AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-21, 17:30   Link #261
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
There are no paradoxes in Haruhi.

Except the mole thing.

And the whole "Kyon giving Haruhi the idea to go to North High" fiasco in Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody.
Those are not paradoxes in the sense the word is normally used regarding time travel. A temporal paradox is an event that would prevent itself from happening: killing you parents before you are born, preventing you from existing, so you couldn't kill them, so they'd survive, so you would exist, etc, etc... They are self-contradictory.

The events you listed are self-confirming events. The events further down the timeline could not have occurred without the earlier events, which only occurred because of the later events. These are commonly referred to as "causal loops" and should not be called paradoxes if only to prevent further confusion.

The thing that started in Volume 4 and ended in the prologue of Volume 7 is an example of another causal loop.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-07-21 at 17:32. Reason: Removed specific future event novel spoiler
Old 2009-07-21, 17:34   Link #262
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
I don't remenber Intrigues being paradoxal. Care to explain?

(what is "fiasco" BTW? We have the same word in portuguese, but it don't seens to fit here)
"Fiasco" means something has gone horribly wrong. Intrigues, well...
Spoiler for Intrigues:
Old 2009-07-21, 17:41   Link #263
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
"Fiasco" means something has gone horribly wrong. Intrigues, well...
Spoiler for Intrigues:
Oh, "fiasco" is that in portuguese too (I didn't understand how it apply to Banboo Leaf, then).

About the spoiler. It is not paradoxal. It is just a closed loop.

I had a discussion with Sute about this some time ago and I think he could explain it better. Anyway, there is no problem on the "acausality" so there is no paradox on a closed loop.

Last edited by Heatth; 2009-07-21 at 18:35.
Old 2009-07-21, 19:34   Link #264
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
The events you listed are self-confirming events. The events further down the timeline could not have occurred without the earlier events, which only occurred because of the later events. These are commonly referred to as "causal loops" and should not be called paradoxes if only to prevent further confusion.
... Have you ever heard of an ontological paradox?

Quote:
An ontological paradox is a paradox of time travel that questions the existence and creation of information and objects that travel in time. It is very closely related to the predestination paradox and usually occurs at the same time.

Because of the possibility of influencing the past while time traveling, one way of explaining why history does not change is by saying that whatever has happened was meant to happen. A time traveler attempting to alter the past in this model, intentionally or not, would only be fulfilling his role in creating history, not changing it. The Novikov self-consistency principle proposes that contradictory causal loops cannot form, but that consistent ones can.

However, a scenario can occur where items or information are passed from the future to the past, which then become the same items or information that are subsequently passed back. This not only creates a loop, but a situation where these items have no discernible origin. Physical items are even more problematic than pieces of information, since they should ordinarily age and increase in entropy according to the Second law of thermodynamics. But if they age by any nonzero amount at each cycle, they cannot be the same item to be sent back in time, creating a contradiction unless it is a reproduced item such as a seed, spore, etc.
This is specifically what happens when it comes to the knowledge of Mikuru's mole.

I will, however, admit that the instance I mentioned for Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody is predestination(the "causal loop" you mentioned), not ontological. Forgive my mistake there.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-07-22, 00:52   Link #265
Alesiopdv
True Believer of Haruhi

Really? What about Kyon
Spoiler for Vanishment:
Old 2009-07-22, 01:00   Link #266
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
I have, and if you'd specified ontological I wouldn't have taken any issue with it. My problem was merely that when people mention paradoxes in a time travel context, the grandfather paradox is what comes to mind, not the ontological paradox. Clarity is important, especially when dealing with subjects that tend to confuse people.

You may wish to check the Predestination Paradox page, as it describes the exact same process that would apply to knowledge of Mikuru's mole as well. The two are similar enough that trying to say it only fits into one of them feels like splitting hairs.

Oh, and Alesiopdv, another aspect of what you brought up is that
Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-11, 01:32   Link #267
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Some stuff is essentially a time paradox (or whatever the technically correct term is...)

Spoiler:

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
Old 2010-03-02, 18:48   Link #268
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Reviving the thread, I forgot that I actually did a complete analysis of the second opening, which I don't think anyone has done.

Spoiler for Op:
Old 2010-03-03, 10:35   Link #269
Tabasco

I haven't seen anything like that either, so thanks for pulling it together.

No surprises for any of the character associations, except a couple for Koizumi. What on earth is 'gobang' besides the obvious? And I think its interesting that they cast doubt on his supposed insight right in the opening credits.
Old 2010-03-04, 00:07   Link #270
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

This is specifically what happens when it comes to the knowledge of Mikuru's mole.

I will, however, admit that the instance I mentioned for Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody is predestination(the "causal loop" you mentioned), not ontological. Forgive my mistake there.
Ontological paradox is only a paradox at all because most people insist everything in time had to be linear. i.e. there is a start, middle, and an end. But the whole point with time loops is that a loop doesn't need a beginning or end. There is no RULE that states something has to come from somewhere. It just has to be consistent, it doesn't need an origin at all.

It's like how a Möbius strip has only one side. You might ask, how could a piece of paper not have a top and bottom? But a Möbius strip exists, it isn't a paradox. It is just unconventional.
Old 2010-03-23, 21:14   Link #271
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

Quote:

And this also explians in some funny way Koizumi eyeing Kyon's mole in the episode "Lone Island Syndrome". All this time I was SO confused on what the meaning behind Koizumi looking at a random mole on Kyon, but now I realize that was Koizumi's realization that Kyon has time traveled before. (Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody)

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
Old 2010-03-23, 22:06   Link #272
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaruhiIncarnate View Post
And this also explians in some funny way Koizumi eyeing Kyon's mole in the episode "Lone Island Syndrome". All this time I was SO confused on what the meaning behind Koizumi looking at a random mole on Kyon, but now I realize that was Koizumi's realization that Kyon has time traveled before. (Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody)
So that's what the mole is about?!
Old 2010-03-23, 22:21   Link #273
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
That's a bit of a stretch...

Heck, who am I kidding... That's a hell of a stretch... Considering this is Haruhi, I would say stranger things have happened, but they really haven't.
Old 2010-03-23, 22:41   Link #274
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post

Heck, who am I kidding... That's a hell of a stretch... Considering this is Haruhi, I would say stranger things have happened, but they really haven't.
I wish we had a reason for the camera lingering so lovingly on that carefully rendered mole, though. What Kogetsu said a while back, and having it linked to the mole, is enough to get it to not be so bothersome. (Though I don't think it had anything to do with Koizumi realizing Kyon had time-travelled.)
Old 2010-03-23, 22:51   Link #275
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
I wish we had a reason for the camera lingering so lovingly on that carefully rendered mole, though. What Kogetsu said a while back, and having it linked to the mole, is enough to get it to not be so bothersome. (Though I don't think it had anything to do with Koizumi realizing Kyon had time-travelled.)
Maybe they initially had the drunken scenes planned and when that fell through had to whip up something they could easily storyboard and animate over a monologue so the timing would be right. In most situations during the first season, a monologue like that would have been slimmed down. Who knows... Weird mole is weird...
Old 2010-03-23, 23:26   Link #276
baltakatei

Quote:
Maybe they initially had the drunken scenes planned and when that fell through had to whip up something they could easily storyboard and animate over a monologue so the timing would be right. In most situations during the first season, a monologue like that would have been slimmed down. Who knows... Weird mole is weird...
So er...

Nice mole.
Old 2010-03-24, 07:09   Link #277
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

Quote:

Well according to a time traveling theory(don't know which one though. it was mentioned here) that when an object time travels, it's not the same product as it was before, creating an anomalie on the object (mark, mole ect.) This explains Mikuru's starshaped mole and Kyon's mole.

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
Old 2010-03-24, 10:14   Link #278
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
Quote:
Well according to a time traveling theory(don't know which one though. it was mentioned here) that when an object time travels, it's not the same product as it was before, creating an anomalie on the object (mark, mole ect.) This explains Mikuru's starshaped mole and Kyon's mole.
so each time you timetravel, you get an anomaly? freaky...wonder why mikuru doesnt have a 3rd arm by now.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
Old 2010-03-24, 12:04   Link #279
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Now that is a stretch... ^_^

Anyway. Kyon doesn't have a mole, or at least not one related to the story in any way. It's not mentioned in the novels at all. That whole take on that scene is something they made up for the anime.
Old 2011-06-27, 17:57   Link #280
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Surprise has really got my puzzling over a few statements made by a certain Anti-SOS Dan member.

Spoiler for Surprise Chapter 5 excerpt:

That information certainly puts Disappearance in a new light.

Spoiler for Chapter 5 another Kuyou excerpt:

I'm not sure but I think the Anthropic Principle was invoked in the middle of that. That would be an interesting echo of what Koizumi had said.

Spoiler for Disappearance and Surprise questions and thoughts.:
Closed Thread