AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-06-24, 09:35   Link #1
Soulfang
Inactive Member

Soukyuu no Fafner

After seeing the promo for this, it looks really promising. I love the character designs, done by the same guy who did Gundam Seed. (Hisashi Hirai)

I'm excited for the first episode.
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 09:40   Link #2
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfang
After seeing the promo for this, it looks really promising. I love the character designs, done by the same guy who did Gundam Seed. (Hisashi Hirai)

I'm excited for the first episode.
I hope it doesn't turn out to be another cliche mecha series, but something different. The first two or three episodes made me afraid for Kenran Butoh Sai The Mars Daybreak, but that one pulled through to become really different from most other mecha series... let's hope this one will be good, too.

The character designs definitely caught my eye. If anything, at least they're good
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 09:58   Link #3
cf18
Mecha Pilot

Those walls that popup in the town makes me feel that they may be trying a bit too hard to be like Eva...

So that Athrun and Kagari look alike are guys, right?
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 10:15   Link #4
Boxy

Send a message via MSN to Boxy
Hmm, seems interesting enough. But it screams Eva and Rahxephon to me. I'll admit the character designs and music wern't to shabby tho. I'll give it a bash.
Boxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 13:13   Link #5
The Xenos

Man, is it jsut me or are a lot of these series starting to look all the same, like I've seen it all before? One of the guys looks like one from Gundam Seed, and now I know why as it's the same character designer. Though those things popping up in the city is nothing original, I'm sure even Eva got it from somewhere, that end scene with the glowing angelic mech has been used a few too many times.

As for the trailer, I don't really see why it needed to be subbed. It was only the theme song. I think you can wait for the main series to get that translation. Plus a good deal of it was showing the island and background.

I honestly have stopped getting many new series. They all are seeming too similar and I need to watch what I already got, both fansub and dvd. Is it just me or are there just getting to be too many series? Then again, I'm sure everyone has their different picks. I'll keep checking out trailers though. I might want to check out an ep or two of something. Might check out this one still. Lately I've been getting about four eps just to have a sampling if someone or myself wants to check out a series.

-Xenos
The Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 13:24   Link #6
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, this is from the studio which got us Mobile Battleship Nadesico and Stellvia of the Universe, so despite the cliche look, I'm still anticipating it a lot... Besides if it can do something like RahXephon did compared to EVA, it'll be great for me.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 13:29   Link #7
foxdie

Well, I for one loved both Eva and Rahxephon and this looked like it could rival those two in the coolest mech show dep.
I don't care if it uses cliches as long as it uses them well. I think Eva was fenomal in the walls coming out of the ground dep and this actually looked as good, as did the mech angel thing. I don't mind watching something like that again cause I totally ruined my Eva tapes from watching them to many times.
If The story is good enough I'll definitely keep watching. And the visuals were of quite a high standard. As was the song. I'm glad something like this came along, I've been missing a good mech show of late which isn't anything ecchi or humoristic.
Top of my list.
foxdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 13:31   Link #8
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

Send a message via AIM to Uska Send a message via Yahoo to Uska
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Xenos
As for the trailer, I don't really see why it needed to be subbed. It was only the theme song. I think you can wait for the main series to get that translation. Plus a good deal of it was showing the island and background.
Heh, yea, well that might be you but others might just as well complain that it wasn't translated. This was more of a 'we wanted to' kind of thing. It wouldn't feel right putting our name on the promo and have the rest raw. Plus we're already liking the anime a whole lot, and we all feel it's gonna rawk, and the song is really good too. So we just took a little bit of an extra effort for the promo. Hope everyone enjoys this anime when it's out, most of us love it already and are pretty sure it's gonna be awesome. ^^
Uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 15:00   Link #9
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

the song fly me to the sky in the preview is great, and it reminds me a LOT of tomorrow's brilliant road in Stellva (well they are sung by the same singer so I guess that's a given).

I also love that "golden angelic mecha" at the end, I wonder if that's the main character's mecha? That design rocks and looks very different from the protagonist mecha in EVA or RahXephon (not to mention the "traditional mecha" in Gundam or Macross) and more like something similar to the Angels in EVA or Dolems in RahXephon... actually that mecha reminds me more of a buddha than an angel... maybe I'll call it "golden buddhaic mecha". I love surreal shiny aura stuff

EDIT: Hmm... it seems that golden buddhaic mecha is an enemy... well if that's the case it's too bad... I'd like to see some non-mechanical looking protagonist mechas...

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-06-24 at 16:29.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-24, 20:00   Link #10
Boxy

Send a message via MSN to Boxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
well, this is from the studio which got us Mobile Battleship Nadesico and Stellvia of the Universe, so despite the cliche look, I'm still anticipating it a lot... Besides if it can do something like RahXephon did compared to EVA, it'll be great for me.
I'm inclined to agree. I really like Eva, RahXephon, Nadesico and Stellvia, so im hoping this will be just as good.
Boxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 00:31   Link #11
Ameingoh
lolicomplexed

Send a message via AIM to Ameingoh Send a message via MSN to Ameingoh
i too have to agree on that EVA reminding aspect of the show (or perhaps just of the preview) but i still feel very excited XD

the backgrounds are great, very colorful and fresh, just like the characters and that girl in red with short dark brown hair (1:24 on the SD - SO preview) looks incredibly cute

oh and that song is pretty cool too

UGYAAAH ! *cant wait for the first episode* XD~
Ameingoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 00:37   Link #12
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Looks really cool, but what was wrong with all the characters previewed? Were they all blushing or something, or had they just gotten punched in the face?

anyways, when's the first episode air?
ZeppelinJ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 00:55   Link #13
Soulfang
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeppelinJ0
Looks really cool, but what was wrong with all the characters previewed? Were they all blushing or something, or had they just gotten punched in the face?

anyways, when's the first episode air?
July 4, I believe.
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 04:13   Link #14
Kensuke

So, the summer season is starting, I have so far picked up two series: My Hime and Soukyuu no Fafner.

Heh, when I was watching promo, my first thought was that this is romance series that takes place on tropical island, but then the mechas came... and it seems that I wasn't the only one who had the EVA feeling during this promo.
Really hope that there will be deeper themes in this series, but anyway it looks definetely worth watching.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 05:14   Link #15
Anthriel
天使

Looks like another Eva to me ... even the title of the title song "Fly me to the Sky" sounds similar to "Fly me to the Moon". But then again, I loved Eva and Rahxephon, so I have to give it a shot.

But I wonder ... are there any males in the series? This series seems to have quite a lot bishounen.
Anthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 05:26   Link #16
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthriel
But I wonder ... are there any males in the series? This series seems to have quite a lot bishounen.
Bishounens are males, they just look like girls, or did you mean bishoujo?
But yeah, most of cast is female. (I'm not complaining)
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 13:36   Link #17
IPv6
blastos.com

Saw the preview last night. Looks retarded. Seem to be a merger of Gundam Seed and Stellvia. The character's face are way to freaking sharp (as I stated by when I watched Gundam Seed).

The preview didn't moved me in anyway. 44seconds of the preview was nothing but a freaking island and the song ... OMG ... I had to turn off the volume cause it was so annoying.
IPv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 13:36   Link #18
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Is it my eyes but they are using gundam seed characters on this new series?
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-25, 17:45   Link #19
Anthriel
天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke
Bishounens are males, they just look like girls, or did you mean bishoujo?
But yeah, most of cast is female. (I'm not complaining)
I know, shounen is written 少年 after all (this Jukugo seems so odd to me, it's easy to remember). What I meant is, most (that is every, except for one) characters seem to be quite female to me, however, that many female characters seem unlikely, so some of them will have to be bishounen.

Edit: Wow ... that was the worst english I've written in some time.
Anthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 00:05   Link #20
Tellu54
Banned

Dead Aggressor Plot Summary: (This is dashed off and I take no responsibility for errors.)

A small, quiet island in the corner of Japan. Azure skies and azure ocean as far as the eye can see. To the young men and women who live on this island, today is just a day like any other.

"Are you there?"

One day, the young men and women suddenly recieve this message.
The second they answer 'Yes", a beam of light peirces the azure sky.
The light is blindingly beautiful, and yet it is also the light of war, leading them to a cruel reality. (This could probably be phrased better but you get the point.)

An all too sudden reality, as the enemy suddenly appears.
They are swept up and tossed as if caught in a vast wave.

How should they have answered, in order to live?

Then the young man, Ikki Makebe, decides to pilot Fafnir, "to live" and "to run away from the world." (Lit "run away from now")

BTW the "Ikki" in his name is the same "Ikki" as in "Ikkitousen".
Tellu54 is offline   Reply With Quote