Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-31, 00:29   Link #481
Southern Cross
Crux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Clarification, the Police didn't bust the junk market for selling old tech, but because someone was peddling narcotic data.
I wasn't really sure about that myself - thanks for clearing it up - but considering the last episode's events pertaining to my theory of dystopian themes, it might still actually be relevant to my argument.

As such, I'll pose the question: was it really narcotic data? It could've actually been data pertaining to the past that the Fractale system deemed "dangerous to the mind" and therefore made illegal - we can't really say for sure what is the truth behind these things, considering that it seems like the Fractale system is actually exercising some very sinister control over information as suggested by episode 3.
Southern Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 00:39   Link #482
Avvesione

^
Clain called it a data drug and, from the looks of it, the person trying it was getting high off the data. It looks like the data was some sort of depressant, just by judging how the person looked while using it.

Still, that doesn't rule out that the illegal data was some information on 'older technology' like you pointed out. It was being used at the Junk Market, which is already a little shady as it is (said by Clain's parent's doppels). We haven't seen any more on that stuff, so it's rather hard to say what the nature of the data was.

My guess, it was just some downer drugs being peddled by some lowlifes.
Old 2011-01-31, 00:55   Link #483
Southern Cross
Crux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avvesione View Post
^
Clain called it a data drug and, from the looks of it, the person trying it was getting high off the data. It looks like the data was some sort of depressant, just by judging how the person looked while using it.

Still, that doesn't rule out that the illegal data was some information on 'older technology' like you pointed out. It was being used at the Junk Market, which is already a little shady as it is (said by Clain's parent's doppels). We haven't seen any more on that stuff, so it's rather hard to say what the nature of the data was.

My guess, it was just some downer drugs being peddled by some lowlifes.
The dominating influence of a dystopia such as the Fractale system can practically cast anyone and anything out and make him/her/it appear to be the most alien, repulsive thing by controlling all the information circulated behind it. For example, 1984's equivalent to the Fractale system referred to the free will we exercise as thoughtcrime and punished people for it.

Maybe those people appeared to be getting high because they were deeply disillusioned by the present state of technology and confided in data from the past to help them cope with the reality of the Fractale system. This would be Twilight Zone-esque and I'll admit it's a stretch, but it's fitting for a dystopian setting.

Also, how else can "data" as we know it adversely affect one's mind like a drug unless there's something especially profound about it to the extent of psychologically affecting someone to the point of appearing physiological? I don't think people's "terminals" cause them to react to data physiologically like how the human body reacts to drugs. I feel like it's more psychological than that, hinting that there's actually something profound about the content behind the data that apparently threatens the integrity of the Fractale system, causing them to police it the way they did.

I guess the actual truth behind this will only be revealed with further elaboration on how terminals work, how terminals read data and how the Fractale system keeps tabs on individual terminals.
Southern Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 03:48   Link #484
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Wait...what...

They start with showing us LM as some nice little hippy "Grow your own food and live free man" sorta commune and then turn around and show them carelessly killing civilians in a crossfire...Am I missing a step here?

It would have been nice if they could have atleast said or shown that the ones running the system actively attack those that have disconnected because right now all it looks like is an unprovoked attack..."Hey we wanna be free...Oh btw were gonna go gun down some old ladies and if any sap civies get in the way of the bullets OH WELL" what?

If the world is supposed to be of the crapsack variety where no organization is truely good they sure fail at establishing that kind of setting so far...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 05:55   Link #485
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

Trailer people has a whole different meaning in this show. HAHA....moving with the reception. Where do they go if reception terminates ? Trailer about forever looking for it, most likely. Or until the control of the system wears off.
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 07:12   Link #486
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well this show is better than it looked at first. It's like a Miyazaki anime... in the future!

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 07:29   Link #487
hoarfrost

Spoiler for Ep 3:
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 09:38   Link #488
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
Also, how else can "data" as we know it adversely affect one's mind like a drug unless there's something especially profound about it to the extent of psychologically affecting someone to the point of appearing physiological? I don't think people's "terminals" cause them to react to data physiologically like how the human body reacts to drugs. I feel like it's more psychological than that, hinting that there's actually something profound about the content behind the data that apparently threatens the integrity of the Fractale system, causing them to police it the way they did.
Or the data drug (program) interacts with the terminal chip to produce a certain effect similar to taking illicit drugs without physically taking the drug. The terminal chip isn't exactly a benign structure implanted into them. We've seen some of what it can do.
Old 2011-01-31, 09:48   Link #489
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Or the data drug (program) interacts with the terminal chip to produce a certain effect similar to taking illicit drugs without physically taking the drug. The terminal chip isn't exactly a benign structure implanted into them. We've seen some of what it can do.
Yeah, basically like Matrix editing. It seems there's a lot of affecting people's actions and experiences through the terminals. We probably haven't even seen the most important stuff it can do, either.
Old 2011-01-31, 11:24   Link #490
Avvesione

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post

I guess the actual truth behind this will only be revealed with further elaboration on how terminals work, how terminals read data and how the Fractale system keeps tabs on individual terminals.
Data can affect the mind in various ways. Keep in mind that Nessa is only data but I'll bet you (and most people) still sometimes think of her as a human instead of just a fancy hologram. It certainly has had that effect on Clain and Enri.

