AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-18, 23:30   Link #481
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
I'm a bit disheartened that Kenshin's entire life philosophy is being distilled down to "being emo". In the first place, kendo is mostly a 20th century concept. To the people living before and during the Meiji Restoration, swordsmanship/kenjutsu was primarily about killing people.
You obviously didn't read my statement. I was describing that statement in particular not any philosophy. Kenshin had a tendency to get down on his life and being pessimistic about things. Obviously killing is not the only thing swords can be used for. He himself proved that many times. Kendo is just one example. Lets take jousting for example is that a 20th century concept? Most people first even then picked up weapons to defend there homes/families certainly that could entail killing someone but if killing is or becomes your primary purpose for having a sword then you're already halfway down the dark road to hell.
Old 2009-10-18, 23:49   Link #482
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
I'm a bit disheartened that Kenshin's entire life philosophy is being distilled down to "being emo".
You stole the words right out of my mouth. Kenshin is one of the greatest characters in manga/anime history, and his life was a tragic testament to the true nature of the sword.

Still, for all that, this was easily the best ep of the first three (despite Luke, far and away the most interesting character, being largely missing). Pretty interesting discourse on the nature of a soldier's existence.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 00:00   Link #483
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Oh poor Cecily, she is getting trashed from all angles in here.

One has to wonder how often experienced knights battle with demons and the like in this anime's universe. If it's something that hasn't happened in a while or something that happens rarely, many young knights have likely zero experience against them.

Cecily just happens to be one of them.

She though she could handle a battle (any battle) but was proven wrong by her own fear and hesitation. Cecily now has to understand her own limits and try to learn from her past mistakes. This leaves a lot of room for character development, wich actually makes me like her character.... if only for the possibilties of personal growth said character can have.
Old 2009-10-19, 00:21   Link #484
scr
my sides are in orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Oh poor Cecily, she is getting trashed from all angles in here.

One has to wonder how often experienced knights battle with demons and the like in this anime's universe. If it's something that hasn't happened in a while or something that happens rarely, many young knights have likely zero experience against them.

Cecily just happens to be one of them.

She though she could handle a battle (any battle) but was proven wrong by her own fear and hesitation. Cecily now has to understand her own limits and try to learn from her past mistakes. This leaves a lot of room for character development, wich actually makes me like her character.... if only for the possibilties of personal growth said character can have.
She MUST, for if she doesn't the conflict will take away the people dearest to her. You know, at this time one year ago there's a fallen paladin named Yomi. Alas, poor Yomi.

War... war never changes...
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 00:38   Link #485
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
She MUST, for if she doesn't the conflict will take away the people dearest to her. You know, at this time one year ago there's a fallen paladin named Yomi. Alas, poor Yomi.

War... war never changes...
*cough* Fallout *cough* and no, it never changes... until Solid Snake says so "War.. has changed..."
Old 2009-10-19, 00:52   Link #486
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
*cough* Fallout *cough* and no, it never changes... until Solid Snake says so "War.. has changed..."

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. One of these days, another game company has to come up with a response to these two.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 00:58   Link #487
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
You obviously didn't read my statement. I was describing that statement in particular not any philosophy. Kenshin had a tendency to get down on his life and being pessimistic about things. Obviously killing is not the only thing swords can be used for. He himself proved that many times. Kendo is just one example. Lets take jousting for example is that a 20th century concept?
Jousting, where they practice and show off their skill at killing?

Quote:
Most people first even then picked up weapons to defend there homes/families certainly that could entail killing someone but if killing is or becomes your primary purpose for having a sword then you're already halfway down the dark road to hell.
Acknowledging a sword is a deadly weapon, meant to kill people, doesn't make you a murderer. The purpose for the killing lies with the wielder, not the weapon.

Another thing I'd like Cecily to acknowledge is that skill's born from training, not the weapon, too. She spends so much time fooling around with Luke and Lisa, and yet she still sucks so very, very much.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 01:10   Link #488
OkamiNoKaze

I enjoyed Episode 2, the shattering of her armor made me wonder if the black material beneath it is part of the armor or seperate. the songs are starting to grow on me a bit. the ending is hilarious with poor Lily tripping over rocks, the first two makes sense, however the random rock in the cellar not so much.
Old 2009-10-19, 01:50   Link #489
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Jousting, where they practice and show off their skill at killing?
That was not it's purpose. It was a sport. It was about showing off for pride, honor. Like Football, Kendo and many other sports it was for recreation and entertainment with friends and comrades. Yes, at its core those abilities could be used on the field of battle but like you acknowledge the wielder decides what the purpose to employ their weapons/abilities towards.

Quote:
Acknowledging a sword is a deadly weapon, meant to kill people, doesn't make you a murderer. The purpose for the killing lies with the wielder, not the weapon.

Another thing I'd like Cecily to acknowledge is that skill's born from training, not the weapon, too. She spends so much time fooling around with Luke and Lisa, and yet she still sucks so very, very much.
You're correct but that not what he implies. He said "Swords are tools for muder" and implies that's there only purpose. He mocks her choices of a smaller, more defensive weapon for his more offensive 2 handed weapon.

Cecily certainly has a lot of room for character growth but that the entire premise of the show. I don't know if I can jump on her after 3 episodes when it clearly they're only now begin to flesh out her character and begin her growth. Once that happens I'll judge her on what she becomes. Hopefully her growth leads her to become a better person and not lead a life like Kenshin's where she becomes filled with regret about her past actions. He had to make choices while learning and so will she. Maybe she won't be cut to be a knight, who knows.

I think what she lacks is experience all the training in the world isn't going to make up for that. She handled herself well enough with the sword until she saw the blood and couldn't finish him off.
Old 2009-10-19, 07:15   Link #490
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
You're correct but that not what he implies. He said "Swords are tools for muder" and implies that's there only purpose. He mocks her choices of a smaller, more defensive weapon for his more offensive 2 handed weapon.
you sure thats not just his weapon of choice? Why would he mock her? Because he's a man and she's a woman? Right now he's doing her a favor by saying to stop being a knight. If he was mocking her he would prob have said "bring me my [insert sword type here]"

and this doesn't look like its set in a japanish setting, so I don't think theres kendo or "having fun with swords" if you would say that in this anime they would prob laugh at you.

the only reason I dislike her is because she Only became a knight because of her family haratege with no skills, a weak heart (freak out when kill someone). she's cute but i wish she was atleast trained some. because it doesn't seem like she was trained at all.
Old 2009-10-19, 07:50   Link #491
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Episode 3 was good. I was surprised it took Aria so long to transform.. lol. Cecily sure does have a lot of growing to do. But I think we'll find out that Luke does as well, they are obviously opposites and will teach each other and all that.

Well, Lisa & Aria made this episode anyway.
Old 2009-10-19, 08:32   Link #492
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Aria, you are one of the best swords ever. Yes, having a female form does help. Hopefully Cecily will get over her issue, but without going too far down the other path.
Old 2009-10-19, 08:37   Link #493
X10A_Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
however the random rock in the cellar not so much.
That cellar looks like a Blacksmith's (Luke's) workshop.
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 10:22   Link #494
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Lol, Razor Wind.

This anime really is so troperiffic.

I hope Cecily will hurry up and choose. Either she finds some guts or she decides she's not a fighter. Just choose, damn you.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 11:08   Link #495
klare

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Episode 3 was good. I was surprised it took Aria so long to transform.. lol.
i think sailor moon took longer transformation time, maybe she can change to sword earlier before going into battle

the story is getting more serious, ppl start dying in the city

gogo Cecily
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 11:11   Link #496
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Lol, Razor Wind.

I hope Cecily will hurry up and choose. Either she finds some guts or she decides she's not a fighter. Just choose, damn you.
not to mention she "breaks" a tree twig .. not cut... break... and acts like she's superior to Luke when talkin about it.
Old 2009-10-19, 12:41   Link #497
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by haak View Post
lol, razor wind.

Kaze no Kizu!!!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 13:23   Link #498
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
That was not it's purpose. It was a sport. It was about showing off for pride, honor.
The pride and honor of being good at the heavy cavalry business. At being warriors.

Quote:
Like Football, Kendo and many other sports it was for recreation and entertainment with friends and comrades.
You think soldiers toss a lot of inflated pig bladders on the battlefield? But knights used to charge with lances at other people... Much the same way they jousted.

Note, I don't deny that, despite their origins as practice for war and hunting, sports have another dimension. But it doesn't take away from the fact that, at the end of the day, a sword's made to kill people. Or as some kind of decoration or status symbol, but if that's what Cecily wants to use it for, isn't it even more pathetic?

Quote:
Yes, at its core those abilities could be used on the field of battle but like you acknowledge the wielder decides what the purpose to employ their weapons/abilities towards.
And whether you use your sword to protect the innocent or to mug him in an alley, you do so by using the fact it's a lethal weapon.

Quote:
You're correct but that not what he implies. He said "Swords are tools for muder" and implies that's there only purpose.
If I'm not mistaken, he said it's a tool to kill people. Which is true. Unlike, say, bows or spears, swords aren't hunting weapons. They're for killing human beings. That said, what do you do with that lethal force? Well, he's a knight, the same as Cecily. He uses to keep the peace and protect the people of his town. Except he actually does it, instead of just talking about it.

Quote:
He mocks her choices of a smaller, more defensive weapon for his more offensive 2 handed weapon.
I'm not sure what his beef against Cecily's weapon is, but there's not "defensive" or "offensive" sword. All fighting styles have different trade-offs, but aim for the same thing: to survive fights, and win them if possible.

I don't know that his weapon is more murderous than Cecily. In exchange for being heavy, the Zweihander is that it's good against armor. So he expects to fight other warriors with good equipment. OTOH, if I wanted to mug innocent people, I'd prefer Cecily's weapon. Lighter, more maneuverable... Of course, I wouldn't try it against armored soldiers.

Quote:
Cecily certainly has a lot of room for character growth but that the entire premise of the show. I don't know if I can jump on her after 3 episodes when it clearly they're only now begin to flesh out her character and begin her growth. Once that happens I'll judge her on what she becomes. Hopefully her growth leads her to become a better person and not lead a life like Kenshin's where she becomes filled with regret about her past actions. He had to make choices while learning and so will she. Maybe she won't be cut to be a knight, who knows.

I think what she lacks is experience all the training in the world isn't going to make up for that.
Actually, it should. Swing enough at man-shaped targets, or use tourney swords against sparring partners, and the real thing becomes easier. And it's not her first fight.

Quote:
She handled herself well enough with the sword until she saw the blood and couldn't finish him off.
A weapon you're not willing to use belongs to the enemy. Is that why she wanted a katana? So some random thug could take it from her and kill her and other innocents with it? How nice for Luke.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 14:37   Link #499
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Episode 3 was good. I was surprised it took Aria so long to transform.. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
i think sailor moon took longer transformation time, maybe she can change to sword earlier before going into battle
Gotta love anime bad guys for that. Always giving the good guys more than enough time to transform/and or power up.

Heck, even the monster at the beginning gave Luke enough time to forge his katana.
Old 2009-10-19, 16:00   Link #500
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

why do you all say he's mocking her sword? maybe he just likes using two handers? what is he mocking her because she's a woman?

and Aria seemed a bit sexist when talkin trash to him. so far I like him more than Cecily and Aria. he's a true knight.

Tags
adventure, fantasy, shounen