AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-03-21, 23:40   Link #1
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Kung Fu Dunk

Kung Fu Dunk is a Taiwanese live-action film released in February 2008. The film is inspired by the Slam Dunk manga and anime series, and was previously titled Slam Dunk. It was filmed in both Taiwan and Mainland China. The filming, however, conveyed a strong flavour of Hong Kong films, reminiscent of movies like Shaolin Soccer.Contents

The film revolves around an orphaned boy who grew up in a kung fu university and becomes a talented basketball player. The youngster, Fang Shi Jie (Jay Chou) grew up at the Kung-Fu School. He practiced excellent Kung-Fu and is equipped with good skills. When he is punished by his principal to stay on the streets for one night, he demonstrates his incredible accuracy to a down-and-out hustler, Wang Li. On the pretext of helping him search for his family, Wang Li invites him to play basketball at 'First University' as the new star of its basketball team. Meanwhile, Wang Li capitalizes on media interest in Shi-Jie to make money via interviews and news articles.

After joining the basketball team, Shi-Jie finds that Li-Li whom he had admired for a long time is the sister of Ting Wei (Bo-Lin Chen), the leader of the basketball team. Shi Jie is desperate to draw her attention. Therefore, he attempts to compete with Xiao Lan (By Baron Chen), who is Li-Li's idol. The competition between Shi Jie and Xiao Lan generates an unstable atmosphere within the team. After Ting Wei counsels Shi Jie, the basketball team becomes more unified. Meanwhile, he helped Shi Jie combine his foundation of Kung-Fu skills into basketball techniques, which in turn brings his skills into full play and helps the team win many rounds of the inter-varsity tournament.

By the time of the finals, the major competitor faced by Shi Jie and his team members is the team led by Lee Tien. Lee used to be on the First University basketball team alongside Ting Wei and Xiao Lan, but became arrogant and was lured to their competitor's camp. The competing team comprised of players who had been banned from all basketball games in Japan. The competing university also bribed the referee of the final game. Although Wang Li had enlisted the aid of Shi Jie's kung-fu teachers, the opposing team had put in place a number of measures to prevent First University from winning, up to and including injuring First University's star players Shi-Jie, Ting Wei and Xiao Lan. Thus, due to both unscrupulous fouls from the opposing team and the referee's biased decisions and outright interference, First University is defeated. Unwilling to admit defeat to such unjust conditions, Shi Jie recalls a technique his first teacher had utilized, and manages to turn back the clock. Eventually, First University wins fair and square.

Old 2008-03-21, 23:46   Link #2
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Shaolin Soccer, anyone?
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 23:53   Link #3
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Its a lot different than Shaolin Soccer . I mean the its more of Basketball than Kung Fu , yes I too was expecting another type of shaolin soccer movie . Its a little more serious too , the chracterisation is pretty damn good, alcholic BasketBall captain to name a few . The relationship between Eric Tsang and Jay chow is the highlight of the movie .
Old 2008-03-21, 23:55   Link #4
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

First Initial D, and now Slam Dunk?

What other classic manga is Jay Chou off to re-make now?
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-22, 00:06   Link #5
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Jay Chou is one of the few actors who doesnt bring his idol / superstar persona to the roles he plays .In all his roles he is down to earth playing the part, you cant tell he is a big star . While watching Intial D I had no clue how big of a star jay was , after I wikied him I was shocked .
Old 2008-03-22, 00:56   Link #6
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Jay Chou is one of the few actors who doesnt bring his idol / superstar persona to the roles he plays .In all his roles he is down to earth playing the part, you cant tell he is a big star . While watching Intial D I had no clue how big of a star jay was , after I wikied him I was shocked .
What was that other movie he played in. Curse of the golden flower? or something like that?

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-22, 01:09   Link #7
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
What was that other movie he played in. Curse of the golden flower? or something like that?
Yep you are correct ^^

Quote:
Filmography
Old 2008-03-22, 04:47   Link #8
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
Wow, they already have another Kung Fu Dunk announced? Personally, I believe Jay is better suited for the directorial work that he does rather than playing the lead role. He just doesn't have the personality to be a movie-star, which may also have a correlation with what I call his "looking-bored" face that he usually has on-screen.
Old 2008-03-22, 04:50   Link #9
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Look Awesome..^.^
I Want To See It
Old 2008-03-22, 08:01   Link #10
brocko

My friend saw and he said it said it was crap. Only one game throughout the entire movie.... -_-

I saw the trailer awhile back and it was funny how it seems like they're jumping from half-court with the amount of air that they're getting. Forget MJ, VC, or Dr J, these guys can three point dunk on the whole team!

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-22, 12:51   Link #11
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Firstly I dont listen to Jay Chou music so I cant understand the extent of his stardom . Reading some posts here I can feel the same animosity and hatred I feel towards Nick Cater and Justin Timberlake . And I still do say they suck big time even Justin . One album doesnt change the franchise your associated with .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaos View Post
Look Awesome..^.^
I Want To See It
You should check it out its pretty good . I enjoyed watching it

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
I saw the trailer awhile back and it was funny how it seems like they're jumping from half-court with the amount of air that they're getting. Forget MJ, VC, or Dr J, these guys can three point dunk on the whole team!
The dunks remind me of Harlem Globe trotters with their trampolines . But the sad part is these dunks in the movie lack power .You can point and go fake

I dont read or follow sports based manga not my thing . So I am curious to see how much of it is similar to Slam Dunk
Old 2008-03-22, 14:09   Link #12
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Yep you are correct ^^
Kung Fu Dunk 2 is already on queue? hahaha ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-22, 14:15   Link #13
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflection View Post
Wow, they already have another Kung Fu Dunk announced? Personally, I believe Jay is better suited for the directorial work that he does rather than playing the lead role. He just doesn't have the personality to be a movie-star, which may also have a correlation with what I call his "looking-bored" face that he usually has on-screen.
Actually, I think people prefer his bored looking face. After seeing his smile in the Initial D movie, my friends were like "no wonder he never smiles in public..."

Can anyone tell me how much of this movie is in Taiwanese? If there is a lot of it, I'll have to look for the subbed version.
Old 2008-03-22, 14:25   Link #14
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I am not 100% percent sure but I think its in Mandarin
Old 2008-03-22, 14:32   Link #15
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
I am not 100% percent sure but I think its in Mandarin
I'm positive I heard some Taiwanese dialect in your trailer, Jay Chou's narration is in Mandarin, yeah.

Thanks Geta!
Old 2008-03-22, 15:31   Link #16
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Tripper I need your help concerning a certain translation . For a certain word they keep using the translation Jerusalem . What is the exact translation ? . After you are done watching the movie I need your help with this word Jerusalem
Old 2008-03-22, 16:43   Link #17
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
the main guy need a new haircut.
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-22, 18:38   Link #18
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Tripper I need your help concerning a certain translation . For a certain word they keep using the translation Jerusalem . What is the exact translation ? . After you are done watching the movie I need your help with this word Jerusalem
Sure thing, can you tell me when exactly when this line is? The movie is torrenting right now (though at a snail's crawl).
Old 2008-03-24, 19:02   Link #19
twkiwilee

OMG OMG

Jay Chou ALL the WAY!!!!! <333 I LOVE ALL HIS SONGS!!!
I'm his fan since 2001!! YEh YEAH!!

wow.. I didn't know animesuki has a thread for this.. cool~

The plot was ok/ but I love all the fighting and basketball parts esp. when it is added with the song "Hero Chou" (eventhough it got some sexual undertone in it) or something like that..

His Initial D movie was ok.. but his music is BETTER~

LOVE THE ANIME VERSION!!
twkiwilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 19:03   Link #20
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

twkiwilee If I had to choose what I liked most in the movie it would be the track ZHOU DA XIA DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Sure thing, can you tell me when exactly when this line is? The movie is torrenting right now (though at a snail's crawl).
Its repeated numerous times in the movie once you see the movie you will encounter it again and again ^^