AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-04, 23:55   Link #1841
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I thought that bit was pretty obvious, since she clearly stated not being able to stand Galaxy, even though it was her home...

Old 2008-10-04, 23:57   Link #1842
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Great. So she didn't even have friends on Galaxy. Good to know.
Considering her "dumpster" lifestyle before Grace and the "workaholic" lifestyle she lived after... I'm not the least bit surprised.

Which is why her transition to Frontier was pivotal for her to regain touch with her "real" self. The one that wasn't all work, but just herself.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-10-04, 23:59   Link #1843
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I thought that bit was pretty obvious, since she clearly stated not being able to stand Galaxy, even though it was her home...
Everytime I questioned her sincerity in wanting to find Galaxy and believeing it was safe against all odds!!!...people would tell me she really cared. If she didn't even bat an eyelash at wtfpwning it in the final episode, I guess that's all that needs to be said about that.
Old 2008-10-05, 00:00   Link #1844
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Exactly, TwilightHack. And, frankly, anyone who doesn't notice how much her character changed and evolved after getting to Frontier and getting to know it's people (okay, mainly Alto and Ranka, but that's already more than just Grace) just wasn't paying enough attention to the show - or was watching something else entirely.

And, Wesley84, really... batting an eyelash? It was clear to anyone paying a bit of attention that there weren't much possibilities of survivors being aboard the Galaxy. This is just nitpicking on your part.
As for her caring about what happened to the fleet, at around episode 6... of course she cared about it. You don't really have to like or love something or someone to care about it, now have you? It's an innate human condition to be interested in things, even if they are harmful to you or yours.

Old 2008-10-05, 00:11   Link #1845
Wesley84

No, the situation on Galaxy wasn't clear, least of all to someone like Sheryl who's job was simply to sing. If she's going to run claiming that she cares about Galaxy, that she believes it's safe, she should at least show some misgivings about blowing it, and the MILLIONS of people on it away.

So, I stand by what I've always suspected. She's full of it. She was lying in episode six. She was lying in episode seven. She was lying in episode eight. She was lying in episode...11? And that's pretty much the last we hear of Sheryl being concerned about Galaxy. After that it's all me, me, me, and Alto&me, Alto&me, Alto&me.
Old 2008-10-05, 00:20   Link #1846
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I disagree and believe you're trying - and failing - to go for the same shallow assessment of Sheryl's personality that I've been familiar with for the past, what, four, five weeks? If anything, you're consistent - at least, for a while. So, I won't argue this point with you. No reason, really.

And it was pretty obvious that Battle Galaxy was a goner, to anyone paying the least bit of attention to the battle - and Sheryl was doing exactly that, if her screen showing what happened to Alto - as it happened - could have given you any hints toward this point. The fighters were all automated, Grace was connected to it... really, what more could someone infer from that? That the millions of people aboard Galaxy were going along with the attempted destruction of another fleet? Come on...

Old 2008-10-05, 00:22   Link #1847
Wesley84

She is shallow. She only cares about singing and Alto.

Anyone who says otherwise is flat out wrong.
Old 2008-10-05, 00:24   Link #1848
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

And that's why you fail, man...

Old 2008-10-05, 00:26   Link #1849
Wesley84

I won. All the people that claimed she cared about Galaxy, were proven wrong. That's enough for me.
Old 2008-10-05, 00:31   Link #1850
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Haha, BetoJR, TwilightHack did you guys really try to change Wesley84s opinion? You'll have much easier time going into space in your own spaceship then that Wesley84 really does have his own selective perception. Drugs and violence may change that but not words

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2008-10-05, 00:37   Link #1851
Wesley84

The both of them agreed with me in essence.
Old 2008-10-05, 01:20   Link #1852
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

@ BetoJR - Don't let yourself get trolled. Sure Wesley comes off as abrasive but sometimes he brings up good points through a different PoV.

@ Urei - His opinion is his, my opinion is my own. People always have different opinions due to perception, and while I can't force anyone to change their opinion.... I can defend my own in a way that might be influential to the other.

Quote:
The both of them agreed with me in essence.
Well only on the fact that she lived a live the prevented her from having any personal attachments to Galaxy.

But I do disagree on the point that she was "full of it."

How should I put this... in Episode 6 we're clearly told by her (in her true vulnerable state) that even if she didn't like Galaxy, it was her home and that's why she cared. Now that reasoning was most likely not out of personal relationships there, but out of loyalty to your home no matter how bad it was. That is why I do believe that she was not "full of it" in Ep6 or Ep7.

Through Ep6-Ep11 we have Sheryl going through a series of changes when she was allowed herself to dabble in the lifestyle she was never experienced. School, friends, activities that weren't only for work... for once, she was living.

So then we get to Episode 11. At this point she's living a normal teenage life on Frontier (you can consider her stardom on the back-burner or like a part-time job) and enjoying it. But when she hears about Galaxy and the potential for survivors on Galia 4, her thoughts of loyalty to her home were awakened. So when she gets the chance, she takes it. So happens she remembers Alto's birthday and asks if he wants to wants to come along to a real sky.

But is she really into finding Galaxy at this point? I'd say no at about a 75:25 ratio for Frontier... due to her experiences on Frontier vs what she had on Galaxy.

That being said, even if she wasn't fully into Galaxy by the time Ep 11 came around, it's a stretch to say she was "full of it." To be "full" requires a 100 percent and I don't believe her loyalty towards Galaxy had dwindled completely to 0... yet.

