AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: Rate Mai Otome
Perfect 10 11 6.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 25.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 40 24.54%
7 out of 10 : Good 47 28.83%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 9.20%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 4.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.61%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.61%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-15, 17:58   Link #21
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Oh you haven't see It? Yes a director cut ending
just some More Images of Happy Peaceful Shining Day (With the Op Single Shining Day Version) and one of them is a picture with alyssa and Miyu, some yellow canari like Alyssa in Mai Otome. But not the spectaculor thing... Midori return back and... Oh Shizuru appeared when Mikoto is going to die between Natsuki and Nao, she's missing in the original version...
Old 2006-04-15, 18:19   Link #22
justMartin
.gif noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
Who else thinks Gigi is going to be a main character in the next season, or maybe in the OVA, she gets a lot of screen time for a character that never talks, and her character design looks unique.
Who is Gigi? got a picture?
Old 2006-04-16, 05:04   Link #23
paTKany
Aasu Ⅷ

Send a message via MSN to paTKany
Quote:
Originally Posted by justMartin
Who is Gigi? got a picture?
Old 2006-04-16, 05:34   Link #24
AnimeFreak9

My thoughts overall:

The series had a lot of potential with its diverse and interesting cast of characters and the setup of the relationships between them. I really enjoyed the earlier episodes. However I feel the middle portion of the series stretched out a little too long and the ending episodes were kinda rushed, with TOO many major (and sometimes unexplained) events happening too quickly.

The last two episodes really soured me to the series as I feel they were cliched, fan-service laden and inconsistent.

(Note: Fan-service isn't just sexual: gratuitous displays of techniques, unnecessarily "cool" poses/actions etc. also count).

Below are some of the issues I had with the series:
(1) The fight scenes: Too many instances of: two Otome fly into each other, big explosion - then story moves on. Not enough detail. One such collision per series is enough.
(2) Tomoe (the green haired 'evil' otome with a flap of hair partially obfuscating her face) acted TOO sterotypically evil after she openly started attacking Arika, Yes Mister Bond, before I kill you, I'm going to explain all the evil I did...
(3) Too many instances of external figures rushing in and saving the day at the last second.
(4) Inconsistencies (e.g. Tomoe falling, unpowered, from the sky yet remaining seriously uninjured). Primarily in the latter episodes.

I'd give Mai Hime an 8/10. I'll give this series only a 5/10.
Old 2006-04-16, 06:09   Link #25
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFreak9
(4) Inconsistencies (e.g. Tomoe falling, unpowered, from the sky yet remaining seriously uninjured). Primarily in the latter episodes.
I fail to see how that's inconsistant, every character in My-Otome has survived near fatal experiences. I'm not surprised out little Comma-head had survived the fall.
Old 2006-04-16, 06:13   Link #26
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Men don't have the Chance...
Old 2006-04-16, 08:25   Link #27
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Fox
I fail to see how that's inconsistant, every character in My-Otome has survived near fatal experiences. I'm not surprised out little Comma-head had survived the fall.
There is actually: Aoi fell, but she was injured (quite badly). Hell, she was unconcious for a few days. Yet Tomoe, being de-robe (hence in a sense, at the same physical condition as a normal human) fell at the same or even greater height, and was able to violently take off the cloth that was used to cover her (not to mention that she had crashed through some buildings on the landing).

What...nanomachines giving girls super-human physical capabilities?
Old 2006-04-16, 08:27   Link #28
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
There is actually: Aoi fell, but she was injured (quite badly). Hell, she was unconcious for a few days. Yet Tomoe, being de-robe (hence in a sense, at the same physical condition as a normal human) fell at the same or even greater height, and was able to violently take off the cloth that was used to cover her (not to mention that she had crashed through some buildings on the landing).

Maybe Nanomachines reacts when you have Revenge and Anger lol
Old 2006-04-16, 12:56   Link #29
beachslacker

Characters:
Too huge a cast with not enough development of the characters. The only character that truly deserved a standover right from the start was Mashiro, from a spoilt princess to eventually a sensible queen. Also, I was hoping that they explained more of the 5 pillars. Beside Natsuki, Shizuru, Nao, the other 2 pillars just popup of nowhere and joined in the party to save the city. Let alone Mai and Mikoto who made a entrance suddenly, I still can't quite figure out what were they really for. And Sergay, he just did NOT know how to DIE!

Styles:
Can we skip the MaryAnn hairdos? Mai Hime stylings were so much better than Otome. And those robes needed abit more improvements.. tho I wanna complain, I hardly see Natsuki in her robe!

Plots:
Typical storyline of trying to takeover a city for technology, battle-style... perhaps not my cuppa tea. Preferred Mai Hime, at least it made more senses when the 12s fought with twist of plots and whys and MIPs that left a more human touch in the whole serie.

Spoiler for Teases:

Sidetracks:
We need more ShizNat!!!
Old 2006-04-19, 17:18   Link #30
dznutz

had i not seen mai hime then otome would be great.

hime had it all. action, romance, thrillers, nail biters, and ofcourse drama. it was the type of anime where you had to think.

otome, on the other hand, was straightforward...... for simple minded people.
Old 2006-04-20, 23:55   Link #31
Sabu113

beach says it well. Mai Hime was too good for Otome to be associated with it. Still it wasn't horrible.. 7 good out of 10.
Old 2006-04-24, 00:29   Link #32
MattAlchemy

Send a message via AIM to MattAlchemy Send a message via MSN to MattAlchemy
Quote:
Originally Posted by paTKany
Yeah then her best friend is Yuria, serious friend is Patricia, and the funny one is Kasumi. Then Yuria betrays her by summoning a monster and Patricia becomes an eternal enemy while Kasumi does some funny stuff. Then Bette get's jealous of Gigi because she gets all the love from... I don't know, Shizuru's twin or something. Della, Linda, and Robin are her mini friends! -_____________-

Anyway, I think I give it a 8/10 bcause they didn't rush much.
Old 2006-04-25, 14:15   Link #33
Keitarou-kun

Very simullary to all other Action/Comedy/Romance ect anime... i loved it though...

And i have a question to ask?

Will there be a new season with Mai-series

and if...

When will i be out in stores for my wallet to get empty :P

I live in hope from day to day, Wait for the atlantic delivery boat in bay...
If i find the answer to my wish, Mai-????? would be mine in a single swish

mina wa sama desu!
Sayoonara
:Keitarou:
Old 2006-05-02, 08:19   Link #34
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAlchemy
Yeah then her best friend is Yuria, serious friend is Patricia, and the funny one is Kasumi. Then Yuria betrays her by summoning a monster and Patricia becomes an eternal enemy while Kasumi does some funny stuff. Then Bette get's jealous of Gigi because she gets all the love from... I don't know, Shizuru's twin or something. Della, Linda, and Robin are her mini friends! -_____________-
Is that fanfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou-kun
Will there be a new season with Mai-series
Maybe... who knows... maybe we'll get a hint in the OVA...

:Hmm:... the general opinion seems to be that the story wasn't tolled right... as in... "good story but not as good story telling... "

Maybe watching the ep in different order would have been better...

#1. ep7 (cut the materialization)
#2. ep8
#3. ep9
#4. ep10
then cut all the fanservice and fill in the gaps here and there with flashbacks ... a jump might be needed...

Lets see for the rest of the ep...
Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-05, 01:32   Link #35
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I gave it a 6 in my review, but the rating system on my site is different from the one here, so that corresponds more with a 6.5, which when rounded up is a 7, so that's how I voted.

Otome's good points were how it flowed and the way it developed its main characters, but I just couldn't help but compare it with HiME, and as far as a comparison is concerned, Otome just can't hold up. Otome could never create a dramatic stanza as intense as HiME's final third and just wasn't as revolutionary and refreshing as its predecessor.

With that said, there's a lot of good in Otome, and as far as a fun action series is concerned, it delivers the goods. I think a lot of the negative reactions towards Otome have come from people who wanted a direct sequel to HiME, as opposed to an AU.... which I can't say I fully understand, since HiME's story is pretty much complete and there isn't a real need for a sequel. Oh well.

Overall verdict: Not as good as HiME, but lots of fun nonetheless.
Old 2006-05-13, 04:50   Link #36
mikage-aya

i unfortunatelly watched Mai Otome and then Mai Hime...

when i first saw Mai Otome i thought waw this is a great anime.. this was the impression for the first episodes.. but then.. i dunno everything seemed to go in the wrong direction.. someone said that the charecters were well introduced but this is taking too long and the plot doesn't have time to unfold... it's true.. and i didn't like the ending...

afterwards i watched Mai Hime... and i was surprised ...it was much better... i mean very well done .. all that u could ever want from an anime... and i somehow was happy cuz i felt that it also "repairing" the "mistakes" that were in the Mai Otome... and i liked the ending...
so i think that i'll give Mai Otome an 7.5 - 8

it's a good project ... but i could have been better
Old 2006-05-13, 11:10   Link #37
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze

Don't forget Haruka falling off a cliff onto rock in episode 10 without her robe activated.
Old 2006-05-22, 20:26   Link #38
Mouse_j

Lets start by saying I LOVED Mai-Otome!

Now, I have not made my way through all of Mai-Hime yet as it is licienced and being released in North America [I have principles ] But I was familiar with the characters and general idea before going into Otome.

Otome was bright and colourful when it needed to be and gut wrenching with muted colours at perfect times. [A side note, having watched Otome in subtitled form, I won't be able to watch it dubbed when it does come to north america. Not that this is a bad thing, the voices were EXCELLENT]

For specific comments and notes...

Spoiler for Mai-Otome:

Well, enough said.... Hope you all find this 'review' interesting.... its my first on this forum

Last edited by Mouse_j; 2006-05-23 at 02:27.
Old 2006-05-26, 19:36   Link #39
Mouse_j

Mai-Otome ---> Juuni Kokki?

Well, I had one of them crazy thoughts today... so I thought I would put it into words..

Has anyone ever compared the Meister Otome [MaiOtome] to the Kirin [Taiho] of Juuni Kokki? [If this comparison has already been done before on this board, just let me know, my ego can take it ]

Both are connected to their ruler, one dies, the other dies as well... Both are the most trusted confidant of their ruler. Both can be used in the even of attack or defence [though the Kirin's involvement is indirect]. The two maid differences that I can note are as follows...

One, the Kirin are set with their ruler/country from birth, the otome are selected by any country at graduation(typically).
Two, the Kirin placed their by 'god' to guide their ruler on the right path, to be a voice of reason[followed or not]. The Otome generally follow any order their ruler gives without question. [though Mashiro rightly challenges this concept in the last episodes]

Thoughts?
Old 2006-05-27, 03:07   Link #40
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse_j
Both are connected to their ruler, one dies, the other dies as well...
When the rulers die, the Kirin don't necessary die. Yoko is the second empress of Keiki.
Closed Thread