AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-18, 14:52   Link #221
Sol Falling

I have to echo the other voices which say that episode 2 was not as engaging was the first one, unfortunately. While I've got no particular problems with the plot, the comedy/character interactions lacked the tension of the first episode. Those dialogueless, intricately animated sequences of Sasami getting dressed or being waited upon by her brother spoke volumes more than, for example, this episode's use of caricatured manga faces.

Nonetheless, now that the plot premise has been laid out plainly, I guess it's time to see where this series goes with it. I would hope SHAFT can step up the future execution of the story back to the level of episode 1 (because half the time, that's precisely what makes a SHAFT show: the execution), but I'll settle to focus on the story for now.

One thing that did strike me as very amusing in this episode was how the brother just lay with his face down and ass up through the entire sequence "inside" the game world. There were the three Yagami sisters and Sasami talking about gods and stuff, and he just lay there not speaking or even moving. It was said that he was a brother who lacked "common sense" about normal reality, but given that up until recently it was actually Sasami who had Amaterasu inside her I now have to wonder what side of the world his brain actually resides on. If he is clueless about reality, but just as passive about this "gods" business, then does he really belong anywhere at all?
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 21:09   Link #222
mistress_kisara

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrnbluylw View Post
My biggest problem lies with the Yagami sisters; I didn't particularly like any of them, and I sympathized with Sasami when they totally raided her computer room. I do like Sasami's pissy attitude, but yeah, she could lighten up a bit ( and, oh yeah, SING THE ENDING SONG FOR ONCE). I'm sure we will see more significant character development as the series continues, however. It is too soon for me to make any long-term judgments.
I thought I was the only one who disliked the sisters. And yes, it is also the reason why I'm tip-toeing with this show
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-18, 21:42   Link #223
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

So Kamiomi is Haruhi and the 3 sisters are just something else
Old 2013-01-19, 00:03   Link #224
Grey

When Sasami went outside and collapsed I thought, "Maybe she has Amaterasu's disfavor for some reason?" But I'm not sure that makes sense if Kamiomi is channeling Amaterasu.

I guess channeling gods explained Sasami and Kamiomi's clothes in the opening. Unless they actually were part of a temple before but Sasami ditched and Kamiomi went with her. I don't know if that would make sense since Kamiomi's a teacher. Then again it doesn't look like teachers actually do much in this series!

I like all the characters but I favor Kagami for some reason. That internet connection, mmm.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 01:52   Link #225
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

Someone linked me to this post today and I have to say, there's a surprisingly wide range of symbols in these first two episodes. It also seems apparent that Shinbo really tried to cram a lot of meaning behind everything... and I admit I didn't recognize most of them. :P
Old 2013-01-19, 02:41   Link #226
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

only to manage to make one but here a freebie

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 08:44   Link #227
ultimate_noob
Skwid Fan

You're all taking this show too seriously like it has some sort of complex story.
ultimate_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 09:30   Link #228
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_noob View Post
You're all taking this show too seriously like it has some sort of complex story.
This is more or less exactly what we're supposed to be doing. Analyzing things if they present enough to be analyzed (such as the theological/mythological motifs here) is perfectly okay. In fact, I'd say it should be encouraged. A story doesn't need a "complex story" to be looked over and analyzed. It just needs to put forth some interesting ideas.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 09:43   Link #229
ultimate_noob
Skwid Fan

^ I guess most people here haven't studied Japanese myths? Or haven't got a chance to study them? Maybe a little knowledge from some articles in the net or something? Fair enough.
ultimate_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 20:16   Link #230
Amoiro Nguyen
lazy onee-sama

I'm enjoying this show so far. It's always nice to watch a good comedy.
Old 2013-01-21, 00:55   Link #231
Entravity

Still liking it as it is entertaining. It does explain a bit further which is nice but I still need to do more research.
Old 2013-01-21, 13:13   Link #232
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Old 2013-01-21, 14:58   Link #233
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

Didn't expect this series will be that good (to me), OP is the best of this season IMO.

Favorite character so far: Tsurugi-sensei
Syokool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 13:31   Link #234
Amoiro Nguyen
lazy onee-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syokool View Post
Didn't expect this series will be that good (to me), OP is the best of this season IMO.

Favorite character so far: Tsurugi-sensei
Yes, the opening is great. Tsurugi is also my favorite. I'm glad this anime turned out to be a pleasant surprise.
Old 2013-01-22, 13:58   Link #235
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Red>Black>Sasami>Yellow

Old 2013-01-22, 15:09   Link #236
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Tsurugi = hottest loli teacher since Becky.

And (perhaps not) coincidentally, she is also voiced by Chiwa Saito.
Old 2013-01-23, 03:53   Link #237
DorkingtonPugsly

I've been listening to the full OP, and right off the bat it just sounded overproduced. It's kinda weird but I guess I'll get used to it. I guess it goes along well with the show.
Old 2013-01-23, 11:29   Link #238
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Full OP remind me to ZAQ previous OP (Sparkling Daydream)

Old 2013-01-24, 14:30   Link #239
sirn
田舎者言うな

Spoiler:
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 01:47   Link #240
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I just got this to say:
The show might have deities as protagonists, but it is merciless at making Sasami's family shrine look really evil.

It seems they are going for the "Gods are good, but human organised religion can be freaky bad".

The author didn't hold anything back. Just because Shinto is a major religion of his country doesn't stop him from criticising extreme religious practices.

Tags
fantasy, romantic comedy, shounen