I think that point came when she gave herself in entirety to Alto... body, mind, and soul in Episode 22.

And truthfully Wesley, is devoting yourself to the things you love make you shallow? I certainly hope not because that would make for a lot of shallow people.

Last edited by TwilightHack; 2008-10-05 at 01:40.
Old 2008-10-05, 04:52   Link #1853
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
Considering her "dumpster" lifestyle before Grace and the "workaholic" lifestyle she lived after... I'm not the least bit surprised.

Which is why her transition to Frontier was pivotal for her to regain touch with her "real" self. The one that wasn't all work, but just herself.
Come to think of it. I do remember her acting all bitchy a mean on EP1. Then gradually became being bitchy but now playful when she met Alto.
Old 2008-10-05, 05:50   Link #1854
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
@ BetoJR - Don't let yourself get trolled. Sure Wesley comes off as abrasive but sometimes he brings up good points through a different PoV.
I'm like sandpaper.

Quote:
@ Urei - His opinion is his, my opinion is my own. People always have different opinions due to perception, and while I can't force anyone to change their opinion.... I can defend my own in a way that might be influential to the other.
I'm invested in taking Sheryl down a peg. Since the only one in the series that really did that was Grace, I guess that makes me evil by association.

Quote:
Well only on the fact that she lived a live the prevented her from having any personal attachments to Galaxy.
Even orphan brats form attachments. Ever see/read Olvier Twist/Annie? Besides, she was raised to be an Idol. She had to have met people, instructors, mentors, things of that nature. None of them meant anything to her? Even Grace didn't seem to mean anything to her, as Sheryl was more distraught over her career than a friend that had seemingly abandoned her.

Quote:
How should I put this... in Episode 6 we're clearly told by her (in her true vulnerable state) that even if she didn't like Galaxy, it was her home and that's why she cared. Now that reasoning was most likely not out of personal relationships there, but out of loyalty to your home no matter how bad it was. That is why I do believe that she was not "full of it" in Ep6 or Ep7.
She lied on TV for the government.

Quote:
Through Ep6-Ep11 we have Sheryl going through a series of changes when she was allowed herself to dabble in the lifestyle she was never experienced. School, friends, activities that weren't only for work... for once, she was living.
She didn't make friends at school, and she only used the school as a PR department for the government.

Quote:
So then we get to Episode 11. At this point she's living a normal teenage life on Frontier (you can consider her stardom on the back-burner or like a part-time job) and enjoying it. But when she hears about Galaxy and the potential for survivors on Galia 4, her thoughts of loyalty to her home were awakened. So when she gets the chance, she takes it. So happens she remembers Alto's birthday and asks if he wants to wants to come along to a real sky.
It wasn't on the backburner. She made a movie, did PR work, etc. She only concerned herself with the stupid birthday the entire time she was on Gallia IV as well.

I wish she did some real work while on Frontier. Sheryl grabbing a giant pair of panties and writing song lyrics on it was an isolated incident and was her finest moment. Being a creative, inspired, person was when she was at her best, but we mostly got meaningless attitude from her when she wasn't on stage, and in a way she had just as many problems while actually performing because it sucked the life and budget out of the production in order for her to do it.

They should just fuse Sheryl and Ranka together in the movie. Frontier simply isn't big enough for the both of them.

Quote:
But is she really into finding Galaxy at this point? I'd say no at about a 75:25 ratio for Frontier... due to her experiences on Frontier vs what she had on Galaxy.
Until they show Grace whiping her for not hitting a high note, I'm going to say it's Sheryl's fault her life on Galaxy sucked.

Quote:
And truthfully Wesley, is devoting yourself to the things you love make you shallow? I certainly hope not because that would make for a lot of shallow people.
When she only loves Alto, a goddamn actor that only humors her, it does.
Old 2008-10-05, 06:48   Link #1855
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
I'm like sandpaper.
No comment.

Quote:
I'm invested in taking Sheryl down a peg. Since the only one in the series that really did that was Grace, I guess that makes me evil by association.
*sigh* If that really is your stance... I guess it is pointless to continue. Though its mostly because I don't have quite enough time to be able to respond properly...

Old 2008-10-05, 06:57   Link #1856
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Well, being a star means that there are some things that need to be sacrificed at >_>; To lie at certain point is somehow pretty logical for me.

Aaaand anyway ~ What happened here ? ^^;

Old 2008-10-05, 16:59   Link #1857
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Ah I was just thinking about the government thing, I was under the impression that she was only under their influence from Ep23 onward. And even then she knew exactly what she was doing.

I don't think any of her PR/comments were a result of the Government pre Ep23.

Old 2008-10-05, 17:45   Link #1858
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

This discussion won't go anywhere, as Wesley will never admit to having watched another show, other than Macross Frontier and confusing the heck out of things.

Oh, he was banned again? Is it a trend, now?

Old 2008-10-05, 23:35   Link #1859
CeruleaFeng
2qt2bstr8 ♥♥

Send a message via MSN to CeruleaFeng
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
This discussion won't go anywhere, as Wesley will never admit to having watched another show, other than Macross Frontier and confusing the heck out of things.
I've noticed this as well. A shame, as he's missing out on quite a good show, and many fun characters. Sheryl especially.

Quote:
Oh, he was banned again? Is it a trend, now?
Seems to be that way.
Old 2008-10-06, 06:26   Link #1860
kilroy0097
Michiko Malandro = Sexy

I thought Wesley84 and BleachOD getting banned was a monthly thing? I figure it mimicked the lunar cycle or something.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters