AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-01-21, 13:50   Link #2061
rip!

Is this game good? I mean, how much better than oblivion is it? I've read a little about skyrim in this topic and seen the demo but I didn't really get the feel of the game yet. I'm asking 'cause I'm going to buy a new PS3 game and it's like $200 + bucks in my country, so I have to be sure about spending it in the right game.

"It would be a lot easier
if these old emotions
could disappear without a word"
rip! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 14:42   Link #2062
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
There is a legitimate belief that it is intentional; after all, he IS an immortal follower. And as a magical dog who really wouldn't appreciate you avoiding finishing his quest to take advantage of his immortality, he would certainly want to be as much of a pain in the ass as he can. You are suppose to WANT to get rid of him; that's why the quest with the axe has that strange option.
Yes... Two of my characters used that "strange option" The other goodie-goodie one didn't though....

As for the game being "good"? We have nearly 60 pages of banter about it here - so that's one sign. Frankly, the main problem I see is playing it on a console (which cuts you out of the whole range of modding options available to PC users).
Old 2012-01-21, 19:32   Link #2063
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yes... Two of my characters used that "strange option" The other goodie-goodie one didn't though....

As for the game being "good"? We have nearly 60 pages of banter about it here - so that's one sign. Frankly, the main problem I see is playing it on a console (which cuts you out of the whole range of modding options available to PC users).
The way I see it, it's not a big loss. Modding in TES don't truly mature in each new game until a year or two after the construction kit gets released. By then, the PC version of the game would be discounted. If you wait for the expansion to come out first, the PC version would likely be heavily slashed in price to promote the expansion too.

I guess what I am saying is that if you buy PC version later for the mods, you are unlikely to need to pay full price for it.
Old 2012-01-22, 00:12   Link #2064
Sky Knight
Darkness Is In All Of Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip! View Post
Is this game good? I mean, how much better than oblivion is it? I've read a little about skyrim in this topic and seen the demo but I didn't really get the feel of the game yet. I'm asking 'cause I'm going to buy a new PS3 game and it's like $200 + bucks in my country, so I have to be sure about spending it in the right game.
I really never played oblivion, but I do like Skyrim, the only thing is its horrible glitched out >.< like HORRIBLE (Don't know if the rest are the same) I don't really know what kind of games you like soo...
Sky Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 00:48   Link #2065
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

If you think this is glitched out then you guys haven't seen the weird shit Gamebryo games like Oblivion and Fallout 3 to NV can do. The Gamebryo engine is a horribly buggy and unsupported POS.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 01:22   Link #2066
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

O.o I've seen very few glitches in comparison with many other games.... its not clear of little buggies but no game is. Most of the PC issues have been related to porting the game from console (UI oddities, use of RAM, etc).
Old 2012-01-23, 01:50   Link #2067
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I have a mod that allows you to use dragon souls for perk points because there are some perks I want without using a perk point on (ones you get from leveling up) but it'd be less fun if I just went hog wild with that mod, so I put up some restrictions. I only use dragon souls to get perk points on things I want but don't want to give up a 'regular' perk point for (like I used the mod to get the perk that allows you to sell anything to any merchant). But to make things more fun, I spent the money on five speechcraft lessons from a trainer, and reached a certain skill level of speechcraft, before using that mod to get that perk. I imagine my character learned the skills to get that perk via training. I won't use this mod for most perks I want, such as my archery perks, which I just want to level up the official way. I don't want to put a bunch of perks into skills I'm not really going to use, either, like magic skill trees. Although there is some temptation to throw some perk points into lockpicking and pickpocketing. If I use this mod for more perk points, I'll pay for a certain amount of lessons from trainers before getting an extra perk point, or in the case that a trainer can't train me (like if you are level 90 or above in a skill), I'll just level up the skill before getting a perk point (I had to do this with smithing).

Another example of what I was talking about is with smithing. I was leveling up the light armor side of the smithing skill tree, and then I found out that going that route and then reaching dragon armors doesn't allow you to proceed to draedric and ebony smithing (which I want for the weapons). I really don't want to put points in dwarven and orcing smithing, which I won't really use, so I used the dragon soul to perk points mod on those. I'll still use regular perk points for ebony and daedric smithing. I kind of cheated by using the mod to get arcane smithing, however, but I don't really use that, but did want it. For a lot of perks, I just get via the official way because I like it being like I earn them.

