AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-04-22, 08:33   Link #301
Ahiru77
あひる

One thing this show made very clear about Homura...........is that she's a cute, fragile little magic girl. Probably the most out of the five. Her squeals go beyond the stars.

Not a single shot in this entire show convinced me that she's the baddest thing around.
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 09:12   Link #302
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I have to say that Homura won me over in Episode 11.

I mean, I liked her well enough after Episode 10, but it was Episode 11 that made her character very appealing to me.

For me, the key scene was the one where final timeline Homura embraces Madoka and reveals everything to Madoka, letting her feelings for Madoka flow out so strongly.
Old 2011-04-22, 10:13   Link #303
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I have to say that Homura won me over in Episode 11.

I mean, I liked her well enough after Episode 10, but it was Episode 11 that made her character very appealing to me.

For me, the key scene was the one where final timeline Homura embraces Madoka and reveals everything to Madoka, letting her feelings for Madoka flow out so strongly.
Partially, I have to agree. If she would have done this much, much earlier, I would have liked her more. As it stands, she forever has a taint because of how quickly she decided to go cold and go it alone without any real reason. If she had only done this sooner, and thus given Madoka the information she needs, then Madoka could have made the wish earlier.

But yes, she does redeem herself a bit in my eyes for this, and I can't help but love her fight in 11.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 10:46   Link #304
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Partially, I have to agree. If she would have done this much, much earlier, I would have liked her more. As it stands, she forever has a taint because of how quickly she decided to go cold and go it alone without any real reason. If she had only done this sooner, and thus given Madoka the information she needs, then Madoka could have made the wish earlier.

But yes, she does redeem herself a bit in my eyes for this, and I can't help but love her fight in 11.
I agree that Homura's overall approach could have been a bit smarter.

I basically like how Homura kind of recaptured her humanity in Episode 11, and realized that it was now definitely time to quit the ice queen act and reveal the true story (and her true feelings) to Madoka.

And yeah, Homura put on a performance that would have made Bruce Wayne blush.
Old 2011-04-22, 11:03   Link #305
Shadow5YA

Quote:

I don't think Homura intentionally poured her heart out to Madoka. It was more like she spilled it all.

When Kyubey essentially stated that Madoka's continued misfortune and power was caused by Homura's efforts, Homura was visibly disturbed. I think Kyubey is the one who really made Homura believe this was her last shot.

Also, I don't believe Madoka could have made such a grand wish any sooner. Everything in the series was building up to this point. Mami's heroism, Sayaka's tragedy build on good intentions, Kyoko's sacrifice, Homura's endless struggle, and Kyubey's role as a necessary evil were all necessary to Madoka's rise.
Mami, Kyoko, and Kyubey are all important factors to Madoka's belief that Puella Magi are still necessary. Mami showed the basic ideals of heroism by protecting ones without power, like Sayaka and Madoka used to be. Kyoko provided an example of self-sacrifice important to the Christ-like figure archetype. Kyubey showed how essential Puella Magi and wishes are by showing Madoka how closely the system is tied to human history. If it were not for Kyubey, Madoka would not have understood that this was a problem beyond the city she lives in and would not have transcended space and time.
Sayaka's tragic ending and Homura's endless tragedy allow Madoka to see that while magical girls are needed, the system is flawed and needs to be fixed. Sayaka was the example that Madoka needed to learn about magical girls transforming into Witches, and good intentions backfiring. Homura's hopeless situation and countless number of attempts through time along with Kyubey's history lesson provide Madoka with the understanding that the system is not only flawed today but flawed in every day.

Every character was needed to develop Madoka into transcendent, self-sacrificial figure that values the ideals of heroism but also understands the tragedy that can arise from such ideals.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 11:19   Link #306
sa547
*Author

Quote:

I basically like how Homura kind of recaptured her humanity in Episode 11, and realized that it was now definitely time to quit the ice queen act and reveal the true story (and her true feelings) to Madoka.

I'm chalking up Homura to my personal pantheon of heroines.
Old 2011-04-22, 13:35   Link #307
00Coyote

So, lets say you are a big bad, come to make things miserable.

QB gives you a choice of opponents.

Pre-ribbon Homura, or Post-ribbon Homura.

Which do you choose?
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 13:49   Link #308
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:

Actually I like Homura because her character is flawed and does make poor decisons. And yea, she's a terrible liar, it really shows. But this is because she was never meant to be the hero as shown in her original timeline, and the whole badass facade is actually extremely forced on her part. She also had very little social skills to begin with, and that frequently caused her to alienate people. That is, she really doesn't know what to do, besides umm... trial and error.

But the fact that she never had that much potential to begin with, wasn't of sound mind, and didn't have the strongest will to begin with makes her outstanding, since she managed to accomplish the impossible.... survive this crap again and again.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:13   Link #309
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Actually I like Homura because her character is flawed and does make poor decisons. And yea, she's a terrible liar, it really shows. But this is because she was never meant to be the hero
I wouldn't mind a hero like that for a change. Anime writers seem to think protagonists for this sort of shows need to be all "pure" and "selfless" and what not. How is Madoka any different than Sakura or even Nanoha in that respect?

I would like something different really.
Old 2011-04-22, 14:15   Link #310
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
So, lets say you are a big bad, come to make things miserable.

QB gives you a choice of opponents.

Pre-ribbon Homura, or Post-ribbon Homura.

Which do you choose?
Kyuube's a dick as ever....
Old 2011-04-22, 14:24   Link #311
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I wouldn't mind a hero like that for a change. Anime writers seem to think protagonists for this sort of shows need to be all "pure" and "selfless" and what not. How is Madoka any different than Sakura or even Nanoha in that respect?

Kyoko from this series, or Nao from Hime/Otome. If you want more, you can check out Anti-Hero and scroll through the anime list. Granted, more magical girl anti-heroes would be interested; I really did like Nao's character in Otome. Lina Inverse might be considered one, though.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 14:39   Link #312
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Kyoko from this series, or Nao from Hime/Otome. If you want more, you can check out Anti-Hero and scroll through the anime list. Granted, more magical girl anti-heroes would be interested; I really did like Nao's character in Otome. Lina Inverse might be considered one, though.
I was talking about main protagonists. Of course there are pretty flawed main characters in these shows, but the protagonist is always the more pure, noble, whatever. It's always the same shit all over again. Madoka isn't any different.

Lina is kinda an exception though, and I totally love her character even though most of her flaws are there mostly just for comic relief and don't really affect the story much. Still, you don't even see protagonists like her anymore these days.
Old 2011-04-22, 15:15   Link #313
Dr. Casey

From 2chan, lol

I do still wonder whether Homura had romantic feelings for Madoka or not. I'm guessing that she doesn't; I know there's subtext, but to me Urobuchi seems like the type that would be explicit about the matter (Or at least hint more strongly) rather than go the murky dance-around-everything, never-confirm-anything NanohaFate route.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 15:20   Link #314
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:

Madoka is not like Nanoha. The only thing they have in common is that they are truly dedicated when they make a choice, but Nanoha's far more proactive into making choices and seeking opportunities while Madoka's more of someone that kinda waits and sees what's going on.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-04-22, 15:27   Link #315
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Madoka is not like Nanoha. The only thing they have in common is that they are truly dedicated when they make a choice, but Nanoha's far more proactive into making choices and seeking opportunities while Madoka's more of someone that kinda waits and sees what's going on.
You didn't address my point at all. In my previous post I'm very specific about the traits I see in practically every damn magical girl protagonist, and what you mention here is besides the point.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind a magical girl protagonist that is a bit more like batman instead of superman. Just for a change.
Old 2011-04-22, 15:37   Link #316
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
You didn't address my point at all. In my previous post I'm very specific about the traits I see in practically every damn magical girl protagonist, and what you mention here is besides the point.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind a magical girl protagonist that is a bit more like batman instead of superman. Just for a change.
Oh I really did misread your post. Sorry.

Edit:
But yes, having an anti-hero as a lead for these shows would introduce variety.

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-04-22 at 15:55.
Old 2011-04-22, 17:39   Link #317
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I just want to say that her battle in ep 11 was THEE best thing I've EVER seen in a magical girl anime!(and I've watched plenty since the days of Sailor Moon). I mean, fighting with rocket launchers, mines, and missiles!? Driving gasoline trucks into the enemy? It's practically an antithesis to how any magical girl fights.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 18:01   Link #318
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I could swear that Homura ramming an oil truck onto WNWitch could possibly be a shoutout to Dio Brando from the JoJo OAVs.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 21:16   Link #319
Animexcel

Quote:

I think if she said it sooner, the series would've been over at episode 6!
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 21:25   Link #320
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

HOMURA FOR SAIMOE 2011!!!

btw, my love for homura tripled at episode 11. Seeing her pour her heart out to Madoka was the most touching scene i've seen in this show, even beating that sortof yuri scene in episode 12. XDD

as for now, all i know is, i'll always love homura. =)

EDIT: it's funny how some people are like "why she didn't do/say it in episode (insert episode number here) and blahblah" LOL.
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters