AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Old 2007-01-07, 14:06   Link #1521
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Need some Japanese help from one of the game players, if it's not too much trouble.
Am I correct in assuming that the word まもの, rendered "demon" in the fansubs, is 魔者 in kanji?
まもの 魔物
an evil spirit; a devil; a demon.

That's how it's written in the game too.
guuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 15:02   Link #1522
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
まもの 魔物
an evil spirit; a devil; a demon.

That's how it's written in the game too.
Ah, I got the wrong もの. Thanks
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-09, 20:36   Link #1523
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Here's something I've always thought about. Akiko-san and Sayuri-san in a cooking competition; who would win?

I don't know the answer myself, but I have a strong feeling that the answer involves the words, "the jam will do her in."

Oh, while we're talking about jam, here's another thought. Of everyone in Kanon, it might well be Sayuri-san who would be the only one who can eat Akiko-san's jam, and tell you to your face that she likes it. I mean,

1) She's a rich girl. Rich people have this hobby of acquiring...acquired tastes.
2) She's the only other person in Kanon who apparently can cook. And someone else said about good cooks, is that every one of them has at least one "signature dish" that makes everyone else go "urgh!" It might well be Sayuri-san has such a "signature dish" herself....it's just that no one has yet had the misfortune to try it (except perhaps Mai?)
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-09, 21:21   Link #1524
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Ah, I got the wrong もの. Thanks
You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
2) She's the only other person in Kanon who apparently can cook. And someone else said about good cooks, is that every one of them has at least one "signature dish" that makes everyone else go "urgh!" It might well be Sayuri-san has such a "signature dish" herself....it's just that no one has yet had the misfortune to try it (except perhaps Mai?)
Actually, Nayuki can cook too. Yeah, she doesn't look like it, and Akiko usually take cares of all the meals, that's why even U1 didn't find out till much later. U1 was surprised when he tried her handmade bentou, and praised it.
guuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 06:42   Link #1525
Ascaloth

Until now, it seems as if there's still quite a number of people who don't fully understand the actual impact of the Kanon storyline, so here's my treatise on why this is the case:

Spoiler for to keep it tidy:
Old 2007-01-13, 07:01   Link #1526
Skane
Anime Snark

There will always be detractors. Even mega-popular anime series like NGE, Macross, SHnY, etc... have detractors. There is no single anime that has a completely polarised audience.

I don't mind some of the confusion, because it lends itself well to discussion, and not all detractors remain detractors. Some will change their minds half-way and come to like it, and some will not.

So long as they post their thoughts coherently, and explain properly on why they feel negative about it, I don't mind replying to them. I myself am a detractor of several animes, and I often make the effort to explain WHY I dislike those animes.

Cheers.
Old 2007-01-13, 11:45   Link #1527
New/Old
Old to the New

Good thoughts there, Ascaloth. But I do not mind confusion as well. If someone has a question, it will lead to some good discussion. Detractors aren't bad if they present their views logically and neatly. This leads to good, serious discussion where a host of good thoughts can come out of.

Plus, it's a good chance for us veterans to consider things and respond in kind.
Old 2007-01-21, 06:19   Link #1528
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Chart showing the number of Seconds the girl appear onscreen till Ep 15.

Surprisingly, Makoto is in the lead.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-21, 08:36   Link #1529
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post

Name translations please.

Cheers.
Old 2007-01-21, 08:42   Link #1530
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Name translations please.

Cheers.
Wow, Skane. That just proved that while you may be Singaporean, you're definitely NOT a Chinese Singaporean.....otherwise you would have no problems reading the kanji.

Anyway, from left to right;

Nayuki
Ayu
Makoto
Mai
Shiori

Sayuri
Kaori
Mishio
Old 2007-01-21, 10:16   Link #1531
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post

Convert into minutes as well:
Nayuki - 4066 seconds / 67.76 mins
Ayu - 3240/54
Makoto - 5130/85.5
Mai - 3633/60.55
Shiori - 1020/17
Sayuri - 1918/31.97
Kaori - 481/8.01
Mishio - 879/14.65

Episode 16 probably added 10-15 minutes more for Shiori, and next episode would add another 10-15, which would add up to 40+ by the end of 17.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-21, 10:36   Link #1532
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
even being inactive for soo long makoto is still in the lead ~ nice

as expected shiori is quite low (i dont like >.<) but i wouldnt have guess for nayuki to be that high O.o

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-21, 10:50   Link #1533
Skane
Anime Snark

So despite being a distant 3rd... Mai has already been disposed of?

Old 2007-01-21, 13:43   Link #1534
Meophist

I was thinking of how Nayuki got 3 seconds of screentime in episode 15. Then I remembered the phone scene.
Meophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-21, 14:09   Link #1535
Devil Doll
My name? But my name is..

Thanks for backing up my complaint that 2k6 wasted too much time with Makoto (even though she'll end up in third place, obviously).
Devil Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-21, 14:29   Link #1536
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
but i wouldnt have guess for nayuki to be that high O.o
Not that surprising though, if you look carefully, she is the only girl who appeared in all the episodes. Episode 16 included.

As for Makoto being the current lead:

Spoiler for anime happenings until episode 16:

I wonder who took his time to count the screentime seconds ^^ ... though it was interesting to read.
Old 2007-01-21, 14:30   Link #1537
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I don't think time on Makoto was wasted. It's still the best arc so far, as it was before.
Old 2007-01-21, 17:02   Link #1538
Noran
Musouka

Location: In a peaceful, serene place at night, watching the beautiful stars twinkle in sight
Send a message via AIM to Noran Send a message via MSN to Noran
I can't wait for the next episode! :[

Do you guys ever prefer fansubs groups over others? If so, do you ever wait for their episodes to be submitted or do you just watch whatever fansub group releases the episode first?

So far I like the SS-Eclipse episodes for Kanon.

Noran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-21, 17:29   Link #1539
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

SS-Eclipse has been what I'm watching but I've found some of their translations don't quite match how I'd translate it (e.g. the way they handled some of the lines for Shiori's "cold" or some of the implied meanings under an occasional piece of dialog missed). Translation is somewhat of an art form rather than science so I prefer to avoid "which is right" because it depends on decisions made about the process.
I've yet to look at Sprocket's attempts... I remember one series where I ended up downloading the releases of THREE fansub groups and never could settle on one because each of them had translation wierdness in different episodes.

I like to keep my fansubs all from one group if possible (font and style continuity) ... so I'm known to wait for the group I prefer as long as they don't fall too far behind.

I think this week I'll select one episode with known complexities, download all 4 group's release of that episode and make a decision (a.f.k., SS-Eclipse, Sprocket, Aquastar) on which to settle on. Its somewhat important to me because I have very little optimism about Kanon ever being released in R1 lands.
Old 2007-01-21, 17:35   Link #1540
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I'm watching TWH&SP hq subs, but they've started taking too long to get released and I'm still at ep 14 But from what I recall the video quality seems better than the rest so I got stuck to them From what I remember the sub quality is identical to the rest of the subgroups.

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen