Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-16, 03:35   Link #41
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
actually, it's not someone's name in this case, Mutsu 陸奥 is a place name in this case (which consists of the four prefectures, Fukushima, Miyagi, Iwate and Aomori today) and Enmei 圓明 is just something that sounds cool.
陸奥【むつ】Mutsu (p,s)
圓明【えんめい】Enmei (u)
s - family or surname (i.e. a ``last'' name)
p - a place name
u - a person's name (not yet classified as to being given or family)

Source : Jim Breen

Mutsu can be a surname as well (generally reflecting a family who has originated from the Mutsu region). Enmei can be a name.

Quote:
So I think 陸奥圓明流 is a martial arts style that originated from the Mutsu region. It's somewhat like 柳生新陰流 Yagyu Shinkage ryu, where Yagyu 柳生 in this case is a family name, while Shinkage 新陰 is something that sounds cool. And there are other Enmei styles and Shinkage styles that are not Mutsu Enmei or Yagyu Shinkage styles.
柳生新陰流 Yagyu Shinkage ryu is basically New Yagyu Ying(as in Ying & Yang) Style. 新陰 is not something that sounds cool (though a lot of martial arts give flamboyant names to give that oomph ).
Old 2004-04-16, 03:59   Link #42
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

actually the Shinkage (New Yin) style is not founded by the Yagyu family, it's founded by Kamiizumi Nobutsuna, out of the kage (yin) style. Yagyu Muneyosi learned the Shinkage style from him.

Also the sword style founded by Musashi is named Enmei style too...
Old 2004-04-16, 07:48   Link #43
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Quote:
actually the Shinkage (New Yin) style is not founded by the Yagyu family, it's founded by Kamiizumi Nobutsuna, out of the kage (yin) style. Yagyu Muneyosi learned the Shinkage style from him.

isn't the sword style found by musashi called Niten Ichiryu
Old 2004-04-16, 09:34   Link #44
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Kamiizumi Nobutsuna established the Kage base. Yagyu Muneyoshi learnt it and developed it into the Shinkage. Hence the Shin "new". Shinkage is not the exact style as Nobutsuna kageryu.

From http://www.koryubooks.com/library/dlowry2.html

Nobutsuna was a legendary master of the Kage-ryu; his inspirations into the craft of swordsmanship had, in part, led him to found a "new" or Shin-kage-ryu. Upon Muneyoshi's defeat, he became Nobutsuna's disciple. Muneyoshi was eventually initiated into the okuden, the deepest teachings of Nobutsuna's ryu. The Yagyu warrior in turn, devoted himself to the further development of the Shinkage tradition. He taught his own children, including a particularly adept son, Munenori....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever123
Yes, it is the 二刀流 or "nitenryu" (Dual Blade Style). Also called the 二刀一流 (True Dual Blade Style). True, it is also called 圓明流 "enmeiryu" (Clear Circle Style as some people put it).

Hmmm I believe now the 圓明 refers to the "Clear Circle" concept rather than a name. Because this anime (& manga) has the basis of 陸奥圓明流 as unarmed combat, but also on Buddhist teachings or karma "what goes around comes around" (the manga readers should be clearer than I am on this)

陸奥 would still be referring to a name though.

Here's an interesting info I saw from the web (cannot confirm how true it is). Supposedly 陸奥圓明流 is founded by the founder of 一刀流 (ichitenryu). The founder of the latter is 伊藤一刀斎 (sorry cannot find any romaji pronunciation since most sites describing him is Chinese or Japanese, but closest would be Itou Ichitensai or Itou "Ichiten" Itsuki). However it might not have been him that created 陸奥圓明流 since his most favoured and best disciple 小野忠明 (Ono Tadaaki) was the one who glorified this style and under Takeda Shingen, established the "Ono Inamata Ichiten Ryu" 小野派一刀流.

So in light of this, it might be better to call 陸奥圓明流 "Mutsu's Clear Circle Style".
Old 2004-04-16, 09:46   Link #45
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Niten Ichi ryu is not only a sword style, but also a "tactics style". Musashi founded various sword styles, constant improving and evolving through his entire life. First when he was in his 20s he founded sword style Enmei Ichi ryu (also called Enmei ryu), then in his 30s he completed his nitou (two swords) style Nitou/Niten Ichi ryu (this niten/nitou here is "dual swords"), and at last in his 50s he focused on tactics theory study, combining with his sword skills, and founded the tactics style Niten Ichi ryu (this niten here is no longer "dual swords", but "dual sky" to translate literally).

Now after reading the manga, it seems the anime is really not as good as the manga. I think the voice acting is quite a problem in the anime...
Old 2004-04-16, 09:49   Link #46
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
interesting i never knew that

edit: whats the name of the manga and is it licensed or not?

Last edited by whatever123; 2004-04-16 at 11:04.
Old 2004-04-16, 11:44   Link #47
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
interesting i never knew that

edit: whats the name of the manga and is it licensed or not?
The name of the manga is the same as it is in the anime... I don't think it's licensed.
Old 2004-04-16, 13:34   Link #48
DarknessTear
Anime-Future/Static-Subs

I'm surprised at the negative opinions I saw on this anime. I personally thought it was just fine. It doesn't have to be anything spectacular CG-wise and anime shouldn't have to fit today's standards. That's why anime is failing to be good nowadays. It's all about looking good and not having anything good on the inside. Like a story, or even some action, which is needed from time to time in certain genres. Like Peace Maker Kurogane for instance, nothing came from that anime, I watched it and wondered what I wasted my time on for a series made of pure filler. Yeah PMK did have like two non-filler eps but the greatness was short lived.
Old 2004-04-17, 11:23   Link #49
drar

unlike most of you I actually enjoyed the first episode, I'm looking foward for the next episodes
I hope [^_^] releases the next episode soon, raw seem to be out for a few days now
ps: good work on your releases [^_^]
Old 2004-04-17, 20:59   Link #50
Mikesmaf

Send a message via AIM to Mikesmaf Send a message via Yahoo to Mikesmaf
i also liked it btw episode 2 is out ladies!! go dl it!! i'll say how it is when i watch it.
Old 2004-04-18, 15:21   Link #51
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

The second episode was just a great starter to what will come up evetualy in this anime. I think musashi is realy strong Its neat I just can't wait for this confrontation ^_________^

BTW I notice some similarities with the Naruto studio's drawing style at the end of the opening. I think it looked a lot like Zabuza going "Demon" killing Gatou at the end of the first season.
Old 2004-04-19, 13:42   Link #52
Kero Gunsou
ロリが大好きな男

Talking

Wow...didn't even know people care about this anime.

Since I read most of the Shura no Toki manga I deeply appreciate this show even though as someone previously stated the production value is fairly low.

Just to clear up something though, in the manga, the name "Mutsu" is not only the family name, but also a title hold by the successor of Mutsu Enmei Ryu style. It's passed down from father to son (you can say it's a family secret since they haven't teach it to anyone else). In the case of multiple siblings, whoever defeat the others will succeed the title. (ie. 狛彦 and 虎彦...unfortunately I don't think they're in the anime ). As for the slow pace of this anime I think they're just trying to setup the background. The action is definitely going to pick up soon when Mutsu gets into fights with various famous historical fighters. (In this show they only cover 3 of the Mutsu, all from different period: 八雲 (Yakumo, born 159?), 天斗 (Takato, Yakumo's son, born 1612~1614), and 出海 (Izumi, born 1839).

As for the famous historical figures, there are Miyamoto Musashi, Yagyuu Juubei, Okita Souji, Hijakata Toshizou, and Sakamoto Ryuuma.

If anyone have any questions about this show feel free to ask. So far the anime follows the manga quite closely.
Old 2004-04-19, 22:22   Link #53
Jn183

So, this show will drag over a period of 200-300 yr? Instead of concentrating on Yakumo. I kind of dislike that. Hate to see a main character become a minor or dead. Even though it's more real by going through such a time period. So, there will be umm.excuse the spelling...Shinsigumi. PMK really ruin my wicked image of them. Btw, the pace for the anime so far is just right for me. No need to rush thing.
Old 2004-04-20, 01:35   Link #54
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jn183
So, this show will drag over a period of 200-300 yr?
No. The current series is subtitled as "Musashi's chapter", meaning this current stretch is focusing on that time period. I figure if the ratings substantiate them to produce more, they'll likely produce the other chapters (time periods).
Old 2004-04-21, 16:03   Link #55
ToFuMan

So who is the main character for this anime? I thought it was miyamoto musashi who was considered to be the legendary samurai and was undefeated. If he isn't the protagonist then that really suck, since I want to know more about the guy.
Old 2004-04-21, 17:45   Link #56
Yukina

The main character is Mutsu Yakumo.
Old 2004-04-21, 17:53   Link #57
Shift_

I swear this is like Kenshin style....Male lead thought to be a pansy by female lead, when they get in trouble, female tries to protect male, but male is like some super combat expert that can kick anyone's ass
Old 2004-04-21, 17:57   Link #58
Mikesmaf

Send a message via AIM to Mikesmaf Send a message via Yahoo to Mikesmaf
seems good to me so far.
Old 2004-04-21, 18:04   Link #59
Master Ran
The Invincible Dawn

kenshin like?

For me, its has more similarities with KAZEMAKASE(going where the wind blows)
The difference is that the main character is a woman...Ran...
Old 2004-04-22, 03:11   Link #60
Shenlong

I am also surprised at the negative reviews in this thread, I found this title to be very refereshing. A main character who isn't angsty/depressed/plucky but is instead very good natured and can kick ass without being being arrogant? I dun believe it O_o

And I believe the guy does use a sword, its just that in the first episode he doesn't need it to defeat them. Remember this?

"That fool refers to his samurai soul as a kitchen knife and a hatchet"
-Lunar fansub 10:09
Closed Thread