn't do that much animation if they were on a tight budget.
That's your opinion. I absolutely love Yasuda design in animation(such as Durarara or Devil Summoner 2) and I'm kinda sad they butcher his design into such round face to save budget ><.
Old 2013-10-09, 09:19   Link #108
ustatsu

It’s Ryo-timos style. Birdy also has this more rounded look. And I doubt that it has something to do with the budget and in case that they really redesigned it for easier drawings so they could animate more, then good choice.

I like the designs, apart from Hime. Doesn’t suit her and it’s like a complete different character now. She isn’t supposed to be cute.
ustatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 09:37   Link #109
Malkuth
Banned

Let's hope that Ryo-whatver-style won't get creative with the story and character development too, because his visuals are fluidly animated atrocities
Old 2013-10-09, 09:56   Link #110
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ustatsu View Post
It’s Ryo-timos style. Birdy also has this more rounded look. And I doubt that it has something to do with the budget and in case that they really redesigned it for easier drawings so they could animate more, then good choice.

I like the designs, apart from Hime. Doesn’t suit her and it’s like a complete different character now. She isn’t supposed to be cute.
All I can say is that I hope unlike some action scenes in Birdy the animation won't look like it was done on a $20 budget . A couple scenes in S2 were so god awful I couldn't believe it.
Old 2013-10-09, 10:03   Link #111
ustatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Let's hope that Ryo-whatver-style won't get creative with the story and character development too,
Was something wrong with Hoshi no Umi? And aren’t the original stories written by Yasuda? Should be alright.
ustatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 10:41   Link #112
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustatsu View Post
Was something wrong with Hoshi no Umi? And aren’t the original stories written by Yasuda? Should be alright.
Yes, there was one thing wrong with the OVA, like this TV adaption, they look awful. On the other hand, as I originally wrote, as long as the staff's artistic aspirations are affecting only the character designs, it should be OK (ugly but bearable)... should they start messing with the story, character development, atmosphere, not even their innovative high frame-rate animation can save them.
Old 2013-10-09, 11:19   Link #113
Horse

Considering the first episode was already original I think you can safely skip this adaptation and thread. Better luck next time.~
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 11:37   Link #114
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
Considering the first episode was already original I think you can safely skip this adaptation and thread. Better luck next time.~
[Repeats like a robot] "The first few episodes (or rather first 2 it seems) are anime original to avoid retreading the same material the first series loosely covered and are done by Yasuda cooperating with the staff. It should be back to following the manga by episode 3."
Old 2013-10-09, 11:39   Link #115
Horse

I know. But Malkuth should leave because of that. If were in luck.
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 12:37   Link #116
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
[Repeats like a robot] "The first few episodes (or rather first 2 it seems) are anime original to avoid retreading the same material the first series loosely covered and are done by Yasuda cooperating with the staff. It should be back to following the manga by episode 3."
Honestly, after having finished the part of the manga that this episode was supposed to be covering I can honestly say that I much preferred the anime version of it. The anime so far seems like it's avoiding a lot of the lame cliches that are, in my opinion, the worst part of the manga and it's presenting everything in a much cleaner, more, elegant way. I'm not hating on the manga. It has some gorgeous art. But, so far, I think Ryo-timo is proving himself to be a better director then Yasuda.
Old 2013-10-09, 14:45   Link #117
kyouray
2D > 3D

Upcoming staff (photo via @ishi_ichi & duckroll)
Quote:
Episode 2 :
Script : Suzuhito Yasuda
Episode director/storyboard : Kiyotaka Suzuki (Hoshi no Umi 2-3)
Animation director : Hiromi Taniguchi

Episode 3 :
Script : Manabu Ishikawa
Episode director : Masahiko Matsuyama
Storyboard : Shin Matsuo
Animation director : Yukiko Nakatani, Shingo Fujisaki

Episode 4 :
Episode director : Takahiro Majima
Storyboard : Katsumi Terahigashi
Animation director : Toshimitsu Takechi

Episode 5 :
Episode director : Yoshiko Mikami
Storyboard : Hiroshi Kobayashi (Hoshi no Umi 1)
Animation director : Koutarou Nakamori
I'm curious to watch how ex-Gainax Hiromi Taniguchi's style will affect the episode. Her elegant & glamorous style should fit ryochimo's design. You can check her pixiv & some of her sketches on her twitter.
There're already some preview pictures :
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Episode 5 could be interesting too. I don't know much Yoshiko Mikami but his Sengoku Collection (#18) episode was neat. Hiroshi Kobayashi only comes back as storyboarder and I hope it's for good action scenes.
Old 2013-10-09, 16:11   Link #118
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'll never get why people worship Yasuda. His work as a character designer is nothing special (so many clones!), and he's a pretty mediocre artist (I checked a few chapters of the manga). I'm happier with what we got in the anime. To each their own I guess.
Old 2013-10-09, 16:28   Link #119
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I personally don't mind either way, although I do prefer Yasuda's designs.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 22:26   Link #120
Shyni

So, this didn't take a long at all for the Tsundere song. And they're using it as the next episode music too.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem