AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-03-27, 20:48   Link #21
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Guilty Crown. It actually a false hope to begin with.
I got to the 10th episode this morning -- and I got mad.

For you see, I managed to develop some kind of hope for this Shu character up to the 9th eps. But in the first 60-seconds of the next episode -- it all goes right out the window. And as I read into the 22nd eps. thread -- the sissy kid stays alive...

Last edited by Kyuu; 2012-03-27 at 21:03.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 22:27   Link #22
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Full Moon Wo Sagashite
Soul Eater
Rurouni Kenshin (the Kyoto arc is SO much better than the first arc)
FMA: Brotherhood
.hack//sign (I didn't get into it until halfway, really)
Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon (I think S and Stars, 3rd and 5th seasons are the best ones by a milestone)
Princess Tutu
Hidan No Aria (everybody who watched it knows this )
Old 2012-03-27, 22:31   Link #23
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Chobits there only one I can think of right now
Old 2012-03-27, 22:49   Link #24
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Rurouni Kenshin (the Kyoto arc is SO much better than the first arc)
Speaking of Kyoto arcs, Nurarihyon no Mago is a rare example of something that actually gets significantly better in its second season. (Its Kyoto arc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon (I think S and Stars, 3rd and 5th seasons are the best ones by a milestone)
Really? That's great! I'm just wrapping up the first season, sounds like I've got a lot of good stuff in store.
Old 2012-03-27, 23:34   Link #25
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
One of the common gestures within Anime fans is that they always tell each other that a certain Anime will get better and make them sure that they will like it when they get to that part. It almost never works but everyone always says this line one way or another.
Watching "finished anime" or reading reliable "spoilers" will avoid that. I often do that before watching or buying an anime somebody recommends to me.

I spoil myself sometimes just be sure there'll be no regrets in the end...(after 50+ episodes, they all died)
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 23:59   Link #26
gsilver

One Piece

I had the hardest time getting into the show, since I really didn't like Buggy the Clown and the Baratie arc just dragged. Now, after many years of putting it off, I'm 110 episodes in... and I'm hooked.
Old 2012-03-28, 00:47   Link #27
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I never drop shows anymore but I will say that most of what I don't abandon usually satisfies me by the second half or so. That said looking at my MAL I've noticed that any anime which takes at least a third of its time for me to like usually become middle ground for me. The only exceptions to this rule being Fist of the North Star, Saki, Steins;Gate and Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 01:41   Link #28
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quite a few I can't remember.

Right now the only one I can think of is BLOODXCLAMP, the disliked its guts until the last episode.

Now I'm even psyched for the movie.
Old 2012-03-28, 02:15   Link #29
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Mine :

C3 : First episode sounds like a generic romcom, but when episode two get hit, a major change of the story makes the anime looking better !

Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere : First few episodes looks terrible, but as the story progresses, despite the very incomprehensible plot, it improves magnificiently.

High School DxD : First few episodes sounds generic (minus the stabbed by a girlfriend part) but it gets better since the Asia's Rescue arc. But I question myself whether the series will gets as better as Qwaser of Stigmata or not.

Milky Holmes : First season is full of comedy, but thanks to the last two episodes of season 1 and the serious (actual) manner of mystery cases used in season 2, it gets better and better.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 02:17   Link #30
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
The only show I watched which got better later on is Steins;Gate. The first 7 or so episodes were mediocre at best but after that it became quite good. Apart from this I can' t seem to find any anime that I watched which wasn't good from the get go.
Steins Gate, in my humble opinion, is the epitome of escalating rollercoaster that just gets more and more intense and exciting as the story progress, exponentially.

The other rollercoaster ride was Gurren Lagann.
Although that one gets rolling faster.
Old 2012-03-28, 02:58   Link #31
mecharobot

Plenty of them. One was Fist of the North Star. It seemed like whole anime is going to be Ken trying to make his way to the crazy blond emperor while he sent his minions endlessly after him, but it turned out it was only the first act. Also, while it was one of the weaker arcs, later arcs returned to flesh out some stuff from flashbacks and tie ins.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 04:33   Link #32
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Forgot to mention Honey and Clover. While it was technically really good to start with, the level of great characterization and human drama just got better and better as the episodes pass.

I still remember the bike arc. Oh god I love the bike arc.
Old 2012-03-28, 10:19   Link #33
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I guess the ones that are really standing out in my mind at the moment are Kemono no Soujo Erin and The Twelve Kingdoms....
These are the two shows that came immediately to mind for me, too.

Monster has a bit of a slow start as well. Then it becomes as compelling as any series I've watched.

The first episode of Bartender is one of the weakest. I would have dropped the show had I not watched the brilliant episode two. After that it became one of my favorites.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 11:00   Link #34
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

I really hate this phenomenon so much that I classify it as one of my worst anime cliches. It's not a very good argument to use with fiction, as if you don't start strong, you can't expect to hook viewers in. With that said, there is Sket Dance, Reborn, Eureka Seven, Another, and that's pretty much it.

Stuff like Clannad, Baccano, and Durarara started off weird, but I was hooked onto them from the start.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 11:17   Link #35
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
I really hate this phenomenon so much that I classify it as one of my worst anime cliches. It's not a very good argument to use with fiction, as if you don't start strong, you can't expect to hook viewers in.
Agreed. First impressions are important in life, so it can seem a bit surprising that so many anime don't come out "swinging for the fences" in the very first episode.

Mind you, the last anime that struck me as "coming out swinging" was Guilty Crown, and I loved that about it, but we know how Guilty Crown ended up being received by a lot of viewers...

Perhaps there's just no way to please most anime fans unless you get all of the slower "foundational work" (carefully fleshing out characters, settings, in-universe rules, etc...) done in the first few episodes.
Old 2012-03-28, 11:47   Link #36
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
The best example for me would be the Higurashi franchise. S1 was pretty awful and was an absolute slugfest to get through (I rated it 5/10), but S2 after Hanyuu appears turns the series from... bad to awesome. Unfortunately, that's like almost 30 episodes before it starts to get to this level. Furthermore, things hit the shitter again in Rei and then hit the pits of hell with Kira. *Insert Deen Sucks comment here*

Clannad, much like Higurashi, took an awful long time before it got to amazing territory (post episode 9 of After Story), though S1 was not in any means bad per se... although I did personally struggle with Fuko and Kotomi's arc because they were really boring for me.

Kara no Kyoukai would be another. I had no idea what was going on with the first movie and the second movie was just backstory, but come the third movie and onwards BAM, the franchise is frakken awesome from then (maybe taking a slight dive with the sixth movie).

For recent examples Steins Gate and Mawaru Penguindrum started off kinda meh at the start, but were amazing in their 2nd cours.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 12:15   Link #37
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

So, no one mentioned Mouretsu Pirates yet? Up till episode 5, I wasn't sure whether to keep watching or to drop it, because so little was going on. A few episodes later, I'm on the edge of my seat, eagerly awaiting next week's episode.
Old 2012-03-28, 12:57   Link #38
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Mind you, the last anime that struck me as "coming out swinging" was Guilty Crown, and I loved that about it, but we know how Guilty Crown ended up being received by a lot of viewers...

Perhaps there's just no way to please most anime fans unless you get all of the slower "foundational work" (carefully fleshing out characters, settings, in-universe rules, etc...) done in the first few episodes.
Well, there was hype backlash, but there wasn't much to hook me on that show besides the hype to begin with. It felt like one of Final Fantasy's "in media res" openings where shit happened, yet I couldn't get a good foundation for it and there was nothing unusual or "whoa" to attract me. I was sold on Baccano when I found out that the gangsters were immortal. I was sold on Clannad when I found out the main character was freaking awesome. I didn't like the characters in the first two episodes (granted, I only hated the main female at the time) and while the voids were cool, the fact that they were used as Deus Ex Machinas bothered me (it's the same problem I had with Eureka Seven). But I really wish that the whole show had been about the main character just running away, fighting his way out if he needed to.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 13:05   Link #39
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
There's quite a few that I've watched where it takes a while to get good, but the one that I can think of right off the top of my head is Witch Hunter Robin. The first half is Monster of the Week format, but right around ep. 13 or so, the plot kicks in and sends you on one hell of a ride

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 14:01   Link #40
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, I suppose there's nothing wrong with holding back, but the first impression must not be so negative as to drive everyone away. Still, there are certain shows, mostly Kanon 2006 and Shana III that I am glad I stuck around for since those had rather weak opening acts.

Other notable shows that got better later; most of these were already somewhat good though before they got there:
Nanoha (Wasn't very interesting until episode 4)
Madoka (end of episode 3)
Zeta Gundam (end of episode 3.... notice something?)
Air (Midway point)
Bakemonogatari (Midway point)
Higurashi (Well, it was fun all along, but not til the end of season 1 did we get more than lol wut horror, blame Deen I guess)
Tiger& Bunny (Midway point)
Last Exile (About 1/3 in)
Penguindrum (1/3 in, before that it just seemed like random deranged comedy)
Yu Yu Hakusho (About 8 episodes in when the action starts
Mai-HiME (About 8 episodes in, before was mostly silly ecchi comedy)
Wandering Son (Midway point, when it finally establishes itself)
Towards the Terra (Last arc, though the actual end was -_- so I wasn't really sure how much better)

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote