AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-12-22, 15:55   Link #1
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Website Problems

Ok, my website has been up for nearly a year with no problems until recently. Let me first warn that I am an absolutely noob when it comes to websites, and don't know much about html coding ^ ^!

With that said, about two months ago I got a new computer for my b-day. Windows XP system with the works, and one of my fav. programs, publisher. On my old computer, I used microsoft publish to design my website because you didn't need to have any knowledge of html codes. You designed the page graphically. So I basically re-created my site on my new computer with the 2003 publisher program and i thought everything was just as great as before.

But now, I've recieved 10 emails from visitors to my site that say that they can't view my website correctly. Some say that they can view it fine in i.e. and not mozilla. Then I have other people saying they can only see it in mozilla! I'm not sure what to fix or what is wrong. The following are the only new changes that have been made to my site:
-its now htm, not html
-uses mainly png image files, instead of gif or jpeg
-i'm using a navigation bar that is offered on microsoft publisher, where before it was just a text link navigation bar like on my subdomain (http://www.akfgfan.com/recartist).

Like I said above, I have 0 knowledge of codes and this problem seemed to start occuring after I began using the updated 2003 publisher program. I'm not sure if this is some lame compatibility error cause i'm using a microsoft program, if i should be using a different program, or what. If you could give any insight into what might poss. be a prob., then that would be great!

Here's my main site so you guys can tell me if your having similar problems: http://www.akfgfan.com

-One side note, I also just transferred to a new web host located in Canada that uses Linux servers. When I transferred, if there was more than one space in a text, then ??? marks would appear. Deleting that space seemed to end that problem...Not sure what spawned that problem, but that's something else I had to tackle within the last week.
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 17:04   Link #2
Ending

Seems to be working fine on both browser and the code seemed clean too -although strange when compared to Dreamweaver markup.

Maybe it's an error in their end, like it most often is.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 17:26   Link #3
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

A few things that you should pay attention to. You are using Microsoft Office Application which does things a little different. The code is very "heavy" on the VML side.

1. Mozilla-I'm using Linux Slackware Mozilla and it DOES NOT display correctly. The reason being that It's the core release and it has problems with the VML/HTML4.0 code. It cannot parse through it at all. The Navbar code cannot be parsed correctly.

2. Firefox w/IE plugin. Works fine. Without Plug-in, works semi fine. Again, the VML code.

BTW, both Mozilla and Firefox (older edition) have problems with VML (Vector Markup Language). there's quite a lot of VML there. This is a known issue. Also, Mozilla also supports most HTML4 standards. The solution provided by mozilla.org is to convert your site to support SVG.

Also, StyleSheets. Have your users use the latest Firefox/Mozilla. The older betas do not display StyleSheets correctly. This is a known major problem. You have a VML so that's a stylesheet. Easiest test for style sheet problems is under Firefox View > Page Style > No Style. You will see what your page looks like when there's no stylesheet working.

If you really want to use the Navbar, you should code it yourself and avoid using VML right now to ensure that ALL browser will work. If possible, your host may be running PHP and that will make it much easier for you and provide a better experience for your end users. If using PhP, make sure it's the latest one.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 18:55   Link #4
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
ok, i changed the nav. bar and am gonna reload the site back up. I'll let you guys know when its completely up in like 20 min. or so.
Old 2004-12-22, 19:31   Link #5
phoenixfire92983

Alright, the website is back up. Could either AnimeOni or someone else that couldn't see it correctly before check to see if it looks ok now?

BTW, much thanks for all the speedy replies and suggestions!
Old 2004-12-23, 14:29   Link #6
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Doesn't work still. You need to strip out all the VML code.
go to http://validator.w3.org and copy the code in there and you will see what I mean.

As I said, you cannot use VML. Mozilla based browsers will IGNORE the code.

The solution is to use CCS, frames, or others. Make sure that your site complies with HTML 4.0 standard only to ensure that it displays on all browsers.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-23, 14:49   Link #7
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Why not put up a small notice that you need the latest FireFox + IE Plugin to display this site? <Link to plugin>
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-23, 17:50   Link #8
phoenixfire92983

Yeah, for now I think I'll just put some wording on the site on how to best view it.

One of my friends offered to create a site using ccs for me and teach me how to code so i think that's what I'll work on next. Thanks for all of your suggestions. Now I know what was causing the problems and how to fix it.