AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 29 22.66%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 38.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 22.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 11.72%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.34%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.78%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.78%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.78%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-19, 11:55   Link #121
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

She just has a very short attention span I suppose would be one way to put it?

No matter what it is that is "wrong" with her, it would cause most people to call her stupid no matter how many times you tell them she technically isn't. It's not worth arguing over.
Old 2009-04-19, 13:20   Link #122
Justin Kim
*Artist

Maybe she has ADD? Lol. My friend, whom is a pianist, has a mild case of ADD, but the only thing that makes him concentrate is listening to a piano play. Yui on the other hand, was just so darn cute in this episode. The comparison to her sister by the band group was really funny. I was laughing so much. Yui isn't stupid people. The character is portrayed that way to show her love and cuteness. I don't think the developers implied to make her "stupid."
Old 2009-04-19, 13:25   Link #123
Grif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Haze View Post
Yui is not stupid, otherwise, she wouldn't have been able to make 100% on the test.
It is good someone other than myself realised this.

She acts like a retard but really she just has concentration problems :P

Loved this episode, some hilarious moments. Love Ritsu's attempts to get back in xD.
Old 2009-04-19, 13:26   Link #124
Amber.Dawn

Yui has her quirks, as do we all.
Besides, her traits were probably exaggerated for increased effect.
Old 2009-04-19, 13:37   Link #125
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber.Dawn View Post
Yui has her quirks, as do we all.
Besides, her traits were probably exaggerated for increased effect.
Well most character personalities in such animes are exaggerated to a point of silliness. Some just happen to be way more obnoxious than others.
Old 2009-04-19, 13:58   Link #126
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
But you are a bad doggy. No bone for you!
Wan wan~

(*I'm changing my user title now because that just seems to stick, haha*)

Also, I'm just going to call Yui selectively stupid, that seems more appropiate.

:3

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-04-19, 15:52   Link #127
5cm.per.second
SunnyEnvironmentGoneWrong

Well Yui is kinda cute, but how does she manage staying alive with how clueless she seems? She seems even worse off than Tsukasa or Osaka, and if you're slower than Tsukasa or Osaka, you're not gonna make it in life lol. Good thing Yui can rely on everyone else.
Old 2009-04-19, 16:24   Link #128
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cm.per.second View Post
Well Yui is kinda cute, but how does she manage staying alive with how clueless she seems? She seems even worse off than Tsukasa or Osaka, and if you're slower than Tsukasa or Osaka, you're not gonna make it in life lol. Good thing Yui can rely on everyone else.
Isn't this the basic premise of every episode so far [which is three, but...]? Yui needs to depend on other people because she can't do something herself?

I sense potential character development.
Old 2009-04-19, 18:53   Link #129
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
Maybe she has ADD?
What do you mean "maybe?" I was taken it for granted.
Old 2009-04-19, 19:43   Link #130
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

so yui can do extremely well if she tries eh...

her sister has any common traits?
Old 2009-04-19, 19:43   Link #131
5cm.per.second

There are other anime, Chobits for example, that have a character that needs basic things explained to them and adjusting to modern life. Yui is one of those characters only since she's not a time-traveler or persocom, or alien, she seems kinda dense. She even forgot she was going to play guitar and had to be reminded. Ritsu's joke about Yui's sister getting all the good genes was hilarious.
Old 2009-04-19, 20:20   Link #132
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Then again she could also be the type of characters that feigns more dullness than she actually haves in order to get along. Something between the shrewd hawk hides its claws and just having an intentional "cute quirk" (at least I could imagine the forgot my guitar commentary to be on those lines)
Or maybe it's all honest and real. The world will never know.
Old 2009-04-19, 20:32   Link #133
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Yui is simply the definition of "attention deficit"; None of us just have any friends with a case that defined to make a real-life comparison to and thus will never understand...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-04-19, 21:40   Link #134
typhonsentra

What was with that one igloo gag by the way?
Old 2009-04-20, 00:58   Link #135
sinner0

Yui only studies for a few hours and she got 100%? I can't tell whether she is a genius or an idiot.

I guess there is a fine line between genius and idiocy.
Old 2009-04-20, 02:22   Link #136
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Algebra doesn't require much (if any) natural talent at that level, anyone who studies hard enough and works through the paper carefully could get full marks.
Old 2009-04-20, 05:20   Link #137
5cm.per.second

Chances are it's only because the test was the very next day that Yui was able to ace it. Any later and she prolly wouldn't have been able to retain the information any longer.
Old 2009-04-20, 06:14   Link #138
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
Maybe she has ADD? Lol. My friend, whom is a pianist, has a mild case of ADD, but the only thing that makes him concentrate is listening to a piano play. Yui on the other hand, was just so darn cute in this episode. The comparison to her sister by the band group was really funny. I was laughing so much. Yui isn't stupid people. The character is portrayed that way to show her love and cuteness. I don't think the developers implied to make her "stupid."
ADHD. CONFIRM!
No seriously, in two other Kyoani series there's a ADHD fella. Like:

Konata - Lucky Star
Fuko - CLANNAD

SO why not Yui??
Old 2009-04-20, 10:10   Link #139
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Well, intelligence may be questionable, but Yui being smart is still plausible...If it weren't for her lack of motivation and/or her attention deficit, she would've done absolutely fine the first time around, since she eventually caught on easy (Albeit reluctantly) after being sat down and tutored by Mio and getting a perfect score on the retake...She had to retake because she failed to study and this failed the test, so when she actually studied (Or was forced/bribed into) she succeeded the retake test...That's not even luck, that's being smart, and you can't be smart if you're stupid, just as much as you can be an airhead but not be stupid...

Of course it takes exceptional proof that being an airhead isn't synonymous with being stupid, and we just got exceptional proof of that...

It seems to be a character type-set to have one suffer from some sort of attention deficit and yet still be smart, from Mutsumi from the anime "Love Hina" to Jesse from the movie "The Fast and the Furious"...Yui just appears to be in that character type-set...It's an embarassing flaw, but it's not something without compensation...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-04-20, 10:27   Link #140
DidCart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Well, intelligence may be questionable, but Yui being smart is still plausible...If it weren't for her lack of motivation and/or her attention deficit, she would've done absolutely fine the first time around, since she eventually caught on easy (Albeit reluctantly) after being sat down and tutored by Mio and getting a perfect score on the retake...She had to retake because she failed to study and this failed the test, so when she actually studied (Or was forced/bribed into) she succeeded the retake test...That's not even luck, that's being smart, and you can't be smart if you're stupid, just as much as you can be an airhead but not be stupid...

Of course it takes exceptional proof that being an airhead isn't synonymous with being stupid, and we just got exceptional proof of that...

It seems to be a character type-set to have one suffer from some sort of attention deficit and yet still be smart, from Mutsumi from the anime "Love Hina" to Jesse from the movie "The Fast and the Furious"...Yui just appears to be in that character type-set...It's an embarassing flaw, but it's not something without compensation...
Exactly!

Yui is smart.
She's learning guitar by herself and she, with 1 day of attention to the study she perfect scored the test. If she was stupid I can't figure out she doing these things.
Closed Thread