Also a drug in the most basic sense is a 'substance that causes a therapeutic effect in the body', so data could be considered a drug in this case. Perhaps the data interacts with some of the nanomachines in the body to, let's just say, give the effect of an opioid or something. I'm not entirely sure since it was such a short scene but those are my thoughts behind it. Maybe we'll find out later what they were doing exactly.
Old 2011-01-31, 12:41   Link #491
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Let's see:
  • Cheap copy of real world frustration; with little to no emotional backend
  • A cent a dozen character development: kill unimportant side-characters
And you're telling me the show is now of higher quality?
Who mentioned quality? I mean if you want to discuss quality, then Fractale is and always shall be the bastard stepchild of the Noitamina winter season, lost in the shadows of the far, far superior Hourou Musuko.

But I mentioned my own ratings ladder, which does not necessarily depend on quality (I'll watch crap if it's FUNNY crap), but on whether the show is interesting, or moving, or otherwise entertaining.

Fractale hadn't really scored on any point, and I'd been starting to wonder if it would be the first Noitamina show I dropped. Episode one didn't grab me. Episode 2 was vaguely irritating. After episode 3 I did find myself thinking "So where are they going from here?" We shall see. I suspect that fat comedy henchman will just be wounded and back at comedy henchman duties next week, though.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 12:46   Link #492
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I suspect that fat comedy henchman will just be wounded and back at comedy henchman duties next week, though.
Technically they do have access to very advanced medical technology. So it's very very possible, but we'll see.
Old 2011-01-31, 13:10   Link #493
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Technically they do have access to very advanced medical technology. So it's very very possible, but we'll see.
But the people who might want to revive him don't have access OR choose to not use it out of principle, so I don't think it's likely he lives. Unless of course, the crazy old ladies (or Real!Nessa or Phryne) can revive everyone who was downed and just brainwash them again.
Old 2011-01-31, 13:49   Link #494
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
But the people who might want to revive him don't have access OR choose to not use it out of principle, so I don't think it's likely he lives.
Oh pretty sure they do. If you are referring to the hospital I think they stated that was a temporary field one for insignificant cases. They seem to have access to dropel seeing glasses and other junk so it's unlikely they don't have access to medical treatment; particularly in their line of work.
Old 2011-01-31, 13:55   Link #495
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Oh pretty sure they do. If you are referring to the hospital I think they stated that was a temporary field one for insignificant cases. They seem to have access to dropel seeing glasses and other junk so it's unlikely they don't have access to medical treatment; particularly in their line of work.
Clain wondered why they didn't go to a hospital (slash whatever 'normal' people do when sick), and the mean old guy (possibly elder?) basically shot down anyone in the village wanting to go get good medical treatment, if it meant giving up their freedom.

So... no, I disagree. The tech they have access to may be awesome from our standpoint, but to Clain it would be antique!awesome.
Old 2011-01-31, 14:15   Link #496
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Ep3, around minute 9.

They explicitly state they have another hospital and treat simple cases where they are now. Cain states "being linked to the fractale" would provide access to expert medical treatment, from his statement beforehand that "he never seen so many patients in one place" it's safe to assume treatment would be provided by a dropel, and not that they would have access to a expert (physical) hospital.
Old 2011-01-31, 14:40   Link #497
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

I fully support the Fractale system if it isn't matrix like (that is everything is real) and the doppels really work the fields/mines/factories and not brainwashed slaves and they take out the mind control mechanism.

In such a world anarchists would be able to damage part of the Fractale system but repairing it would be easy with doppels. Everyone gets to do what they want and social bonds would be renewed at the level each person desired aka hermits can become hermits and the rest can function like a normal town. Those interested could become farmers, food would be real and new inventions would explode as people end up having much more free time
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 14:56   Link #498
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post
I fully support the Fractale system
Why aren't you living in a communist country then?
Old 2011-01-31, 17:17   Link #499
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Why are you talking about communist country ?
Old 2011-01-31, 17:22   Link #500
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Quote:
You mean communist countries have automatons working the fields and mines and factories and i don't need to work for survivial and just need to work for recreation? Well sign me up!
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-1 pictures, noitamina, yamamoto yutaka