AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-02-04, 12:09   Link #41
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
it's always a 50/50 chance.
We are not fliping coins here; there are some facts to make the outcome a bit more obvious.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 12:14   Link #42
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
We are not fliping coins here; there are some facts to make the outcome a bit more obvious.
& they're not really 'facts' in my book. Just saying.
Old 2011-02-04, 12:18   Link #43
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
^ What are they then? The faulty endings and the bad economics are speculations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
For all you know Gonzo may have gotten its act together and make an ending that's more of... say... Speed Grapher's last half (though I presume YMMV)..
They sure took their time if they plan to do that
And in case they shapen up by changing the staff and doing drastic changes in visuals and scriptwritting, they will be practically GONZO only in name.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 13:12   Link #44
Nemuru

Quote:
snip...
Seems like you weren't coming here interested in the first place. In general sequel are usually for the fans of the first series. While as you say that people might have seen Bounen no Xamdou as a better show I did wonder about sales.

Quote:
Xam'd: Lost Memories (Bounen no Xam'd) (ONA) *1,504 (9) (Bones/Sentai Filmworks)
2009/07/22 *1,958 Vol. 1 (Two episodes)
2009/08/26 *1,753 Vol. 2 (Three episodes up to Vol. 9)
2009/09/30 *1,673 Vol. 3
2009/10/28 *1,499 Vol. 4
2009/11/25 *1,393 Vol. 5
2009/12/23 *1,322 Vol. 6
2010/01/27 *1,344 Vol. 7
2010/02/24 *1,334 Vol. 8
2010/03/24 *1,262 Vol. 9
These Number can be irrelevant has far as fans are concern but a lot of people did enjoy last exile for what it was. I’m not surprise people like to spread doomsday message before anything was announced (animation, staff) . In the end it is better late than never, if Xebec somehow declare a Nadesico S2 im sure the fan’s would rejoice in a similar manner. So is there a need to stir things up further?
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 17:13   Link #45
LKK

Any knowledge or speculation as to what the "Fam" in the title means?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 20:00   Link #46
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
These Number can be irrelevant has far as fans are concern but a lot of people did enjoy last exile for what it was. I’m not surprise people like to spread doomsday message before anything was announced (animation, staff) . In the end it is better late than never, if Xebec somehow declare a Nadesico S2 im sure the fan’s would rejoice in a similar manner. So is there a need to stir things up further?
You mean after Prince of Darkness. Yeah, right.

Numbers are relevant especially that last one of over 1,000 units. Last Exile is a Western focused title which had a proper ending. I'm still betting it was picked to showcase their 3D talents.

Hopefully, they'll get the Range Murata character designs done better this time. Hated the Shangri-la adaptation of Range Murata's character designs.
Old 2011-02-04, 20:07   Link #47
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post

I don't know, but I'm sure the answer and the discussion that'll ensue will be far more interesting than hearing about Gonzo's misfortune for another 5 pages. That said I understand.peoples apprehensions, but am saddened to see once again peoples personal observations being portrayed as evidence of anything regarding this shows production. We know nothing right now other than the title, I know its tough to admit it, but I think that's the sole fact we have before us.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 23:37   Link #48
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

For some reason I thought the fam might be sort for "family" but that wouldn't make much sense with the "the silver wing" part.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 06:10   Link #49
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I have no clue what Fam means either. It could simply be the new main character's name/nickname.
Old 2011-02-05, 13:09   Link #50
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I have no clue what Fam means either. It could simply be the new main character's name/nickname.
I agree with that. The "Silver Wing" part is more like a title than anything else.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 00:18   Link #51
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
What about the name of the original vanship (Lavi's and Claus' dad pilot)? Technically, the show ended so maybe this is a prequel involving the treaty that never got delivered, the 2 dads, Alex and his fiance.
Old 2011-02-07, 02:07   Link #52
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Spoiler for Scan:

Director: Koichi Chigira
Character Design: Range Murata
Production Design: Makoto Kobayashi
Series Composition: Kiyoko Yoshimura

Fam is the main character, the series is about her exploring the skies blahblahblah. The other character shown is called Jizel.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-07, 02:27   Link #53
TJR

Koichi Chigira's return is no surprise.

Kiyoko Yoshimura, on the other hand......
Well, let's hope she gets it right this time.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 20:35   Link #54
DangerMouse

The official site also revealed a couple more very key returning names

The animation character designer of the original Last Exile, Osamu Horiuchi, is back. So the adaptation of Murata's designs will hopefully be as amazing as they were in the first series.

And music composer Hitomi Kuroishi is also back from the first series, would be great if she could call in some of her Dolce Triade group again too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Spoiler for Scan:

Director: Koichi Chigira
Character Design: Range Murata
Production Design: Makoto Kobayashi
Series Composition: Kiyoko Yoshimura

Fam is the main character, the series is about her exploring the skies blahblahblah. The other character shown is called Jizel.
Thanks for the scan! Well that's not a problem, that was ofcourse the vague initial theme of the first series before they detailed what Claus and Lavie were about to get involved in. The official site is already apparently talking about a large scale conflict and large fleets so as hoped it would seem just like the first series the great steampunk grandeur of aviation theme is the makings of the great background setting. With something more epic/weighty in the forefront. With all the key staff back so far my only worry is the iffy/still kind of newcomer for series composition, but hopefully they are all pitching in like with the first series where Chiriga also had some story credits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
You mean after Prince of Darkness. Yeah, right.

Numbers are relevant especially that last one of over 1,000 units. Last Exile is a Western focused title which had a proper ending. I'm still betting it was picked to showcase their 3D talents.

Hopefully, they'll get the Range Murata character designs done better this time. Hated the Shangri-la adaptation of Range Murata's character designs.
Probably true, and may be a good thing for both 2D and 3D versions as showcasing their talents particularly in CG with the gorgeous aerial combat in an anniversary project was seemingly essentially the birth of the first ambitious Last Exile too.

I thought they were good as "Murata-inspired designs" so I personally liked them and they stood out for me in a good way among the anime characters we get each season so I certainly didn't hate them like you did but I agree they lost some of Murata's style in the transition, I guess Ishii's art just wasn't quite compatible with adapting Murata's particular style and especially his shading style since it was interesting, some of the closeup face shots really captured his particular look but the general look was more "normal" so it was more like Murata inspiration rather than his art come to life like what Horiuchi stunningly captured in Last Exile.

The good news is that I don't think this will be a problem with him back to adapt Murata's designs and awesome uniforms/etc. for animation for the new one as he was utterly fantastic at it last time.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-02-12 at 02:09.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 21:03   Link #55
TJR

Good to hear. Given the studio's recent situation, I will keep expectations in check. However, the lure of a new show from the same core team is too strong to resist.
Old 2011-02-11, 21:24   Link #56
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

To get the total Last Exile experience, the anime alone is not enough. I remembered reading that there was an art book which indicated that Dio survived his fall. So yeah, it's really another case of meta-plot, which to me is not at all surprising.

On the franchise as a whole, I give it a thumbs-up. Looking forward to this new series and the art-books/drama-CDs/what-have-you. Let those vanships fly!
Old 2011-02-11, 21:49   Link #57
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
However, the lure of a new show from the same core team is too strong to resist.
Agreed, I'll be trying to keep mine in check as well since it looks like it'll be their first show back in restructured form but I too have been dying for this core team to do something together again so it's hard to resist being excited.

Also the mix of scifi/steampunk/aerial-grandeur/vanships etc. setting and seeing that kind of visual design in action again, it's "world design" still stands out to this day IMO and still easily holds the potential to be a fresh setting amongst any season of new shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
However, the lure of a new show from the same core team is too strong to resist.
Agreed, I've been dying for this core team to do something together again.

Also the mix of scifi/steampunk/aerial-grandeur/vanships etc. setting and seeing that kind of visual design in action again, it's "world design" still stands out to this day IMO and still easily holds the potential to be a fresh setting amongst any season of new shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Oh my God.... I can't believe my eyes. At first I thought this was a joke but then after researching it seems like it's true and we're going to have another Last Exile. The first series for me was a complete masterpiece with superb animations if compared by today's standard, heck even better in most cases considering that the series was made when Gonzo's still at its prime.

I also hope they don't screw this. Last Exile had given me a memorable and pleasant impression on anime in general, that it's not about moetards but focused on quality, beautiful animations and epic settings.
Same here. It totally delivered on it's potential with a great story and world in my opinion. I agree it's production values still hold up superbly.

I've loved Gonzo shows and their ambition for originals and as a huge longtime scifi fan their real passion for the Sci-Fi genre (following them since Blue Sub 6) evident in their more scifi projects so I really hope they've been able to take the proper time to reconstruct themselves in this last year or so so that they are truly ready to relaunch themselves well cause I'd really like to see them re-establish themselves.

Quote:
I am also not sure if the setting will even be interesting after other anime like Planet of the Beast King or Scrapped Princess had somewhat similar worlds (exaled, prisons).

So no, very low expectations from my part.
I'll be curious to see if the new restructuring has their ratio of projects to capacity back in order in regards to expectations.

I've seen both of these (loved Scrapped Princess!) and while there is a bit of overlap, the real setting styles that identify them are completely different. Neither of those two shows have a setting particularly in common with Last Exile's industrial/flight/scifi/steampunk-era style. I think the setting remains as great, fresh, and rarely used as ever.

Edit: I just noticed the teaser flash on the front page is showing a colored version of the main character, Fam, and already it is capturing the soft, rounded, specific, Murata-style look + coloring in colored anime form (unlike Ishii's adaptations of his art on Shangri-La) so unless Murata also personally drew an anime-shaded version I'm quite hopeful that Horiuchi will do his best to do another great job on this particular element of the show's art like he did before if the show is getting the proper time/financial attention to do it properly as their psuedo re-launch series.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-02-12 at 02:13.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 03:23   Link #58
Pacify

Wuw thats awesome news! The Original was such a beautiful piece of animation, hopefully it can live up to the firsts standards.
Pacify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-17, 03:13   Link #59
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacify View Post
Wuw thats awesome news! The Original was such a beautiful piece of animation, hopefully it can live up to the firsts standards.
you mean the visual animation? i see lots of low quality art and animation through out the first series, but if you mean the story then ye its definitely good
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-18, 01:04   Link #60
TJR

Looks like they're set to premiere the show at AX. Guess that makes it a Fall 2011 series?

Tags
adventure, science fiction