Also, I fast travel sometimes (quite often, really), but kind of dislike that, just a bit. It is so convenient, so I don't mind it much at all. I thought I'd like fast traveling better if I had a horse, and I could just imagine that traveling around on a horse would be better. I mean, if my character encountered enemies, they could speed away from them on a horse. It made fast traveling more legit, more realistic, if you do it with a horse. So I forked out the money on a horse, which I didn't really want initially; just for the sake of better justifying fast travel, hehe. I don't really fast travel on foot anymore.

Does anybody incorporate similar things into their Skyrim playing?

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-01-23 at 02:07.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 09:04   Link #2068
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I try to avoid fast travel.... but it kind of depends on my available time to play. Even when I use it, I try to make stops in the locations I might stop at if I were traveling normally. Otherwise I've avoided any perk or skill mods - though I might be tempted to respec my perks down the road.
Old 2012-01-23, 09:12   Link #2069
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Bought the game yesterday and played about 2/3 hours worth. Agreeing with Vexx regarding fast travel being avoided. I feel like i'm missing parts of the game if i do that.
Old 2012-01-23, 09:21   Link #2070
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

After 20 or so hours... it's hard to play the game efficiently without fast travel.

I really wish mounted combats,conversations and collection were viable. Even if it doesn't make sense to harvest plants on-top of your horse, I really disliked how I had to dismount for every single thing when my main aim is just to travel all the way across Skyrim for said minor quest.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 10:22   Link #2071
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
If you think this is glitched out then you guys haven't seen the weird shit Gamebryo games like Oblivion and Fallout 3 to NV can do. The Gamebryo engine is a horribly buggy and unsupported POS.
Its not the fault of the engine but how bethesda didn't used properly, other games that use the same engine and don't have technical problems: Bully, Catherine, Drift City, Divinity II, Sid Meier's Civilization IV, Tenchu: Shadow Assassins. I think there where more, bottom line is Gambryo is quite a capable engine, and its not the engines fault if its not used properly.
Old 2012-01-23, 10:52   Link #2072
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
After 20 or so hours... it's hard to play the game efficiently without fast travel.
Guess you have a point there. I'm only just seeing for myself how truly huge this map is. Fast travel will probably be used eventually.
Old 2012-01-23, 12:45   Link #2073
DuoRanger
Banned

there's a people planning to make a mod to make fast travel cost dragons souls
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 12:45   Link #2074
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Guess you have a point there. I'm only just seeing for myself how truly huge this map is. Fast travel will probably be used eventually.
Once you go down the same road a few times, pretty much all you might encounter is the random bandit or whatever after a point ... that's where I tend to use fast travel.
Old 2012-01-23, 12:50   Link #2075
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Once you go down the same road a few times, pretty much all you might encounter is the random bandit or whatever after a point ... that's where I tend to use fast travel.
Yeah, i've came across that myself a few times today. Doesn't help that i ended up using fast travel by mistake.
Old 2012-01-23, 12:57   Link #2076
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I think maybe I could use fast travel less, but it is very convenient to have. I don't always use fast travel, or sometimes, I might use fast travel to a certain point, and then go from there to a certain point on foot (or just explore). Like some poster said, it is hard to play the game efficiently, as they put it, without fast travel. If I had not used fast travel at all so far, I'd be significantly behind compared to the progress I've made in the game, and even with fast travel, there is so, so much I haven't done in the game regarding finding more locations, going through more dungeons, forts, and caves, and doing quests.
Old 2012-01-23, 16:10   Link #2077
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post

I really wish mounted combats,conversations and collection were viable. Even if it doesn't make sense to harvest plants on-top of your horse, I really disliked how I had to dismount for every single thing when my main aim is just to travel all the way across Skyrim for said minor quest.
I have the telekinesis spell. It would totally make sense for my character to be able to harvest from his horse. Or, for that matter, pull levers and open chests at a distance. Why did they have to make the spell so useless?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 18:55   Link #2078
DuoRanger
Banned

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6912

RUN!
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 22:26   Link #2079
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuoRanger View Post
there's a people planning to make a mod to make fast travel cost dragons souls
Why would anyone want that?

That'd be like Far Cry 2 where it took forever to get from one spot to another.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 00:00   Link #2080
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ehhh, time for more pretty pictures ---

Anju, my little necromancer ghoul (omnomnom) girl and her resigned-to-her-fate companion Lydia...

Glycerin, my magical assassin girl.. probably the easiest on my eyes to follow her backside through the world of Skyrim, the kill animations look very graceful with her ...

Glycerin about to fill a blacksmith's wife with marital angst and jealousy...

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-01-24 at 01:10. Reason: fixed thumbnails
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim