AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-05-28, 15:59   Link #1
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
The Concept of The Hero

Whether it would be the Ancient Greeks or even our own modern intrepretaion, everyone seems to have some idea of what a 'hero' is. Usually, the 'hero' is someone who has achieved fame by preforming a great feat in their lifetimes like Herakles, Achillies or Agammenon. They are worshipped as Gods and even hav cults mnamed after them. While we may not have those kinds of rituals, the Hero worship and the tales of great men of valor still occur today. It usually in manga, comic books, television, books, etc. but the term 'hero' varies from culture to culture. What the Ancient Greeks consider to be a hero is far different from what we today considered to be a hero.

Even now, we have variuos intepretations of what we consider to be a hero. Usually, the hero is noble, strong and powerful figure who defies odds and succeeds int heir goals. We all have our own concept of what a 'hero' is but what do you think of the hero concept?

Here are some links to help out:

http://www.suite101.com/content/what-is-a-hero-a101471

http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2009/0...e-akheans.html

http://athome.harvard.edu/programs/n...t_of_hero.html
Old 2011-05-28, 17:12   Link #2
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Whether it would be the Ancient Greeks or even our own modern intrepretaion, everyone seems to have some idea of what a 'hero' is. Usually, the 'hero' is someone who has achieved fame by preforming a great feat in their lifetimes like Herakles, Achillies or Agammenon. They are worshipped as Gods and even hav cults mnamed after them. While we may not have those kinds of rituals, the Hero worship and the tales of great men of valor still occur today. It usually in manga, comic books, television, books, etc. but the term 'hero' varies from culture to culture. What the Ancient Greeks consider to be a hero is far different from what we today considered to be a hero.

Even now, we have variuos intepretations of what we consider to be a hero. Usually, the hero is noble, strong and powerful figure who defies odds and succeeds int heir goals. We all have our own concept of what a 'hero' is but what do you think of the hero concept?

Here are some links to help out:

http://www.suite101.com/content/what-is-a-hero-a101471

http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2009/0...e-akheans.html

http://athome.harvard.edu/programs/n...t_of_hero.html
i will accept "defies the odds" but noble is really a western concept.
Old 2011-05-28, 17:45   Link #3
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Intelligent revolutionaries, benevolent great leaders, etc. Unfortunately the present world is lacking in both.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-28, 17:48   Link #4
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Intelligent revolutionaries, benevolent great leaders, etc. Unfortunately the present world is lacking in both.
they are a myth, the world never had any of these. The closet to being a benevolent Great Leader in Chinese history is Tang Tai Zhong and he killed both his brothers then force his father into retirement for the Job.
Old 2011-05-28, 17:49   Link #5
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
You got that right. One of the requirements of being a hero to them was already being dead.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-28, 17:49   Link #6
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
they are a myth, the world never had any of these.
I disagree. Everyone is looking out for themselves on some level, but there have been truly great people that left their mark on history. Of course, they've always been very rare types.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-28, 17:50   Link #7
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I disagree. Everyone is looking out for themselves on some level, but there have been truly great people that left their mark on history.
Great leader yes, benevolent leader yes, but a Great and Benevolent leader is a myth.
Old 2011-05-28, 18:12   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I've studied literature, film history, Greek history, philosophy... I could give a long, boring answer but my opinion is no better than anyone else's. Rather, since this is an anime/manga board let me give a very short, two-word answer that pops into my mind when thinking about what a hero is:

Himura Kenshin
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-28, 19:03   Link #9
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

A hero is larger then life. Everything he does is 1 or 2 magnitudes higher then everyone else.

I think the greeks had the right idea. The hero is not a paragon of virtue (that's a chivalric thing), instead he's a larger then life individual, with strengths and weaknesses. But his strengths and weaknesses are all greater then the average persons. He is not boring and mundane. Heracles was super strong, but he was also prone to fits of rage. The other most common weakness was pride, which really makes for good drama. Your hero performs great feats, he's clearly smart and strong, but he comes back with a swelled head. Also all his actions have great consequences. Whatever he does, it will effect the world around him.

Take Achilles, a lot of modern readers might find him overly prideful and vengeful, that he's too prone to his emotions. But noone could deny that he's great. Ironically, the antagonist hector is more typically "heroic" then Achilles, from a virtues standpoint. But of course, he's fighting for the wrong side .

So for me, a hero is someone that's impossible to ignore, that encapsulates qualities that you admire, but can also possess flaws that we can all fall prey too. He's an interesting person.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-28, 22:33   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Um, Joseph Campbell ... read his books (particularly The Hero With a Thousand Faces)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Campbell
http://www.jcf.org/new/index.php
Old 2011-05-28, 22:51   Link #11
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Rather, since this is an anime/manga board let me give a very short, two-word answer that pops into my mind when thinking about what a hero is:

Himura Kenshin
well, if we're getting into that...

Quote:
The other most common weakness was pride
Quote:
Also all his actions have great consequences. Whatever he does, it will effect the world around him.
and taking that as well...

my personal (and probably very messed up) opinion on a hero would be something like...

Spoiler for this:

meh, don't expect people to agree on me with this one
Old 2011-05-28, 23:17   Link #12
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
well, if we're getting into that...

and taking that as well...

my personal (and probably very messed up) opinion on a hero would be something like...

Spoiler for this:

meh, don't expect people to agree on me with this one
in the eastern concept these guys would be consider a 枭雄. There is no real equivalent in the western language but it sorts of translate to hero. People like CaoCao, Qin Emperor, Mao and Genghis khan would fall under this heading.
Old 2011-05-29, 01:00   Link #13
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
in the eastern concept these guys would be consider a 枭雄. There is no real equivalent in the western language but it sorts of translate to hero. People like CaoCao, Qin Emperor, Mao and Genghis khan would fall under this heading.
Closest interpretation in English would be an Anti-Hero.

Anyway, the meaning of hero had always been subjective depending on the victors and victims throughout history.

Classic example being Alexandra The Great. Lauded by the Greeks and Romans, hated with the Persians. Still do by their descendants today.

A recent modern day version will be Osama Bin Laden.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 01:20   Link #14
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
A recent modern day version will be Osama Bin Laden.
lies! he's still alive packing your bags at walmart
Old 2011-05-29, 03:03   Link #15
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
As the OP sort of stated, what a hero is all depends on who you're asking. But, I personally like how the Dresden files puts it (and note, I'm paraphrasing here): when you go into an impossible situation and come out alive. Otherwise, you're a fool.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-29, 04:11   Link #16
Knightrunner

I believe these people can represent the hero population

Spoiler for :):
Old 2011-05-29, 04:18   Link #17
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
I believe these people can represent the hero population

Spoiler for :):
including the guy who burned down a village, sent a planet-destroying meteor, and made thousands of fans cry by killing a flower girl?

hhmmm
Old 2011-05-29, 04:24   Link #18
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
including the guy who burned down a village, sent a planet-destroying meteor, and made thousands of fans cry by killing a flower girl?

hhmmm
I considered him a fallen hero. He use to represent justice and many people looked up to him. Haven't you seen his past?
I guess those Jenova cells gotten into his head.

Yes, the flower girl is a hero too.
Old 2011-05-29, 04:36   Link #19
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
I considered him a fallen hero. He use to represent justice and many people looked up to him. Haven't you seen his past?
I guess those Jenova cells gotten into his head.

Yes, the flower girl is a hero too.
well yeah i know he used to be the legendary soldier

it's all hojo's fault

and yeah, aerith is quite the hero, stopping meteor with holy like that
Old 2011-05-29, 04:48   Link #20
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
And no one loves the Pansy-Man.