AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Episode 50 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 23 23.71%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 16.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 9.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 9.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 6.19%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.06%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 4.12%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.03%
1 out of 10 : Painful 27 27.84%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-04-02, 07:03   Link #81
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

No one wins. Absolutely no one wins with this finale. god help usall
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 07:05   Link #82
Blazer-X

The good:

Iok gets a SLOW PAINFUL death courtesy of Akihiro. And we get to see the scene play out from his cockpit as he is slowly crushed. He deserves it for all the hell he caused throughout the series.

Nobilis gets assassinated by a vengeful Ride, much like how he originally had Orga assassinated.

Eugene lives! OUR GRAHAM KNOCKOFF LIVES! Everyone went "OMG! Deathflag!" as soon as he hopped on NOT!Unicorn, but he makes it out of there alive and becomes Kudelia's assistant. That leaves us as least one of the main founding member of Tekkadan alive, which is one more than what I had expected given the formation of the final battle.

The BAD:

Rustal Elion: Seriously... WHAT THE FUCK!? The ending doesn't make much sense. His character does a near 180 at the end and switches to "reforming" Gjallarhorn after a whole series of being corrupt if it means keeping the status quo. And he gets all the power and gets away completely scott-free with no consequence for totally committing multiple war crimes.

Notice how I put "reform" in quotes though? It would not surprise me if he's putting on this front to keep himself in power, since a reform for Gjallarhorn had long been coming and he's already shown himself to be a very shrewd leader. By banning human debris, he is also stopping any future Tekkadan-like organizations from taking place. In a way, Rustal almost feels like a Schniezel (Code Geass), had he won the final battle instead of Lelouch.

As much as it worries me a bit about the writing, a small part of me wants a sequel or OVA where we get to finally see SOMEONE (maybe Ride?) kill off Rustal. Its too bad that the world suddenly became a "peaceful" place after he goes completely uncharacteristic for the epilogue.
Blazer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 07:08   Link #83
Veriselle

What a dissapointing ending

I expect an explosion but NOT like that.
Like I predicted eugene and other lives just to be another boring as job as a security company guy. Ride and co. are the only one keeping their 'cool' occupation.
I just feel that tekkadan is not needed for S2 story to move on, the end result will be same whether they're involved or not.

Even though we predicted ending like this since S1, the execution is poor, rushed, and uninteresting. I expect more action and politics not drama and killing spree just to keep it interesting. At least they FINALLY kill iok and in akihiro's hand no less.

Why gaelio is in wheelchair? Did he got injured that badly when battling mcgillis or it's his old wound from S1?
Veriselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 07:13   Link #84
Knight_SV

that's the side effect of removing the Av type E implant from his neck, it paralyzed his legs
Knight_SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 07:15   Link #85
quagmire

Yeah I liked the episode as well. Everyone that could accept how it ended, got a better life which is what Orga wanted to do with Tekkaden. Those who could only fight died( Mika and Akhiro) or still on a bad path( Ride). GH was reformed to Macky's vision even if it was Rustal who ended up doing it vs Macky himself. That makes it bittersweet because we know what Rustal is capable of dirty tricks still to maintain GH's position in the world. But it does look like Julietta will succeed Rustal who has a conscious at the least and won't end up doing the same dirty tricks even if she was willing to look the other way when under Rustal.

About the only thing I didn't like was Julietta taking the head of Barbatos. She doesn't deserve any credit for taking down the "devil". Think a better way of putting down Mika would have been to shoot him Crank style....
quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 07:18   Link #86
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Yeah, Julieta didn't do shit. They got a nice handicap via Orbital Dainsleif strike. I would've liked more from that last fight between them.

Last edited by blakstealth; 2017-04-02 at 07:28.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 07:21   Link #87
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer-X View Post
Its too bad that the world suddenly became a "peaceful" place after he goes completely uncharacteristic for the epilogue.
Eh. What he did is still very Rustal-ish. He wanted to keep order so he disbanded the SS families which are useless now as some of their bad side and biggest crimes already got exposed to the masses. He pulled out Gjallarhorn forces from Mars and agree with the human-debris banning coz they're nothing but trouble for his faction. I guess he's okay with Mars' economical independence now as long as the Blocs wish it too. Dort workers also got better treatment after getting exposed in Season 1. So, it's pretty consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Yeah, Julieta didn't do shit. They got a nice handicap via Orbital Dainsleif strike. I would've liked a more from that last fight between them.
The using of dainsleif is a good writing because Rustal has no excuse not to use it. And it's already established that Julietta can never beat Mika in a fair fight. So yeah. If the writer wanted Julieta to live, that's the best way to handle it.
Old 2017-04-02, 07:27   Link #88
quagmire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Yeah, Julieta didn't do shit. They got a nice handicap via Orbital Dainsleif strike. I would've liked a more from that last fight between them.
Even though I didn't like it, at least it wasn't an asspull. I would not have believed Julietta been able to defeat Mika on a straight up 1 vs 1 without the help of the Dainsleif crippling Barbatos. Heck she couldn't even defeat a massively crippled Barbatos. It took Mika falling unconscious and having Barbatos just fall on the Julia for her to "defeat" him.

But yeah I wouldn't hardly call this bad writing just because you didn't get the ending you wanted. Certainly, there have been bad writing moments( Macky being the cunning and planning type during S1 and much of S2 being turned into an idiot whose only plan was get Bael....), but it doesn't make IBO one of the worst Gundam series because it didn't have a traditional Gundam ending. I do enjoy things that go against tradition from time to time. Heck, it was the fanbase complaining how 00 S1 wasn't very traditional and got S2 changed to be more traditional that weakened 00 for me.
Old 2017-04-02, 07:30   Link #89
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer-X View Post
Rustal Elion: Seriously... WHAT THE FUCK!? The ending doesn't make much sense. His character does a near 180 at the end and switches to "reforming" Gjallarhorn after a whole series of being corrupt if it means keeping the status quo. And he gets all the power and gets away completely scott-free with no consequence for totally committing multiple war crimes.
I think it makes perfect sense politics-wise. As the unequivocal winner of the war, he can afford to dictate the terms of peace in a post-war world and restore Gjallarhorn's tattered reputation in one fell swoop through reform and democratisation. And unlike McGillis, Rustal didn't relish power for power sake. I think as a consummate political operator, he would know hoarding all the power would do no good for stability and status quo, so why not concede some power to Teiwaz/Martian Union (plus they probably have records of his war crimes) for everyone to be happy?
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 07:31   Link #90
bastek66

Guts killing Iok was most satysfying scene in the entire series

Cake-Kudelia's new hair was awful.
Old 2017-04-02, 07:38   Link #91
ReddyRedWolf

Yes Iok is dead!

So Rustal folded in the long run. As he recognized if he kept the system as is he'll be fighting everybody. It doesn't mean he is safe though. Ride killed Nobliss so he could be next.

Rip Mika and Akahiro.

I wonder where they put the Tekkadan Gundam frames.

Kudelia and Atra are pretty much married with child. Merribit and old man has two kids. Gaelio is rippled is with Jullieta. Realizing McGillis' true motivations.

Rest of Tekkadan are their company or in Kudelia's service. They even run the orphanage.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 07:39   Link #92
DMurphy

I actually thought this was a really good ending.

Gjallarhorn achieving its reforms through Rustal was surprising, but it makes sense: Rustal values order, and he's ruthless and Machiavellian, but he's not cruel, so a peaceful path to reforming Gjallarhorn into a gentler organisation isn't beyond him.

It's also pragmatic -- the Seven Stars system, which was behind much of Gjallarhorn's corruption since it focused power on a system of nobility, literally couldn't continue, not with the Issue, Fareed, and Kujan lines dead, and Gaelio probably not having much interest in eventually taking up his seat.

(It does strike me as ironic that the people going "Rustal gets away with everything! It's unfair!" are the same people who were outraged when McGillis 'I Creep On Children And Also Commit Monstrous Crimes Against Humanity' Fareed died.)

Mika and Akihiro dying on the battlefield isn't surprising, and I think we all knew that's where they'd end up, and it was nice to see Akihiro killing Iok to death, and at the end of it, most of Tekkadan get better lives. It's bittersweet, but nice.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 07:40   Link #93
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkchronicles View Post
I think the only one whose character was truly "assassinated" was McGillis. Kudelia suffered from a lack of screen time more then anything else, and I took Orga's breakdowns in the second half as a logical consequence of finally biting off more than he could chew. Mika was Mika- even in his more emotional moments (e.g: that speech), his wishes revolved Orga. I remember wondering in season 2 premiere if McGillis we saw there was the the same guy we saw in S1. I mean, he suddenly seemed a lot more emotionally transparent.

I don't think S1 was all that perfect, either, honestly. As far as I'm concerned, the two seasons were equal in quality, and I'll give the second season props having an engrossing villain.
Agreed more or less. And we have no "Orga died just so that Mika can lead Tekkadan"-plot point which is good coz too many people said it copied TTGL. Well, guess what, Mika did not lead, he died, and Tekkadan got disbanded now that it has fulfilled its role since many of the orphans got a good life now. Some might still can't let go of the loss and go on their way to avenge their fallen comrades but at least that's the life that they themselves decided to live without Orga's orders.

And I'm still pleased that tekkadan didn't lose everything that they gained. Admoss still has the large mines and school and orphanage and farm and Mika's son, people already largely beginning to forget Tekkadan as the "villain" coz everything during the incident is blamed on McG now, Nadi (& Merribit) own a factory, and most of the senior Tekkie members are working for Kudelia as security and caretakers lead by Eugene and they still in good relationship with Turbines & Teiwaz. Btw, I love Eugene ever since episode 5 with his daring selfless stunt, so I cheered when he survived even though Orga is still my no. 1 guy in the series, flaws and all. And there might be a slight chance, just slightly, of Eugene getting closer to Kudelia. I mean, he was always the romantic type who is searching for true love .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
I wonder where they put the Tekkadan Gundam frames.
Gjallarhorn most likely kept them in Vingolf or other hangars.
Old 2017-04-02, 07:42   Link #94
Twi

@ DMurphy: You're mixing up McGillis with his father.

Overall, I was mad when I got spoiled on the ending. This has to be the first Gundam series I've seen where the bad guy wins, and the people who didn't deserve to live managed to do so. But then I took a moment to consider it overall.

It's... it's bittersweet. It's bittersweet as hell, possibly the most bitter ending in Gundam because of how the writing got screwed up around the middle of the second season. Yes, the system changed. But to do so most, if not all, the characters we empathized with had to die.

Part of McGillis ideals were realized by Rustal. But only after the bastard got into the highest possible position after doing everything dirty in the book to get it (illegal weaponry and massacres)and McGillis was demonized in history with the incident named after him. He never pretended to be anything other than a man willing to do anything for power (unlike McGillis who hid it until Season 1's end), and once he got it, he started making changes that made him look good PR-wise but also benefited Mars.

Gaelio wanted revenge more than anything else, to where he let all of this go on until he managed to kill McGillis. However, he lost the use of his legs and feels regret now that he'd done it, wondering if things could change if he'd understood McGillis just a little sooner. He probably would have remained loyal to McGillis like how Julieta remained to Rustal despite knowing he was corrupt. And I imagine his little sister doesn't even talk to him anymore.

Julieta, quite frankly, should have died when she blocked Shino's shot and got impaled on the end of the mace. But she survived and basically got that last victory handed to her and is now in a position to run Gjallarhorn. Since she had no noble-standing and is a woman, this could be seen as progressive movement on their part.

Nobliss got assassinated in an undignified manner, stopping him from further profiting off the deaths of innocent people, and Iok's finally died in a gruesome manner for everything he'd done. But it would have been more cathartic if it was done much earlier.

I think that the writer was trying to point out how change comes at a heavy price, but this is where the writing gets clunky. You see, despite Tekkadan's actions at the end of Season 1 being viewed as heroic because they were fighting against a frankly corrupt system, they made things worse for everyone else by showing the value of Child Soldiers and the amount of Human Debris increased. So to contrast this, they tried to show things improving for everyone else by killing Tekkadan off as a scapegoat through corrupt and illegal means.

Except sometimes the ends really don't justify the means. To reach this conclusion, they gave Julieta and Iok far too much plot armor, having them survive things that should have killed them up to the very end. Julieta was meant to be a contrast to Iok, in that she came to sympathize with Tekkadan through their battles but do her duty as a soldier from common birth while Iok used his family name and pride as an excuse to do things that were quite frankly stupid and lethal to Naze and others. He didn't change, so he died as a symbol of the Seven Stars also dying out, whereas Julieta is set to be the new face of the organization.

However, all the sympathizes in the world don't change what they did. They still killed characters we loved. Characters who weren't as privileged as them. It sends a message that only those in a position of power already can change the system for the better, while those who aren't serve as the foundation by dying.
Old 2017-04-02, 07:46   Link #95
darkone45

That was a BS ending IBO has told me today the winners are Generic written characters who follow old dead tradition and clear Feminist character who won out of BS Yeah I think I'm done with anything Gundam This was bullshit.
darkone45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 07:48   Link #96
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Well, it appear that Rustal Elion won against Tekkadan and did the reforms instead. Yeah, he sure have dirtied his hands more than McGills Fareed.

On the bright side though, seems that there won't be any child exploitation now that the treaty has passed which former Tekkadan members can roam freely and live normally as a result. Then again, some people like Ride are still pissed of losing both Mikazuki, Akihiro, and Orga.

I gotta say, it was a fun ride for Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 07:54   Link #97
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
@ DMurphy: You're mixing up McGillis with his father.
No. I'm not.

Believe it or not, dragging a ten year old girl to straddle your lap, constantly talking about how much you love her, and cheerfully planning on going through with your arranged marriage even when you no longer have any obligation to, is the creepy behaviour of a paedophile. In fact, there's literally a term for it: It's 'grooming.'

Which McG's fans know, I presume, given that just last week we had someone cheerily remarking that McG should have had sex with Almiria before he died.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 08:09   Link #98
CristianR

I demand a sequel so that I can continue to remember Mikazuki through his son and his two women.
CristianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 08:10   Link #99
quagmire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
No. I'm not.

Believe it or not, dragging a ten year old girl to straddle your lap, constantly talking about how much you love her, and cheerfully planning on going through with your arranged marriage even when you no longer have any obligation to, is the creepy behaviour of a paedophile. In fact, there's literally a term for it: It's 'grooming.'

Which McG's fans know, I presume, given that just last week we had someone cheerily remarking that McG should have had sex with Almiria before he died.
With McG dying and bad writing( most likely as a result of no screen time), we never really did find out McG's motivation for wanting to go through with the marriage.

Could it have been him wanting to protect her from the same experience he went through as a kid realizing if it wasn't him, she would have been pawned off on someone else as bad as his father? Or did he become as bad as his father due to his experience? Or was it a power play like how his father planned it to be just now used for his own agenda?

I am not ready to label McG as a pedo yet since we never really known his game plan/agenda with Almiria.
Old 2017-04-02, 08:11   Link #100
Overmars

Just like Gundam 00, the 2nd season is less satisfying than the 1st.

The start of S2 was great; remember the battle against the Dawn Horizon Corps? The series started to go downhill after the Mobile Armor arc, for me anyway.

Disappointed with the characterization of McGillis. Similarly, his characterization in the S1 at the start of the S2 was interesting, but changed when he realised that Gaelio is still alive.

I thought the final fight would be Mika/Barbatos vs McGillis/Bael or Mika/Barbatos vs Gaelio/Kimaris/Vidar. In the end neither happened.

In the S2 of Gundam 00, I will not forget the Setsuna/00 Raiser vs Ribbons/Reborn Gundam battle and then the Exia vs 0 Gundam. Added in the Hallelujah's and Lockon's battles in between too. For IBO S2, the final battles are not really memorable other than Akihiro crushing Iok. I guess IBO battles are much more realistic compared to 00.

An unsatisfying ending, nonetheless. For a series with 72 Gundams, we only get to see Barbatos being used to its full potential while the other Gundams not so much. I do enjoy the IBO series but I know it could have been better. Hope the next new Gundam series is more like IBO and 00 and less of AGE.
Overmars is offline   Reply With Quote