AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On!! (Second Season) - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 33 37.08%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 26.97%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 23.60%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 7.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.37%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.12%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-08, 09:00   Link #121
TakuanInc.
loves Marisa Kirisame.

Send a message via MSN to TakuanInc. Send a message via Yahoo to TakuanInc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
I would just like to post these lines from pre-production (not yet edited), and you tell me what you would think, if you couldn't see the video:

Jun: Then why don't we play a session with the 3 of us.
Ui: huh?
Jun: It's raining, so it'll be okay even if we make lots of sound, right?
Azusa: The 3 of us?
Azusa: ah that might be fun!
Ui: eh, but will I be able to do it properly?
Jun: It's okay, We'll be doing simple stuff

Damn you...script writer...
Oh god...HAHAHAHA.
Old 2010-05-08, 09:11   Link #122
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

This week in K-ON!!

- The background characters get their chance to shine! Okay, so Azu-nyan isn't really a background character (though, given that some folks have complained that she disrupts the band dynamics . . . your results may vary,) but Ui and Nameless Girl Jun are.

- Ui shows that she's got Yui's idiot-savant powers, only without the idiot part!

- Hot girl-on-phone action! Seriously, it's hot.

- Episode-to-episode continuity!

- "See how these two girls have nearly identical, blandly-generic features? These are redshirts. If an alien monster attacks from the Occult Club, let them handle it."

I liked it. The background characters got some real character development. And they had a jam session! Nine hungry, neglected Ton-chans out of ten.
Old 2010-05-08, 09:49   Link #123
Viridian

Liked this episode. Jun seems to be a combination of Yui's ditziness and Ritsu's weird sense of humour/insecurity.

Azusa actually screamed "Nya!" at the end when Yui jumped her, wasn't expecting that from her
Old 2010-05-08, 18:16   Link #124
chaos_animagic

LOL, I loved Azunyaa's "Nya!"

That just increased her moe meter through the roof,
screw that... the sky,
ok ok... maybe it's through the heavens...

Also, Ui is too "perfect" she hit a home run on her first time playing base ball... just by listening to what she should do...
Ui learn too fast, if she wanted, Ui could probably be one of the smartest person in the world, LOL.

And that "script"... haha... someone should totally draw up a pic of what they think it was happening...
Old 2010-05-08, 19:41   Link #125
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ui is basically a modern yamato nadeshiko with budding yandere impulses. She's a "perfect" modern girl (cooks, home econ queen, athletic, academic genius, musical savant, etc) and the stress of being perfect is building

Then again, its possible she's an alien
Old 2010-05-08, 21:06   Link #126
sunwen

I have never seen Yamato nadeshiko in the real world.
Because such a Japanese doesn't exist since beginning.
It only exists as an ideal that doesn't actually exist.
Old 2010-05-08, 23:55   Link #127
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

um yeah, that's pretty obvious - its an archetype, like the tsundere or any other personality archetype is an imaginary ideal.
Old 2010-05-09, 00:18   Link #128
wingman32x

Just watched episode 5, and I'm pretty impressed. I liked how they gave nearly all the screen time to the side characters. It really helps flesh them out. I'm beginning to like Jun. She seems pretty funny. Azu-nyan was cute as usual, and I really liked Ui this episode. Overall, a great episode that gave some side characters much needed development. Season two has really impressed me so far.

9/10.
Old 2010-05-09, 00:59   Link #129
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
um yeah, that's pretty obvious - its an archetype, like the tsundere or any other personality archetype is an imaginary ideal.
Tsunderes do exist. Yamato Nadeshikos don't.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-05-09, 01:28   Link #130
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Then... what do ya'll call all the characters in all the anime who are "yamato nadeshiko" types?
Old 2010-05-09, 01:34   Link #131
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Then... what do ya'll call all the characters in all the anime who are "yamato nadeshiko" types?
I was referring to IRL. Unless governments remove those lousy gene splicing laws, we can never have catgirls.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-05-09, 08:51   Link #132
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Thumbs up

I loved this eps. K-on has gone from a moefest in season one to a REALLY well produced slice of life series in season two. I've seen a lot of anime, but none that have threaded the little mundane details of the average day as well as this. The scenes where they get the random "skull" text and the phonecall from Yui looking for directions were so well done. They took me totally by surprise as they happened just the way they did for the characters, and Ui & Azu's reactions were perfect.

If Ui & Jun DON'T end up joining the club late in the season, it'll be such a waste of a perfect setup. You can see the potential between these girls and Azu makes a perfect bridge between them. The seniors have great chemistry and even if they go on to be OLs instead of rock & rollers, the next generation with Azusa's potential band could be launched into the spotlight by their sempai's lack of initiative.

I enjoy Kakifly's manga immensely, but KyoAni has plussed the heck out of this series as it's gone into season 2.

On a pure animation enjoyment level, I give this 10/10!
Old 2010-05-09, 15:54   Link #133
stubby42

I throughly enjoyed this episode, maybe even more than the normal ones with the main cast.

As for the suggestion that Yamato nadeshiko types dont exist in the real world, i'd say that thats a little bit of an exageration, yes the characters in anime are at an extreme end of the scale but there are people out their that are like that.

One of the things that really struck me about this episode was that Ui, when it came down to is a mother, through and through she just doesnt have kids.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has met girls that for whatever reason cant help but act like a mother so they end up treating their friends like kids, not in a bad or creepy way mind its just they sort of end up taking on that role.

One of my R.A's on college was exactly like that, my friends and I used to go longboarding and inevitably we'd do something stupid and hurt ourselves and she usually ended up patching us up (cause she had the medical kit).

I dont know its kind of hard to put in words but you always got that vibe from her, she was born to be a mother.

Thats basically how I see Ui, the moment that really brought it home in this episode was at the sleep over where Azusa was venting how she was worried she'd be left out because she's missed out on what she felt was a really important bonding experience.

Ui changed the subject then made the moment completely about Azusa, asking her what she wanted to do tommorow, that scene felt more like a mother cheering up her daughter rather than a girl cheering up her friend.
Old 2010-05-09, 18:06   Link #134
GreatTeacherKen

I agree that Ui gives off a motherly vibe, especially when she interacts with Yui. I suppose since their parents aren't home much Ui, being the more hard-working and less scatter-brained of the two, takes up the role of caretaker which might explain her personality.

Yui might as well call Ui Okaasan.
Old 2010-05-09, 18:14   Link #135
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby42 View Post
I throughly enjoyed this episode, maybe even more than the normal ones with the main cast.

As for the suggestion that Yamato nadeshiko types dont exist in the real world, i'd say that thats a little bit of an exageration, yes the characters in anime are at an extreme end of the scale but there are people out their that are like that.

One of the things that really struck me about this episode was that Ui, when it came down to is a mother, through and through she just doesnt have kids.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has met girls that for whatever reason cant help but act like a mother so they end up treating their friends like kids, not in a bad or creepy way mind its just they sort of end up taking on that role.

One of my R.A's on college was exactly like that, my friends and I used to go longboarding and inevitably we'd do something stupid and hurt ourselves and she usually ended up patching us up (cause she had the medical kit).

I dont know its kind of hard to put in words but you always got that vibe from her, she was born to be a mother.

Thats basically how I see Ui, the moment that really brought it home in this episode was at the sleep over where Azusa was venting how she was worried she'd be left out because she's missed out on what she felt was a really important bonding experience.

Ui changed the subject then made the moment completely about Azusa, asking her what she wanted to do tommorow, that scene felt more like a mother cheering up her daughter rather than a girl cheering up her friend.
Aye... know exactly what you mean... there's usually at least one "mom-peer" in many groups who does what a mom might do discreetly to make things better. That instance with Ui and Azusa was *exactly* the sort of moment.
Old 2010-05-09, 20:33   Link #136
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Quote:
Aye... know exactly what you mean... there's usually at least one "mom-peer" in many groups who does what a mom might do discreetly to make things better. That instance with Ui and Azusa was *exactly* the sort of moment.
Agree, that was a well done slice of Ui's personality being refined for the audience. Maybe the reason Yui is the WAY she is, lies at the feet of her younger sister? Azu will fall prey to her and find herself dependent on Ui to care for her... More likely, Jun will begin to take advantage of Ui's willingness to be "supportive"... Jun has a little of the Ritsu in her I think, just as Azu has a bit of MioStyle in her as well...
Old 2010-05-09, 23:47   Link #137
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
If Azunyan ever has a child people are going to mistake their family as a single parent with a daughter and her sibling .

Old 2010-05-10, 00:19   Link #138
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
If Azunyan ever has a child people are going to mistake their family as a single parent with a daughter and her sibling .
I actually know a least a few women that has happened to in real life.
Example: one of my wife's cousin who's even more Azusa-ish, when she was raising her first kid was always being told to "go get your mommy if you want to try the food sample" at the grocery store (she was in her mid-20s, kid was 3ish). She ranted quite a bit about it at a family gathering. Her husband has some interesting "cradle robbing glare" stories of his own over the years.
Old 2010-05-10, 01:37   Link #139
StudioJC
Loser-Bum

If Kyoani's going to push for a third season, I wonder if they're going to place Azu-nyan and her classmates at the helm instead of following Miyo and co continue their music until they reach Budokan.
Old 2010-05-10, 03:29   Link #140
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Depends entirely on Kakifly and the author I suppose. So far many series seem more comfortable with swapping characters out rather than changing the setting. I keep rooting for some mangaka to be brave enough to *follow the damn characters* out the door from graduation.