AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-14, 22:55   Link #221
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
I've thought about this point, too. Does anyone in Japan feel nostalgic for the pre-war years, in the same "Gone With the Wind" sense that Americans in the "Old South" still feel about the days before the Civil War?
The Taishou era would probably evoke the same kind of feeling of innocence that the turn of the Twentieth Century evoked in much of the Western World. It also contrasts rather strongly with the upheaval of both the preceding Meiji era and the violence of the Showa era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrostratucat View Post
Which is why I find it strange that show like K-On can became so popular outside Japan. I thought foreigner, especially in Western love baseball, right? Or maybe it is just me who think like that ^^a
Quite simple - in the West, sports anime have never been particularly popular. Even some of the best of these shows; Slam Dunk, Hajime no Ippo and Hikaru no Go, all of these were unable to even finish their initial R1 DVD runs.

K-On and TYM work on very different levels, and so there's no reason to think that they have similar kinds of appeal. Although to be honest, I'm a bit surprised that the show isn't more popular given how accessible and how well-crafted it is.
Old 2009-08-17, 20:57   Link #222
typhonsentra

I'm embarassed to say I thought Tomoe was after Akiko before this episode. Guess everyone just wants a piece of Koume.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 21:22   Link #223
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I'm embarassed to say I thought Tomoe was after Akiko before this episode. Guess everyone just wants a piece of Koume.
Well, you have to remember that Koume is quite the catch(er). I'll never forgive myself for saying that.
Old 2009-08-17, 22:57   Link #224
Greenish Growth

Not sure why, but I found myself paying attention to Noriko's knees in the seventh episode for some unknown reason.

It's not like I'm in the habit of regularly staring at anime girl's knees. Honestly.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 00:34   Link #225
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Razajev View Post
Well, you have to remember that Koume is quite the catch(er). I'll never forgive myself for saying that.
lol no you should never forgive yourself and nor shall I!

but I'll admit it made me chuckle just cause of how bad it is. Its just like my friend always came out with these god awful jokes, you just had to laugh at how bad they were

One thing that struck me during ep 7 is how ojou-sama Akiko is yet I'm still loving the little pouts and expressions, she's probably the cutest spoiled and stuck up girl around

Humor continues to be spot on and consistent plus they keep with the little things which just keeps me entertained throughout.

love this series!
Old 2009-08-18, 13:07   Link #226
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
lol @ the ending ball there.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 05:53   Link #227
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Ronin female street batters challenging middle school ace picthers at night might just be the most unique form of delinquency ever conceived in the history of universal eternity. Ronin female street pitchers challenging middle school ace batters at night are likewise part of said form of eternal history shattering universe. This series needs more AkikoxKoumexTomoe.

Jealous pitcher Akiko is made of win and lol. Props to Nakahara Mai's characterization and voicing. Also, inadvertent use of of your gender to get a copy of the batting statistics is hilarious.

Everything involving the entire team going street was such complete hilarity I almost gagged on my own tongue. Proof that you can do girls doing thier cute things without sacrificing said things.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2009-08-19 at 10:43.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 17:42   Link #228
Dop
Mmmm....

That was a very very silly episode, but quite hilarious. I loved it, especially the bit when they're hiding behind the bushes, pan left, and there are the burglars.
As for Akiko's 'magic ball' - ouch!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 19:15   Link #229
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
This series needs more AkikoxKoumexTomoe.
I wonder how long before Kyouko realizes that Tomoe is interested in Koume and gets jealous. Or maybe Shizuka will get jealous first. Nah, I doubt the series would go down that route. So I have no idea why that thought crossed my mind.
Old 2009-08-19, 19:59   Link #230
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

I'm more concerned on how the others will react if they found out that Koume has a fiance too.
Akiko and Tomoe in this episode were hilarious. The" tug-of-war" scene is probably my favorite this episode. :3

Ah~ I'm loving this show even more.
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 21:57   Link #231
mrjpark
Raging Ami-chan fanboy

Yay for yuri jealousy!
Old 2009-08-19, 22:38   Link #232
Cirrostratucat
絶対領域

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirrostratucat
Episode 7 was hilarious! Absolutely loving this episode from the start until finish. It's really fun to see jealous Akiko trying to compete with Tomoe over Koume.

Spoiler for ep 7:
Cirrostratucat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 03:11   Link #233
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

No more Hilarious pitching style from Akikou eh I will miss that
Underhand style from Kyouko is very hot.

Its surprise me this show become one of my fave this season. The Story and Chara Development really so great. JC Staff deserve for hailed because 2 work from them come with very high quality (TaiYaMu and Aoi Hana)

Last edited by fertygo; 2009-08-20 at 23:22. Reason: lol
fertygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 03:12   Link #234
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
.....Asian or Japanese? I would hardly say that baseball has the same relevance in other parts of Asia as in Japan.....yet, at least.
Obviously, Japan has that intense love for the game, though we're seeing more of a presence from Chinese/Taiwanese players and the Koreans damn near beat Japan in the WBC before Yu Darvish rescued Japan that final game.

As for the Taisho era, I agree with 4Tran there. I even have relatives who lived through that era and it simply was a time when Japan was almost at the point of pure innocence. Even though it went through hell with the Meiji era to crush rebellion to get there.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 16:35   Link #235
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

I usually don't care at all for baseball (and cricket) but surprisingly I'm enjoying this show and Cross Game a lot.

Everytime they show those birds flying off in the sunset I expect them to make "aho... aho... aho...". Haven't seen that trope in ages.
don_Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 21:59   Link #236
Midonin
Last Engage

Since we have a lull this week, a side bit of news that I find interesting.

The series will be getting a PSP game based on it. The theme song for the game, Asami Imai's "kissing a dream", will be the B-side to "Strawberry ~Amaku Setsunai Namida~", which is the ED theme to this fall's Nyan Koi!.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 23:19   Link #237
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
No more Hilarious pitching style from Kyouko eh I will miss that
Underhand style from Kyouko is very hot.

Its surprise me this show become one of my fave this season. The Story and Chara Development really so great. JC Staff deserve for hailed because 2 work from them come with very high quality (TaiYaMu and Aoi Hana)
you mean Akiko right??

Kyouko is Tomoe's kouhai and fangirl...
CMIIW...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 12:41   Link #238
Chrono Helix

Ep 5
Spoiler:

Ep 6
Spoiler:

Ep 7
Spoiler:

Last edited by Chrono Helix; 2009-08-22 at 13:31.
Chrono Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 20:55   Link #239
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The Taishou era would probably evoke the same kind of feeling of innocence that the turn of the Twentieth Century evoked in much of the Western World. It also contrasts rather strongly with the upheaval of both the preceding Meiji era and the violence of the Showa era.
Uh-uh, it's the same time as the Roaring Twenties in the US and the Golden Era of the Wiemar Republic in Germany. It's only with the thirties that people start going war crazy. Luckily, the girls have a positive relationship with Anna-Sensei, so they'll know that Americans aren't as bad as wartime propaganda would imply. Really funny show with heaps of character, BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
As for the Taisho era, I agree with 4Tran there. I even have relatives who lived through that era and it simply was a time when Japan was almost at the point of pure innocence. Even though it went through hell with the Meiji era to crush rebellion to get there.
Didn't the Meiji revolution succeed in replacing the Shogun with the Emperor? There were some other rebellions as well...?
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 21:54   Link #240
zetsubou-san
suicidal self-flagellator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
Uh-uh, it's the same time as the Roaring Twenties in the US and the Golden Era of the Wiemar Republic in Germany. It's only with the thirties that people start going war crazy. Luckily, the girls have a positive relationship with Anna-Sensei, so they'll know that Americans aren't as bad as wartime propaganda would imply. Really funny show with heaps of character, BTW.

Didn't the Meiji revolution succeed in replacing the Shogun with the Emperor? There were some other rebellions as well...?
There is the Satsuma Rebellion of 1877 which had been popularized by the film "The Last Samurai."

I would also expect resistance from conservative elements to the rapid modernization of Meiji and Taisho.
zetsubou-san is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, japan, seinen