AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-14, 01:49   Link #1001
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
You know you can find reasons to be at any year between 2002 and 2014 right?
I know.

Given the level of technology used in both the anime and the novels, the series has to take place somewhere between 2003 and 2006. This is why "200X" is probably the best date to use.
Old 2009-10-14, 01:51   Link #1002
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Why not 2000 or 2001? About the only thing you can't do is say it takes place before 2000, as that pesky mention of 1999 in the past tense prevents it.
I just took a random number. Probably could be 2000 and 2001 as well.

PP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Given the level of technology used in both the anime and the novels, the series has to take place somewhere between 2003 and 2006. This is why "200X" is probably the best date to use.
Wait, technology level in the novel? This is new for me. I only heard about the anime, which is easly explainable, and is not canon, anyway. But what you are talking about in the novel?
Old 2009-10-14, 01:52   Link #1003
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
200X? Where are all the robots?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-10-14, 01:52   Link #1004
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I just took a random number. Probably could be 2000 and 2001 as well.
They have Windows XP as the "latest model" in the anime. It at least takes place after... 2003, I think, was when XP came out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
200X? Where are all the robots?
Oh shut up.
Old 2009-10-14, 01:55   Link #1005
Heatth

Quote:
They have Windows XP as the "latest model" in the anime. It at least takes place after... 2003, I think, was when XP came out?
I contered it in my edit last post. (danm you fast posting guys). What you mean by tech level in the novles?
Old 2009-10-14, 01:57   Link #1006
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I contered it in my edit last post. (danm you fast posting guys). What you mean by tech level in the novles?
Hmm, actually, you're right, the novel is 'better' about obscuring the date.

I think we can take the anime as canon in that regard, though. It's generally good about things like that.

Also, there's the simple fact that Tanigawa wrote the story in 2003...
Old 2009-10-14, 02:06   Link #1007
Heatth

I said it before, but Tanigawa wrting the story in 2003 is the best argument. It is pretty solid make sense and I cant counter it.

For the anime, while it is very faithful, it is not the same continuity as the novel. Lone Island prooves so. And there Mikuru drinks Amazake, not Tequila. Anyway, evenif we could took everything as truth, it would still not be enough. I mean, they used XP in that scene because they needed to use something, if it was animated today, it might use Vista insted. It is not like they can foresee how the Windows develop.

Also, you could always argue the CCP just like XP interface and choose to keep it. My FireFox interface is very similar to the old Internet Explorer.
Old 2009-10-14, 06:45   Link #1008
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
You can believe what you want to belive, Kaisos, but I'll stand by my argument that
Spoiler for not sure if needed, but:
Even though not everything would automatically make sense, it's the most accurate thing mentioned in the novels.
Old 2009-10-14, 08:49   Link #1009
Heatth

That was aways my point. However, Kogetsu (I believe it was him) pointed that Kyon only confirmed the year after saying something about lucky number (That I interpreted as 777).

Unless you are talking about the promo video, that is as canon as they using Windows XP.
Old 2009-10-14, 09:05   Link #1010
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
No, I was talking about the novel. The fact is that it's Tanabata, so it's automatically 7th of July (or 7-7), and because Kyon said it was a lucky number the only thing that would fit is another 7.
Old 2009-10-14, 09:12   Link #1011
Heatth

As I said, someone (who I believe it was Kogetsu)pointed he looked the year after saying the number is lucky. Here the quote:
Spoiler for meaningless future stuff:
Old 2009-10-14, 09:18   Link #1012
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

Quote:
XP is the operating system, not the model.

And there is something called "the suspension of disbelief," which applies here due to the fact that KyoAni doesn't have a precog on their staff.

The date for the series is 2010 and 2011, regardless of the tech level.

It is sort of like how Eva is set in 2015 and Shinji is still listening to a cassette player rather than an iPod.

When you don't know the future, better to not try to predict it and just go with what the audience finds familiar or likely.

All Glory to the Greentext.
Old 2009-10-14, 09:22   Link #1013
Heatth

By 'latest model' he was talking about the PC, that, being the latest model, probably use the latest operation system.

I would agree with the rest of your post anyway. That "suspension of disbelief". is what I was tryig to say eralier.

Anyway, you can't say for sure that date is 2010 or 2011. No where is said that, unless for a single hint, that is not concistent enough.

Also, your EVA exemple don't fit. In Evangelion the world was kinda destoryed in 2000. Is natural the tech level be kinda late.
Old 2009-10-14, 09:26   Link #1014
Stormwhite

Send a message via MSN to Stormwhite
I still want to see some solid evidence to back up the argument that it's 7/7/7. Or indeed, a reason for it to be 7/7/7 oO
Old 2009-10-14, 09:30   Link #1015
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

Quote:
By 'latest model' he was talking about the PC, that, being the latest model, probably use the latest operation system.

I would agree with the rest of your post anyway. That "suspension of disbelief". is what I was tryig to say eralier.

Anyway, you can't say for sure that date is 2010 or 2011. No where is said that, unless for a single hint, that is not concistent enough.

Also, your EVA exemple don't fit. In Evangelion the world was kinda destoryed in 2000. Is natural the tech level be kinda late.
7/7/07 seems to be the canon date for the "three years ago" that everyone was talking about. Unless they actually meant July of 1907 or 2107 or some variation thereof.

And I'm not going to debate Eva's tech level, or Eva at all.

That show's frakked up.

Old 2009-10-14, 09:31   Link #1016
Stormwhite

Uhm...no it isn't the canon date, where did you get that from?
Old 2009-10-14, 09:37   Link #1017
Heatth

Yeah, where did you get it from? The only hint is the quote in a previous post of mine.
Old 2009-10-14, 09:37   Link #1018
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwhite View Post
Uhm...no it isn't the canon date, where did you get that from?
It's tanabata and it's "what some would consider to be a lucky date."

Tanabata is celebrated on July 7th... July is the seventh month, 7th day, 7th year... 7 is considered lucky to the west...

See where I'm going with that.

I keep trying to find hard evidence to this, but I can't find that there live action teaser that had a 7/7/07 time stamp on it...

Oh wait, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMW5sIe0C5k

Old 2009-10-14, 09:42   Link #1019
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHydra View Post
It's tanabata and it's "what some would consider to be a lucky date."

Tanabata is celebrated on July 7th... July is the seventh month, 7th day, 7th year... 7 is considered lucky to the west...

See where I'm going with that.

I keep trying to find hard evidence to this, but I can't find that there live action teaser that had a 7/7/07 time stamp on it...

Oh wait, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMW5sIe0C5k
Quote:
As I said, someone (who I believe it was Kogetsu)pointed he looked the year after saying the number is lucky. Here the quote:
Spoiler for meaningless future stuff:
Quote:
That was aways my point. However, Kogetsu (I believe it was him) pointed that Kyon only confirmed the year after saying something about lucky number (That I interpreted as 777).

Unless you are talking about the promo video, that is as canon as they using Windows XP.
It is on this very page!
Old 2009-10-14, 09:45   Link #1020
Stormwhite

The actual quote says that it's what some would consider to be a lucky date BEFORE he knows what year it is. I'd imagine the PR of Kadokawa know about most of the fan theories, so of course they'd do something on 7/7/7.

Don't confuse speculation with canon

Tags
comedy, shounen