AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-01, 21:03   Link #21
Vena
Carpe Diem

The way she's going about this is admirable even if she's never going to get what she wants...

Spoiler for Ep 14. Zessi:

I like what they are doing with her character so far... I await to see more good stuff.
Old 2012-04-01, 21:31   Link #22
mayumi

^ i feel she is going to die at the end self-sacrificing and all that at the very end and get few seconds of passing thoughts from amata
the only comfort is that amata's va seems to like zessica's va
Old 2012-04-01, 23:25   Link #23
miketyson

Vena: I didn't realize you meant "further back" than the actual gattai sequence. Moving to spoilers:
Spoiler for Zessica's Concerns:
Old 2012-04-01, 23:31   Link #24
Zuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
^ i feel she is going to die at the end self-sacrificing and all that at the very end and get few seconds of passing thoughts from amata
the only comfort is that amata's va seems to like zessica's va
Don't say that.

If someone deserves to survive, it's her.
Old 2012-04-02, 00:31   Link #25
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Vena: I didn't realize you meant "further back" than the actual gattai sequence. Moving to spoilers:
Spoiler for Zessica's Concerns:
Ahh, that was actually just another line that was somehow really hard for me to hear but I had honestly forgotten about it when asking, and only came back to the top of my head when I was writing. I had a feeling she was repeating Amata's last line when he was sinking away but I honestly wasn't sure. I finally have a raw.. thank god that I no longer have to guess at what people are saying based on drawn expressions.

Spoiler for Enlighten me:
Old 2012-04-02, 00:52   Link #26
Zuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Ahh, that was actually just another line that was somehow really hard for me to hear but I had honestly forgotten about it when asking, and only came back to the top of my head when I was writing. I had a feeling she was repeating Amata's last line when he was sinking away but I honestly wasn't sure. I finally have a raw.. thank god that I no longer have to guess at what people are saying based on drawn expressions.

Spoiler for Enlighten me:

I prefer the switch, mind you.
Old 2012-04-02, 08:38   Link #27
miketyson

Vena: I'll put something in the speculation thread later. But the gist of the ship-jumping idea is basically a combo-attack of (a) Zessica blurting something out real soon now (b) her main rival defecting (a la Ranka, )...or worse and then (c) reincarnation working in a fuzzy-enough way that the shenanigans balance out in her favor (...eventually).
Old 2012-04-02, 11:44   Link #28
ZetaAEUG

If zessica does end up getting closer to amata, I can't really say that it's unexpected. While she may not be spending a lot of time with him lately, she does seem to genuinely care about him, especially in ep 14. I found it significant that everyone buried dealt with their own demons but she was concerned about someone else.
Old 2012-04-03, 22:02   Link #29
Darthtabby

I like Zessica's spunk, but she needs more character development. She's supposed to be one of the main characters but it seems like we barely know anything about her. I'm particularly curious as to what she sees in Amata. It's nice that she's more worried about someone else than herself, but why? Especially when she just seemed to be flirting with him with him in past episodes. What changed?
Old 2012-04-04, 06:00   Link #30
Korps!
Ikarechimattaze!

Whatever people may say the first half didn't bring much developement for most characters, see them in the first episodes and what they have become in episode 13, with a few radical exceptions they are much the same. Exceptions mostly concerned Zessica, Yunoha and mostly Jin. But in Zessica's case they simply trade her cheerful ways for a gloomy backstage by having her hold feelings for Amata... I'm missing the point so far.
Old 2012-04-04, 06:11   Link #31
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korps! View Post
Whatever people may say the first half didn't bring much developement for most characters, see them in the first episodes and what they have become in episode 13, with a few radical exceptions they are much the same. Exceptions mostly concerned Zessica, Yunoha and mostly Jin. But in Zessica's case they simply trade her cheerful ways for a gloomy backstage by having her hold feelings for Amata... I'm missing the point so far.
Development doesn't mean you always have to change the characters. Exploring the different aspects of their character including personality and background counts towards development as well- Hell if you want you could call it 'Character Exploration' if it makes you feel better

I'll roll that statement back to you, can you honestly say your knowledge and understanding of most major and a few minor individuals over the course of those 13 episodes had not expanded or even changed the slightest?
Old 2012-04-05, 06:32   Link #32
Sixth
Hu Tao

what's wrong with her anyway? She somewhat becomes worse and worse after each episode airing.
Old 2012-04-05, 07:13   Link #33
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
what's wrong with her anyway? She somewhat becomes worse and worse after each episode airing.
God forbid she isn't the ideal girl anymore.
Old 2012-04-05, 07:17   Link #34
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I find it interesting that a girl excluding herself from pursuing a boy, while showing she still cares very deeply for him, because of whatever reasons you may cook up (the boy's heart being set upon another girl, loyalty to the other girl, "she got him first", whatever) seems to equal her getting worse in some people's minds.

I just don't get it.

Old 2012-04-05, 07:40   Link #35
Arya

To me her true problem is not her behavior, that's praiseworthy. The true problem is that she had no development in any direction but Amata's connections so far. But it seems to be a character default issue, except for Mikono.
Even if I can see where the doubts on her are coming from, in the little screen-time they gave her, Kawamori was throwing odd hints that usually are no good presaging.
But so far I have faith in her. She didn't give me any (or very little) bad vibes so ...
GO Rank .. Zessica GO

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2012-04-12, 13:24   Link #36
Zuul

My Zessica.

In this episode I liked how she stayed totally honest to Amata even if it didn't put her in a positive light. She didn't try to hide her being a bit happy of that destiny stuff.
Old 2012-04-12, 15:51   Link #37
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Zessica's character development (or "character arc" might be a better way of putting it) has been interesting to me.

It does seem to me like the genki girl character archetype has been refined somewhat, and each genki girl tends to now be given a distinct character arc not unlike the distinct character arc of "Angsty Wimp-to-Bold Hero in 12-to-24 episodes" that's given to many modern anime male leads.

I think that all of the following can be said to be true of Zessica:

1. She starts out headstrong, willful, and playful, as theflyingturkey pointed out.

2. She also starts out a bit impulsive/whimsical. (With Zessica, this made her the perfect foil for the overly conservative Mix)

3. She's courageous.

4. She's fiercely loyal to, and protective of, her friends and loved ones.

5. As her character develops, she goes through a difficult trial, which will include feeling cut off from her closest friends and/or the guy that she loves.

6. This trial will either consume her, or leave her coming out of it stronger than ever.

7. This trial will, in any event, bring out her more serious-minded side, causing her to seem less happy/playful than before. She may even come across as slightly angsty or emo or dark to some viewers.

Now, Zessica fans, does all of this fit for you?

Because if so, Zessica shares all of that with the following recent genki girl characters:

Spoiler for Implied spoilers related to Madoka Magica, Penguin Drum, and Rinne no Lagrange:

Are we seeing the template for the modern genki girl and her character arc, I wonder?

In any event, this anime character archetype has quickly become my favorite one, as it includes many of my favorite female anime characters of recent years. I'm not yet sure if Zessica will become another favorite of mine, though I see potential there. I already like her a lot, but I think she needs a stand-out character moment or two for me to be completely won over by her.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-04-12 at 16:04.
Old 2012-04-12, 16:44   Link #38
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I already like her a lot, but I think she needs a stand-out character moment or two for me to be completely won over by her.

Hmm, the only genki girl I've known you for giving so much affection for is Sayaka... ()

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-04-12 at 16:58.
Old 2012-04-12, 17:07   Link #39
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Hmm, the only genki girl I've known you for giving so much affection for is Sayaka... ()
lol

Well, one of my five all-time favorite anime characters is Haruhi Suzumiya, who is a tsundere genki girl. Other genki girl characters I like a lot are Noe Isurugi, and K-On!'s Yui and Ritsu.
Old 2012-04-12, 18:51   Link #40
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
That is intersting because "genki" wasn't the first term that came to me when I think of Zessica or most of the other characters you mentioned,still not sure I'd use that word with Zessica but regardless your description does fit.

Though to me the big difference with the three exemples is that they got to be in the spotlight in the show they were on more than Zessica has here.

I think a lot of characters would fit that description,not sure if it's really a recent trend but rather one of the "classic" character types.

Tags
characters