AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-01-31, 10:53   Link #21
smeg4brainsuk
Ayanami's Concubine

Send a message via MSN to smeg4brainsuk
I was going to ignore this one, looks like the same old mecha anime series we have being bombarded with so many times now, but as its Prodution I.G. i will watch it and hope it turns out for the best.

Anything involving production I.G. is usually gold ^^
smeg4brainsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 16:07   Link #22
BluWacky
尻の竜

Well, that was... boring. Whoever thought that it was a good idea to conduct all the mecha battles in veeeery slooooow mooooootion poor quality CG was an idiot and should be fired (yes, that's probably the director!). Otherwise, it's mostly a very inoffensive yet rather uninteresting "mysterious mecha" show with nice character designs, decent animation and good music; the script, unfortunately, is as dry as Tutankhaman's umbrella (hey, it's just like a manga! I've never heard THAT line before!) and the episode fails to introduce ANYTHING interesting or unpredictable.

Given that RahXephon rips off the original Rydeen/Reideen/whatever, at least it managed to introduce all three main characters and generate an intriguing, mysterious atmosphere in the first episode as well as having all the good things that Reideen has (and seriously, how much like Ayato does Saiga look?).

I'll probably still watch the second episode just for an OP/ED, but I can't say I'm particularly interested in any more of Reideen.

Roll on Seirei no Moribito!
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 16:28   Link #23
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I think Mitsuru Hongo likes his slow-mo CG (see Deltora Quest, IGPX etc...) but I didn't think the 3D stuff itself was poor quality as such (apart from the helicopters maybe) it's just not particularly well directed. Some scenes like the sweep from the blackboard in the school room and the ones during the battle at end felt clumsy. I guess they were trying to show off the funky CG, but yeah doesn't really work all that well in places.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-01, 00:26   Link #24
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I didn't think that part 1 of the mecha battle was boring. Kind of reminded me of those monster movies, like Godzilla. The guy just needs to learn how to fight.

I've never seen the original but this looks interesting.
Old 2007-02-01, 12:23   Link #25
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
Well, that was... boring. Whoever thought that it was a good idea to conduct all the mecha battles in veeeery slooooow mooooootion poor quality CG was an idiot and should be fired (yes, that's probably the director!). Otherwise, it's mostly a very inoffensive yet rather uninteresting "mysterious mecha" show with nice character designs, decent animation and good music; the script, unfortunately, is as dry as Tutankhaman's umbrella (hey, it's just like a manga! I've never heard THAT line before!) and the episode fails to introduce ANYTHING interesting or unpredictable.

Given that RahXephon rips off the original Rydeen/Reideen/whatever, at least it managed to introduce all three main characters and generate an intriguing, mysterious atmosphere in the first episode as well as having all the good things that Reideen has (and seriously, how much like Ayato does Saiga look?).

I'll probably still watch the second episode just for an OP/ED, but I can't say I'm particularly interested in any more of Reideen.

Roll on Seirei no Moribito!
Well at least you didn't go for "Just another another uninteresting mecha show" and said "uninteresting mecha show". The guy above you obviously seems to think mecha is all the same. Which is strange because he's a fan of Evangelion.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-05, 04:44   Link #26
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Personally, I liked the first episode because Saiga's mom is a hot MILF. She's the mother of those two already!? ZMOG. I'm going to keep on watching this series, if for the mom (and the cool character designs as well as the decent animation). I hated the slow as hell mecha scenes, though. Who the fuck wants big robots fighting like snails? That guy should be fired. Really.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-07, 19:16   Link #27
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Who plans to sub this?
Old 2007-02-08, 07:09   Link #28
Grv
宜しく
*Fansubber

Not sure anyone has been taken in by the 1st episode. I've also noticed that it's not airing in HD either. May well go unsubbed for a long time like the previous remake.
Old 2007-02-08, 16:29   Link #29
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

I didn't see the ep but I saw the trailer,and indeed the fight scene looks slow,but I don't think it's bad,if done well (and it was in the trailer)it can be majestic.
Old 2007-02-09, 02:06   Link #30
solomon

Hmm saw the trailer and I have to say the movements on the Reideen were pretty tedious, it's like Hongo wants us to sit down and fawn over the detail in the model design or something. Anyways, the plot will really have to prove it's mettle as it's very hard to gain interest in robot shows in a post eva industry.

Plot and characterization I should say, something will have to come out of left field on this one to really stand out, Ergo Proxy and Cheviiear are tough acts to follow.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 13:46   Link #31
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Hmm saw the trailer and I have to say the movements on the Reideen were pretty tedious, it's like Hongo wants us to sit down and fawn over the detail in the model design or something. Anyways, the plot will really have to prove it's mettle as it's very hard to gain interest in robot shows in a post eva industry.

Plot and characterization I should say, something will have to come out of left field on this one to really stand out, Ergo Proxy and Cheviiear are tough acts to follow.
Dude there's no such thing as a Post Eva industry. Considering Evangelion has way too much in common with Ideon: Be Invoked anyway, its not as original as one might think and its certainly not a turning point or a cut off point in the genre. It was just a high point of a period emphasizing character and plot in mecha along with Escaflowne, Giant Robo and Macross Plus. Evangelion, is old, tired, it happened, it was good, it made us think, and its time to move on.

I'm not sure why people have this idea that just because Evangelion exists you are not allowed to do Super Robot mecha anymore and every mecha series that has aired after it must be compared to a show that aired over ten years ago that is being kept perpetually active by ADV, instead of being enjoyed for what it is. I never thought you of all people would subscribe to the myth of a post eva mecha scene. Forshame.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-02-11 at 14:07.
Old 2007-02-11, 15:24   Link #32
solomon

hmmmm good point and well noted, perhaps it was a bit of a whitewash. Back on topic though, in order to keep my attention this show will have to do something with the story and characterization so it isn't a retread of 70s giant robo conventions just in a somber more modern mood.
Old 2007-02-11, 15:34   Link #33
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well, it is Production IG we're talking about here so there's prob alot more to this title. You can't really make too many judgements based on the first ep., which I thought was great by the way.

It looks like it's being made to appeal to both genders.

Hope someone subs this.
Old 2007-02-11, 16:12   Link #34
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
hmmmm good point and well noted, perhaps it was a bit of a whitewash. Back on topic though, in order to keep my attention this show will have to do something with the story and characterization so it isn't a retread of 70s giant robo conventions just in a somber more modern mood.
As long as it doesn't fall into the endless machine beast of the week formula then we have a good base for the series. As cool as Voltes V, Mazinger Z and Getter Robo are in Super Robot Wars, I couldn't watch more than 10 episodes of them really.
Old 2007-02-11, 16:24   Link #35
solomon

hahahahaaa I havent seen anything older than gundam. Ok ill take it up then.
Old 2007-02-21, 07:42   Link #36
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

The website's been overhauled, with a new 120s promo video (7mb). The new promo does a much better job of showing the action than the first episode did, bizarrely.

P.S Midorino Akira reminds me of Shizuno from ZEGAPAIN :P
Old 2007-02-21, 08:11   Link #37
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I'm not sure why people have this idea that just because Evangelion exists you are not allowed to do Super Robot mecha anymore and every mecha series that has aired after it must be compared to a show that aired over ten years ago that is being kept perpetually active by ADV, instead of being enjoyed for what it is.
Thankfully, titles like GaoGaiGar () , Godannar and Gravion (Three... G? ) showed us that you can still have enjoyable SR titles in the 21st century without being dragged down by the pseudoreligion and psychoanalytic style that Eva introduced.

Something's wrong with that promo video link

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 08:19   Link #38
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Works for me in WMP 10 (via Firefox). Anyway here's the direct link to the video stream, you may have to copy and paste it into Media Player or a download manager if that doesn't work for you.
Old 2007-02-21, 09:15   Link #39
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I can QC as I believe I'm pretty good with English ... but we need a translator ... o.O
Old 2007-03-04, 14:13   Link #40
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Watched the broadcast version of ep 1 and I didn't spot any changes from the web and preview releases. Which is a shame in one way as we don't get either an OP or ED. Also they didn't fix some of the shots that I felt were unfinished (the water from the damn etc...) but I guess that was they way they were intended to be shown.

Ep 2 preview screenshots...
Spoiler:

Anyhoo I'm looking forward to the second ep now, hoping the quality is kept as high as the first (and that Akira is introduced ). Hopefully the subs will be out soon since it's now started proper.

Last edited by Sonhex; 2007-03-04 at 14:29.